• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would appreciate it if someone could answer a couple of my questions.

1. Is it worth playing the game now on just a base PS4 when I have a 4k TV? I don't plan on getting a pro so I would have to wait until pc or ps5 if not.

2. I know basically nothing about the game and want to keep it that way but I believe there's some sort of shared world feature where if you build a ladder it might show up in someone else's game. Does this mean it's too late for me to start playing now and if I do there will be structures all over the place that make the game super early and lead me straight to the end of the game? Thanks.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
OT title should be: GET OUT OF CH. 2
* if people are finding it a drag. Which many people don't.

Few thoughts from an earlier post:
I think people should avoid telling others to rush to Chapter 3 unless they're actually finding Chapter 2 a slog. The pacing is massively different in how you approach deliveries and you definitely lose some of the enjoyment of the more strict delivery system (in favour of fun in different things). I think Chapter 3 and the tools are abso-fuckin-lutely great but I spent 12hrs or so in Chapter 2 and really liked the challenges you have from the limited toolset. So for people enjoying that, rushing them forward means cutting that enjoyment short in favour of getting to a different type of challenge/fun.

Khoryos

Nov 5, 2019

1. Is it worth playing the game now on just a base PS4 when I have a 4k TV? I don't plan on getting a pro so I would have to wait until pc or ps5 if not.

2. I know basically nothing about the game and want to keep it that way but I believe there's some sort of shared world feature where if you build a ladder it might show up in someone else's game. Does this mean it's too late for me to start playing now and if I do there will be structures all over the place that make the game super early and lead me straight to the end of the game? Thanks.
It's pretty cleverly weighted so you only see stuff after you've already gotten to where it would take you. The details are still opaque, but that's the general experience.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Question 1 I wouldn't know since I play on pro, a friend of mine has it on base PS4 and he says it looks great!

For question 2, yeah, you can find objects built by other players, it won't be too late to start, there are conditions to get the items to show up, you won't find any end-game stuff right at the start

astro

Oct 25, 2017

How do other 1080 games look on your TV set? This game looks stunning on base consoles, and while it is 30fps it is very smooth.

No, the game has a smart system that pulls in a limited (up to 100) amount of players, and only shows a limited amount of contributions per area. You also need to unlock areas of the map first by traversing without any aid, before these contributions will show up, and it won't show more advanced builds and unlocks until you obtain them yourself.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Im at the end of chapter 3. Why should i continue to finish roads when it appear the ones i finished doesnt show im the owner anymore and doesnt give me likes. Was at 2k the first day and now every day is like 500 likes

...........you do everything only for likes? I guess this is why I hate the like system, people are now obsessed with it.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
So, if you're in the habit of running over MULEs and clearing their camps...be on the lookout for regular porters. They aren't that hard to tell apart (MULE cargo is orange instead of blue), but the first couple times I saw them I panicked a bit when their odradek flashed yellow at me. And I might have run them over.

But, yeah, don't do that. I lost 10k fucking likes for running one over, and that time it wasn't even intentional - one of them stepped out from behind the wall next to the terminal in a distribution center right into my truck. I just reloaded the save because that was almost a quarter of my total likes.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

I'm playing on a base ps4 on a 4K tv and it looks absolutely amazing. And plays very well, I'm 13h in and didn't have any noticeable technical hiccups. I'd say go for it if you want to play it.
Regarding the structures and online components, I think the system handles this well. You can only see stuff after you actually unlock them, there is always some stuff built by NPCs. Regarding how the game will feel months from now there's no way of knowing it, but I bet the system is ready for that

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

I think people should avoid telling others to rush to Chapter 3 unless they're actually finding Chapter 2 a slog. The pacing is massively different in how you approach deliveries and you definitely lose some of the enjoyment of the more strict delivery system (in favour of fun in different things). I think Chapter 3 and the tools are abso-fuckin-lutely great but I spent 12hrs or so in Chapter 2 and really liked the challenges you have from the limited toolset. So for people enjoying that, rushing them forward means cutting that enjoyment short in favour of getting to a different type of challenge/fun.
Yeah, I actually think I liked chapter 2 just as much, or more than chapter 3.

