• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
I figure that but don't recall seeing a plane crashing like that during those war segements.

Me neither, I'm 80% sure that didn't happen. But then there was a lot going on at some points so I could have missed it

What would DLC for Death Stranding even look like though, and why would it be teased with 1917?

Reconnect Western Europe? Lol

Oct 27, 2017
Just platinumed the game the other day with about 90 hours on the clock. Great game, but man whenever I get absorbed in a game this much, first comes relief of finishing it after so long, but also that melancholy emptiness of it being over.

On to more games :P

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
is there any way i can know if there are orders for sam in a certain knot ? Because it only shows orders in general on the map

Deleted member 46958

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Question about Mama's plot thread
Do I have it right with the understanding that Mama was only alive because of her BT baby, and that once it was untethered from her, and she was taken away from the site, she was going to fully die?

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Question about Mama's plot thread
Do I have it right with the understanding that Mama was only alive because of her BT baby, and that once it was untethered from her, and she was taken away from the site, she was going to fully die?

You're correct.

Oct 27, 2017
Thought this was an interesting tweet:

twitter.com

Reza Hatami on Twitter

“I got this rare thumbs up from Sam! It actually surprised me. #DeathStrading @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN https://t.co/kVx4AiocLP”

And in case you're wondering why/how "Asylums for the Feeling" is playing in the background, at this particular location (spoiler, so hidden below):

www.reddit.com

r/DeathStranding - [Endgame] Asylum for the Feeling playing again?

8 votes and 9 comments so far on Reddit

There's a neat story about how this particular song came to be featured in the game, ICYMI:

Posted this in the Game Soundtracks of 2019 thread, thought it was a cool story:
Silent Poets featuring Leila Adu -- "Asylums For The Feeling"
Death Stranding has been mentioned a lot, but I noticed a distinct lack of Leila Adu mentions. Leila's performance on "Asylums for the Feeling" -- a track licensed from the SILENT POETS album Dawn -- adds a great deal to contemplative moments in the game (as well as to the E3 2018 trailer).

"...Leila Adu is a New Zealand composer of Ghanaian descent who has composed for the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra, the Brentano String Quartet, So Percussion, Gamelan Padhang Moncar and Orchestra Wellington. She recently received her doctorate in music composition at Princeton University and taught music to prisoners at Sing Sing Correctional Facility as a faculty member of Musicambia – music for social change... London's 'Time Out' called her music, 'Avante-garde pop that recalls Nina Simone and Tim Buckley'..."

Era member @FantasticMrFoxdie posted the story of how the track came to be featured in the game:

SecondNature said:
Man, the music is really something else. I dont know how Kojima finds these artists, because the song in this trailer is from an artist on Youtube who literally has no other song uploaded (except 1 instrumental tune)

FantasticMrFoxdie said:
Cool Story Kojima mentioned in the PS Blog

"A serendipitous bond (strand) formed between myself and SILENT POETS, whose song is featured in the trailer. We had a number of performance capture sessions in Japan, and met some amazing people who were part of the catering staff. Not only was the food exceptional, their hospitality was outstanding. One day, we found out that one of their members [Michiharu Shimoda of SILENT POETS] was a veteran musician. When we started talking, we learned that they were about to release an album for the first time in 12 years. When I listened to the sample they gave me, an image of Sam walking in the wilderness naturally popped into my head. It was the song 'Asylums for the Feeling' from the album Dawn..."

blog.us.playstation.com

Watch the New Death Stranding Trailer From E3 2018

Get your first look at how Hideo Kojima's mysterious new game will play.

Apparently Leila sang the song live last year, back in October. Too bad she hasn't gotten a Kojima retweet yet, as far as I can tell (though I don't really follow any game developers on twitter, so I might have missed it): https://twitter.com/leilaadu/status/1187837235988533248

Incidentally, I did end up missing several of the song triggers during my playthrough, since there's often multiple routes available, during the course of the story missions.

For those interested, someone at reddit posted a list of the in-game songs, and the specific routes that trigger each of them (spoiler at the link): SPOILER: Here is a full list of Death Stranding in-game songs and the routes that trigger them

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Posting here instead of creating a new "LTTP - when does it get better?" thread lol.

