• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
well i'm completely finished with the game

platinum trophy and legend of legends rating on all 500 unique standard orders

time for sam to clock out and take a well-deserved rest

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Wow, I finally just connected Edge Knot City.

This is getting real. That freaky-ass dream with Higgsamelie and waking up with the distro center on red alert...that alarm sound is scary as shit! WTF is happening??

And I recognized Diehardman's voice in the last couple Cliff flashbacks. What's their relation? I'm guessing Cliff's wife died during childbirth and he's trying to save his son from being converted into a BB. Diehardman is a doctor (or the man in charge of the BB project) and he kills Cliff, getting his face fucked up in the fight? Am I warm?

Sadly my son got his first cold on Friday so I haven't had time to get back to it.

I think I spent the most time at the beginning of chapter 3, just participating in the evolving landscape and making delivieries for a while. That was a fun experience and once I decided to move on I got through the next chapters fairly quickly by just focusing on the story deliveries.

The sound design in this game is some of the best I've heard this generation.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After playing Death Stranding for more than 100 hours, I saw this special shape of Odradek for the first time (it doesn't need spoiler in my opinion, but anyway):

Odradek becomes like a crib toy when you're soothing BB!

y1rw_death_stranding™_20200120102001.jpg

Don't know how many little details are in this game that I still haven't seen them!

Oct 31, 2017
Man, it is so annoying when zip line routes suddenly don't work anymore from one day to an other..
I was really worried about stuff like this with the whole 'shared world', which was my eventual driver for getting it at launch rather than waiting. Managed to snag the plat and sign off before my zip line network degraded too far. Is it getting bad now then?

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I was really worried about stuff like this with the whole 'shared world', which was my eventual driver for getting it at launch rather than waiting. Managed to snag the plat and sign off before my zip line network degraded too far. Is it getting bad now then?
It's not stuff degrading.
It's the game choosing different structures from different players, that don't fit my own structures.

Kuldar

Oct 26, 2017
It's not stuff degrading.
It's the game choosing different structures from different players, that don't fit my own structures.
Weird, if I didn't use some ziplines they would disapear after some time, but it never happens with ziplines I used and made part of my zipline network.

Last edited:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Serveral times now.

Was doing deliveries around mountain knot city yesterday and today I can't reach some destinations anymore.. :/

Happened to me a few times around the Wind Farm. REALLY annoying. I'd set up ziplines, go to get a delivery, and then on my way back, suddenly nothing works, and I wound up going through that damn B.T. Area.
After a while it settled down and I didn't have any more problems, but man, it was really annoying.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Are you just not restoring some ziplines before they get ruined, or something? I don't think I ever had structures I used straight up vanish, even if I was away from the game for a week or so.

It could also be structures being added that block the connection between ziplines, maybe, idk.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC if you remove a structure it will remove it from any other shared games. So it may be that the person who built the zipline removed it from their game to free up bandwith.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
This game is really something, I'm in chapter 3 right now and I'm still just getting my bearings. There is so much to do. Few questions, any help is appreciated.

- Should I just avoid mule camps? Seems like needless risk going through those camps. I'm guessing the lockers in the camps have lots of good materials for building roads though.

- Should I spend time rebuilding roads? It seems like the roads make traversing trivial.

- Do weapons help out much? I haven't shot anyone yet with a bola gun or even used the rope to strangle dudes. I guess if i want to start clearing out camps I should try to use some weapons but so far they don't seem necessary.

- Trikes are cool but so are exoskeletons. Are there OP vehicles/methods of transportation or is it just mission dependent?

This game is fun as hell. I'm weirdly drawn in. I wasn't much looking forward to this game even though I loved most of the MGS games but man, once I started playing a couple weeks ago, its all i want to do now.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
This game is really something, I'm in chapter 3 right now and I'm still just getting my bearings. There is so much to do. Few questions, any help is appreciated.

- Should I just avoid mule camps? Seems like needless risk going through those camps. I'm guessing the lockers in the camps have lots of good materials for building roads though.