Really taking my time with this game since I'm loving it. 25 hours in, still on chapter 3.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Woah, what does version 1.05 do? Been busy lately and don't have time for game.
The last one was a bunch of fixes that didn't go into specific detail, I can't seem to find patch notes for this one but I'm assuming it's more of the same.

Performance, tuning, etc... sadly they don't detail what these things are.

Oct 25, 2017
So, if you're in the habit of running over MULEs and clearing their camps...be on the lookout for regular porters. They aren't that hard to tell apart (MULE cargo is orange instead of blue), but the first couple times I saw them I panicked a bit when their odradek flashed yellow at me. And I might have run them over.

But, yeah, don't do that. I lost 10k fucking likes for running one over, and that time it wasn't even intentional - one of them stepped out from behind the wall next to the terminal in a distribution center right into my truck. I just reloaded the save because that was almost a quarter of my total likes.
Yeah, there was one moment for me when they were chilling outside of a distro center and I did my best to avoid them, but they still almost walked right in front of my truck like a bunch of bumbling idiots. Even did like a comedy pratfall move as they dove out of the way. Made me nervous. I'm glad I didn't hit them, seeing as how you lost likes for it. I would've been furious.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the game in a little over 44 hours.

FrL09UM.png

wHRzpxw.png

Overall enjoyed the route optimization, exploration, and online social elements. There were some tedious scripted encounters in the back third of the game.

Dec 6, 2017
US

I'm actually with you. I don't get the whole "rush to more tools" thing I've seen so much in here. I mean I know it's a personal preference ultimately but I took my sweet ass time and really enjoyed the slow build-up of being super limited and enjoying every climbing anchor etc. to more options.

Woah, what does version 1.05 do? Been busy lately and don't have time for game.

Man, what if it eliminated BT intro cutscenes...I'd shit myself in delight, scaring off real-life BTs in the process.

NickMitch

Nov 1, 2017
Im so glad i learned my lesson with RDR 2. Mainline the game and do side stuff later if i care.

Beat the game last night at the timer at 35hrs played. Played on normal.

Went from 8/10 after 15hrs, to 9/10 after 28hrs.

BB soothed 18 times
Urinated 5 times
Switched shoes 25 times
Did not have any cargo destroyed during mission by timefall
Did not cause any voidouts

Edit: my takeaway: people afraid of "chores" should try Don't Starve to get a sense of what chores mean....

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Episode 6 question. Where should I go for the next order after delivering the camera to the Photographer?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

The rush to chapter 3 thing really bothers me too. I don't know how that spread like wild fire because 2 of my friends heard the same thing and don't read era. I told them to take their time and play at their own pace.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Looks to me like Troy Baker really enjoyed his role in this game

yeah but Higgs is still like a comic book villain to me...could be directly out of a superhero movie

The rush to chapter 3 thing really bothers me too. I don't know how that spread like wild fire because 2 of my friends heard the same thing and don't read era. I told them to take their time and play at their own pace.

this. people should take their time and go to the contacts on the map, i discovered the musician from the first area 2/3 into the game really regretted that.

besides that, the game can easily last weeks or months like BOTW if someone wishes to...

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK

1. I'm playing this through a launch PS4 on a 4K OLED. It looks absolutely stunning. Am sure it will look great on most screens but if your set can do HDR then all the better.
2. Nah, I'm not 100% on how the online / shared world stuff actually works as I've not experienced it myself, but from what I gather it's not literally a shared world where all players contribute stuff. That would probably get a bit ridiculous haha. Think there's probably a limit to how much player-built stuff shows up in certain areas, how many of a particular type, etc etc. So I think you'll be fine regardless of when you jump in.

No Idea

Mar 18, 2019
Just made it to Chapter 3, gonna use
Fragile
to go back and finish some orders. Also, I didn't know you could place that beaten up Trike in the garage and repair it! Looks good as new now.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Clocked 30 hours and still in chap 2. PLZ HELP.

Standard deliveries are addicting and playing as a low fi delivery guy is amazing.

Haha never been so engrossed in a game like this for years. Think last one was gta5 like 6 years ago.

