• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

homez99

Oct 25, 2017
So on Chapter 8
How did you guys manage to pass the Mule camp?
Did you avoid all the enemies?Did you use the bola gun?
Me personally I went as far to the right from the camp as I could and avoided pretty much all of them haha :P.
It was definitely the most difficult delivery of the game so far.It felt great when I finally managed to reach the tar crater.

I just immaturely drove straight through the camp at full speed on the trike. I hit a few rocks but the motivation of the bullets flying had me dodging/diving like a pro. Would recommend that approach if you want some adrenaline and have a few blood bags ready.

DrBillRiverman

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
England
The challenge is in planning the most efficient route, which can be through so tricky terrain, and doing it as quickly as possible.

If you're just holding down l2r2 and stroling through the easiest paths, it will be much less of a challenge.

Also while I don't find this necessarily hard, it is interesting. I just got a fully loaded truck up to the weather station using some bridges and ladders, that was fun.

Sure, and I appreciate that. I'm an avid Kojima fan so I'm well aware that his games are loaded with systems to be taken advantage of.

However the problem with all his games are that they don't do enough to insentivise use of all those systems.

My big disappointment came when I rode my trike right in the middle of a MULE camp. I wondered if I could just power through at speed, and to my delight, I found that they will disable your vehicle.
I was ready for a real challenge because I had had no weapons are was stuck defenseless surrounded by half a dozen or more enemies.

Then I knocked them all out in less than a minute.

Very disappointing. When I do something dumb on the high difficulty setting, I should be punished, but the game lacks teeth and that sucks.

Feb 10, 2018
So on Chapter 8
How did you guys manage to pass the Mule camp?
Did you avoid all the enemies?Did you use the bola gun?
Me personally I went as far to the right from the camp as I could and avoided pretty much all of them haha :P.
It was definitely the most difficult delivery of the game so far.It felt great when I finally managed to reach the tar crater.

I'm exactly at the same point ! I just ran through their camp as fast as I could aha, crossed a river and they couldn't reach me ! This was a cool delivery, I wish there were more long deliveries like this one. It's the first time since chapter 2 since I felt all alone in a huge world

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Sure, and I appreciate that. I'm an avid Kojima fan so I'm well aware that his games are loaded with systems to be taken advantage of.

However the problem with all his games are that they don't do enough to insentivise use of all those systems.

My big disappointment came when I rode my trike right in the middle of a MULE camp. I wondered if I could just power through at speed, and to my delight, I found that they will disable your vehicle.
I was ready for a real challenge because I had had no weapons are was stuck defenseless surrounded by half a dozen or more enemies.

Very disappointing. When I do something dumb on the high difficulty setting, I should be punished, but the game lacks teeth and that sucks.
Yeah unfortunately the game is on the cakewalk side of the spectrum even on hard.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

The entire point if the game is speed and efficiency, while there migh tbe a direct lack of teeth in a traditional sense, all the obstacles are there to slow you down and if they manage to do that they have "won".

The incentive is to plan and build in clever ways to avoid being slowed down and create fast, efficient routes. There doesn't need to be traditional "teeth" here.

That is the challenge, and avoiding tackling it will make the game much more dull.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Went in blind and haven't checked reviews yet. I'm also not gonna read this thread for a while. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying myself in this game. I'm about 22 hours in, and I've been mostly making roads. 10 so far, hopefully have a full road from timefall farm to lake knot soon. I started on the roads pretty early, and pretty quickly amassed 200,000 player likes from them.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sadly this came out at a time where I have no internet connection at home, and I was too desperate to play it to wait until that was fixed. Though with that said I've still managed to really enjoy it. I'm aware that I'm missing out on a significant portion of the experience, and I get the feeling that the lack of any player-built structures in my world has made it quite a bit harder than it's meant to be, but I guess as reassurance if nothing else; yes, the game is still very much enjoyable without it. Not sure how many hours I've put into it, but I'm on chapter 5.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Went in blind and haven't checked reviews yet. I'm also not gonna read this thread for a while. Just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying myself in this game. I'm about 22 hours in, and I've been mostly making roads. 10 so far, hopefully have a full road from timefall farm to lake knot soon. I started on the roads pretty early, and pretty quickly amassed 200,000 player likes from them.
Wait, roads go to timefall farm?

