• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Had this hilarious moment in Chapter 5

I was carrying Mama to Mountain Knot and right near the end she was in this exposition. I fell backwards off a rock and she took the whole blow. Sam was like "Oh my god, I'm so sorry" and she continued after affirming she was OK 😂

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
How did you manage that when he doesn't join the chiral networl until after that mission?
You know, what I'm sorry. I'm misremembering. I planted zip lines to the edge of the chiral network and finished it off when he joined. With that said my total trip was still only about 10 minutes. Because of the way I set them up and my route planning.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
As someone who did not like any Kojima's games except MGS2, I was on the fence buying it. I can say it was a good game after finishing it in 28 hours.
I appreciated my time with it.
Soundtrack and sound design are top notch, gameplay feels good (at least the walking part, bike can be a little janky but that's ok). I tried to avoid the multiplayer structures that were already here, especially
the ziplines
, because I felt it made the game way too easy. However I must admit that this asynchronous multiplayer is really ingenious.

My biggest complaints are the combats against the MULES (after one fight I decided to avoid them for all the rest of my playthrough, atleast when it was not mandatory to go retrieve an item in one of their camp).
BT's are not really menacing and the bossfights were...not good
The amount of little cutscenes was also way too much for my tastes (when you go to your room, take a shower and so on, after a certain point I skipped them).
Scenario did not appeal to me until the endgame and the last 2 chapters of the game, the last one especially was fantastic. (and I'm not that big of a fan of cutscenes in general but yeah, this chapter was something else. )

If I have to rate it, it would be a solid 7.5/10, the positives sides overcome the negatives ones and that's the main thing. I'm glad I bought the game and tried it.

Aug 10, 2019
The more I play, the more I move away from my initial response to the negative reviews. Originally I felt it was a very niche game for a small audience disguised as a big budget AAA title, that it wouldn't be for everyone, and that was okay. I love it, but I could understand why someone might hate it.

But now... not so much. I know they couldn't talk about anything beyond episode 3, but I'm beginning to suspect many of them didn't even play any further. I have been shocked and surprised by things the game has thrown at me, largely because I didn't expect them, because those reviews didn't so much as allude to any sort of variation or change in pace.

And then you've got the 'whoaaa I've finished it and even I don't know if it's good, who knows how it'll review!!!' crowd.

This is a very good game. Obviously? Surely? As I said, the further I go, the more something about those particular takes feels amiss. I've never been one to jump to conspiracy or narrative pushing when it comes to reviews I disagree with - heck, I found the divisive response genuinely exciting - but... I dunno.

I suppose I'm just enjoying something so much I can't even conceive of someone not doing so.
There was a thread that popped up right around the same time as the initial reviews came out asking the question wether a reviewer should finish a game in order to review it.
I have the sneaking suspicion that was no coincidence.

I'm currently 45 hours in at the tail end of chapter 8 and I'm blown away by what this game does. It feels like next gen. The concepts of upgradable movement systems in this game are so far and beyond what anyone else has done it's incredible to me that people could give this game a 35-40/100

For all it's flaws, this game has moments that are 11/10 and I can't foresee how other games will compare. Any open-world developer that isn't looking at what's been done here will be left stranded on a beach. (Pun intended)

insertwhatever

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it and god damn this game.

I hope the people can just finish the game and don't give up middle in it cause it really does make it up.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
To you completers- do you intend on playing through it again or are you putting it down now?
For some reason speedrunning this game sounds fun. If they get the time down to about 4-6 hours and the tricks aren't too hard i might replay it like that. Not to submit a time, just to play it again quickly.

Otherwise I'm moving onto another game.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
im halfway through the game and the story is absolute dog shit.
Hmm, I disagree. I think the world is pretty interesting and fleshed out. Campy and ridiculous? For sure, but knowing Kojima's past work, that's absolutely intentional. Perhaps on a beat for beat basis it might be a little weak, but I wouldn't call it "dog shit". You are probably coming at it from a different angle though.

Aug 10, 2019
The constant cutscenes are really starting to piss me off.

Go from Capital Knot City to Waypoint West, get first unskippable cutscene of rain, second of BT and third of BT also(?). Get to Waypoint West, unload your cargo, get 2 cutscenes. Pick up new cargo, get a cutscene. Drive to Distribution Center, (unskippable?) trigger of another BT, so again three unskippable scenes.

Windfarm is even worse.
Your in chapter 2 which is the tutorial. Get to chapter 3 and the gameplay opens up, don't be afraid to use what other people leave behind.

Aug 10, 2019
As someone who did not like any Kojima's games except MGS2, I was on the fence buying it. I can say it was a good game after finishing it in 28 hours.
I appreciated my time with it.
Soundtrack and sound design are top notch, gameplay feels good (at least the walking part, bike can be a little janky but that's ok). I tried to avoid the multiplayer structures that were already here, especially
the ziplines
, because I felt it made the game way too easy. However I must admit that this asynchronous multiplayer is really ingenious.

