• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
I also heard the dudes on the Giant Bombcast talking about some line in the game that was just apparently... bad or something, and I'm curious what they were talking about, but without spoilers. What chapter does it take place in?
I think it's chapter 9ish. The line isn't really a spoiler of anything story related especially out of context, just depends on if you want to see it for the first time in context. The line is "Like Mario and Princess Beach"

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Re-posting for a new page.

I'm still on chapter 5, yet to go up the mountain.

I think i might just sack off all side stuff, and beeline the main story.

What do you guys think ?

Mathiassen

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Really disappointed with the false choices given like cutting Mama's cord and shooting Amalie. The game won't let you choose, it just does it for you without input.

Belvedere

Oct 27, 2017
The strand system is one of the main reasons why this game is so motherfucking special. Playing this game the way it is now, this beats Sekiro for my GotY. What an experience this game is if your willing to be patient and give a helping hand.

It truly is. I still can't believe revisiting areas only to find roads where I was walking over rocky terrain. It's still evolving and it's wild.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I personally love about the gameplay is that if you spend time setting up routes and roads [slight mechanical spoilers e3-6] in c3, you'll be able to spend a good deal of time before moving on using all your routes and roads. Driving Trucks and bikes. And then when you move on the mountain you have to leave behind your comfy speedways and go back to exploring on foot and rebuilding a network which I was beginning to miss a little after having it easy for a while

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would one of you fine people, please tell exactly what each of the EX grenades do. Thanks.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Finally met the Cosplayer.

That was a pretty good use of
Conan
. Does he have good stuff if I bring him deliveries though? At this point, 30 hours into the game, I really wanna move on with the main story but I always bring myself to just carry one more optional package...and more and more and a whole tower of them and other players' packages. Help.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Finished it after 32 hours. As I've said in the review thread, I didn't enjoy it that much, mostly because of the shocking lack of deep and relevant decision-making in the game. Lots of unfinished systems (combat, bosses, shooting...), lots of repetition and the game offers all the time options to make every delivery easy and "fast" that make everything else obsolete. No real risk or tense situations if you use the tools you can craft. Cooperation system is cool though, and the graphics/cinematics are amazing.

Story started strong but by the end I was kind of expecting them to resolve some things that were evident, but even so took lots of cinematics to show. The end hours are a real slog, 2 hours or so of cinematics that were boring half the time.

I feel that the game is polished, looks great, and has some neat ideas, but the execution is mostly poor and as much as I like traversal in games, DS is too long and doesn't offer interesting situations to be creative with your tools (talking about the main story).

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I got some equipment from him I think.
Power and speed legs
but is there anything else I really should get?
Some others that are useful:

South part of the map,
-> Timefall Farm, for MULE scan negation and Human detection, get up to 3 stars
-> Cosplayer, for better backpack pouches, get 3 stars
-> The Collector, for the backpack cover(assuming he doesn't glitch out for you), get 2 stars
-> Weather Station for for the floating carrier level 2, get 3 stars
In the mountains,
-> Distribution center north of Mountain Knot, for the spare ammo pouch, get 3 stars
-> Roboticist, for the All-Terrain Exoskeleton level 3, get 4 stars
-> Waystation North of Mountain Knot City, for the level 2 armor plates, get 3 stars

Most of the other really useful stuff you'll get through story missions you can't miss.

ramyeon

Oct 25, 2017
After making Strand Contracts about how long does it take for the objects in the world to reflect this?

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the story. For as much as some stuff made my eyes roll out of my sockets, and I had long ago resigned myself to Kojima's dialogue never improving, this fucker knows how to deliver some incredible moments. It's so easy to find faults in the execution, and yet I can't help but love it. The weaving-together of story and interactivity was so inspired for such an original game. It's the perfect fresh start and evolution for Kojima, and I'm ready to hop on the crazy train to whatever else he decides to make next. Even if it's a terrible, terrible movie.

He finally found a leading man who's both talented and extremely down to clown in Norman Reedus (though I'd love for him to bring back Kiefer in a future game.) Mads brings a level of gravitas this story desperately needs, and Troy Baker is obviously having the time of his life. And wow...other people have said it, but Tommie Earl Jenkins puts on a clinic in the final Chapters.

I didn't come into this game expecting it would be a GOTY contender, even with my long history of love for Kojima games...but here we are.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm in doubt about the anti BT handgun, after experimenting with it for a bit, I still don't fully get the numbers in the ammo counter. What do they stand for exactly?

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wow that was beautiful. An unforgettable ride that might be my favourite Kojima game so far.
This was absolutely special, from beginning to end.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something happened in the Private Room during Ch. 3.