- Should I spend time rebuilding roads? It seems like the roads make traversing trivial.

- Do weapons help out much? I haven't shot anyone yet with a bola gun or even used the rope to strangle dudes. I guess if i want to start clearing out camps I should try to use some weapons but so far they don't seem necessary.

- Trikes are cool but so are exoskeletons. Are there OP vehicles/methods of transportation or is it just mission dependent?

This game is fun as hell. I'm weirdly drawn in. I wasn't much looking forward to this game even though I loved most of the MGS games but man, once I started playing a couple weeks ago, its all i want to do now.

-Mule camps are actually really easy. Once you get the bola gun they should be pretty trivial. You can avoid them unless you have quest or need materials.

-Roads make the game way less frustrating, so if you're willing to spend the time it's well worth it. You can get lots of materials from Mule camps, or from distribution centers if you've built up supplies via level ups.

-I always made sure to have a bola gun on me if I was going to mess or potentially mess with mules. Headshot will instantly knock them out, any other shot brings them down and you have to go up and kick them to knock them out.

-There is another vehicle you haven't unlocked yet, with enough level ups of one of the centers (forget which one) you'll get new vehicles. The one you haven't unlocked yet will make making roads/big deliveries a lot easier, so try and level up that center ASAP.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
-Mule camps are actually really easy. Once you get the bola gun they should be pretty trivial. You can avoid them unless you have quest or need materials.

-Roads make the game way less frustrating, so if you're willing to spend the time it's well worth it. You can get lots of materials from Mule camps, or from distribution centers if you've built up supplies via level ups.

-I always made sure to have a bola gun on me if I was going to mess or potentially mess with mules. Headshot will instantly knock them out, any other shot brings them down and you have to go up and kick them to knock them out.

-There is another vehicle you haven't unlocked yet, with enough level ups of one of the centers (forget which one) you'll get new vehicles. The one you haven't unlocked yet will make making roads/big deliveries a lot easier, so try and level up that center ASAP.

Thanks for the tips my friend. I'll go ahead and try and clear some camps tonight with my bola gun. I really enjoy rebuilding the roads the hopefully the two camps I plan on taking down will have all the supplies I need.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tips my friend. I'll go ahead and try and clear some camps tonight with my bola gun. I really enjoy rebuilding the roads the hopefully the two camps I plan on taking down will have all the supplies I need.

NP. First mule camp outside of Lake Knot has mostly metals, second one has mostly ceramics. Both you'll need lots of for roads. Also try to make roads after you've connected areas, else you'll be building them solo and that'll take way longer.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I will say that if this is your plan, you may want to advance a bit first and get that next vehicle: trucks.

Cause I wasted a lot of time building out the first 5-ish road sections, using the MULE trucks to transport all the materials around, even though it took forever to move what I needed. Turns out that the trucks you can make can carry way more than the MULE ones...

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
All I'll add is: don't spend too long in Ep3. The game will open up even more in Ep6 and you can always go back and finish up the early stuff later.

As deepFlaw says, you'll also get trucks as well as a bunch of other toys that add to the fun and variety. Don't live in Ep3!

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Are you just not restoring some ziplines before they get ruined, or something? I don't think I ever had structures I used straight up vanish, even if I was away from the game for a week or so.

It could also be structures being added that block the connection between ziplines, maybe, idk.
My own stuff isn't changing. It's the stuff from other players that is suddenly gone or in different places.

Btw. I'll take a nap now. Been running on the beach in episode 13 for way too long now.
Almost fell asleep in my chair.

Kojima please..

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My own stuff isn't changing. It's the stuff from other players that is suddenly gone or in different places.
I think that happens when someone wants to make more structures and doesn't have enough bandwidth. I did that too with some of my old structures and removed them to get more bandwidth for making new structures required for trophies.
I removed useless things though, not some great ziplines with good amounts of likes!

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
NP. First mule camp outside of Lake Knot has mostly metals, second one has mostly ceramics. Both you'll need lots of for roads. Also try to make roads after you've connected areas, else you'll be building them solo and that'll take way longer.