May 18, 2018
Sadly this came out at a time where I have no internet connection at home, and I was too desperate to play it to wait until that was fixed. Though with that said I've still managed to really enjoy it. I'm aware that I'm missing out on a significant portion of the experience, and I get the feeling that the lack of any player-built structures in my world has made it quite a bit harder than it's meant to be, but I guess as reassurance if nothing else; yes, the game is still very much enjoyable without it. Not sure how many hours I've put into it, but I'm on chapter 5.

Interesting. So you've played Offline?

I've tried to go offline but all structures off others are still there. ?

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017

I've tried to understand this aspect, and it feels like the structures that you are close to at some point that are loaded into your world, stay in your world forever. So if someone's built a postbox you use, that'll always be there. See the same thing with generators etc.

I was hoping that if you played only offline, that NPCs would help out quite a bit. I just got down to the second (south) distro center from the second central, and the road was very literally 70% paved for me.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017
The entire point if the game is speed and efficiency, while there migh tbe a direct lack of teeth in a traditional sense, all the obstacles are there to slow you down and if they manage to do that they have "won".

The incentive is to plan and build in clever ways to avoid being allowed down and create fast, efficient routes. There doesn't need to be traditional "teeth" here.

That is the challenge, and avoiding tackling it will make the game much more dull.
Then if being slowed down is pretty much the only drawback, it should be incredibly easy to understand how for some of us that's nowhere near punishing enough for it to be engaging, right?

Like, you can go overencumbered with cargo, without stamina, and still climb, still not fall, still cross rivers and BT sections due to the game giving you momentaneous stamina so that you can bypass those elements, still barely any risk of damaging your cargo. Theres' zero challenge, zero risk involved

The game is toothless, and for a game completely focused on traversal, the fact that it's completely dependant on me caring on being a few minutes faster isn't going to make the experience better. There's plenty of options in terms of mechanics, but no mechanical depth whatsoever.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

Yep played offline all the way, I've never connected the game once. I've had a tiny handful of structures that the game has pre-placed there for me, with pretend names and likes attached to them; but that was mostly at the very start, I've had almost nothing since.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Whats the difference between the Reverse Trike and the long range version? Dont want to waste the mats to find out and I'm not seeing anything in game or by googleing.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Whats the difference between the Reverse Trike and the long range version? Dont want to waste the mats to find out and I'm not seeing anything in game or by googleing.
Goes way, way farther for much longer than the standard one, but has no cargo capacity. Though as long as you can fit everything on your back that doesn't really matter so much, just pray you don't ever run out of battery :P

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Then if being slowed down is pretty much the only drawback, it should be incredibly easy to understand how for some of us that's nowhere near punishing enough for it to be engaging, right?

Like, you can go overencumbered with cargo, without stamina, and still climb, still not fall, still cross rivers and BT sections due to the game giving you momentaneous stamina so that you can bypass those elements, still barely any risk of damaging your cargo. Theres' zero challenge, zero risk involved

The game is toothless, and for a game completely focused on traversal, the fact that it's completely dependant on me caring on being a few minutes faster isn't going to make the experience better. There's plenty of options in terms of mechanics, but no mechanical depth whatsoever.
I understand preference, but I don't understand refusing to engage in the systems to try to achieve speed and efficiency if you're finding plodding along boring.

This is more creative problem solving than teeth baring challenge. It's fine if you don't enjoy that, but saying "all you need to do is hold l2r2 and plod along" is just refusing to engage with the game in a creative way and will not be very fun.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017

There's definitely a lot of implied dangers and self-assumed challenges in this game. Still new to BT encounters, I managed to damage a story delivery. Had no bearing. Also, BT encounters feel almost inconsequential. It's a tedium, but even if you're not geared for a battle, the game spawns supplies for you, because there's literally no other way out.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep played offline all the way, I've never connected the game once. I've had a tiny handful of structures that the game has pre-placed there for me, with pretend names and likes attached to them; but that was mostly at the very start, I've had almost nothing since.
If you could take your game to a place with a connection, maybe even have a friend sign into your account from their location, it might populate your instance with a bunch of things so you can get a look at how it works.