So I started Death Stranding, 3 hours in (starting Amelie episode), and the game is putting me to sleep. I'm a huge MGS fan, these games are some of my fav ever since the PS1 days, always loved Kojima and DS was one of my most anticipated games last year (for reasons I couldn't get into it until now). I just don't know what he's done here. I dislike almost everything about the game:

- the body calibration mechanics, feels like I'm controlling a tank instead of a person, the whole wandering and exploration is so annoying because Sam can't quite keep straight. This is the most worrying part because I know this is the main mechanic of the game and I just don't find it fun at all. :/

- everything is so clunky and cumbersome, e.g. I'm in that home base place and I just want to get up and go outside but I'm wasting my time showering and sh*tting, moving the camera around until I'm allowed to find that hidden environment prompt. Wtf, not even Telltale Games are that bad. Also the menus, UI and controls are not intuitive at all, e.g. I was asked to soothe BB and that's a 3-button combination like it's a Tekken combo. Btw I'm someone who finds The Witcher 3's controls and menus fine.

- people say the beginning is gameplay-focused but so far it's been cutscene after cutscene for things I just don't care. Things are happening and characters are introduced without explanation, the whole idea of putting real-life actors in the game is just not working and don't get me started about all this jargon the game throws at you - BB, BT, DOOMS, BRIDGES, Voidout, jeez this is feels like FF13 all over again with the Fal'cie and L'cie nonsense. The whole thing feels like Kojima has lost the plot and this comes from someone who even loved MGS4's story and twists.

- while technically amazing the game world is so barren and uninteresting to explore with art direction that is so bland and just boring to me (ok, that's pretty subjective). I know that's influenced by the story but if for some people Horizon's world was empty then what can one say about Death Stranding?

... which leads me to the usual question (that I hate when it comes to games that I like :-)): does it get any better? Should I keep playing until I have seen the full gameplay loop and a bit more of the story or should I just give up? I know the game opens up a bit and there are philosopical topics explored but I'm not having fun so far. I didn't want to bounce off this game so much and it kind of saddens me that I just can't find one thing to love about this game.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Episode 3 is where things start to pick up and the game opens up (gadgets, multiplayer, world building etc). Everything before that is basically tutorial island.

Oct 27, 2017
Episode 3 is where things start to pick up and the game opens up (gadgets, multiplayer, world building etc). Everything before that is basically tutorial island.

Definitely. Quite a few guides contain similar advice:
Focus on orders for sam in the first two episodes (and hold off on doing standard orders, until you've got more tools in Episode 3).

Some additional discussion, from earlier in the thread:
[...] Almost immediately after you get [to Episode 3] you'll start finding new ways of getting around and new structures to build that fundamentally change the way you think about the game. The section you're about to leave is basically a tutorial.

I'd understand if you decided you didn't want to continue on, but I think you'll find the game feels significantly different once you put a few more hours in. Systems you've already been exposed to, like the ability to use other people's structures in your world, will make more sense, and entirely new systems will begin to appear.
Heh, yeah, this game can be a bit like Dragon Age: Inquisition in that it's easy to feel like you should do everything in the starting area immediately and you really, really shouldn't. The game's kind of bad at telling you this so I totally get it.
If you haven't yet made it to Episode 3, and you're maybe curious about the stuff mentioned above: a quick visual demonstration of how the 'Power Skeleton'/exoskeleton changes the game quite a bit (by doubling your carrying capacity).

See the 1min24sec mark in the following video:

In the next video below, note how Sam instantly goes from hunched over at 1min09sec to standing upright at 1min10sec, just by equipping the Power Skeleton: Sam's carrying capacity instantly increases from 125 kg to 245 kg, almost doubling (you can also watch the yellow circle at the bottom of the screen, to see the numbers change):

With the Power Skeleton equipped, you can carry a huge stack of stuff without losing balance, and you can even do the double jump (sprint by clicking the left stick / L3 --> then jump --> then jump again, while in the air) over smaller bodies of water, as seen in the video below (from 2min47sec to 2min57sec):

In short, you get a bunch of different traversal options/upgrades/tools later on, and once you get them, you don't have to engage with the balancing mechanics (L2/R2 stuff) anywhere near as much.

- the body calibration mechanics, feels like I'm controlling a tank instead of a person, the whole wandering and exploration is so annoying because Sam can't quite keep straight. This is the most worrying part...

I also posted some balancing suggestions earlier in the thread: one / two.

ket

Jul 27, 2018
Posting here instead of creating a new "LTTP - when does it get better?" thread lol.

