• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Future_TraX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basel, Switzerland
Finished it after 61hrs.
Some questions:
Why is Amelie / Bridges an extinction entity / how did she become one?
Who are the 5 flying figures? The 5 extinction entity before amelie?

Thanks for clarifying.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Listen, when a persons orders pizza they expect it on time, next I expect you to pick up a second order because you're on the way and go there first.
/s obviously

Well of course haha, can't help picking up lost cargo. Still managed to get there with minutes left to spare, got ranked B though 👎

Landawng

The Fallen
Nov 9, 2017
Denver/Aurora, CO
Just picked this one up yesterday and have put about an hour or so into it. This game is fucking weird man! I like it. The controls are taking me some getting used too tho. Sometimes Sam just starts walking on his own after I stop moving the thumb stick, but I don't have controller drift or anything so I'm assuming it's some sort of gaming mechanic I need to get used too

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I thought you were joking but god damn you weren't kidding

Indeed, just finished the game and felt like standing up and clapping my hands at that.
Incredible performance and tech supporting it.

That part and stuff that followed redeemed episode 13: Kojima could really use some subtlety.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
wow this sure got weird when the game wanted me to
transport a teenage girl to her pedophile(?) boyfriend(?) in a body bag while she makes vaguely sex like noises whenever i'm about to lose my balance

Jingo

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
So, crazy bug at the end of chapter 8
i tought of getting caught up by bts to resurge the buldings and make my way to amelie, and as i so right now on youtube, you get a cinematic boss scene, but you know what i did?

I just cross the tar belt by foot till i reached Amelie,and had no problems, i never drowned, is this a bug??

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
wow this sure got weird when the game wanted me to
transport a teenage girl to her pedophile(?) boyfriend(?) in a body bag while she makes vaguely sex like noises whenever i'm about to lose my balance

I won't lie, the girl does herself no favors with how infantile she comes across (you see literally see her playing with a toy or something in a recording I'm pretty sure), and the accent probably doesn't help either. But the guy you're taking her to actually looks a lot younger outside of his hologram if that's what gave you that impression lol

That said, I (and apparently several other people) at first thought he was her father lmao, due to how he spoke about her. Either way, the whole thing is super bizarre...

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I won't lie, the girl does herself no favors with how infantile she comes across (you see literally see her playing with a toy or something in a recording I'm pretty sure), and the accent probably doesn't help either. But the guy you're taking her to actually looks a lot younger outside of his hologram if that's what gave you that impression lol

That said, I (and apparently several other people) at first thought he was her father lmao, due to how he spoke about her. Either way, the whole thing is super bizarre...
well he does look a bit younger in the cut scene but he still looks quite a bit older than her. but yeah the whole thing's just bizarre. the game treating this person like a piece of cargo makes it feel like the game is really dehumanizing her

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah after fifty hours of just exploring the world I think I will focus on the story missions. Or else it will take over 100 hours before I finish this.

Started chapter 5 and making my way.

Including story spoilers, be warned;

Well I wondered why Mama was called mama, but uh, did not expect that.

I found this scene to be weird btw. All of this talk about her BT baby and you Sam just nodding along, even confirming that he has an idea whats happening. Still, its weeeeiiiird. Kind of reminded me of the fog demon spawn in that one episode of Game of Thrones.

Currently on my way to Mountain Knot City. Just reached the Distro center.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Just finished chapter 5. That was some serious hiking hehe... I almost got caught in a tar pit in the final stretch yikes but managed to shake them off.
I heard the story will move at a brisker pace from here on out? Game is very interesting and inspiring but it also takes a lot out of you. It's equally a big communal crafting game as it is a hiking game. The terrain complexity that you face is impressive.

Jun 23, 2019
Just finished the game. That ending caught me off guard and I'm honestly at a loss for words. It's going to take me a few days to digest, but I have no issues voting this for Game of the Year. Such an amazing journey.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game (loved it). Non-spoiler thoughts:

- Kojima has always been better when he tries to convey emotion through sequencing and editing than when he does it with exposition. I think a big part of that is the language gap. DS was no exception.

- I was really surprised with how good the performances were. I was super uninterested with Norman Reedus coming into the game, but he added some good subtle moments to the game.

- Kojima and his producers need to get a ton of credit for creating this world and game out of whole cloth in like 4 years. Yea, they were gifted an engine, but the amount of interacting systems taking place in this game at any time is daunting. The social aspects work flawlessly. And a new lore and story needed to be created, written, acted, and captured in that time. It honestly is a big testament to that studio.

CosmicElement

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure DS will be my 2019 GOTY. It's not perfect by any means but the gameplay loops is so good, the setting and story are so creative, the asynchronous online is inventive...
Sorry Sekiro and RE2 Remake haha

Feb 23, 2019
Just reached Episode 8
connecting the chiral network to Heartman's lab

Is there a particular episode where there is a "point of no return" moment and I should focus first on building more zip lines, roads, and connecting more preppers? I've been sort of doing them as I go but there are quite a few gaps.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Just curious if any particular episodes require a crazy trek that would have been much better suited had I upgraded my infrastructure first...or if I should just go for the ending and then clean everything up with the post-game.

Curious how much game time I have left.
While there isn't a specific point of no return, from here on the game is gonna increasingly push you toward moving through the story, so I'd suggest building what you wanna build first if you want an easier time doing that.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Just beat the game after pretty much plowing through all the story from chapter 8 on. I...have thoughts, but I need to sit back and mull on them first.