You could always reload an wallet save to undo it, too.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
I understand preference, but I don't understand refusing to engage in the systems to try to achieve speed and efficiency if you're finding plodding along boring.

This is more creative problem solving than teeth baring challenge. It's fine if you don't enjoy that, but saying "all you need to do is hold l2r2 and plod along" is just refusing to engage with the game in a creative way and will not be very fun.

I absolutely agree. I do orienteering IRL, and I absolutely love plotting out my routes. Gauging the terrain and making smart routes means I haven't had to put down a single ladder or rope so far. I've even started challenging myself in finding harder routes out of a sheer wish for other obstacles. It's a very rewarding goal for me, but I could see how it's not for everyone, and even how not everyone is geared to think about terrain in that manner.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Goes way, way farther for much longer than the standard one, but has no cargo capacity. Though as long as you can fit everything on your back that doesn't really matter so much, just pray you don't ever run out of battery :P

That is essential for me thanks, I'm a major pack mule and I am trying to rebuild the highway. πŸ€” Had no real issue with battery life of the OG trike so I may just build that again. Very big help for me thanks, I'm gonna edit some likes in for you on mobile for your speedy information delivery.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I will say though, this game could definitely use an actual survival mode with more dire consequence. I would love to replay with that.

I absolutely agree. I do orienteering IRL, and I absolutely love plotting out my routes. Gauging the terrain and making smart routes means I haven't had to put down a single ladder or rope so far. I've even started challenging myself in finding harder routes out of a sheer wish for other obstacles. It's a very rewarding goal for me, but I could see how it's not for everyone, and even how not everyone is geared to think about terrain in that manner.
Yeh I get the preference, just not the stubbornness to at least engage with it. One of the posters above said they had never even placed a ladder or a rope...

astro

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely a lot of implied dangers and self-assumed challenges in this game. Still new to BT encounters, I managed to damage a story delivery. Had no bearing. Also, BT encounters feel almost inconsequential. It's a tedium, but even if you're not geared for a battle, the game spawns supplies for you, because there's literally no other way out.
You can run from all non scripted boss battles.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Today wasn't a good day. I fell off a cliff running from MULES and earlier I got fucked by a BT boss. I ended up delivering my first severely damaged cargo :( big sad.

Better luck tomorrow.

Also, did they remove the monster?

I just have Time Porter drink now.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Seeing random porters out and about is a great small touch. Drop some cargo near them and they pick it up and give likes!

The combat was shitting me early on but after getting some gadgets through progression it becomes quite clever and deep.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It says so in the description. The long range has extra batteries, so it reaches further, but can carry less cargo.

So I literally just got the ability to make them from raiding the mule camp so I had the Mule jeep on the loading dock so it would not let me get to the fabrication screen to see the description thought it was odd to not see one. Figured I would ask while I was having breakfast.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
I got level 3 boots from a share locker, which I assume is super early for someone in episode 3. I also just got some chiral boots from the junk dealer. Are these better than the level 3s?

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017
That is essential for me thanks, I'm a major pack mule and I am trying to rebuild the highway. πŸ€” Had no real issue with battery life of the OG trike so I may just build that again. Very big help for me thanks, I'm gonna edit some likes in for you on mobile for your speedy information delivery.
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Rebuilding the highway is a great cause. Just wish I knew how many resources I needed before I headed out. πŸ€” Remember that on the highway, your trike won't need battery, since it runs off the power grid. That's why I use the normal trike at the moment. While the normal legal definition of motorcycle is a two-wheeled vehicle, in the USA a motorcycle may also be three-wheeled. This classification does not depend on whether the operator is fully enclosed by a "cage" or exposed to the elements. Many three-wheelers which exist in the form of motorcycle-based machines are often called trikes and often have the front single wheel and mechanics similar to that of a motorcycle and the rear axle similar to that of a car. Often such vehicles are owner-constructed using a portion of a rear-engine, rear-drive Volkswagen Beetle in combination with a motorcycle front end. Other trikes include ATVs that are specially constructed for off-road use. Early automotive pioneer Karl Benz developed a number of three-wheeled models. One of these, the Benz Patent Motorwagen, is regarded as the first purpose-built automobile. It was made in 1885. In 1896, John Henry Knight showed a tri-car at The Great Exhibition. In 1897, Edward Butler (inventor) made the Butler Petrol Cycle, another three-wheeled car. Keep up the good work!
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

