• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The game taking bits and pieces of other people's zipline networks is utterly frustrating. Largely because the mountain areas are such a slog and you spend so much time in them. At certain points it feels almost necessary without losing your mind to the tedium of it all.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I think open wound will agree with you, but I couldn't disagree more. This pay off is exactly what the game needs at the right times, and the satisfaction of using your routes and refining them as you go is pretty big imo.
IMO this would have worked in a 15 hour game, but as you do more and more samey quests (that by chapter 5-6 are not going to change at all) at the end what you want is to finish them faster and move on. I too made a zipline network in the mountain region to avoid walking, but when I revisited the area later in the gamer I decided to go straight line with the mountain skeleton as I was fed up with the fucking mountains and I didn't want to spend more time there.

The game is far too longer than it needs, all the coop ideas would have worked far better in a shorter game with a big interconnected area instead of 3 smaller areas.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It kind of sucks when a shittily placed fragment of someone else's zipline network is just sitting there eating bandwidth.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I have a few questions.

So to set up zip lines I basically have to put down two of them?

What are these "customization slot added" notifications when I'm looking to upgrade a structure? Do I get to choose a customization? I upgraded a tower once and I'm pretty sure it didn't let me choose anything.

Is anyone else not having much music play in their game? I'm unlocking a whole bunch but maybe like 4 max have played at all.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
After 25-ish hours I decided to go on with the plot of chapter 3.

Went to the weather station, Timefall farm and the Director next. I assume the Junker is on of the final steps in the chapter?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
IMO this would have worked in a 15 hour game, but as you do more and more samey quests (that by chapter 5-6 are not going to change at all) at the end what you want is to finish them faster and move on. I too made a zipline network in the mountain region to avoid walking, but when I revisited the area later in the gamer I decided to go straight line with the mountain skeleton as I was fed up with the fucking mountains and I didn't want to spend more time there.

The game is far too longer than it needs, all the coop ideas would have worked far better in a shorter game with a big interconnected area instead of 3 smaller areas.
I don't want that though, I think the way it's set up is incredibly satisfying and I enjoy using the routes I and others and built.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
The game taking bits and pieces of other people's zipline networks is utterly frustrating. Largely because the mountain areas are such a slog and you spend so much time in them. At certain points it feels almost necessary without losing your mind to the tedium of it all.
Well it's all about cooperation. Sometimes you'll find this zipline station up the mountain you'll need to climb, and sometimes you'll find the useless mid-station that won't save you the climb. Using your stations and the other's stations makes easier to make a network fast.

The game is a fucking slog either way, and the mountain area is far too long.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Thinking about getting a Nacon Revolution Unlimited Pro controller because my PS4 controller has been acting weird lately and the aesthetic of Nacon controllers fits Death Stranding REALLY WELL.

I mean just look at this, this is literally a Death Stranding themed controller.
Literally looks like a Bridges product.

Nacon-Revolution-Unlimited-Pro-Review-02-The-Controller.jpg

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't want that though, I think the way it's set up is incredibly satisfying and I enjoy using the routes I and others and built.
I felt this way during chapters 1-5, but as the game has clearly nothing new to offer from this point onwards, I got really bored with the main gameplay loop and optimized the deliveries to finish it asap. Took me 32 hours at a good pace, and half of the time was not funny at all, so I consider that the game is far more longer than it needs.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I felt this way during chapters 1-5, but as the game has clearly nothing new to offer from this point onwards, I got really bored with the main gameplay loop and optimized the deliveries to finish it asap. Took me 32 hours at a good pace, and half of the time was not funny at all, so I consider that the game is far more longer than it needs.
I don't think I'll agree. I'm Porter Grade 254, 53 hours in, and only in e6. I've used my routes a bunch to do premium deliveries and it's constantly enjoyable.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very much not enjoying chapter 3. Building the highway is trivial and between that and the constant availability of vehicles has greatly reduced the uniqueness of the game. While certain areas are better going walking (like the weather station), it has turned most of the side deliveries in the worst part of any other open world game. There's nothing unique or fun about doing a fetch quests on a vehicle while you don't have to worry about terrain or batteries. Not that the actual systems matter a whole lot, but at least they offer something unique to the table, right now however It's the exact same busy work than the worst parts of any other open world game (GTA, Watch Dogs, AC... take your pick)

I don't think the sense of progression is satisfactory. This type of ease of travelling should have been common only well past the mid point in the game, not in chapter 3. It feels like I'm defeating the point of the game already.
Let's see where you stand when chapter 5/6 hit....

