• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
He also made it with pretty small team and in only 3 years from creating his new studio making game that's pretty unique and different than the usual mainstream games. feels like from the start, Kojima want to release this game as soon as possible and is very careful about the scope of the game.
For sure. I'm grateful for what we got and that the game exists at all but it's cool to know that the game has good enough bones that things could be naturally expounded upon if it comes down to it

Oct 29, 2017
For ziplines, what is the largest angle you can put them on? I tried making one from roboticist to weather station, but it looks like it wouldn't connect. Is there also any way to see what the distance is?

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Having finished the game this weekend I was watching many DS videos on YouTube in Metro. And...Just how fucking impatient are these people. I took a total of 3 stumbles in the entire game and people playing in these vids have patience of a chipmunk. So many are crossing the river without checking it's depth and then blaming the gane. Or scaling mountains so steep they're obviously not the right path.

It's actually very difficult to fall in DS. whenever you stumble release everything and holding balance will 99.99% of the time would save any fall.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't build them between places where you could use a road and are collecting your stars you should have more than enough spare ziplines to place relatively freely. I just finished connecting all that stuff today and with the many online ziplines you can take advantage of everyone's placement will be different anyway.
Thanks. What do star stickers have do to with ziplines? I thought they were just bragging rights.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Having finished the game this weekend I was watching many DS videos on YouTube in Metro. And...Just how fucking impatient are these people. I took a total of 3 stumbles in the entire game and people playing in these vids have patience of a chipmunk. So many are crossing the river without checking it's depth and then blaming the gane. Or scaling mountains so steep they're obviously not the right path.

It's actually very difficult to fall in DS. whenever you stumble release everything and holding balance will 99.99% of the time would save any fall.

I fell one time of my own accord in the game, and 2-3 more times due to attacks from enemies. It's honestly baffling how some people are purely unwilling to engage with the core mechanic of the game. I even have the endgame stats screen to back this up.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. What do star stickers have do to with ziplines? I thought they were just bragging rights.
By leveling up facilities chiral bandwidth goes up so you can place more pcc structures. The star stickers themselves have no effect, just used them as a stand in for leveling up the preppers and cities.

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Just finished, yeah that ending is aces, woof I'm gonna need a bit to digest and mediate on everything.

In terms of criticisms I would say that Kojima shows a bad habit of letting certain quirks get beaten into the ground through overuse ("I'm not that fragile...") and re-explaining stuff over and over for the people in the back who maybe weren't paying attention the whole time, but all in all I'd say that this is my GOTY so far, edging out DMCV. Gameplay demonstrated a skilled balance of zone-out chill work and tense traversal challenge, and the story, while super out-there, overblown, and as subtle as a sledgehammer, against all odds actually works where it counts.

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I just started episode 3, after 11 hours or so. What an amazing game this is, I am having so much fun with it. It's thoroughly engaging, from the moment you start planning your next "run" to the actual execution of that plan. In an era where some games, however good they are, feel like they just throw all these different (and often contradictory) gameplay systems at you for the sake of it, this game is really well designed, every game mechanic and system in place feels like it's there for a purpose. Sometimes it's a weirdly soothing experience, other times it's exhilarating, but so far it has never been boring.

Also, regarding the story... Yeah, I love it. The writing may be weird sometimes, but I feel like I have to commend Kojima for actually having something interesting to say (and designing a game around those ideas). For all its surreal imagery and crazy sci-fi moments, it's also one of his most grounded and emotionally relatable experiences. Great stuff.

Onwards to episode 3!

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really enjoyed this Pizza delivery, yes I could have used a vehicle and took to the roads to get to the destination in 5 minutes, but, I really wanted it to be a journey. I enjoy the systems and terrain so much that I just had to walk it.

May 18, 2018
It's weird considering this is Kojima we're talking about but when you consider what this game/a sequel COULD be, it almost feels like the game plays it safe.

You could easily incorporate more "hardcore" survival elements in the game and it'd fit perfectly.

day/night cycle where the temperature drops at night and your stamina decreases much faster

eliminate blood Grenades To make ex grenades more impactful which makes showering and toilet use more impactful.

Definitely could be have more Survival elements and I like your idea. It would be great too if there were a lot more Caves - there could be even more Gameplay elements relating to Caves specifically.

Maybe a NG+ or a Survival Mode as free DLC?

Oct 25, 2017
An underrated strategy, even into the late game, is Offloading you're cargo, letting the BTs take you, then running away from the boss. Bam, no timefall and no BTs. Lovely.

bud

Oct 27, 2017
the physics for the vehicles offroad are killing me.

and sometimes the vehicle will just boost itself causing me to drive into a structure or rock or something.

kojimaaaaaa

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Really enjoyed this Pizza delivery, yes I could have used a vehicle and took to the roads to get to the destination in 5 minutes, but, I really wanted it to be a journey. I enjoy the systems and terrain so much that I just had to walk it.

Listen, when a persons orders pizza they expect it on time, next I expect you to pick up a second order because you're on the way and go there first.
/s obviously

TMC

Oct 27, 2017
Do deliveries only benefit the destination location? Say I'm trying to get 5 stars for location A. Will taking an order from A and delivering to location B earn likes for both origination and destination or just destination?