(edit thanks to Flipyap)

Last edited:

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you could take your game to a place with a connection, maybe even have a friend sign into your account from their location, it might populate your instance with a bunch of things so you can get a look at how it works.

You could always reload an wallet save to undo it, too.
I could actually just hotspot my phone and connect the PS4 that way, but I'm conscious of data usage and I figured it was better to just wait for a constant connection so my world gets re-populated more often; I'm hoping it'll get fixed in the next couple of days, and tbh I've actually enjoyed the emptiness somewhat :P
because there's literally no other way out.
I don't think I've actually fought and defeated a single BT. Every time I've gotten caught and dragged under, it's just been a case of reaching high ground or getting a certain distance away from the monster before the encounter just... 'ends', and all of the BTs in that area vanish altogether. Usually my cargo and vehicles are intact afterwards too so it's never a particularly big deal.

Oct 25, 2017
Underground
Nice, thanks! I'll wear the level 3s now then and save the others for later in the game.

Rebuilding the highway is a great cause. Just wish I knew how many resources I needed before I headed out. πŸ€” Remember that on the highway, your trike won't need battery, since it runs off the power grid. That's why I use the normal trike at the moment. Keep up the good work!
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
When I open the map and put the cursor over a paver, it shows what resources are needed.

Open Wound

Nov 7, 2017

But with what systems can I engage with? Stamina is illusory, it only prevents you from sprinting if depleted. Weight is meaningless, because even supassing by one Kg my weight limit (the most I've tried, as I was a fool and thought weight meant something), I still can do everything I can do without it, just with a bit more tumbling and slower speed while depleting more stamina (which again, it's meaningless). Using tools is a simple matter of preference as you can bypass anything by pressing forward on foot and gripping your cargo.

If a turn based battle system allows me to beat any enemy without risk of getting killed by simply pressing attack, I won't care how many spells, or techniques, or builds there are in the game, I will just use attack. It's not on me on making the mechanics mean anything, it's on the designers. If they put a stamina metter in a game, then I want to be beholden to that stamina meter, and not just be a small detriment on me on getter a better score.

If getting a better time is engagement enough for most people from a gameplay perspective, that's fine, but I just don't see the appeal to a game focused entirely on traversal and then making said traversal brainless.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it funny that the bike has a weight limit, but when I put everything on my back and then sit on the bike it doesn't matter.
The game isn't super realistic, I don't find stuff like that weird. I mean, we're trecking across a huge part of America in hours...

Tbh I could actually just hotspot my phone and connect the PS4 that way, but I'm conscious of data usage and I figured it was better to just wait for a constant connection so my world gets re-populated more often; I'm hoping it'll get fixed in the next couple of days, and tbh I've actually enjoyed the emptiness somewhat :P

I don't think I've actually fought and defeated a single BT. Every time I've gotten caught and dragged under, it's just been a case of reaching high ground or getting a certain distance away from the monster before the encounter just... 'ends', and all of the BTs in that area vanish altogether. Usually my cargo and vehicles are intact afterwards too so it's never a particularly big deal.
Oh. Well you could hotspot for like 1 min a day and update. The game doesn't update in real time anyway, so you won't be far off the experience of always online.

But yeh, maybe well enjoy the solitude while you can. It might be a bit if a shock when you do choose to connect...