BB had Deadman's head on it. Does this have some kind of game mechanic significance or is Kojima fucking with me? If the former and it's spoilery, I probably won't want to know.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some others that are useful:

South part of the map,
-> Timefall Farm, for MULE scan negation and Human detection, get up to 3 stars
-> Cosplayer, for better backpack pouches, get 3 stars
-> The Collector, for the backpack cover(assuming he doesn't glitch out for you), get 2 stars
-> Weather Station for for the floating carrier level 2, get 3 stars
In the mountains,
-> Distribution center north of Mountain Knot, for the spare ammo pouch, get 3 stars
-> Roboticist, for the All-Terrain Exoskeleton level 3, get 4 stars
-> Waystation North of Mountain Knot City, for the level 2 armor plates, get 3 stars

Most of the other really useful stuff you'll get through story missions you can't miss.
<3

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Having a [very slight mechanical spoiler] bath in a spring is so cool.

This is the biggest sense of adventure and discovery I've ever had in a game.

hannuraina

Prophet of Truth
Jan 7, 2018
stupid question, couldn't track answer down on google. i have ps plus but want to play at my friends place tomorrow. can i log in to his system download the game and my save file? or will i need to start over?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hey, if you haven't already. Change the aiming controls so the deceleration setting is at 10 or very high at least. Makes the shooting mechanics actually feel snappy and accurate. I can't believe I didn't think about this before, and am kicking myself for having never changed it. Games shooting feels good if you tweek the feel correctly.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, you should be ashamed... Did you just kick the package to its destination?

I meant the first ever Combat Mission "Order" given to you. I lost so much blood.

Hey, if you haven't already. Change the aiming controls so the deceleration setting is at 10 or very high at least. Makes the shooting mechanics actually feel snappy and accurate. I can't believe I didn't think about this before, and am kicking myself for having never changed it. Games shooting feels good if you tweek the feel correctly.

Will do.

+1 Like from Feltrol

astro

Oct 25, 2017
[image containing e5 mechanic spoiler]
Ziplines are too awesome. Just set up a huge network in my instance. Needs a little fine tugin in a couple of places where I can reduce the anchor points by 2-3, but otherwise it takes me all over.
iv8KBH.jpg

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
I'm very much not enjoying chapter 3. Building the highway is trivial and between that and the constant availability of vehicles has greatly reduced the uniqueness of the game. While certain areas are better going walking (like the weather station), it has turned most of the side deliveries in the worst part of any other open world game. There's nothing unique or fun about doing a fetch quests on a vehicle while you don't have to worry about terrain or batteries. Not that the actual systems matter a whole lot, but at least they offer something unique to the table, right now however It's the exact same busy work than the worst parts of any other open world game (GTA, Watch Dogs, AC... take your pick)

I don't think the sense of progression is satisfactory. This type of ease of travelling should have been common only well past the mid point in the game, not in chapter 3. It feels like I'm defeating the point of the game already.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Taking a nap under a timefall shelter in the middle of nowhere that's playing Low Roar's "Bones" is wholesome.

Game is so good.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
Hey Sam, thanks for carrying up a life saving bio-computer and medicine through a steep snowing mountain that's crawling with BTs on foot.

Two stars.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Urgh. Pokemon about to release and I'm 43hrs and Chapter 3 still.
I refuse to rush on. Game is something really special.

Why do we need to work/sleep instead of game?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very much not enjoying chapter 3. Building the highway is trivial and between that and the constant availability of vehicles has greatly reduced the uniqueness of the game. While certain areas are better going walking (like the weather station), it has turned most of the side deliveries in the worst part of any other open world game. There's nothing unique or fun about doing a fetch quests on a vehicle while you don't have to worry about terrain or batteries. Not that the actual systems matter a whole lot, but at least they offer something unique to the table, right now however It's the exact same busy work than the worst parts of any other open world game (GTA, Watch Dogs, AC... take your pick)

I don't think the sense of progression is satisfactory. This type of ease of travelling should have been common only well past the mid point in the game, not in chapter 3. It feels like I'm defeating the point of the game already.
You will need to move away from all the things you've built soon...

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Guillermo Del Toro's character, Deadman, is so weird. No respect for our protagonist's personal bubble, not even in the goddamn shower!

He's a real bro though, I finished the game earlier this week and it's one, if not the most, likeable character in the game. He's basicaly Otacon from the MGS series.

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I made an entire network of Ziplines in the mountains. If I don't get me some goddamn likes for all the effort that went into setting this up...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I made an entire network of Ziplines in the mountains. If I don't get me some goddamn likes for all the effort that went into setting this up...