Oh and for those who want the own music player, just do what I did and use the in built spotify function on the ps4 and there are plenty of low roar inspired playlists and albums to listen to while you deliver.

Oct 25, 2017
Heather Alexandra at Kotaku did a thing on it, likening it to the Hinterlands in Dragon Age: Inquisition, so they may have heard it there. She did also argue to take your time with the game, and not rush; but from her experience, as someone who spent over 100 hours with the game before review, she felt chapter 3 was the best place to start slowing down your pace.

I was personally glad I moved quickly through that part of the game, not because it was a drag but because I would've been super frustrated to find out that so many interesting things were waiting for me in Chapter 3. And I knew I could come back whenever I wanted. And I have.

I think for people struggling to see the appeal of the game, or who generally don't have a lot of time to game, moving past it is ideal. Get to the meat of the game. Sure, if you want to luxuriate in Death Stranding, by all means stick around. But moving through it has not in any way made me dislike the game.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I'm doing exactly this. It's perfectly fine. Digital Foundry say the resolution is the only difference between Pro and base models; all the assets and effects are identical between the two.

Considering the base PS4 supports HDR, I honestly haven't found a compelling reason to upgrade in the last year, and it's far too late to do it now.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm in chapter 3,i unlocked a lot of stuff so the deliveries are more faster (motorcy, exo, highway, etc)

I'm enjoying so far, in a stealth mission I stole a truck and began to do delivery for other players (with the highway is more easy)

My complaints still are the same
Trash UI
And combat/stealth are very basic

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, I actually think I liked chapter 2 just as much, or more than chapter 3.
Really taking my time with this game since I'm loving it. 25 hours in, still on chapter 3.
I'm actually with you. I don't get the whole "rush to more tools" thing I've seen so much in here. I mean I know it's a personal preference ultimately but I took my sweet ass time and really enjoyed the slow build-up of being super limited and enjoying every climbing anchor etc. to more options.
Word, glad others feel the same. Getting the exoskeleton was bittersweet as I knew it was going to open up a lot more opportunity in other areas, but also knew I was waving a goodbye to a lot of the aspects I'd loved to that point. 15 hours later I absolutely love Chapter 3 and plan to stay in it for awhile yet, but I'm 100% thankful I took my sweet time in 1 & 2 for the first 15.

Septimius

Oct 25, 2017

1) It's rather minor improvements. Nothing like RDR2 on Pro, I'd say. It's sharper and has less aliasing on Pro, but other than that, surprisingly little difference. Textures seem the same, LODs seem the same, so not really a game that requires a Pro. HDR might be perfectly fine in this game, but it feels more like an SDR converted to HDR than an actual HDR game.

2) Not at all. Other people's structures are helpful, but of course, you don't see everyone else's structure. You see some other players' structures, but it's never littered. They're helpful, but the game never presents more structures than the story kind of has unlocked, in a sense.

Gunter

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
I built a few sections of road in chapter 3 all by myself and a day later I'm getting thousands of likes from other players skyrocketing my Bridge Link lvl from 20 to 40. Feels good man.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in chapter 3,i unlocked a lot of stuff so the deliveries are more faster (motorcy, exo, highway, etc)

I'm enjoying so far, in a stealth mission I stole a truck and began to do delivery for other players (with the highway is more easy)

My complaints still are the same
Trash UI
And combat/stealth are very basic
The UI is pretty cluttered, but it does get far more managable over time when you start to realize what the important things to note are. I do think it needed a few more passes though, but it is nowhere near as cumbersome visually to me now as it was at the start.

You also get a lot more options for combat and stealth as you progress, so don't worry too much about that now!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Done with Chapter 6. This game sure is a series of ups and downs. The gameplay is good so that helps it but I really think it falls into the same pitfalls all other open world games or UbiBox type games do, of excusing and excusing itself with a bunch of arbitrary steps to progress the actual plot. I do feel there's a developing story going on but several key points in the "main plot" has basically been disjointed vignettes or "character showpieces" more than they feel like they're all contributing to the same scenario.