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
the physics for the vehicles offroad are killing me.

and sometimes the vehicle will just boost itself causing me to drive into a structure or rock or something.

kojimaaaaaa

There are signs that automatically boost your vehicle when you pass through them. After a while, I stopped taking vehicles off road because I figured that while the game allows you to do so, it's more encouraging to go on foot and save the vehicles for paved road segments. Crashing into rocks over and over isn't a fun experience.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Man I'm on vacation and I keep thinking about just how much I can't wait to play again...that world is too cool and there are folks expecting me goddamnit!

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Had to put my PS4 in standby when the credits started rolling... Sucks, but it was 2.30 am and it was taking too long.

also, I had a feeling there's a lot more after those first credits on the beach, right?

Shorty11857

Oct 25, 2017
Had to put my PS4 in standby when the credits started rolling... Sucks, but it was 2.30 am and it was taking too long.

also, I had a feeling there's a lot more after those first credits on the beach, right?

Yes there is. You made a good call

Also just finished the game. Last couple of episodes were cool but went on forever

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Late game story spoilers.

I'm in Chapter 13 and I have no clue what's happening. I'm playing as a grey Sam on his beach now and the credits are rolling slowly between some cutscenes. Am I supposed to be doing something? Anything to do with the gun? Is Amalie Sam's sister? Is she even human? Seriously the writing got exponentially worse since Chapter 8 or something, it's far worse than any nanomachine ramblings in the MGS games.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm in Chapter 13 and I have no clue what's happening. I'm playing as a grey Sam on his beach now and the credits are rolling slowly between some cutscenes. Am I supposed to be doing something? Anything to do with the gun? Is Amalie Sam's sister? Is she even human? Seriously the writing got exponentially worse since Chapter 8 or something, it's far worse than any nanomachine ramblings in the MGS games.
Nope, you can call out to get some dialogue but you're stuck waiting it out. Amelie is the soul half of Bridget. She was an extinction entity who didn't want to destroy the world, but when she failed to stop it she tried to speed it up. It's not well done

Also the entire post credits is an hour long. Settle in

Grudy

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Nope, you can call out to get some dialogue but you're stuck waiting it out. Amelie is the soul half of Bridget. She was an extinction entity who didn't want to destroy the world, but when she failed to stop it she tried to speed it up. It's not well done
I wish I stayed in Chapter 3 lol

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
god getting Cargo Condition/delivery time to level 60 is the first thing that's felt like grinding during my 80 hours of play. Sucks, but I'm too close to the Platinum to not go for it

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It reminded me of the epilogue with snake and big boss. Unnecessary, poorly written, lots of rambling and just plain bad.

Thankfully game gets better.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Finished last night. I liked the end, though it was a bit much in chapter 13. Overall, I think I'll give it a four or of five for me... The traversal is unmatched though... Now walking in other games seems so lame.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me clear up the relationship between Amelie, Bridget and Sam? I'm on chapter 6 so no major spoilers after that please, but:
Am I supposed to know why Amelie and Bridget look exactly like each other? In all the flashbacks until now, is that Bridget or Amelie? Is it Bridget or Amelie that he keeps meeting in his dreams? Bridget said she'd wait at the beach too...

Last edited:

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018
I've been enjoying it a lot so far. There are some issues such as strange offroad vehicle movement (the truck being front heavy and not turning on slopes), Roads being 0/0/0 unless you've progressed into the story (so exploration is not wanted) and time of delivery being so low compared with the others.

If I may ask, what actually happens if you kill someone? Does a voidout actually happen and clear an area? Can this be used advantageously with Mule camps?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
It reminded me of the epilogue with snake and big boss. Unnecessary, poorly written, lots of rambling and just plain bad.

Thankfully game gets better.

See the biggest problem behind this exposition is that almost nobody cared about Amelie, the game doesnt make us care for her nor it gives us reasons to. That's different compared to the ending of MGS4 even if it was dragged along, I was interested listening to these characters that i've liked for so long.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I just delivered a pizza. I don't know why but I love this game. The gameplay loop is just so satisfying. It's like I've always hated traversal in open world games because it was so boring, But here it's actually challenging and requires mindfulness. And it's so beautiful.

I have a lot of complaints but the basics are so great. Kojima didn't go far enough.

Walking mechanics need to be a lot more elaborate. Visible balance meter. Pace, gait, etc. Removal of auto-arrangement of things (trivializes the preparation unless you are planning on encountering timefall).

Unnecessary talking just needs to go. The holograms...no.

It would be nice to see real people in these cities. That's meaningful interaction that should be thematically connected with the point of the game. Seeing only the holograms doesn't cut it.

It would be nice to see the ruins of real American places.

BTs should be much harder. Early game they are legitimately terrifying and I still go, "Ohhhhhhhhhh shit," when it starts raining and risks me damaging or losing cargo. But now I got grenades out the ass.

But the social systems, the world the team has built, and the environment and the relaxing, almost zen-like nature of plotting out your adventure and doing it...what game is like this? There is not a one. Maybe Football Manager.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I honestly feel like, to me, the more 'gamey' parts of this game are what drag it down the most.

Like I'm just wondering along trying to find the best way down a hill whilst some Low Roar begins to play in the background only for the "INITIATE STEALTH SEQUENCE" animation to play and force me into navigating around a bunch of creatures I couldn't care less about.

Or when I just want to get through a really interesting area (like the one with canyons near the Film Director) but then you got the Hoarder Crew on your ass like an annoying fly that isn't really making your life a challenge but is annoying to be around nonetheless.

It makes me wish for a literal "Walking Simulator" mode where you can spend all your time navigating the world instead of having to periodically deal wiith incredibly-easy-to-deal with enemies.