• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Hmm, that's weird. I don't recall seeing it on anything yet except the sky (which, to be fair, is a problem in a lot of games on any display due to the way the engine handles it). I'm on an LG C8, so 4K HDR, if that means anything.

I'll keep an eye out though and see if I can spot it elsewhere.
Interesting. I have a B8. Guess I need to mess around with the settings again.

I get banding without HDR. It's especially bad on the ceiling of the private room, for instance.
Same, on walls as well.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This game's environments look like they were pulled straight out of Prometheus and Alien Covenant. I can't get enough of this game visually.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I destroyed it......sorry

SL0iEWU.gif

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I just went from the Capital to the first Waystation, and did I seriously go from the East Coast to like Ohio?

I mean I don't expect the USA to be 1:1 but DAMN

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the sky? Yeah, I'm getting it too. I can't recall if I got it in Horizon too, and if it's just a Decima issue.

I don't know if the first ten hours are an issue so much as just how the game is designed. Death Stranding does the same thing almost every single open world game does; the first 5 - 10 hours are set in smaller, more restricted zones with structured introduction to game systems and exploration, with a heavier emphasis on narrative. Whereas the content that follows is more open and free in its approach to missions and game system use.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the opening chapters of the game, which is to highlight that it's not so much an issue as a subjectivity thing. "It takes 10 hours to get going" is a fair argument if you find the opening chapters and tutorialisation of concepts boring, but if you don't then there's no issue to speak of.

But yeah, almost all open world games do this. Horizon certainly did it, and funnily enough I'm firmly in the camp that the opening 5 or so hours of that game are horrendously boring considering how much more enjoyable the experience becomes once it opens up. Death Stranding isn't quite like The Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild where it's tutorial area is still surprisingly open and free in how it lets you experiment with game systems while also teaching you how to play. It's a lot more like Horizon. But yeah; the issue is only as much of one as it is your own enjoyment of the experience.
thanks, this is exactly what i looking for. i liked horizons pacing so maybe i will like this as well.

Last edited:

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if the first ten hours are an issue so much as just how the game is designed. Death Stranding does the same thing almost every single open world game does; the first 5 - 10 hours are set in smaller, more restricted zones with structured introduction to game systems and exploration, with a heavier emphasis on narrative. Whereas the content that follows is more open and free in its approach to missions and game system use.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the opening chapters of the game, which is to highlight that it's not so much an issue as a subjectivity thing. "It takes 10 hours to get going" is a fair argument if you find the opening chapters and tutorialisation of concepts boring, but if you don't then there's no issue to speak of.

But yeah, almost all open world games do this. Horizon certainly did it, and funnily enough I'm firmly in the camp that the opening 5 or so hours of that game are horrendously boring considering how much more enjoyable the experience becomes once it opens up. Death Stranding isn't quite like The Witcher 3 or Breath of the Wild where it's tutorial area is still surprisingly open and free in how it lets you experiment with game systems while also teaching you how to play. It's a lot more like Horizon. But yeah; the issue is only as much of one as it is your own enjoyment of the experience.
The opening area of DS is not that small tho.

Granted, I haven't finished Episode 2 yet (reached the Port Knot City and even though I was really enjoying it, I decided to stop for the night) but to me it looked like I was doing the proper gameplay loop of the game and not some restricted version of the gameplay and its systems.

So if someone doesn't enjoy the first 5-6 hours, I don't think they'll enjoy the following 30 or so hours either tbh. Again, I've only played the game for like 8-9 hours myself, so maybe the game opens up in a significant way and introduces a lot of new mechanics that I'm not aware of it.

TheLionsDen

Oct 27, 2017
QC/NYC
Here's a preorder code for an add-on(?) in the game. I preorder a while back then canceled once I lost interest in the game but Target still sent me a preorder bonus code.

Claimed

Last edited:

_Karooo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not enjoying the game so far. It is very stressful.

