• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roubjon

Oct 25, 2017
I rented the game yesterday to try it out for 5 hours and it's just not for me unfortunately. It's a combination of open world OCD, gameplay that doesn't feel engaging, a cast of characters who I find incredibly uninteresting, and a story that seems so slow moving. I was really excited for it too. Awesome opening and fantastic art direction though. I definitely see why it's divisive now and I'm sure it'll be something special for those who do click with it.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So i had my first BT encounter and cause i suck at stealth i almost got caught i and i can almost bet i will get caught soon enough. Is it possible to go completly around them? I'm on episode 2 so only had one encounter.

Rurmelly

Jan 31, 2018
I just wanted to express how much I've been blown away by this game. As someone who loves trekking and rambling, I think Death Stranding has captured the feeling of overcoming challenges really well. The game is all about A to B but its the route between where the real fun is. There was a hike just before the end of chapter 2 that was just perfect. The feeling of pulling yourself up, holding on to your gear, trying not to slip in harsh conditions and then finally... getting to the peak and seeing your goal, I was stunned. Then, it got even better when the music kicked in. Just perfect.

Over the past year I've had to cut down on how much trekking I can do, and this game has given me something to draw on to relive that feeling of big challenges. I think this may well become my favourite game all year, and I'm so thankful it exists.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So i had my first BT encounter and cause i suck at stealth i almost got caught i and i can almost bet i will get caught soon enough. Is it possible to go completly around them? I'm on episode 2 so only had one encounter.
You're encouraged to avoid BTs. If they're swarming an area just go around it and find a new path.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
The community makes the game, the online part is very good.

I hope more games do it it in the future.
I haven't looked much into the game lately to avoid knowing all the details, but my worry is that they miss the mark on the balance of that, and the environment could be too cluthered with the online stuff, taking away from the feeling of loneliness and making stuff too easy with the objects and builds the other people leave for you. Any non-spoilery comment on that?

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
So happy to have my BB 🙏🙌
Time to load up and continue this delivery 👍

giphy.gif

20191109_131021-01h7ke3.jpeg

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I haven't looked much into the game lately to avoid knowing all the details, but my worry is that they miss the mark on the balance of that, and the environment could be too cluthered with the online stuff, taking away from the feeling of loneliness and making stuff too easy with the objects and builds the other people leave for you. Any non-spoilery comment on that?
you don't see online stuff until you do something specific in an area

online stuff needs to be maintained, there's a mechanic that causes it to go away eventually

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
25 hours in, the most valuable tool so far IMO is the PCC Level 2. Just build a huge ass zipline network assuming you have enough Chiral Bandwidth.

Jan 20, 2019

There is a limited yes

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
dammit

I need to get some sleep, but all I can think about is a specific place where i wanna build a bridge

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
This game rocks! I think I will be able to spend over 20h on side content just in chapter 3.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This game is so fucking huge man, especially once you start messing around in the mountainous region. I keep saying to myself "yup, game doesn't get huger than this" but then I discover a whole new fuckin' area. Getting roads up here is gonna be painful 😭

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
does the pacing / coolness keep up ? I'm in chapter 2 and I hope it does.

I find everything so remarkable. Such a breath of fresh air. As a 34 year old tired father nothing is better than this. I dont need split second reaction times or need to keep up with constant chaos in most games today.

I love the everything so far from atmosphere, music, characters and exploration.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
Its got an 85 on opencritic for a reason. Sure a small number of outlets outright hated the game but they're an outlier no matter how much Era posters who never planned on touching the game post cherry picked twitter posts all over DS threads.

I think in the next few weeks when things settle down there will be some people who hated the game but it will still be mostly positive. A solid 80%.

For me personally, nearing the end of chapter 3, its not as good as MGSV but it does do some things better and it really is such a unique and strange game.

Yeah. I'm reserving judgement till i play through the entire thing. I really can't decribe how I feel about it yet...haha. I'm defintely enjoying my time with it. Also, the controls are really responsive for 30fps.

What I keep thinking about though is just how astonishingly out-there and unique the game actually is, especially being in the AAA market. There just isn't anything like it. A pretty rare thing to see these days.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The tone and enthusiasm in this thread is a stark contrast to the over the top rhetoric in the review thread.

The review thread is full of users (who have zero intention of playing the game) incensed with seeing this game fail on Metacritic--and will spend countless posts trying to convince others the game is bad.

I get that reviews themselves are a scholastic and entertaining discussion - but I get uncomfortable when there are accusations of media bias and veiled attempts to band around disingenuous dialogue.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Without being too spoilery, when do you unlock the customization for your backpack? Like adding pouches and stuff.