It doesn't mean there's no plot, it just means the plot is a lot smaller, so far, than the total amount of baggage you carry in it. I could liken it to MGS2 in how it's all like "Before you go find the president, go grab the thing in Cell 2!", but it's not that. It's just like "Yo you gotta connect to places" and when you go to them there's often another sub-step to it that involves the isolated storyline of an NPC, and overall I think it drags the pacing down and reduces the clarity for those who just want the main plot.

It's not so much that it makes it confusing as it's the fact that it tests your concentration and memory. It expects you to spend like 20 hours in the first half of the game with only like 3 hours of actual plot-heavy content, so once it restarts I find myself going "Oh yeah what was the last thing? I've been building roads and delivering packages everywhere for 5 hours."

But besides that the structure of the game is the most MGS2/3 Kojima has done since those games. MGS4 locked itself into chapters that warp you to new levels and MGS5 was just constant back and forth between mother base and seperate open world maps. The fact that DS takes you from pretty connected maps from one end to the other is exactly like going from Tselinoyarsk to Groznyj Grad or Strut A to Arsenal Gear. The fact that the plot is laid out with a clear destination from the premise is a very good thing to drive the player to finish the game and pay attention to the storytelling. A lot of open world games lose themselves completely in the disjointed nature of missions and sudden redefinitions of your primary goals. This does feel like a journey and it's a good thing.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017
We're going in circles here. I don't engage with the systems because I consider them uneeded as I'm not punished for it. You say I'm punished for it by going slower than I should. I said I'm fine with my speed. that my problem is in the lack of meaningful consequences, that going slower isn't enough of a punishment when I'm not feeling that I'm going slow at all.

I don't care that I'm slower than ideal, I care that I'm not challenged, that there are not proper risk and reward mechanics that truly punish you for being reckless. Suddenly starting to build bridges and putting ladders won't change anything, because I still will think it's unneeded, regardless of me using said mechanics or not.

Honestly dude, the game isn't for you. Just move along.

efr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 19, 2019
You have said you ignore them yourself.

I have explained why, it is the same reason you do not chip away at a boss with just the basic attack in DMCV even though you could.
"I've decided to walk everywhere in GTA. The game gives me no reason to steal cars and drive anywhere."
"I've decided to not shoot anyone in Call of Duty. The game gives me no reason to shoot anyone in a war game. I just melee everyone."

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
yeah but Higgs is still like a comic book villain to me...could be directly out of a superhero movie

this. people should take their time and go to the contacts on the map, i discovered the musician from the first area 2/3 into the game really regretted that.

besides that, the game can easily last weeks or months like BOTW if someone wishes to...
Yeah he is just another "Skull Face" type villain and it's a shame. I mean, Kojima always many very one-note villains including Volgin who I liked... but I think it's that weird emphasis on someone wearing all black and the skull motif I'm just like "Boo, generic!"

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Done with Chapter 6. This game sure is a series of ups and downs. The gameplay is good so that helps it but I really think it falls into the same pitfalls all other open world games or UbiBox type games do, of excusing and excusing itself with a bunch of arbitrary steps to progress the actual plot. I do feel there's a developing story going on but several key points in the "main plot" has basically been disjointed vignettes or "character showpieces" more than they feel like they're all contributing to the same scenario.

It doesn't mean there's no plot, it just means the plot is a lot smaller, so far, than the total amount of baggage you carry in it. I could liken it to MGS2 in how it's all like "Before you go find the president, go grab the thing in Cell 2!", but it's not that. It's just like "Yo you gotta connect to places" and when you go to them there's often another sub-step to it that involves the isolated storyline of an NPC, and overall I think it drags the pacing down and reduces the clarity for those who just want the main plot.

It's not so much that it makes it confusing as it's the fact that it tests your concentration and memory. It expects you to spend like 20 hours in the first half of the game with only like 3 hours of actual plot-heavy content, so once it restarts I find myself going "Oh yeah what was the last thing? I've been building roads and delivering packages everywhere for 5 hours."