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how even though you have all this fancy gear, the game still makes you trek new areas when you first get to them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, Chapter 5/6 spoiler, I guess I got a message from a guy at one of the outposts saying he saw something shiny in the crater where Middle Knot City used to be. Is that the giant crater at the top of the same map as Mountain Knot City? Should I actually go look?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question, Chapter 5/6 spoiler, I guess I got a message from a guy at one of the outposts saying he saw something shiny in the crater where Middle Knot City used to be. Is that the giant crater at the top of the same map as Mountain Knot City? Should I actually go look?
Pretty sure these things are microchips... but I could be wrong.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Guillermo Del Toro's character, Deadman, is so weird. No respect for our protagonist's personal bubble, not even in the goddamn shower!

He's a real bro though, I finished the game earlier this week and it's one, if not the most, likeable character in the game. He's basicaly Otacon from the MGS series.

That scene was so weird haha. The idea of talking to him in the shower to hide from Bridges potentially listening in was smart but the guy didn't need to be right up in Sam's face like that lmao. I will say that Norman nailed the reaction there, I was waiting for him to be like

giphy.gif

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
After 25-ish hours I decided to go on with the plot of chapter 3.

Went to the weather station, Timefall farm and the Director next. I assume the Junker is on of the final steps in the chapter?

Its not, theres much more stuff after that before the chapter ends. This game is an absolute slog in that regard. Thankfully you start getting more story bits at the end of chapter 3.

Aug 10, 2019
Having a [very slight mechanical spoiler] bath in a spring is so cool.

This is the biggest sense of adventure and discovery I've ever had in a game.
This game is above BotW in that regard for me. One of the most complete and interesting open worlds I've ever played and it has close to nothing in it.

Because of how hard it can be to get from A to B I feel a level of achievement from successfully delivering a package that I don't get in other games.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
On Ep7 now. Been enjoying my time with it but it's a struggle in the mountains. When vehicles are a bit useless and therefore the floating carriers are essential but that means no zip line use. To this moment I've still not used a zip line actually. Whether that's because of cargo or simply poor almost random placements of them from other players, it's not helping the slog of the mountains. Not that it's all bad. It's still feels like an accomplishment to have navigated your way through but there's been some times where it's been quite aggravating.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
On Ep7 now. Been enjoying my time with it but it's a struggle in the mountains. When vehicles are a bit useless and therefore the floating carriers are essential but that means no zip line use. To this moment I've still not used a zip line actually. Whether that's because of cargo or simply poor almost random placements of them from other players, it's not helping the slog of the mountains. Not that it's all bad. It's still feels like an accomplishment to have navigated your way through but there's been some times where it's been quite aggravating.
I think the point is to set up your own network of ziplines, I have a core set in the centre of the mountain that I'm currently building on, it takes a few hours but it's fun and really worth it imo.

This game is above BotW in that regard for me. One of the most complete and interesting open worlds I've ever played and it has close to nothing in it.

Because of how hard it can be to get from A to B I feel a level of achievement from successfully delivering a package that I don't get in other games.
Absolutely agreed.

Oct 25, 2017
I killed a mule, what I am suppose to do with the body?
will it create a crater if I leave it like that? Does those craters ever go away?

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So how do i get the cut the umblical without them noticing cheevo. Please.
Yes. I made that decision around then too and I think it was the correct decision.
I just now hit the way station. And about to make the trek.
#0 (Shower) - Makes BTs visible for longer
#1 (Pee) - BT repellent, they'll move away from wherever its thrown
#2 (Poop) - Attractor, lure BTs to wherever its thrown
Thank you so much.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Question regarding auto deliveries: it says projected condition post arrival. If it says it will be 99% does that mean it will arrive with 1% damage or 99% damage? I swear it's damaged as fuck regardless of what I do.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Doesn't sound as fun to me. Now I can raise all the pepper stations to 5 stars with ease, too.
plotting the path through the mountains and take a slightly different path each time allowed me to appreciate the thought and meticulousness that went into each inch.