DrBo42

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oof. Was just reminded how some rivers are super deep. Lost my bike crossing it and learned about my auto flotation device lol.
Without being too spoilery, when do you unlock the customization for your backpack? Like adding pouches and stuff.
I'm in chapter 3 and still waiting for it.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet; apologies if I missed it, but what is blowing me away so far is the camera work. I am a big fan of directors with a good sense of placement and scene setting (think Kubrick and Park Chan Wook, and Paul Thomas Anderson to a lesser degree) and the stuff Kojima has done so far (I'm on chapter 2) is such a step up from anything else done in games that I know of--obviously God of War was impressive but the work here is gorgeous. I really enjoy the shifting angles and movement even during gameplay. It is still u undeniably Kojima but much more confident and mature than than MGS series.
I hope this is as influential with designers as I think it should be-not every game would benefit from it but many would.

mrglcs

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I just got to Port Knot City and met

Higgs for the first time. Now I gotta do the mandatory BT fight and I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried chugging my EX grenades on it, tried using the few hematic grenades on it and they barely do any damage at all. This sucks, what am I doing wrong?

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
Oof. Was just reminded how some rivers are super deep. Lost my bike crossing it and learned about my auto flotation device lol.

I'm in chapter 3 and still waiting for it.
gotta scan those rivers for red

I'm terrified of rivers, i don't want all my cargo running away from me

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm normally a critical path guy but the "emergent" stuff in this game is awesome. I tried to avoid the timefall by going over the mountains and ended up on a hellish hour-long detour where I lost most of my cargo, my health/stamina were shit and B.B. was out of commission.

Genuinely felt so relieved when I got back to base. This game really makes the journey feel visceral af.

Higgs for the first time. Now I gotta do the mandatory BT fight and I have no idea what I'm doing. I tried chugging my EX grenades on it, tried using the few hematic grenades on it and they barely do any damage at all. This sucks, what am I doing wrong?

Throw more hematic 'nades close to it. I think about 10-15 of them will kill it. Scan the environment for more nades, also random creatures will throw more at you periodically if you're struggling

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to see the terrain scanner as little as possible and judge rivers by eye.

Anyone else limiting their use of the scanner?

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wouldn't call the game bad but I find it incredibly boring after 7-8 hours. The "gameplay" is just holding forward with L2 + R2, sometimes with crouch. I'm surprised at just how many cutscenes there are but I don't mind that so far as those are the only interesting thing so far.

Really don't understand the new/unique/fresh stuff, I feel like this is a walking sim we've all seen and played before with the main difference being AAA graphics and cutscenes.

Hopefully the reviews are correct and the first 10 hours are the worst part.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here

you need to wait a bit before you can hit it again with hematic, iirc

also, the buildings will come back, so don't worry about rushing it, you can take your time

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
The tone and enthusiasm in this thread is a stark contrast to the over the top rhetoric in the review thread.

The review thread is full of users (who have zero intention of playing the game) incensed with seeing this game fail on Metacritic--and will spend countless posts trying to convince others the game is bad.

I get that reviews themselves are a scholastic and entertaining discussion - but I get uncomfortable when there are accusations of media bias and veiled attempts to band around disingenuous dialogue.

same in the Jimpressions thread. people taking Sterlings opinion and continue blasting the game "yeah this shit is not fun". people forget that to have an opinion you have to PLAY a game, not watching videos, reading reviews and listening to other people. besides that, not every game is for shits and giggles, this "fun" thing is worn out by this point. was Dark Souls "fun" when getting your head bashed in at a time no one knew the mechanics? no, but it was a great experience nonetheless

i am all for hard games, for challenge, for gameplay and these are all things where DS isn´t strong but i really enjoy this ride simply because it comes together in a special way and it really connects to me on many different levels.

for me, this is the best "cinematic style" game this generation and i normally can´t stand cinematic games.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

Lot of people are liking the game because he is a unique experience that focus on the journey. The challenges lies in the exploration itself and thus the real gameplay is the travel itself. You can't find anything similar on the market unless you go back to really old games that did something similar ( to a lesser extent). In a makret were every ow games try to always go bigger and put as much (useless) quests as possible DS is a a breath of fresh air.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
This game just like FFXIII only gets """""""""fun""""""""" when you're 15-20 hours into the experience

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm only on Episode 2 at the moment but can someone tell me if I'll eventually have the means to take out or disrupt MULE Camp Sensor Poles at some point?

Dec 6, 2017
US
Man I was super skeptical and
10 hours in and why is this game so addictive? Had to force myself to stop playing.

I thought there was a good 50%+ chance of me outright hating this game and almost held off even RENTING it last night. I ended up literally playing over six, nearly seven, hours in one stretch and still had to force myself to put the controller down and stop the 'oh just one more lost cargo delivery!!' excuses at 3AM.

This NEVER EVER happens.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call the game bad but I find it incredibly boring after 7-8 hours. The "gameplay" is just holding forward with L2 + R2, sometimes with crouch. I'm surprised at just how many cutscenes there are but I don't mind that so far as those are the only interesting thing so far.

Really don't understand the new/unique/fresh stuff, I feel like this is a walking sim we've all seen and played before with the main difference being AAA graphics and cutscenes.

Hopefully the reviews are correct and the first 10 hours are the worst part.
What "walking sims" are anything like this?