Ahhhh so thats why some of the roads have resources on them without me adding anything. Thanks for the tip :)

I will say that if this is your plan, you may want to advance a bit first and get that next vehicle: trucks.

Cause I wasted a lot of time building out the first 5-ish road sections, using the MULE trucks to transport all the materials around, even though it took forever to move what I needed. Turns out that the trucks you can make can carry way more than the MULE ones...

Cool, I'll wait for the trucks, I was wondering when I would get those.

All I'll add is: don't spend too long in Ep3. The game will open up even more in Ep6 and you can always go back and finish up the early stuff later.

As deepFlaw says, you'll also get trucks as well as a bunch of other toys that add to the fun and variety. Don't live in Ep3!

Alrighty, I'm waiting for trucks! Thanks for the help everyone. Can't wait to get done with work and my responsibilities so I can deliver some cargo tonight. Been a while since I look forward to playing a game as soon as I get to work.

EeK9X

Jan 31, 2019
To the owners of the collector's edition:

Can someone please share the size/dimensions (length, girth, etc.) of the box with me?

I'm trying to ship one to my country, but the forwarding company says that it exceeds USPS's limits, which I honestly doubt, considering that they are: 42 inches (maximum length) and 79 inches (maximum length and girth combined).

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

When I was playing last week, this happened to me. I was more impressed than upset.

Man both this and BoTW have these falling moments that go from bad to worse. I love it.

Worst fall I had in DS was getting off a zip line I had just setup on top of the mountain. Turns out I set it in a way where when you go off it it would drop you over the cliff instead of the flat ground. I was not happy as I watched me and my cargo tumble down the side of the mountain. I really hope that zipline was shared among other players.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Man both this and BoTW have these falling moments that go from bad to worse. I love it.

Worst fall I had in DS was getting off a zip line I had just setup on top of the mountain. Turns out I set it in a way where when you go off it it would drop you over the cliff instead of the flat ground. I was not happy as I watched me and my cargo tumble down the side of the mountain. I really hope that zipline was shared among other players.
I had my worst fall last night because of that. Added a new chiral network and was checking out the shared ziplines. There were two and then a gap between one or two more. I rode the two and was left at the top of a mountain. I looked down, and it seemed like there would be space to stay there. I pressed X and held R2 and L2 just to make sure I stayed balanced. Sam still tripped and fell like 15 meters straight down. My thoughts raced "Oh, a little drop. I should be able to recov-- No! Stop! Hahaha. Fuck!"

Did I mention I was carrying an anti-matter bomb? I got my first game over.

Oct 27, 2017
To the owners of the collector's edition:

Can someone please share the size/dimensions (length, girth, etc.) of the box with me?

I'm trying to ship one to my country, but the forwarding company says that it exceeds USPS's limits, which I honestly doubt, considering that they are: 42 inches (maximum length) and 79 inches (maximum length and girth combined).
I don't have the CE myself, but from looking at youtube videos like this one, my guess would be that the dimensions listed by Amazon (21.5 x 17.5 x 8.3 inches; 11.44 pounds) are probably correct; though the youtube video does give a slightly different figure for the weight: "...it's a heavy box, I think thirteen pounds, if I'm not mistaken..."

Not sure why the forwarding company is saying it's too big. Hopefully you're able to get it straightened out.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
The worst falls I had in the game were almost always due to weird physics. There's this thing that will happen if you're on an extremely steep slope and lose your footing; you'd think Sam would just roll or slide down the hill, but I think the game might be taking into account what terrain is passable and what isn't, and if you happen to slide over a big stretch of impassable terrain the game just glides you over it instead of sliding directly on the ground. The next time you touch passable terrain, the game decides you've FALLEN the full distance you glided, even though to you it looks pretty much like a totally survivable slide, and MURDERS YOU.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
lol That happened to me too! There was a zipline like this near the Geologist station and it made my cargo completely useless.

