• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest myth that's been absolutely busted at this point about this game is that it's actually, y'know, fun to play. Like, moment-to-moment gameplay is actually exciting for me, and this is the first game I've played that has felt truly "open world" thanks to how traversal works, and how the world is constructed and the player is encouraged to slowly peel it back and explore.

I was so prepared for something that wasn't 'fun', but was at least a cinematic accomplishment of sorts. But, actually, this is some of the best gameplay I've seen in a video game offering, with so many new features / weapons / mechanics being constantly unwrapped by the game. If there's a single criticism I'd have, it's just the amount of down time you have sometimes when you have to manage tons of shit in your inventory or what-have-you, but even those moments are satisfying in a weird way because of the social aspect.

If this keeps up at this quality, this will be my GotY.

Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be fun after hearing the complaints. I dislike survival games and repairing gear and inventory management type games so I expected the worst but it's fun. I think item degradation gets overblown too. It's not much of an issue at all and I like how it works. I suppose it's best to try the game and see if it clicks.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
It's very unique. I understand the criticism, but I'm finding this take on open world much more satisfying than something like the last Assassin's Creed or Far Cry.

That's the point.. I'm a little tired of the same formula over and over again of open world games.. is like a breath of fresh air with the Kojima quality we all know and love

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
This game is going to have to explain A LOT later on as right now (start of Chapter 3), this story is utter nonsense. lol

This is way more convoluted than any MGS game.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
The biggest myth that's been absolutely busted at this point about this game is that it's actually, y'know, fun to play. Like, moment-to-moment gameplay is actually exciting for me, and this is the first game I've played that has felt truly "open world" thanks to how traversal works, and how the world is constructed and the player is encouraged to slowly peel it back and explore.

I was so prepared for something that wasn't 'fun', but was at least a cinematic accomplishment of sorts. But, actually, this is some of the best gameplay I've seen in a video game offering, with so many new features / weapons / mechanics being constantly unwrapped by the game. If there's a single criticism I'd have, it's just the amount of down time you have sometimes when you have to manage tons of shit in your inventory or what-have-you, but even those moments are satisfying in a weird way because of the social aspect.

If this keeps up at this quality, this will be my GotY.

I'll have to see how it is hours from now, but I wasn't too worried after MGSV - one of the most 'fun' games of all time

Still not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, but Kojima Productions know how to make a fun game.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
My copy right next to me.
That thing goes straight into my PS4 as I walk through the door, before I even say hi to my family.
is anyone else having issues with like EVERYTHING in the ui being way too fucking small? especially icons
half the time i can't tell what button the game is prompting me to press without leaning forward to squint at the tv

Me..

Really liking the game otherwise, only 2 hrs in though

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I like is how its kind of the antithesis of loot heavy games in terms of the loot actually causing logistics issues and being the main contributor to the gameplay instead of a mindless I gotta pick up all this random shit cause I might need it later but not really.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So maybe its early but BTs aren't randomly generated around the map right? Like there are very specific areas that they pop up in?

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
This game is going to have to explain A LOT later on as right now (start of Chapter 3), this story is utter nonsense. lol

There's a lot more info in emails and the interviews. Its like MGSV with all the meat being in the codecs and shit.

BlankCanvas23

Jan 24, 2018
So far I love it. Pure brilliance in some respects. It's unlike anything I've ever played. My sense of direction is total crap though.

ZDKilljoy

Managing Editor at BunnyGaming
Verified
Oct 3, 2018
Malaysia
That's why I scored it pretty high as apart from one mission (involving mama) I loved it end to end.

Funny enough I still have colleagues asking me to this day if I still love it after digesting it for weeks now. I still very much do.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Well, time for bed. Playing a good bit after work, still think I'm on Chapter 2. But, I finally got that bike charged up and cleaned up. Story is kinda of all over the place right now, but I'm intrigued and excited to learn more. I do wish that the Data Interviews were actually audio logs instead of just text.

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
So about the Private Lockers are they universal? Or each private locker has a dedicated storage?

5 hours in I love this game, BT territory is tense af

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really digging this so far during my first impression. I'm on chapter 2. I love the general tone and soundtrack. It's very different. I can't get over the PS4 pro can output these kinds of visuals. Simply stunning in my oled.

I'm having this feeling of dread for when the other shoe falls but I'm pleasantly surprised so far.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019

have you read the interview logs?
They explain some things

Early spoilers
only thing I'm having a tough time keeping track of is anything relating to Sam and his mom/sister? I think o dozed off when it got explained. But I have no idea why his mom was president

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine this, but everywhere.

hPztMXb.jpg

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Took me 2 hours and 2 minutes to complete an order that had a time limit of 45 minutes. What a mess, my worst delivery ever. I really don't want to get into the specifics but just know that I crashed my Trike, decided to build a bridge so it doesn't happen again, realize I don't have enough materials at the Distro Center, got my shit stolen by MULEs, tried getting it back only to die, go back to the Distro Center and warp back to Lake Knot, get enough metal to build two bridges, get back to the Distro Center South of Lake Knot and fall into a river, fucking over my trike and the metal, pick all metal back up and make it to the Distro Center on foot and build the two bridges that give me good access to the Junk Dealer with a trike, rent a trike out from an online player and get to him. What a fucking game. That was genuinely frustrating but it felt good coming up with a new way to get to the Junk Dealer and now that those two bridges are there, it'll help other players but also myself if I ever need to make more deliveries to this guy.