So I started Death Stranding, 3 hours in (starting Amelie episode), and the game is putting me to sleep. I'm a huge MGS fan, these games are some of my fav ever since the PS1 days, always loved Kojima and DS was one of my most anticipated games last year (for reasons I couldn't get into it until now). I just don't know what he's done here. I dislike almost everything about the game:

- the body calibration mechanics, feels like I'm controlling a tank instead of a person, the whole wandering and exploration is so annoying because Sam can't quite keep straight. This is the most worrying part because I know this is the main mechanic of the game and I just don't find it fun at all. :/

- everything is so clunky and cumbersome, e.g. I'm in that home base place and I just want to get up and go outside but I'm wasting my time showering and sh*tting, moving the camera around until I'm allowed to find that hidden environment prompt. Wtf, not even Telltale Games are that bad. Also the menus, UI and controls are not intuitive at all, e.g. I was asked to soothe BB and that's a 3-button combination like it's a Tekken combo. Btw I'm someone who finds The Witcher 3's controls and menus fine.

- people say the beginning is gameplay-focused but so far it's been cutscene after cutscene for things I just don't care. Things are happening and characters are introduced without explanation, the whole idea of putting real-life actors in the game is just not working and don't get me started about all this jargon the game throws at you - BB, BT, DOOMS, BRIDGES, Voidout, jeez this is feels like FF13 all over again with the Fal'cie and L'cie nonsense. The whole thing feels like Kojima has lost the plot and this comes from someone who even loved MGS4's story and twists.

- while technically amazing the game world is so barren and uninteresting to explore with art direction that is so bland and just boring to me (ok, that's pretty subjective). I know that's influenced by the story but if for some people Horizon's world was empty then what can one say about Death Stranding?

... which leads me to the usual question (that I hate when it comes to games that I like :-)): does it get any better? Should I keep playing until I have seen the full gameplay loop and a bit more of the story or should I just give up? I know the game opens up a bit and there are philosopical topics explored but I'm not having fun so far. I didn't want to bounce off this game so much and it kind of saddens me that I just can't find one thing to love about this game.

If you're not enjoying the core gameplay then no I'd say that it doesn't get better. That said here's some answers:

1) You dont need to use the bathroom or shower, the grenades you get from either are pretty useless and you can run away from/avoid the BTs easily

2) Sam's stamina, balance, weight limit get better as he levels up after completing deliveries but these upgrades aren't common

3) You barely need to actually sooth BB. As long as you don't fall down or get attacked by BTs then BB will usually stay silent and you'll rarely need to take care of it.

4) Pretty much all the world is empty aside from preppers, bandit camps, and BT zones. You won't come across a town with non-hostile characters or anything like that

Oct 27, 2017
1) You dont need to use the bathroom or shower, the grenades you get from either are pretty useless [...]

3) You barely need to actually sooth BB. As long as you don't fall down or get attacked by BTs then BB will usually stay silent and you'll rarely need to take care of it. [...]

Definitely good suggestions above.

2) Sam's stamina, balance, weight limit get better as he levels up after completing deliveries but these upgrades aren't common

Perhaps worth mentioning: the Power Skeleton is a pretty dramatic upgrade (which is why I focus on it in this post).

On the other hand, it probably takes around 10-15 hours to actually get to the Power Skeleton (it's part of the main/story path).

So it's understandable if Steiner_Zi would rather quit before getting to that point.

I just unlocked the power skeletons, helped the guy out and got it upgraded to lv3. Does anyone else feel like they remove the challenge from the game?

I'm sprinting across the map with 250kg on my back and Sam never misses a step. The grueling slog of the first chapters are gone, and to me thats the essence of why I love the game.

Vehicles are okay because they become useless on rougher terrain, but my power skeleton is letting my fly up and down the map. I thought timefall might ruin the electronics, but nope, they keep on going, hardly even get damaged.

Is anyone else feeling like this? Is there something I still haven't seen that is going to counter these? I might have to do a no-skeleton playthrough.

The top response:
That's kinda the point. As you get further you get better upgrades. It gets even easier still, just wait.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
So I haven't played the game in over 3 weeks, maybe longer. Does anyone know if all my roads and ziplines will be doa or how does that work?

Thanks.

Oct 27, 2017
So I haven't played the game in over 3 weeks, maybe longer. Does anyone know if all my roads and ziplines will be doa or how does that work?

Thanks.

From what I can tell, the reddit comments pasted below are correct: deterioration stops completely when you quit the game.

"It's based on ingame time. Saving & quitting, buildings will still be at the same degradation/damage they where at [when you saved], whenever you reload. Leaving the game on over night or just playing, buildings will degrade over time doing things like sleeping in room, timefall shelter "rest" etc will speed up building damage. Being in the pause menu doesn't seem to stop time totally eather, if you're in a safe location it will close after some time and your character will sit/sleep."