May 24, 2019
That chapter had to be absolute hell without that, lol. There's a 60 minute timed delivery that took me 6 minutes with that setup.
yeah, i think that chapter (whichever one it was) was my least favourite part of the game, in particular the multiple journeys to the mountaineer. i used a truck to get to the spiritualist, lol.
i didn't use the ziplines because i felt like it was hard to justify carrying around the PCCs necessary to set them up, given that you'd also need the equipment for defeating BTs and MULEs, plus your terrain-handling equipment, plus whatever cargo you might need to carry…

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But with what systems can I engage with? Stamina is illusory, it only prevents you from sprinting if depleted. Weight is meaningless, because even supassing by one Kg my weight limit (the most I've tried, as I was a fool and thought weight meant something), I still can do everything I can do without it, just with a bit more tumbling and slower speed while depleting more stamina (which again, it's meaningless). Using tools is a simple matter of preference as you can bypass anything by pressing forward on foot and gripping your cargo.

If a turn based battle system allows me to beat any enemy without risk of getting killed by simply pressing attack, I won't care how many spells, or techniques, or builds there are in the game, I will just use attack. It's not on me on making the mechanics mean anything, it's on the designers. If they put a stamina metter in a game, then I want to be beholden to that stamina meter, and not just be a small detriment on me on getter a better score.

If getting a better time is engagement enough for most people from a gameplay perspective, that's fine, but I just don't see the appeal to a game focused entirely on traversal and then making said traversal brainless.
The creative systems that solve the problem of "which route is fastest here" so you can set up a large network of interconnecting solutions which makes deliveries swift and efficient?

Weight is not meaningless, it slows you down. You also absolutely cannot just hold l2r2 and sprint over certain tricky terrain with a huge load on your back, you will stumble if you try. Which is why dropping a ladder across rocks etc... is a huge part of the gameplay that you're ignoring for no good reason.

That is the game. If you ignore it and just plod along because you can, it will not be fun. You are likely moving at half the speed the rest of us are, which is intentionally hamstringing yourself.

The traversal is only brainless because you are making it brainless, you are ignoring the core creative challenges of building solutions to make traversal more efficient.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Concerning the really annoying rocky area in chapter 3
I wonder if the mission with the man and his girlfriend was something made earlier in development? It's so weird that all of a sudden there's cutscenes involving these two random characters. Maybe they planned to do more than that and didn't for budget reasons. As these are literally the only npcs I've seen outside of the main cast appear in traditional cutscenes.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Rebuilding the highway is a great cause. Just wish I knew how many resources I needed before I headed out. πŸ€” Remember that on the highway, your trike won't need battery, since it runs off the power grid. That's why I use the normal trike at the moment. While the normal legal definition of motorcycle is a two-wheeled vehicle, in the USA a motorcycle may also be three-wheeled. This classification does not depend on whether the operator is fully enclosed by a "cage" or exposed to the elements. Many three-wheelers which exist in the form of motorcycle-based machines are often called trikes and often have the front single wheel and mechanics similar to that of a motorcycle and the rear axle similar to that of a car. Often such vehicles are owner-constructed using a portion of a rear-engine, rear-drive Volkswagen Beetle in combination with a motorcycle front end. Other trikes include ATVs that are specially constructed for off-road use. Early automotive pioneer Karl Benz developed a number of three-wheeled models. One of these, the Benz Patent Motorwagen, is regarded as the first purpose-built automobile. It was made in 1885. In 1896, John Henry Knight showed a tri-car at The Great Exhibition. In 1897, Edward Butler (inventor) made the Butler Petrol Cycle, another three-wheeled car. Keep up the good work!
FTFY (jesus, this actually reads like a Death Stranding email)

Nov 4, 2017
So I just got up to episode 3, and I'm loving it. Something weird happened though... I put some materials into an autopaver. I soon for a message saying people liked my road, and got 16000 likes. Then about 5 mins it happened again and I got like 20,000. When I went back to base, my bridge level shot up like 60 levels, and I shot through half a dozen porter ranks.

Is something bugged, is it just weirdness due to the game being so busy being new, or is it normal?