Only like three hours in reached the distribution center place.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
11 hrs. in. Really enjoying the game.

I've a question: Can I just leave my bike in a station with some stuff in it? I notice when I get away some of the items in it flash red which I guess is not a good sign. How can I store the bike in a regular station (not the ones with garage elevator) and take a walk?

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I am not enjoying the game so far. It is very stressful.
Some general advice:

- Hold R2 and L2 all the time when you have too much cargo
- Crouch when BTs show up
- Keep walking in crouch mode towards your destination, ignore the BTs
- Only hold your breath when the radar thingy starts circling really fast and turns orange
- Keep walking (in crouch) even when you are holding your breath
- immediately let go of R1 to breath again when the radar goes back to blue (still keep walking)
- Rinse and repeat until you are past the BT territory
- Don't worry about rain damaging your cargo
- Be careful of your momentum when going down a hill/steep
- Don't worry about mules, just punch them or use a Strand to get rid of them quickly

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Lol, I have more likes from other players than from actual NPCs. It's interesting cuz the people I check have more likes from NPCs from actual players. This aspect of creating bridges and building roads is super fun ngl.

LYmfc0h.png

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if it's already been asked, but how am I supposed to "correctly" utilise materials I found in the world?

do I "recycle" them first like you do with the crystals? I'm just keeping a bunch of them in a private locker for now because I have no idea wtf I'm doing haha

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
I'm about an hour into the game and I have to admit the intro really got me. It was so well done, the music playing as you're delivering you're first package it was awesome. But now that I'm invested I do have a question. I'll post with spoiler tags.

Okay, as the first few minutes of the game suggest, are BTs humanoid?

They long like elongated humans but trailers and videos have shown them to be whales and lions?

Them being humanoid is much more interesting than wild animals.

Im genuinely interested in the game now. Glad I got it from Red Box.

No takers?

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if it's already been asked, but how am I supposed to "correctly" utilise materials I found in the world?

do I "recycle" them first like you do with the crystals? I'm just keeping a bunch of them in a private locker for now because I have no idea wtf I'm doing haha
When you recycle them they get added to the materials stock of that location. You can then Claim them again to take them out to in package form to a structure you want to help build or upgrade. Also whatever you craft in the 3D printer will take from the stock you have stored in that location.

Oct 27, 2017
When you recycle them they get added to the materials stock of that location. You can then Claim them again to take them out to in package form to a structure you want to help build or upgrade. Also whatever you craft in the 3D printer will take from the stock you have stored in that location.
Thanks. That's what I thought but I didnt see anything in game explaining it that way, I just guessed it after realising that you don't "return" the crystal delivery despite it showing up as a delivery

Oct 28, 2017
So I just got to Chapter 2 after 2 hours of playtime... am I going too fast? I know the game doesn't open up until Chapter 3 but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know if this is intentional or not but there this weird disconnect I feel.

It's getting hammered again and again about how much I'm bringing America together and how much of a difference I'm making but it doesn't really feel that way. Anywhere you go is completely devoid of physical people and it's such a bizarre feeling.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I don't know if this is intentional or not but there this weird disconnect I feel.

It's getting hammered again and again about how much I'm bringing America together and how much of a difference I'm making but it doesn't really feel that way. Anywhere you go is completely devoid of physical people and it's such a bizarre feeling.
What chapter are you on

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, it would really help to be able to get a glimpse of how people are actually living underground. Then again, I would not be surprised if there is an explanation later on why we can't see that.

Oct 29, 2017
I have some doubts about lost cargo:

What actually happens to the cargo thay you put on Entrust at Postboxes?

Also, after establishing the first Knot, and unlocking the Shared Locker Room feature, I came across a list of cargo left there by other players. I claimed of all it, and then saw the option in the menu to 'Deliver' said cargo, I selected it, I gained a bunch of levels in the Bridge Link category, but I don't know exactly what I did. Again, what happens with that cargo?

Am I being just too dense?