"...[T]he durability is local to you. When you first connect an area to the chiral network all structures of others begin at 100%. So basically the durability you see and others see will be different. Only upgrades are shared."

"Time in your own world stops if you don't play. Your structures could long be destroyed in other players worlds (if they play more than you). It's asynchronous."

One thing I'm not too sure about though, in relation to the above: upgrading the ziplines in your existing network would definitely be helpful to other players (upgrading the ones that have a lot of likes would probably be particularly helpful), but if you built those ziplines a long time ago (maybe close to launch), wouldn't many of the players who once used these 'old' ziplines have stopped playing by now? In which case, building new structures (if you have the bandwidth) might be the way to go, if your goal is to be helpful to other players in the post-game.

Not sure exactly how the system works, just assuming that newly built structures are more likely than old ones to spawn into the gameworlds of those who are currently/actively playing (it's probably more complicated than that though).

I completed the story in December, and I've been going back periodically (haven't gotten all the achievements quite yet).

And as I'm continuing to upgrade various structures (both mine and those of other players) as I go, I'm checking out the structures of other players (by hovering over them and pressing triangle while on the map): if the structures were originally spawned in early December, for example, the players who built them will often have stopped playing some time in January (pressing triangle when a structure is selected on the map lets you see the last time the builder logged on).

So basically: you don't have to worry about timefall deterioration at all, if you've completely stopped playing for a long time (timefall degradation completely stops if the game is turned off), but your structures may be 'dead' in another sense: many of the players who were using the structures in your particular gameworld may have stopped playing by now, especially if it's been a few months since you last played.

Last edited:

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
From what I can tell, the reddit comments pasted below are correct: deterioration stops completely when you quit the game.

I completed the story in December, and I've been going back periodically (haven't gotten all the achievements quite yet).

And as I'm continuing to upgrade various structures (both mine and those of other players) as I go, I'm checking out the structures of other players (by hovering over them and pressing triangle while on the map): if the structures were originally spawned in early December, for example, the players who built them will often have stopped playing some time in January (pressing triangle when a structure is selected on the map lets you see the last time the builder logged on).

So basically: you don't have to worry about timefall deterioration at all, if you've completely stopped playing for a long time (timefall degradation completely stops if the game is turned off), but your structures may be 'dead' in another sense: many of the players who were using the structures in your particular gameworld may have stopped playing by now, especially if it's been a few months since you last played.
Great. Thanks so much for the detailed response. I never really considered how others might not be using the structures because of leaving the game but that is a good point. I'm mostly just doing post game stuff for trophies so as long as I can zip around and make my deliveries I'll be good to go.

Thanks again.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if this will matter to much (or if I completely missed it) but the new update allows you to skip with just pressing circle some cutscenes - the one when you lay your head down for a nap and your blood bag gets filled up and, after a second, when you pick up/drop off orders, as well as the ones when you use the elevator into your rest room.

Oh, and cutscenes when you travel in a quicker way.

Rest of them as far as I can tell it's still options and select skip, but there you go.

Cut all my ziplines if old.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tips and encouragement! I've put down a bunch of ziplines already, and it's helped to 5-star a few Preppers in the mountains.
Slowly making my way through Ep6, and still enjoying it, but just got a lot of other games back in rotation now. Playing when I'm in the mood and have plenty of time to settle in.
Great. Thanks so much for the detailed response. I never really considered how others might not be using the structures because of leaving the game but that is a good point. I'm mostly just doing post game stuff for trophies so as long as I can zip around and make my deliveries I'll be good to go.

Thanks again.

Glad it was helpful! Always nice reading updates from folks, as they're making their way through the game &/or post-game.

Don't know if this will matter to much (or if I completely missed it) but the new update allows you to skip with just pressing circle some cutscenes - the one when you lay your head down for a nap and your blood bag gets filled up and, after a second, when you pick up/drop off orders, as well as the ones when you use the elevator into your rest room.

Oh, and cutscenes when you travel in a quicker way.

Rest of them as far as I can tell it's still options and select skip, but there you go.

Cut all my ziplines if old.

Nice, glad that they're still updating. I wonder what other tweaks we'll see, by the time of the PC release.

twitter.com

KOJIMA PRODUCTIONS (Eng) on Twitter

“【News】There is an update (version 1.11) for #DeathStranding launched today! Some of the cut scenes can be skipped using the cancel button from the 2nd time. #TomorrowIsInYourHands”

OP
OP
Kindekuma

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for some PC news sometime soon. Also can't wait to see how some graphical features will be included in this game. Wanting some AO options for the grass and crevaces to add some more depth. Really also hoping Nvidia Ansel support. I'm not sure if the engine has physics tied to framerate but 60 and higher options would be nice too. It would really smooth out the crisp animations even more.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
What did y'all think of the "Princess Beach" line?

