• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game, there is a lot to wrap my head around. First thing that came to mind though: I really, really expected Cliff to tell Sam that he was actually called Ben Bridges or any other Name with a BB acronym. Cliff calling his Son BB (an acronym for a "piece of hardware") makes little sense otherwise.

Bridges Baby.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I know, but why would he call his son that? He seemingly was told that he could take him home someday and there is no reason why he should refer to him just as a bridge baby

It was unclear to me who actually named Sam 'Sam,' especially since he never used that name during the prior cutscenes. Also, Bridges Baby is less Bridge Baby and more Baby of mother named Lisa Bridges, which IIRC is how newborns are typically identified before naming?

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is there a reason to use backpack upgrade space on utility pouches? They only do Blood Bags, right? By default you can store 4 and so far that has been twice as many as I've ever needed? It feels like I should use all that space for 'nades and an extra battery but I'm curious if they can hold other things or if I'll need more than 4 bags at some point (in Ch. 3 now).

Speaking of the extra battery, does just installing it make it active? I don't notice much of a difference since I've installed it.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's extremely good if you're invested in it.
It has major pacing problems like the story in MGSV.

Even more so then that game honestly. At least MGSV dumped lots of tapes on you that you could listen to while browsing upgrades or running around in the world. Death Stranding has the interviews, but none of them are voice acted. You have to do a lot of idle reading if you wanna stay attached to the world.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
It was unclear to me who actually named Sam 'Sam,' especially since he never used that name during the prior cutscenes. Also, Bridges Baby is less Bridge Baby and more Baby of mother named Lisa Bridges, which IIRC is how newborns are typically identified before naming?
yeah, where the Name Sam comes from is unclear, Amelie called him Sam immediately when the baby arrived at her beach.
But Lisa Bridges was Cliffs wife and Sam is his Son, so its kinda strange to me that he doesn't already have a name for him (or doesn't call him Sam if the name already is decided upon. It didn't seem like he was told upfront to not get attached to his son or sth. like that). I mean, would you refer to your son - whom you have probably been expecting for several months - as BBQ of Doom Baby?

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017

Even more so then that game honestly. At least MGSV dumped lots of tapes on you that you could listen to while browsing upgrades or running around in the world. Death Stranding has the interviews, but none of them are voice acted. You have to do a lot of idle reading if you wanna stay attached to the world.

That didn't affect my enjoyment or my investment. Once it cooked it kept cooking.

The game generally has pacing issues, that's indisputable.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, where the Name Sam comes from is unclear, Amelie called him Sam immediately when the baby arrived at her beach.
But Lisa Bridges was Cliffs wife and Sam is his Son, so its kinda strange to me that he doesn't already have a name for him. I mean, would you refer to your son (which you have been expecting for several months) as BBQ of Doom Baby?

Remember, technically BBs aren't born yet, right? and most folks name a child after birth? maybe they/Cliff were waiting?

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's extremely good if you're invested in it.
Having 95% of the story be told in cut scenes where one character just dumps expository dialogue on you, repeating the same thing 3-4 times, sometimes in back to back scenes is awful story telling. Not to mention the story doesnt change or do anything unique or different with its themes from the first couple hours of the game till its last.

The world is incredibly creative and interesting. The actual story being told is not, and is told in one of the worst ways possible. As others have said, its written as if derek zoolander is the target audience.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason to use backpack upgrade space on utility pouches? They only do Blood Bags, right? By default you can store 4 and so far that has been twice as many as I've ever needed? It feels like I should use all that space for 'nades and an extra battery but I'm curious if they can hold other things or if I'll need more than 4 bags at some point (in Ch. 3 now).

Speaking of the extra battery, does just installing it make it active? I don't notice much of a difference since I've installed it.
I just got to chapter 4 not to long ago. The game throws some things at you in such a way that blood bags become a lot more useful and necessary depending on your playstyle.

The extra battery activates immediately. If you're wearing any exo legs you'll see that the guage for the battery usage will have increased.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Having 95% of the story be told in cut scenes where one character just dumps expository dialogue on you, repeating the same thing 3-4 times, sometimes in back to back scenes is awful story telling. Not to mention the story doesnt change or do anything unique or different with its themes from the first couple hours of the game till its last.

The world is incredibly creative and interesting. The actual story being told is not, and is told in one of the worst ways possible. As others have said, its written as if derek zoolander is the target audience.