Me too.

The problem is I don't think entire networks are ported to other's instances, and you have to climb off the zipline to spam likes. you will get a bunch if people just use it though, but it depends how many pieces get sent over to others...

Can anyone report seeing an substantial network from another single player at all?

I just put one together with 22 pieces...

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
You will need to move away from all the things you've built soon...
I hope so, there's a lot of space left to travel where there's no chiral network yet. However the fact that I'm rewarded for doing things by completely neutering the game's appeal as far as I'm concerned doesn't strike me as appealing. I like the idea of it if it's at the last third of the game, similarly how surivival horrors, and particularly classic Resident Evil, have a climax where you can power through previous threats. A sort of victory lap where you get to feel powerful after hours of struggle. That in my opinion would have worked beautifully in this game. But it's too much too soon for me. Things like the pletora of vehicles, the bola gun (although this one is more theoretical than anything, cleaning MULE camps with the rope takes very little effort as well), the highway, the exo skelletons... The only meaningful new tool I felt was appropiate is the board where you can put cargo on (or yourself), as it feels it has an appropiate drawback and is not a completely net positive.

I just don't like the idea of being rewarded with tools that to me make the experience far less compelling, as they run counter to the appeal of the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I hope so, there's a lot of space left to travel where there's no chiral network yet. However the fact that I'm rewarded for doing things by completely neutering the game's appeal as far as I'm concerned doesn't strike me as appealing. I like the idea of it if it's at the last third of the game, similarly how surivival horrors, and particularly classic Resident Evil, have a climax where you can power through previous threats. A sort of victory lap where you get to feel powerful after hours of struggle. That in my opinion would have worked beautifully in this game. But it's too much too soon for me. Things like the pletora of vehicles, the bola gun (although this one is more theoretical than anything, cleaning MULE camps with the rope takes very little effort as well), the highway, the exo skelletons... The only meaningful new tool I felt was appropiate is the board where you can put cargo on (or yourself), as it feels it has an appropiate drawback and is not a completely net positive.

I just don't like the idea of being rewarded with tools that to me make the experience far less compelling, as they run counter to the appeal of the game.
It's payoff for your labours... the ease of stringing together a lot of deliveries to quickly rank up before you move on. If there were no pay off like this, it would be a constant slog. And the game does have ebbs and flows, you'll see...

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
It goes worse IMO. Soon you'll get to the mountains, that is different... until you have the mountain leg skeleton and the ziplines, and then it becomes trivial again. From there to the end of the game the traversal becomes repetitive as nothing new is added. And Chapter 3 is closer to the end of the game than most people think, chapters 2-3 are long but chapters 4-14 are short, some of them are really short.

Minamu

Nov 18, 2017
Sweden
Anyone else react negatively to the cutscene revolving around the chiral artist in chapter 3 (I think)? That performance was horrendous, both from an acting perspective, dialogue, and character models. And then Norman doesn't say a single word across at least three cutscenes, Kiefer Sutherland style, ending it all with a simple thumbs up. Wtf? XD

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Me too.

The problem is I don't think entire networks are ported to other's instances, and you have to climb off the zipline to spam likes. you will get a bunch if people just use it though, but it depends how many pieces get sent over to others...

Can anyone report seeing an substantial network from another single player at all?

No, you only get bits and pieces, and usually from multiple different players unless you purposely social link to another player (and then it may still not be all of the links in the network). One section in my game had 3 connected pieces from 2 players, but that's the most I've seen dropped into my game.

And only 22? 🤔😉

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It goes worse IMO. Soon you'll get to the mountains, that is different... until you have the mountain leg skeleton and the ziplines, and then it becomes trivial again. From there to the end of the game the traversal becomes repetitive as nothing new is added. And Chapter 3 is closer to the end of the game than most people think, chapters 2-3 are long but chapters 4-14 are short, some of them are really short.
I think open wound will agree with you, but I couldn't disagree more. This pay off is exactly what the game needs at the right times, and the satisfaction of using your routes and refining them as you go is pretty big imo.

No, you only get bits and pieces, and usually from multiple different players unless you purposely social link to another player (and then it may still not be all of the links in the network). One section in my game had 3 connected pieces from 2 players, but that's the most I've seen dropped into my game.

And only 22? 🤔😉
I've only unlocked just under half the mountain areas, give me time... but I have seen a few people place ziplines far too close, the 300m distance between is pretty substantial.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Me too.

I don't think I've come across a whole network, just sporadic towers here and there. Very frustrating!