I found it hilarious. That run across the beach scene too. Couldn't tell if it was intentionally silly or not though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I thought it was fine. At that point in the game, either the story has you or it doesn't. If it does, it's only marginally more goofy than, say, everything Higgs does in the game, so it should be fine. If it doesn't, Princess Beach is just one more indignity to throw on the pile and the story probably lost you days ago.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Honestly, I thought it was fine. At that point in the game, either the story has you or it doesn't. If it does, it's only marginally more goofy than, say, everything Higgs does in the game, so it should be fine. If it doesn't, Princess Beach is just one more indignity to throw on the pile and the story probably lost you days ago.

and i actually am into the story. Go figure. I've realized Kojima's dialogue is the weakest thing about what he does.

I thought it was goofy and semi-intentional, and I also liked Higgs. Then again, I get Kojima's quirk so maybe that influences my perception of it all.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018

I found it hilarious. That run across the beach scene too. Couldn't tell if it was intentionally silly or not though.
I laughed my ass off. Kojima had to be taking the piss.

I mean, it's obviously intentional and I assume he was going for satire like "hey, you finally made it to final castle and rescued the princess; this is what you expected, right?" only to subvert expectations with hours and hours of more weird story beats.

Everything in that cutscene makes a little more sense once you know the rest of the story btw.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
well, i just reached the Evo-devo Biologist Prepper and the plot is giving me some Mass Effect vibes
DS being something that happens every X time, is also a bit like the reapers and their extinction cicles

really interested in see how the plot develops.

Btw, i usually dislike spending time reading things while playing , so i barely pay attention to emails and other info and data provided by the game, but maybe i am missing something interesting. Any advice on this? Any reports or things like that that should be read?

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

I laughed at how bad it was, and I similarly have no idea if it was intentional. But it's not like that line is one of the actual problems I had with the writing or anything like that.

Mostly I just wish they had actually connected it with all the stuff Higgs was suddenly saying about boss battles and all that, rather than it just being a mostly disconnected reference despite being so close to those lines? "Your princess is in another castle" and so on is kinda tired meme territory anyway, but they could have easily used that or a reference to it to lead into a similar joke.

plus aren't the only consoles they know about Sony ones, how would Sam even know who they are, smh

Oct 27, 2017
well, i just reached the Evo-devo Biologist Prepper and the plot is giving me some Mass Effect vibes [...] really interested in see how the plot develops.

Btw, i usually dislike spending time reading things while playing , so i barely pay attention to emails and other info and data provided by the game, but maybe i am missing something interesting. Any advice on this? Any reports or things like that that should be read?
Nice! One thing to note about the reading (perhaps you're aware already): make sure to at least open the emails, since not opening them can block progress (i.e., prevent leveling up NPC locations), in some cases. You don't necessarily have to actually read the emails, though, just open them.

Other than that, since you're liking the story so far, for now I would probably only read interviews and emails if you find particular ones interesting, or if you start to find the story a bit confusing at some point.

Some wiki-type sites have compiled the interviews into one place, for easy reading outside of the game, but even the titles of the interviews contain a lot of spoilers, so for that reason probably not that helpful for someone still making their way through the game.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I laughed at how bad it was, and I similarly have no idea if it was intentional. But it's not like that line is one of the actual problems I had with the writing or anything like that.

Mostly I just wish they had actually connected it with all the stuff Higgs was suddenly saying about boss battles and all that, rather than it just being a mostly disconnected reference despite being so close to those lines? "Your princess is in another castle" and so on is kinda tired meme territory anyway, but they could have easily used that or a reference to it to lead into a similar joke.

plus aren't the only consoles they know about Sony ones, how would Sam even know who they are, smh

Finished it and I enjoyed the story.

I was overall satifised, despite that last boss being what it was. Personally would have changed around some of the order of events, but it was very thoughtful, even touching.

Missed opportunity to render Sam's past to give his ending even more impact. That was an oversight.

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I think that line was definitely intended just as a cute joke, but in addition, could be that Kojima feels like he's paying tribute in some small way with the Mario reference, given how much he seems to respect Miyamoto:

Kotaku: Metal Gear Creator Gushes Over Super Mario Bros.
Reflecting on the game's 25th anniversary in the latest issue of Nintendo Power, Kojima gets gushy when describing the iconic NES platformer, lavishing Nintendo's "amazing feat" with praise bordering on idolatry.