Here's some parts of the journey in pictures:

qvpSXVE.png

cgxT2de.png

PlIxITx.png

HhUuKrT.png

6oJk6Mi.png

jYNdLl1.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Well, it finally happened:

I watch maybe one Youtube review and now I'm getting thumbnails of recommended videos with ending content (they even have the word ending in the title).

It's laughable. What do I do, remove my watch history?

I haven't bought the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Someone was asking about Total Playtime. It's with tonnes of other stats in the Bridge Links menu of the Active Terminal in your Private Room. Just Click on yourself in the list of players to see loads of stats.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
have you read the interview logs?
They explain some things

Early spoilers
only thing I'm having a tough time keeping track of is anything relating to Sam and his mom/sister? I think o dozed off when it got explained. But I have no idea why his mom was president
That's the part that's mostly confusing me. It's clear there's a lot of fuckery going on with that aspect .

CatharticDab

Aug 25, 2019
I'm literally obsessed with building roads. I've basically put the story on hold and have built 3 individual sections and contributed quite a bit to 2 more. I love this game!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I can't overstate how satisfying it is to get the popup message that someone has just used the equipment you left behind.

Oct 27, 2017
Budapest
Got to Episode 2. The presentation is top notch, the story is weird - the existence and handling of BB's is making me really uncomfortable - and I need to see more mechanics in order to say anything definite about the gameplay.

Not head over heels for the game yet but it does have some really cool things and it is very refreshing to play something this different with such a huge budget.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god I fucking LOVE this so far. I'm in the middle of chapter 2. I need to stop playing because I'm too high and I'm starting to kinda get confused about what's been happening hahaha. If someone could post a tldr for chapter 2 that would absolutely be appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I wasn't expecting it to be fun after hearing the complaints. I dislike survival games and repairing gear and inventory management type games so I expected the worst but it's fun. I think item degradation gets overblown too. It's not much of an issue at all and I like how it works. I suppose it's best to try the game and see if it clicks.

Even the item degradation here is in service of the larger theme of the game, since you can share your old equipment with others. I get pretty attached to all the social elements of the game; laying down structures in key locations, picking up rogue packages and finishing their deliveries, liking other peoples work and all of that is just super addicting to me and it's great when it all pays off and the game is practically spamming you with likes from others. The idea to have the game have no negative outlet is one of the best high-level concepts here. When you're focused on actually playing the game and a lot of other peoples' work saves your bacon, you really do feel a weird closeness with random people playing the game. It may make the game easier, but thanks to the flexibility with which everyone has in how they want to tackle the game, players can really have exactly the kind of experience they want to have with this one.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well I mean in regards to fleshing out the world. The cutscenes don't really explain too much besides the basics at least so far in part 3.
I'm in part 3 and I feel pretty up to speed without reading many of the data texts... I think the story is pretty straight forward so far and the world building is making sense as it grows.

Jun 23, 2019
Not going to spoil anything, but the quality of the performances is amazing. I think it's the only game aside from The Last of Us and RDR2 where I've been this impressed. This game really is more emotional and genuinely affecting than any of Kojima's past works.

How did you feel about
carrying your mother to the incinerator? For some odd reason, that almost made me cry and her dying didn't affect me at all.

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
This game is crazy. Honestly haven't decided if I like it yet. When those upside down rainbows appear and the timefall is coming down... I actually get freaked out. I'm really surprised this got as much money in the production of it as it did. The concept is something I would expect to see out of an Indie game, gameplay wise I mean.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Question regarding BTs, I'll tag it but it's not a spoiler just a gameplay question.

What exactly the fuck are you supposed to avoid? Are you not allowed to touch their strands or is it about touching the floating body or is it purely proximity to the body?

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Question regarding BTs, I'll tag it but it's not a spoiler just a gameplay question.

What exactly the fuck are you supposed to avoid? Are you not allowed to touch their strands or is it about touching the floating body or is it purely proximity to the body?
Basically, those floating types are the gazers. They alert the actual main BTs (Hunters) that come to drag you away to the Catchers, the big bad BTs. The Gazers don't do anything on their own. Think of them like an alarm. Don't get close to them and don't let them sense your presence. They emit these handprints that will come looking for you. Don't let these touch you otherwise Hunters will appear.

Oct 27, 2017
I know it's silly but in episode 3 it bothered me that
That when Amelie is talking to you on the beach that her red outfit and shoes aren't even getting dirty with all the mud and sand around. Sam at least looks a little dirty. Maybe the seam makes everything FASHION?