Thanks in advance.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
End of chapter 2.I wanna say. Just got to the second big city.
Keep playing. I understand what you mean but the game has you literally building highways in Chapter 3 and you'll start seeing NPCs actually roam the world. I 100% understand you not feeling like you're not making a tangible impact on the world but you're still in the tutorial. These are two Porters I met after I constructed this road. Also you could argue that feeling of isolation and loneliness is very much intentional from Kojima's part.

EKpbdbm.png

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Fragile looks like she wants to administer CEI to Sam.

Cryptobiote eating instructions

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Keep playing. I understand what you mean but the game has you literally building highways in Chapter 3 and you'll start seeing NPCs actually roam the world. I 100% understand you not feeling like you're not making a tangible impact on the world but you're still in the tutorial. These are two Porters I met after I constructed this road. Also you could argue that feeling of isolation and loneliness is very much intentional from Kojima's part.

EKpbdbm.png
Woah I didn't expect that, I had to leave for work as soon as I hit chapter 3, can't wait to continue tonight!

Seeing those guys really makes me think of an actual multiplayer experience in the world of Death Stranding...man oh man

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I have no idea how anybody thought this game had a slow start, jesus.
I don't understand it either. Then I read some people felt the first 10 hours are great and the game drags after that. But I'm 20 hours in (had access to the game earlier this week) and Death Stranding does NOT ever let up in my opinion. At least not yet. New things to see, new tools to obtain, new experiences every single hour so far. I'm so impressed by it all.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
So I have a shit ton of cargo that's supposed to be delivered to Capital Knot City, I am AT Capital Knot City yet the only option is to entrust it to other players?

Fake Edit:

Wait a minute.....I'm NOT at Capital Knot City and have to travel 1000m...

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Alright after 14 hours I've got to take a break. Still enjoying it so far (currently in chapter 3).

I've noticed Sam is really good at conserving the momentum he gains after he stumbles (well at least when you stumble forward with heavy cargo). Right now I'm currently wondering if I can exploit that to make him trek faster. Will do some experimenting tommorow to test.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Well I snapped. Was out to dinner with the Wife told her we should go to Best Buy and I walked out with PS4 Pro Call of Duty Bundle, DS and a PS Plus card. They did not have of the DS bundles left since they only got a few pre-orders of them. I really don't care for COD but since it free figured why not...I could always trade it in for something else. Had a PRO a while back but did not use it much and I read about the brook adapter that lets you use Xbox One Controllers and that is what pushed me over. I have the new Elite v2 controller but also have my Elite v1 and that is what I will use with the PS4 Pro once my adapter comes in.

Looking forward to jumping into DS later tonight once I get everything hooked up

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Well I snapped. Was out to dinner with the Wife told her we should go to Best Buy and I walked out with PS4 Pro Call of Duty Bundle, DS and a PS Plus card. They did not have of the DS bundles left since they only got a few pre-orders of them. I really don't care for COD but since it free figured why not...I could always trade it in for something else. Had a PRO a while back but did not use it much and I read about the brook adapter that lets you use Xbox One Controllers and that is what pushed me over. I have the new Elite v2 controller but also have my Elite v1 and that is what I will use with the PS4 Pro once my adapter comes in.

Looking forward to jumping into DS later tonight once I get everything hooked up

Haha niiiiiiiiice! Enjoy!

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Just played about 3 hours in normal... There's a big difficulty spike once you start connecting "cities", I can understand why some outlet found it tedious.
But I think the game controls very well and there's some tight challenge in the traversal.

Really loving the game so far, i'm just not sure if I play it the right way...

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just played about 3 hours in normal... There's a big difficulty spike once you start connecting "cities", I can understand why some outlet found it tedious.
But I think the game controls very well and there's some tight challenge in the traversal.

Really loving the game so far, i'm just not sure if I play it the right way...
There is no right way, which partly why I think this game is brilliant. It's open world done right because of the staggering amount of choices we all make on our package deliveries.