"Shigeru Miyamoto not only altered the future of gaming," Kojima says of Super Mario Bros.'s contributions to gaming, "but actually change the concept of 'value' for all forms of entertainment. And, in the process, changed my future—leading me to become the game designer I am today."

"I feel the game truly deserves to be hailed as one of mankind's greatest inventions," Kojima continues, clearly fresh from a stint in his hyperbolic chamber. "The game's design, sense of fun, interactivity, and cerebral philosophy have made it the forefather of every game that has come since and of every game yet to come."

"Super Mario Bros. is the equivalent to the big bang of our gaming universe," Kojima contends. "If it were not for this blindingly spectacular creation, digital entertainment as we know it today would not exist."

Business Week
But while in college—he won't say where—he played a video game that would influence his career choice: Super Mario Bros., developed by Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto. "I saw the future," Kojima says, about the experience. "If it weren't for Miyamoto-san I wouldn't be where I am."

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
well, i just reached the Evo-devo Biologist Prepper and the plot is giving me some Mass Effect vibes
DS being something that happens every X time, is also a bit like the reapers and their extinction cicles

really interested in see how the plot develops.

Feel free to read only the stuff you feel like reading. I read a whole bunch of it because I wanted the Platinum (you didn't actually have to read the interviews, just open them, but hey, why not?). I cannot tell you what was in any of them. I definitely remember some interesting tidbits here and there but if you wanted to skip all of it I don't think it would be a problem.

The single exception to this: read all the emails from the Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer. Not because you'll learn a whole lot of lore, though. Just... well, you'll see. (Maybe you've already done this and understand.)

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
I'm curious did anyone else have no idea what Amelie's relationship to Sam was supposed to be throughout the game? Obviously you gain more insight toward the end but how did they know each other before? Sister, romantic interest? I don't remember it being explicitly said.

I probably should've paid closer attention or something because it partly soured my journey westward having no idea why Sam should care for this chick.

And either way, how tf did Sam not notice Amelie staying the same age literally since he was a baby?

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious did anyone else have no idea what Amelie's relationship to Sam was supposed to be throughout the game? Obviously you gain more insight toward the end but how did they know each other before? Sister, romantic interest? I don't remember it being explicitly said.

I probably should've paid closer attention or something because it partly soured my journey westward having no idea why Sam should care for this chick.

And either way, how tf did Sam not notice Amelie staying the same age literally since he was a baby?

The game plainly said it was his sister many times.

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017

They totally said directly she was his sister, multiple times, from early on. Granted, they have some weird tension in their scenes together, but they did say it.

also, it's kinda weird but there's an offhand line in an early scene...
about her not aging due to her body being on the beach (or something like that); I think it's in the scene at Central where she walks through a map of America?

of course, I don't know how well that actually lines up with what Sam assumes when the later reveals happen, but they did say that much

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, I figured I must've missed that! Still is it explained how their relationship worked like...growing up?
Didn't Sam ever question why his sister was always an adult even when he was a child?

Some of the postgame interview files (Lucy's reports, mostly) do actually go over how that worked, but not in a ton of detail. May be worth looking them up if you're not gonna get them naturally anyway.

See my post above for the spoiler.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Some of the postgame interview files (Lucy's reports, mostly) do actually go over how that worked, but not in a ton of detail. May be worth looking them up if you're not gonna get them naturally anyway.

See my post above for the spoiler.
Thanks! I'll probably dive back in one of these days to mess around in the last chapter. I really enjoyed my time with the game, just missed a few things here and there story wise due to the sheer amount of exposition.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Nice! One thing to note about the reading (perhaps you're aware already): make sure to at least open the emails, since not opening them can block progress (i.e., prevent leveling up NPC locations), in some cases. You don't necessarily have to actually read the emails, though, just open them.

Other than that, since you're liking the story so far, for now I would probably only read interviews and emails if you find particular ones interesting, or if you start to find the story a bit confusing at some point.

Some wiki-type sites have compiled the interviews into one place, for easy reading outside of the game, but even the titles of the interviews contain a lot of spoilers, so for that reason probably not that helpful for someone still making their way through the game.
Feel free to read only the stuff you feel like reading. I read a whole bunch of it because I wanted the Platinum (you didn't actually have to read the interviews, just open them, but hey, why not?). I cannot tell you what was in any of them. I definitely remember some interesting tidbits here and there but if you wanted to skip all of it I don't think it would be a problem.

