• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Death Stranding |OT| Peace Walker

Oct 27, 2017
Would appreciate it if someone could answer a couple of my questions.

1. Is it worth playing the game now on just a base PS4 when I have a 4k TV? I don't plan on getting a pro so I would have to wait until pc or ps5 if not.

2. I know basically nothing about the game and want to keep it that way but I believe there's some sort of shared world feature where if you build a ladder it might show up in someone else's game. Does this mean it's too late for me to start playing now and if I do there will be structures all over the place that make the game super early and lead me straight to the end of the game? Thanks.

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
OT title should be: GET OUT OF CH. 2
* if people are finding it a drag. Which many people don't.

Few thoughts from an earlier post:
I think people should avoid telling others to rush to Chapter 3 unless they're actually finding Chapter 2 a slog. The pacing is massively different in how you approach deliveries and you definitely lose some of the enjoyment of the more strict delivery system (in favour of fun in different things). I think Chapter 3 and the tools are abso-fuckin-lutely great but I spent 12hrs or so in Chapter 2 and really liked the challenges you have from the limited toolset. So for people enjoying that, rushing them forward means cutting that enjoyment short in favour of getting to a different type of challenge/fun.

Snakeeee

Jan 20, 2019
I'm at the end of Chapter 8. If I do strictly story stuff now, how long til the end?

I'm 28 hours in and ready for this to be over. As much as I like the game, the story moves at a snail's pace. I even started skipping the Bunker Dialogue with the survivors.
It is fast, i whould say like 5 to 8 hours if you whatch the cutcenes.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019

1. Is it worth playing the game now on just a base PS4 when I have a 4k TV? I don't plan on getting a pro so I would have to wait until pc or ps5 if not.

2. I know basically nothing about the game and want to keep it that way but I believe there's some sort of shared world feature where if you build a ladder it might show up in someone else's game. Does this mean it's too late for me to start playing now and if I do there will be structures all over the place that make the game super early and lead me straight to the end of the game? Thanks.
It's pretty cleverly weighted so you only see stuff after you've already gotten to where it would take you. The details are still opaque, but that's the general experience.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Question 1 I wouldn't know since I play on pro, a friend of mine has it on base PS4 and he says it looks great!

For question 2, yeah, you can find objects built by other players, it won't be too late to start, there are conditions to get the items to show up, you won't find any end-game stuff right at the start

astro

Oct 25, 2017

How do other 1080 games look on your TV set? This game looks stunning on base consoles, and while it is 30fps it is very smooth.

No, the game has a smart system that pulls in a limited (up to 100) amount of players, and only shows a limited amount of contributions per area. You also need to unlock areas of the map first by traversing without any aid, before these contributions will show up, and it won't show more advanced builds and unlocks until you obtain them yourself.

Blade Wolf

Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Im at the end of chapter 3. Why should i continue to finish roads when it appear the ones i finished doesnt show im the owner anymore and doesnt give me likes. Was at 2k the first day and now every day is like 500 likes
...........you do everything only for likes? I guess this is why I hate the like system, people are now obsessed with it.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
So, if you're in the habit of running over MULEs and clearing their camps...be on the lookout for regular porters. They aren't that hard to tell apart (MULE cargo is orange instead of blue), but the first couple times I saw them I panicked a bit when their odradek flashed yellow at me. And I might have run them over.

But, yeah, don't do that. I lost 10k fucking likes for running one over, and that time it wasn't even intentional - one of them stepped out from behind the wall next to the terminal in a distribution center right into my truck. I just reloaded the save because that was almost a quarter of my total likes.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I’m playing on a base ps4 on a 4K tv and it looks absolutely amazing. And plays very well, I’m 13h in and didn’t have any noticeable technical hiccups. I’d say go for it if you want to play it.
Regarding the structures and online components, I think the system handles this well. You can only see stuff after you actually unlock them, there is always some stuff built by NPCs. Regarding how the game will feel months from now there’s no way of knowing it, but I bet the system is ready for that

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I think people should avoid telling others to rush to Chapter 3 unless they're actually finding Chapter 2 a slog. The pacing is massively different in how you approach deliveries and you definitely lose some of the enjoyment of the more strict delivery system (in favour of fun in different things). I think Chapter 3 and the tools are abso-fuckin-lutely great but I spent 12hrs or so in Chapter 2 and really liked the challenges you have from the limited toolset. So for people enjoying that, rushing them forward means cutting that enjoyment short in favour of getting to a different type of challenge/fun.
Yeah, I actually think I liked chapter 2 just as much, or more than chapter 3.