But besides that the structure of the game is the most MGS2/3 Kojima has done since those games. MGS4 locked itself into chapters that warp you to new levels and MGS5 was just constant back and forth between mother base and seperate open world maps. The fact that DS takes you from pretty connected maps from one end to the other is exactly like going from Tselinoyarsk to Groznyj Grad or Strut A to Arsenal Gear. The fact that the plot is laid out with a clear destination from the premise is a very good thing to drive the player to finish the game and pay attention to the storytelling. A lot of open world games lose themselves completely in the disjointed nature of missions and sudden redefinitions of your primary goals. This does feel like a journey and it's a good thing.
While I think much of the game's strength resides in its open nature and the fact it really commits to building the role of a porter and gets you to think a lot about the best ways to shape the environment in clever ways, I do agree that the negatives you mention are inherent to this. It's a problem they didn't solve perfectly, in that the pacing can be all over the place depending on your choice of focus, and that some of the story elements lack a little impact when broken apart so much.

Still, I'm only in e5, so I can't comment on how this all pans out yet...

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
I've been slowly progressing through Chapter 3 the past few days and I'm in love with this game. I've been feeling the need to level up the various shelters to four stars at the very least, because there are a definitely a ton of unlocks from gear to more colors for customization. It's been pretty amazing to watch the area come to life with more highway sections being built each day and other various building features which ease traversal. It makes me want to do more deliveries to rank up with shelters just to see how everything is coming together.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"I've decided to walk everywhere in GTA. The game gives me no reason to steal cars and drive anywhere."
"I've decided to not shoot anyone in Call of Duty. The game gives me no reason to shoot anyone in a war game. I just melee everyone."
Exactly, that's my point. You can limit yourself to basic mechanics in most games and call it boring, just chip away at a boss or only carry one loadout... and while this game's reward system could definitely be tighter in terms of requirements for S rank etc... the depth of options and rate of unlocks is pretty great, and pretty much all mechanics and options are useful in creating a creative and efficient network of solutions to traversal.

Crash331

Oct 28, 2017

I think it got twisted. My advice isn't so much to rush through Episode 2, but once you finish the story quests and have to go to Port Knot, don't hang around doing all of the extra things. You can come back later and it will be more fun.

Unless doing the deliveries with just ropes and ladders is your jam, then carry on.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
While I think much of the game's strength resides in its open nature and the fact it really commits to building the role of a porter and gets you to think a lot about the best ways to shape the environment in clever ways, I do agree that the negatives you mention are inherent to this. It's a problem they didn't solve perfectly, in that the pacing can be all over the place depending on your choice of focus, and that some of the story elements lack a little impact when broken apart so much.
I feel I can understand the motivation to create another open world game from a marketing standpoint. In the previous generations games fought for the player's attention with their graphics and setpieces and previously their 3D levels but now that it's possible and now that the race is going strong, game releases seem to be about convincing the player that there's enough bang for their buck, so a narrower 10-15 hour game with no multiplayer portion is a hard sell.

From a creative/artistic standpoint though I often find myself asking if this game wouldn't have an overall stronger impression if it was more quick and to the point with maybe 25-50% narrower areas. I sometimes wonder if the reason we blow everything up in scope is simply because the hardware allows it - which we always wanted to but the PS2 hardware wouldn't allow for bigger maps than an area in MGS3 for example - or if it's all just because of market-necessities and trends... staff size as well.

I really do feel this game would be better if they constrained its scale more, but even so it's not the worst biggest world I've seen it's just another "maybe too big" kind of world out of many.

The shortest way to describe my overall level of "likes" on Death Stranding based on being at Chapter 6, I would say is: I think P.T. is an overall better experience even now.

P.T. was so devoid of any industry conventions and so unique in its format and so short and precise about its content that you could only walk away from it speculating about the things they put into that demo. Death Stranding is more traditional but with new quirky Kojima-ideas and Kojima cutscenes throughout it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I think it got twisted. My advice isn't so much to rush through Episode 2, but once you finish the story quests and have to go to Port Knot, don't hang around doing all of the extra things. You can come back later and it will be more fun.

Unless doing the deliveries with just ropes and ladders is your jam, then carry on.
I actually did find myself missing the struggle a little once I'd built the entire highway and my instance was populated with so many good builds... but now I have the next area to tackle and I'm starting over again. And I can go back to those earlier areas later and see them reshaped and get to experience them again with a different feel.

Tackle it however you want though as you say, there is definitely no need to rush to e3 to "get to the good stuff" if you're already having a blast.