The single exception to this: read all the emails from the Chiral Artist and the Junk Dealer. Not because you'll learn a whole lot of lore, though. Just... well, you'll see. (Maybe you've already done this and understand.)

Thanks!!!, will take a look at those emails then, at least a few of them. I recently found that i could increase font size so it may be easier now since i sit quite far from the TV and small text is sometimes difficult to read.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!!!, will take a look at those emails then, at least a few of them. I recently found that i could increase font size so it may be easier now since i sit quite far from the TV and small text is sometimes difficult to read.

Nice, yeah it was very good to hear that they put out an update to allow font size increase. I remember many folks were struggling with the small text when the game released.

Hoping for some PC news sometime soon. Also can't wait to see how some graphical features will be included in this game. Wanting some AO options for the grass and crevaces to add some more depth. Really also hoping Nvidia Ansel support. I'm not sure if the engine has physics tied to framerate but 60 and higher options would be nice too. It would really smooth out the crisp animations even more.

So the Photo Mode, high frame rate, and ultra-wide monitor support all sound great!

Though as you noted, Nvidia Ansel support in particular would be great. No word on that yet, as far as I know. Maybe we could tweet to 505 Games?

Probably we can at least look forward to 16x Anisotropic Filtering and other standard PC options, as discussed in Digital Foundry's speculation video, from back in November:

4min00sec: ...I imagine they're gonna kind of do the same things that we see in a lot of PC versions usually where there's incremental upgrades of things that allow them to be incremented. so things like volumetric fog. Or the resolution of shadows, like in this game it's pretty important like for a lot of the close-up shots of characters both in gameplay and out of gameplay in cutscenes there. I even mentioned it once in a trailer analysis video I did, where you can see the shadow map resolution on the PlayStation 4 pro version rather often even in cinematics, where it kind of you know dithers out and you can see the edge of the individual pixels of that shadow map. That's something that I imagine as like a first initial thing, upgrade that for a PC version that would occur, just because it's usually just, you know, increasing a value or doubling a value from 1024 to 2048, or something like that, that's really easy stuff, and that applies to things like the volumetric fog, probably the rendering resolution of SSR, SSAO, those things can just be incrementally increased up, without too much development time, it's just a matter of creating the settings menu which supports that actually, which is a big deal, so UI front end [is important]...

DF Article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-what-should-we-expect-from-death-stranding-pc

I noticed that YuSuzzune had a nice tip as well. I'm on the Humble Classic Plan, and for me the discount was 10% rather than 20%, but still definitely nice to have:
Just a warning: Death Stranding is 20% off for Humble Choice users and 22% off on GMG, you should get the same stuff you get by pre-ordering on Steam.

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I was pretty touched by the ending.

It wasn't corny and ai was waiting for it to get there. I grew pretty attached to BB/Louise, which was no doubt the intention. So when it's revealed she's alive, and Sam steps out into the open and the rain clears, I was pretty satisfied with it.

But why did Kojima think the structure of episode 13 was a good idea? Running from the shore into the mountains 5+ times, to be met with exposition each time from Amelie was pretty weird. So weird that it seemed deliberate, but I fail to see what the intention, if any, there was.

Oct 27, 2017
Some neat screenshots that Era members have posted in the Console Screenshot Thread:

Member FarbrorBaku:
Member ducktape:
Member Ryo:
Member Tesla Trooper:
So will certainly be interested to see what gets posted in the PC Screenshot thread eventually!

twitter.com

HIDEO_KOJIMA on Twitter

“Check out the Photo Mode in DEATH STRANDING PC ver. You can change the angle, on/off Sam or BB, pause, facial expression, aperture, exposure, filter, color correction, title, frames, etc. to make your original Pre-Order now. https://t.co/TxRuNL91u2 https://t.co/3FgrrCsIP9”

twitter.com

HIDEO_KOJIMA on Twitter

“Introducing DEATH STRANDING PC version’s Ultra Wide Monitor. Even though I wrote it, I feel that Sam’s line, gives us a big positive power when I look at the world experiencing right now. Pre-Order now. ↓ https://t.co/TxRuNL91u2 https://t.co/egPKdaVrIs”

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I'm seriously considering getting it on PC, despite not having played in a few months. Playing it in ultrawide would be great.

Footos22

Oct 25, 2017

It wasn't corny and ai was waiting for it to get there. I grew pretty attached to BB/Louise, which was no doubt the intention. So when it's revealed she's alive, and Sam steps out into the open and the rain clears, I was pretty satisfied with it.