Really taking my time with this game since I'm loving it. 25 hours in, still on chapter 3.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, what does version 1.05 do? Been busy lately and don't have time for game.
The last one was a bunch of fixes that didn't go into specific detail, I can't seem to find patch notes for this one but I'm assuming it's more of the same.

Performance, tuning, etc... sadly they don't detail what these things are.

Oct 25, 2017
So, if you're in the habit of running over MULEs and clearing their camps...be on the lookout for regular porters. They aren't that hard to tell apart (MULE cargo is orange instead of blue), but the first couple times I saw them I panicked a bit when their odradek flashed yellow at me. And I might have run them over.

But, yeah, don't do that. I lost 10k fucking likes for running one over, and that time it wasn't even intentional - one of them stepped out from behind the wall next to the terminal in a distribution center right into my truck. I just reloaded the save because that was almost a quarter of my total likes.
Yeah, there was one moment for me when they were chilling outside of a distro center and I did my best to avoid them, but they still almost walked right in front of my truck like a bunch of bumbling idiots. Even did like a comedy pratfall move as they dove out of the way. Made me nervous. I'm glad I didn't hit them, seeing as how you lost likes for it. I would've been furious.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game in a little over 44 hours.

Overall enjoyed the route optimization, exploration, and online social elements. There were some tedious scripted encounters in the back third of the game.

Dec 6, 2017
US

I'm actually with you. I don't get the whole "rush to more tools" thing I've seen so much in here. I mean I know it's a personal preference ultimately but I took my sweet ass time and really enjoyed the slow build-up of being super limited and enjoying every climbing anchor etc. to more options.

Woah, what does version 1.05 do? Been busy lately and don't have time for game.
Man, what if it eliminated BT intro cutscenes...I'd shit myself in delight, scaring off real-life BTs in the process.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Im so glad i learned my lesson with RDR 2. Mainline the game and do side stuff later if i care.

Beat the game last night at the timer at 35hrs played. Played on normal.

Went from 8/10 after 15hrs, to 9/10 after 28hrs.

BB soothed 18 times
Urinated 5 times
Switched shoes 25 times
Did not have any cargo destroyed during mission by timefall
Did not cause any voidouts

Edit: my takeaway: people afraid of "chores" should try Don't Starve to get a sense of what chores mean....

Dec 21, 2017

The rush to chapter 3 thing really bothers me too. I don't know how that spread like wild fire because 2 of my friends heard the same thing and don't read era. I told them to take their time and play at their own pace.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Looks to me like Troy Baker really enjoyed his role in this game
yeah but Higgs is still like a comic book villain to me...could be directly out of a superhero movie

The rush to chapter 3 thing really bothers me too. I don't know how that spread like wild fire because 2 of my friends heard the same thing and don't read era. I told them to take their time and play at their own pace.
this. people should take their time and go to the contacts on the map, i discovered the musician from the first area 2/3 into the game really regretted that.

besides that, the game can easily last weeks or months like BOTW if someone wishes to...

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

1. I'm playing this through a launch PS4 on a 4K OLED. It looks absolutely stunning. Am sure it will look great on most screens but if your set can do HDR then all the better.
2. Nah, I'm not 100% on how the online / shared world stuff actually works as I've not experienced it myself, but from what I gather it's not literally a shared world where all players contribute stuff. That would probably get a bit ridiculous haha. Think there's probably a limit to how much player-built stuff shows up in certain areas, how many of a particular type, etc etc. So I think you'll be fine regardless of when you jump in.

No Idea

Mar 18, 2019
Just made it to Chapter 3, gonna use
Fragile
to go back and finish some orders. Also, I didn’t know you could place that beaten up Trike in the garage and repair it! Looks good as new now.

solidussnaku

Nov 29, 2017
Clocked 30 hours and still in chap 2. PLZ HELP.

Standard deliveries are addicting and playing as a low fi delivery guy is amazing.

Haha never been so engrossed in a game like this for years. Think last one was gta5 like 6 years ago.

Oh and for those who want the own music player, just do what I did and use the in built spotify function on the ps4 and there are plenty of low roar inspired playlists and albums to listen to while you deliver.