I wouldn't want to have done it any other way. Now for subsequent farming and stuff sure.

Oct 25, 2017
So how do i get the cut the umblical without them noticing cheevo. Please.
Just walk nearby one and you'll see a button prompt. It's square, I believe. I think also purposefully walking towards their cord might work too. But you also have to have the right equipment. You get it in Episode 6. . So if you're not there yet, don't worry about it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
plotting the path through the mountains and take a slightly different path each time allowed me to appreciate the thought and meticulousness that went into each inch.

I wouldn't want to have done it any other way. Now for subsequent farming and stuff sure.
I got to do that too, every time I set up a new pepper station and built my ziplines. Now when I retread , which you will need to do if you want to complete premium deliveries, it takes me a fraction of the time.

Best of both worlds.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Mama's sister told me to fuck off.
Didn't want to head back the way I just came, so decided to do a trek up and over the mountains on foot. Was greeted with a very relaxing hot spring for my troubles, and went snowboarding down the slopes on my floater. The music started kicking in as I finally reached civilization, wonderful game.

Time to make my way back up the mountain, though...

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I can imagine the game getting a bit too much, if you dwelled too long at a particular chapter. I been mainlining it mostly, but always picking up stuff (side missions) if it happens to be the same place or near it.

Am at chapter 13, porter level 214... not sure time wise, will check tomorrow, but I think roughly 30 hours

Maybe I got lucky by having a good server. Everyone contributed nicely to making roads from north to south.
Beyond that, I made sure to have a good zipline route. I breezed through the mountain chapters imo. Made side-deliveries a breeze.

I love how this game makes me appreciate
fast travel and to use it wisely

Haven't even used it once... :/

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I definitely agree, I had the same issue.
Not like it tells you to keep going after you blasted him away the first 2-3 times either, so it definitely felt like "okay, clearly I'm supposed to go do something else."
I figured he was the objective when the Odradek kept indicating where he was and trying to flee just lead to running around in circles.

That was one hell of a setpiece, though.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
So well, i finished the game. What a fucking amazing ride

The part where Sam tries to wake up Lou at the end really got me

An unique experience yet flawed, then again one of the best games of the generation

I think Fragile deserved better

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
This game suffers from a bad case of excessive showcasing. Not every other action needs to have a damn mini cutscene associated with it. Reminds me of Mass Effect Andromeda's warp travel before they patched it.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
this game is too fucking good
... I inadvertently made an enormous zipline network connecting Waystation to Mountain Distro center to Mountain Knot.
I guess now I have to connect the Roboticist to the Farm, because I already have zipline infrastructure between the Farm and South Lake.

and then I can look at the map and marvel at the absurdity of all of it lol

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So. I just got to Mount Knot City.................... And i have to go all the way back down. LOL.

Unfortunately, i didn't bring a floater. So i can't snowboard. 😭

How much of chapter 5 do i have left ?
Just walk nearby one and you'll see a button prompt. It's square, I believe. I think also purposefully walking towards their cord might work too. But you also have to have the right equipment. You get it in Episode 6. . So if you're not there yet, don't worry about it.
Ahhh. Thank you so much.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just 5-starred my first person
The Musician and he gave me a "star"? What the hell is up with this?

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I got to do that too, every time I set up a new pepper station and built my ziplines. Now when I retread , which you will need to do if you want to complete premium deliveries, it takes me a fraction of the time.

Best of both worlds.
I really like doing this, been setting up routes in episode 6. Makes you climb up on peaks and stuff you wouldn't normally go for too.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I really like doing this, been setting up routes in episode 6. Makes you climb up on peaks and stuff you wouldn't normally go for too.
Yeh exactly, I explored so much trying to find optimal points. I've been trying to place them all at as close to 300m apart as possible to maximise efficiency, so I've been trying different peaks and valleys, places I wouldn't have moved through.

Really fun to plan all of this and super satisfying to make huge premium delivery strings with the power skeleton... no need for all terrain because I'm flying across the mountains!