Well, slap my ass and call me Derek Zoolander then. I loved it and it affected me considerably. if that makes me a dolt that makes me a dolt.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
my goodness that entire mama introduction/backstory cutscene was awful

the dialogue in this is kingdom hearts bad

still loving the gameplay though

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many prepper deliveries should I do? I haven't done many but I know doing them can get me stuff. I'd love to know if there are any I should absolutely do.

I also heard the dudes on the Giant Bombcast talking about some line in the game that was just apparently... bad or something, and I'm curious what they were talking about, but without spoilers. What chapter does it take place in?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Remember, technically BBs aren't born yet, right? and most folks name a child after birth? maybe they/Cliff were waiting?

yeah, I don't want to say that you are wrong. Maybe it's just that every. single. Name. has at least one metaphorical meaning and not having some kind of final A-ha moment with the BB acronym (especially as even fucking "Cliff" gets a metaphor) seems like no-brainer ;)

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
yeah, I don't want to say that you are wrong. Maybe it's just that every. single. Name. has at least one metaphorical meaning and not having some kind of final A-ha moment with the BB acronym (especially as even fucking "Cliff" gets a metaphor) seems like no-brainer ;)

Oh I'm with you there, and I'm really just speculating wildly since it wasn't addressed whatsoever (unless I missed it lol). Yay Kojima!

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017

I found the utility pouches particularly useful in later combat-focused chapters on hard. But honestly one battery plus a boatload of grenade pouches will serve you well for a vast majority of the game.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
If I like manually, I'm usually gonna mash the hell out of it because it was that big of a help. Anything I use that wasn't just super obvious or mediocre in placement, will probably get a like mashing, otherwise you just get the one from using it. Like I saw a ladder that was placed leading down to a stream where you could just walk down it...the ladder was practically flat. Yeah, I used the ladder because it was there, but it certainly wasn't a game-changing addition to the landscape. XD

I try to like and help as best I can though.

I saw a bridge built in a totally pointless spot for absolutely no reason, but it made me laugh so I gave it as many likes as I could mash out. And I can mash really fast.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Oh I'm with you there, and I'm really just speculating wildly since it wasn't addressed whatsoever (unless I missed it lol). Yay Kojima!
there is a lot of stuff i have yet to wrap my head around.
-The death Stranding and the initial void outs are two events right?
-And did the first voidouts happen when the EE was "awakened" by the seperation of Amelie and Bridget or did they "just occur"?
- what exactly did the broken dolls do? Questions!
Another masterpiece by Wacky Expositionman

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Just hanging around the beginning of episode 3 and seeing the dynamic change of the geography on a massive scale over the past few real-life days, in hindsight it makes sense that Sony let the review embargo drop a whole week before release. It would be impossible to appreciate otherwise. Even then, it makes me wonder how many players and reviewers actually hang around, revisit, or help develop the infrastructure of an area versus just rushing to the end of the story. This seems like a core part of the gameplay that could be easily missed, like playing Destiny without ever joining a raid.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
there is a lot of stuff i have yet to wrap my head around.
-The death Stranding and the initial void outs are two events right?
-And did the first voidouts happen when the EE was "awakened" by the seperation of Amelie and Bridget or did they "just occur"?
- what exactly did the broken dolls do? Questions!
Another masterpiece by Wacky Expositionman

I have more questions now than I did before and all of yours are included in that lol. Was Mama dead the whole time, hence being cold? What's the deal with the usb sticks or whatever? Did Cliff really love the history channel or something? Why does timefall immediately become harmless water?

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah this has definitely reminded me of an even more extreme issue of the MGS5 faults. Chapter 3 is incredibly long even mainlining it, let alone getting caught up in side content/roads and all that, but this is a massive stretch of Sam not uttering a word and just being talked to via holograms.

It sounds like I'm near the part where it's going to just hit me with a barrage of cutscenes, but that pacing is beyond whack if I'm about to suddenly get hours upon hours of it. It took me well over 30 hours of nothing really happening to get there.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
Just hanging around the beginning of episode 3 and seeing the dynamic change of the geography on a massive scale over the past few real-life days, in hindsight it makes sense that Sony let the review embargo drop a whole week before release. It would be impossible to appreciate otherwise. Even then, it makes me wonder how many players and reviewers actually hang around, revisit, or help develop the infrastructure of an area versus just rushing to the end of the story. This seems like a core part of the gameplay that could be easily missed, like playing Destiny without ever joining a raid.