Aug 9, 2018
The worst falls I had in the game were almost always due to weird physics. There's this thing that will happen if you're on an extremely steep slope and lose your footing; you'd think Sam would just roll or slide down the hill, but I think the game might be taking into account what terrain is passable and what isn't, and if you happen to slide over a big stretch of impassable terrain the game just glides you over it instead of sliding directly on the ground. The next time you touch passable terrain, the game decides you've FALLEN the full distance you glided, even though to you it looks pretty much like a totally survivable slide, and MURDERS YOU.
This happened to me going to Mountain Knot on foot for the first time, there was a steep slope that seemed ok to slide through but near the end I just end up dying, I got over it by taking a break in between instead of sliding the whole stretch at once.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
Still on Episode 3 and really enjoying the game. I should make progress in the story, but I get carried away (re)building structures and roads. Gonna focus on the main quests until Episode 6.

But it will take me a while as I'm pretty busy currently, which leads me to the question: What happens to the game in a half, one, two years when the playerbase plummets? To me, the whole message and purpose of DS is to reconnect the world together with other players. In two years it's gonna be a lonely experience...

Last edited:

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Still on Episode 3 and really enjoying the game. I should make progress in the story, but I get carried away (re)building structures and roads. Gonna focus on the main quests until Episode 6.

But it will take me a while as I'm pretty busy currently, which leads me to the question: What happens to the game in a half, one, two years when the playerbase plummets? To me, the whole message and purpose of DS is to reconnect the world together with other players. In two years it's gonna be a lonely experience...

You only need like a 100 people playing for the online to work. Even years down the line I'm sure that a 100 people playing within a month of each other will be no issue.

Oct 27, 2017
Lengthy zipline guide from u/world-shaker, at reddit:
An Exhaustive Guide to Ziplines: "...Hey all, this is my attempt to collect all the Zipline tips I've learned through experience, trial and error, or posts on this sub. Hopefully it's helpful..."

Miscellaneous tips, from the same user:

Last edited:

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
Just discovered something new about the Level 2 Hematic grenades... So holding R2 pumps blood your blood into the grenade, right? At the same time holding R2 will make Sam do an overhand throw, which you may not always want. But I noticed that if you just gently hold R2, it will pump blood while still doing an underhand throw.

Another thing that might be kind of obvious but I almost never did, is gently holding R2 while boosting on the bike. You'll stay in boost mode but go a little slower, allowing you to traverse smoother over inclines and such.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Just started this yesterday. About to take the boat, after fighting that thing.

Any major tips before I do? Enjoying the game, for sure. Need to build more though, and try out a better route from the port city to the previous one. That uphill climb was tough on a bike.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

Any major tips before I do? Enjoying the game, for sure. Need to build more though, and try out a better route from the port city to the previous one. That uphill climb was tough on a bike.

The only tip really is don't worry too much about refining your routes just yet. When you reach the other side of the lake you'll start seeing a whole bunch of new tech that will change the way you think about getting around in the world.

Wonkertonk

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 15, 2019
Warwick, England
YOLO, I've ordered it and I can't cancel it--arriving this evening from Amazon.

I will report back after 5-10 hours.

Thanks for the replies :)

Following on from this, I completed the game this weekend after approximately 50 hours.

What a ride! Story is somewhat convoluted and bizarre but I really enjoyed it. Lovely change of pace from the usual AAA scene.
Listening to some Low Roar as I work this morning :)

DerpHause

Oct 27, 2017

lol That happened to me too! There was a zipline like this near the Geologist station and it made my cargo completely useless.

Don't ziplines dismount you in the direction your camera is facing?

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

Don't contribute towards roads until you've connected an area. Each time you unlock an area, an amount will be deposited into the roads building supplies.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

Consider not taking the bike everywhere :P

You kind of can, but at least imo the game is significantly more enjoyable on foot. Bikes are good after you've built some roads

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally booted the game up for the first time since finishing it. Gotta say, the urge to finish the side deliveries is bubbling up in me. I ignored them mostly because I wanted to finish the story sooner.