My biggest complaints are the combats against the MULES (after one fight I decided to avoid them for all the rest of my playthrough, atleast when it was not mandatory to go retrieve an item in one of their camp).
BT's are not really menacing and the bossfights were...not good
The amount of little cutscenes was also way too much for my tastes (when you go to your room, take a shower and so on, after a certain point I skipped them).
Scenario did not appeal to me until the endgame and the last 2 chapters of the game, the last one especially was fantastic. (and I'm not that big of a fan of cutscenes in general but yeah, this chapter was something else. )

If I have to rate it, it would be a solid 7.5/10, the positives sides overcome the negatives ones and that's the main thing. I'm glad I bought the game and tried it.
It's too bad you didn't use the stuff other people left, that's the best part about the game.

digifire

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished the campaign
I really, REALLY dislike the ending sequence. From the moment you defeat Higgs I felt it should have ended like 5 different times but it just kept dragging on and on.

It doesn't help that the bosses are all recycled or feel extremely similar and that half the cutscenes repeat the exact same information again and again. And then you have to watch the credits twice (and I'll Keep Coming has no impact in the scene it shows up).

Just all around an extremely bloated ending. Other than that I enjoyed the game for what it was, but damn I'd be lying if I said the ending didn't sour the rest of the experience.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bridge links: why do people are numbers and some (a lot) of people have ---

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
You know, what I'm sorry. I'm misremembering. I planted zip lines to the edge of the chiral network and finished it off when he joined. With that said my total trip was still only about 10 minutes. Because of the way I set them up and my route planning.
I did a really good job setting them up around Mountain Knot City and the doctor. But apparently with my setup that didn't leave me with much available until I got the mountaineer to join up. I did manage to get something good setup after, though. I managed the mountaineer thing pretty well in the end. I snowboarded down the mountain on the cargo carrier and got to the doctor in 10 minutes. It only took me about 12 minutes to make it back. I drove a bike back down toward the terrorist camp and then hung a right and went up the mountain that way. It may have been a bit longer but I avoided all the BTs that way.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just started the game for an hour and I m loving it so far . Thank god I gave it a shot as reviews had me shaky. Let's see how feel 10 hours in .

Till now it's amazing

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Still on chapter 2 just hauling stuff between the three points. It's addicting but I think I should move on now.

I also started carrying cargo for others if I have room, feels good to help someone out out there.

Nothing like walking through the gates with a big haul. Feels good. Val-haul-la

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like zip lines are gonna be my new highways. It shouldn't be as bad though since they don't need materials. It sounds fun.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
The distance is too large to beat in 6/7 hours without the online components. Shit I don't think it's possible even with them. This game is a speed runner's nightmare, which kind of makes it a speed runners dream game.
Oh, you meant the time to beat.

I suspect you could beat it that fast because the bikes are extremely fast if you rev them up. Zip lines also are very fast.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'll probably gonna miss out on pretty useful upgrades. And a good chunk of the game. And very probably the point.
Nah, I havent done a single standard order before beating and it still took ~40 hours and I only really had trouble with two end game bosses, everything else was fine. Hell, even completed a few roads too. Game gives more than enough in the main story(especially considering a good chunk of main missions are basically just forced standard orders anyway)

Aug 10, 2019
Oh, you meant the time to beat.

I suspect you could beat it that fast because the bikes are extremely fast if you rev them up. Zip lines also are very fast.
The bikes aren't worth shit in the mountains, and the zip-lines benefit the most from the multiplayer. Without it, getting back would be easy sure, but getting to the destination and hooking them up to the chiral network takes a lot of time.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
Can i make a new chiral ladder? I may, or may not, dropped it when fighting a bt and cant find it again.

Aug 10, 2019
I really want Kojima to make a new game plus with this, where you keep all your gear but the difficulty of the B.T.'s and Mules get ramped up to Dark Souls levels and you can click a setting to skip all the cutscenes.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Unfortunately yes, you missed out on some likes. However, standard deliveries will re-appear after some time and you can do them again and choose Premium this time. It even tells you on the Standard Order screen if you've already done them, what rating you got, and if you did Premium.
Cool, thank you! If I can do them again on Premium at some point then I'll just move on for now. Otherwise the completionist in me would want to reload.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I really want Kojima to make a new game plus with this, where you keep all your gear but the difficulty of the B.T.'s and Mules get ramped up to Dark Souls levels and you can click a setting to skip all the cutscenes.
It would make BTs so much more scary if it was hard to not trigger a void out, unlike the normal game where it's hard to trigger a void out even if you want to.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Just finished the game, there is a lot to wrap my head around. First thing that came to mind though: I really, really expected Cliff to tell Sam that he was actually called Ben Bridges or any other Name with a BB acronym. Cliff calling his Son BB (an acronym for a "piece of hardware") makes little sense otherwise.