I wondered this too. How the hell is their experience comparable to launch players, and not to mention the reviewers who didn't even complete it.

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
I have more questions now than I did before and all of yours are included in that lol. Was Mama dead the whole time, hence being cold? What's the deal with the usb sticks or whatever? Did Cliff really love the history channel or something? Why does timefall immediately become harmless water?
As far as I understood/interpreted myself:
- mama was dead/not truly alive/her soul already moved on and her body was just kept alive by the connection with the child
- the USB sticks are just trinkets from the old world I think
- Cliff was a Soldier and probably had a strong emotional connection to war in general, so his beach somehow got entangled with all those other fallen soldiers' beaches from history.
- timefall itself was never really explained. If it is a side effect of the last Stranding, stopping that event probably also stopped it. Maybe timefall is actually the water from the beaches (which have time altering properties) that gets somehow brought over to our world. No idea tbh ;)
- I also read the theory that the voidouts and beaches are the "intended effects" of an EE and the BT stuff only started when Amelie resurrected baby-Sam and thereby opened up a rift between the world of the living and the dead. I have no idea if this is supported in game though.

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
lol fuck me the Mario reference and then the rocky and apollo run across the beach killed me 😭😭

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah this has definitely reminded me of an even more extreme issue of the MGS5 faults. Chapter 3 is incredibly long even mainlining it, let alone getting caught up in side content/roads and all that, but this is a massive stretch of Sam not uttering a word and just being talked to via holograms.

It sounds like I'm near the part where it's going to just hit me with a barrage of cutscenes, but that pacing is beyond whack if I'm about to suddenly get hours upon hours of it. It took me well over 30 hours of nothing really happening to get there.
Right, and it's weird to me because Kojima I believe said the sparse story of MGSV was intentional. He said Death Stranding would be different and much more story focused, but I'm getting the opposite reaction. I've played 40 hours and i'm in chapter 5. The story feels so far in the background at this point. I heard it gets way more story intense at the end, but that's not a great way to keep intrigue and character engagement.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some cool person put 'Ghosts' playing from two structures at [slight location spoiler] Mountain Knot City and it is echoing around the valley every time I come back. Really cool. Might put a third up.

Oct 27, 2017
It's based on region though, correct? There's no way that environment is comparable to what we're seeing now.
I guess. I imagine their world probably wasn't as exhaustive as what people are seeing now but from the reviews i've seen most reviewers had experiences where they "got" what the online aspect set out to do and not feeling like it was half baked because they playing in a smaller pool of people but i do wonder how many people enjoyed the game enough that they'd jump back in to see how much things are different beyond just a cursory glance

Ananasas

Jul 11, 2018
Right, and it's weird to me because Kojima I believe said the sparse story of MGSV was intentional. He said Death Stranding would be different and much more story focused, but I'm getting the opposite reaction. I've played 40 hours and i'm in chapter 5. The story feels so far in the background at this point. I heard it gets way more story intense at the end, but that's not a great way to keep intrigue and character engagement.
Well you could just skip all the road building and just do Sam's orders, you would complete the game in less than 30 hours.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
How flexible is the save system? I've heard about very long quests and even longer cut scenes.

Can you pretty much save at any point? How about them cut scenes? "Save points" there too?

The reason I ask is I rarely play games for more than say 30 minutes at a time.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
How flexible is the save system? I've heard about very long quests and even longer cut scenes.

Can you pretty much save at any point? How about them cut scenes? "Save points" there too?

The reason I ask is I rarely play games for more than say 30 minutes at a time.

You can save pretty much anytime pretty quickly unless there's a nearby threat or you're in the middle of a transition or cutscene.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Do I uhh really need to walk all the way back to capital knot city? No fast travel?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still on chapter 5, yet to go up the mountain.

I think i might just sack off all side stuff, and beeline the main story.

What do you guys think ?

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many prepper deliveries should I do? I haven't done many but I know doing them can get me stuff. I'd love to know if there are any I should absolutely do.

I also heard the dudes on the Giant Bombcast talking about some line in the game that was just apparently... bad or something, and I'm curious what they were talking about, but without spoilers. What chapter does it take place in?
Nobody? :(