But why did Kojima think the structure of episode 13 was a good idea? Running from the shore into the mountains 5+ times, to be met with exposition each time from Amelie was pretty weird. So weird that it seemed deliberate, but I fail to see what the intention, if any, there was.
Yeah that bit was just so you can see kojimas name in the credits about 10x without being able to skip it. Just run to the invisible walls each time and repeat. Was pointless

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017

Well, Sam was on the beach a whole month. So I would guess it's to make you feel desolate as he would in that situation.

Although I do agree it was handled quite poorly. Going to one of the limits and teleporting back was it? That was kinda dumb. I would've made an infinite beach or something like that so you could go endlessly until the next exposition.

Last edited by a moderator:

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017

Agree with this massively. Usually I love Kojima's trolling and can kind of see the point, but the mechanics of his games always leave me cold. For example I actually loved the first hour of MGSV and began to get bored with all the systems in the open world.

In DS it was the complete opposite - I loved the mechanics and was addicted to the general deliveries, whilst the overall story outside of caring for BB left me cold.

I've literally just done the final chapter (typing this whilst watching some more credits) and after having got to Edge Knot city it's gone from an amazing experience to a story that jumped the whale and left me a bit bored. I'd like revisiting places in the final missions and I'm pleased I played it as there isn't much like it, but I don't know if I could recommend it.

Also, the boss/battle fights sucked. Actually turned difficulty down just to be done with them. Play time of 72 hours, with 18 tonnes of cargo delievered.

Oct 27, 2017

Really liked the music in the promotional trailer above (it's a bit different from the track "Lou", on the original score), and I noticed, from Ludvig Forssell's twitter:

"I'm also happy to announce that the Pre-Order of the PC Digital Standard Edition also will include an Extended Digital version of the #DeathStranding score!"

Incidentally, someone from the Playstation audio team mentioned, in a recent interview: "...Well we had, I think, four or five people in Tokyo at Kojima Productions, including the audio director and composer Ludvig Forssell, who wrote about seven hours of music for this gamelike, wrote seven hours. Usually our composers write about two, to two and a half hours. This guy is prolific..."

See also:
www.usgamer.net

How Sony and Kojima Productions Played Telephone Across the Globe to Create Death Stranding's Soundscape

Backstage at the 23rd annual DICE Awards, the energy is electric. It's the tail end of a long week of networking, roundtables, and talks at DICE Summit 2020,...
"...I'm joined backstage in a huddle by members of the audio team at Sony, who collaborated with Kojima Productions on Death Stranding. They feel like a large group, but it's actually representative of a surprisingly small team for a triple-A project featuring A-list actors... At the 2020 DICE Awards, members of Sony's audio team accepted the award for Outstanding Achievement in Audio Design. The cross-development team worked together swimmingly, they tell USgamer backstage at the awards..."

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Sam was on the beach a whole month. So I would guess it's to make you feel desolate as he would in that situation.

Although I do agree it was handled quite poorly. Going to one of the limits and teleporting back was it? That was kinda dumb. I would've made an infinite beach or something like that so you could go endlessly until the next exposition.

Yeah, even just not resetting your position as much would have helped a lot. I get that they do want you to feel something through it... but it's probably a feeling that's stronger than general frustration, hah. So just an infinite area or, like, it gradually shifting back to the beach environment or something could have conveyed that better.

Mitochondrion

Oct 27, 2017
I have not played Death Stranding and I have avoided spoilers. I am quite interested to play the game but I would like to know if the game is complete? Are there plans for DLCs or anything? There is not going to be a Definitive/Complete/Gold/Game of the Year edition?

deepFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have not played Death Stranding and I have avoided spoilers. I am quite interested to play the game but I would like to know if the game is complete? Are there plans for DLCs or anything? There is not going to be a Definitive/Complete/Gold/Game of the Year edition?

There has been nothing announced DLC-wise; everything so far that's been out so far has just been free QoL-focused updates. I don't think there's any paid cosmetic DLC or anything like that either, just preorder bonuses. And those bonuses aren't notable at all- it's basically just gold colored versions of equipment which you can only access when you get the equipment normally, and they're only available for the level 1 versions of them when there's levels 2 and 3 that you'll end up using instead.

They could always release something that bundles that in permanently, I guess, but that's about it. Otherwise, some of the QoL stuff they added (reduced BT cutscenes and easier repeated cutscene skip) has made me pretty jealous, so if you wait longer there may be even more of that added. So it's up to you if that matters.