Gameplay was great though!

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the game. Super over indulgent, over the top story in all the right ways. I don't not get the complaints about the whole ending sequences or the entire game. I felt it had good variety and felt like a cool take on the MGS style with new elements.

it was an absolute wild ride that I think video games are missing nowadays. Flawed for sure but I still loved the gameplay and didn't find it nearly as annoying as some. All in all 47.5 hours to beat the story

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just posted this in the Smash DLC Discussion Thread but I thought it would fit well here too:

Death Stranding in Smash: A Plan

Sam Porter Bridges:

Tilt Attacks -
A meagre short-ranged series of punches
Smash Attacks - Use one of your limited supply of cargo to hit the enemy for a powerful attack
Grab Attack - Use your Strand to subdue to the enemy momentarily
Aerial Attacks - Similar to regular Tilt Attacks. Not good in power or range

Up+B - Ladders & Ziplines
Builds a ladder (in mid-air somehow) that carries him upwards a small distance or, if the player has a PCC in their cargo selection, a zip-line that takes the player much further in a diagonal direction

Side+B - Bola Gun
Fire an electric cable that ties your opponent up momentarily

Neutral + B - Hematic Grenade
Damage yourself to throw a highly powerful grenade of your own blood life matter at the enemy

Down + B - Collect Cargo
Ties into the Cargo mechanic.

Special Mechanic - Cargo
Smash attacks can only be used if you have cargo that can be replenished with Down+B. However if you have too much cargo you'll rapidly lose balance and fall over, hurting yourself and losing cargo in the process. To avoid losing balance you need to hold the shield button to regain it or hold Down+B to offload cargo onto the floor (offloaded cargo can be picked up and used a projectiles by enemies).

Final Smash Attack - Voidout
Sam gets picked up by a massive BT only for the surrounding area to explode into a massive crater akin to a ground-only version of Jigglypuff's final smash, serving a serious blow to all opponents caught within the blast.

Stage: South Knot City

A ruined city with many platforms and steep slopes to contend with. Timefall will occur periodically damaging any players that get caught within it. BTs will appear from time to time and must be avoided as being caught by one and getting dragged down into the other side costs you a stock. Like the Mario Maker stage this stage will be randomly populated with a number of buildings from the Chiral Network that make traversing its erratic landscape a little bit easier.

Music

Low Roar
Lots and lots of Low Roar
ASYLUM FOR THE FEEEELING
ASYULM FOOOOORRRR
And some original stuff as well

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
The only way this happens is either you fabricated a new vehicle and your bike was the oldest created vehicle thus getting erased or you went far enough from your bike to trigger it spawning in another player's world and they took it.

Hmm interesting. I parked my bike in chapter 3 at an umbrella (forgot their name in game) before BTs when you're climbing to the weather station. Rested at the safe house they have you make and then went back. Oh well.

I spent SO much time today on roads. Stealing from the MULEs non stop. I can now drive all the way to the weather station with out much issue.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Question spoiler endgame

- why are there other baby's bt when Louise start crying at the end? I though the Death Stranding was stopped

- if sam is a repatriate because his connection to the world of the death as been severed, how is there other repatriate like him ?

- so at the end, amelie revived Louise since you see her with a quipu, wouldn't that make another death stranding since it all started when amelie revived Sam ?

Last edited:

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished it after 61hrs.
Some questions:

Thanks for clarifying.
I can respond to the 5 figures
I think at first it was supposed to show the 5 extinction entity but in the last sequence when deadman grab sam to get him back, you can heard the voice of his 5 friends becoming more and more loud when you approche the beach with the figures, so they represent the bond that you made along the way

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Is it me or every time Sam connects with BB while ascending via the elevator shaft, it sounds like a 33/56 kbps dial up modem establishing internet connection?

Camells

The Forgotten One
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit this game is insane
Finally finished and my god what a ride that endgame was I'm speechless and got a tear in my eye.
I hate how disjointed the dialogues and story deliveries are on Kojima games but this last part of DS just redeemed everything.

GOTY

Nov 13, 2017
i tought of getting caught up by bts to resurge the buldings and make my way to amelie, and as i so right now on youtube, you get a cinematic boss scene, but you know what i did?

I just cross the tar belt by foot till i reached Amelie,and had no problems, i never drowned, is this a bug??

ROFL wow that's crazy. Any chance you have the clip recorded? Would love to see that. Unsure if it's a bug or not.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017

Don't think it's a bug, my boyfriend did it the same way.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me clear up the relationship between Amelie, Bridget and Sam? I'm on chapter 6 so no major spoilers after that please, but:
Am I supposed to know why Amelie and Bridget look exactly like each other? In all the flashbacks until now, is that Bridget or Amelie? Is it Bridget or Amelie that he keeps meeting in his dreams? Bridget said she'd wait at the beach too...
Bumping my own question, lol.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can someone help me clear up the relationship between Amelie, Bridget and Sam? I'm on chapter 6 so no major spoilers after that please, but:
Am I supposed to know why Amelie and Bridget look exactly like each other? In all the flashbacks until now, is that Bridget or Amelie? Is it Bridget or Amelie that he keeps meeting in his dreams? Bridget said she'd wait at the beach too...
Well they look like the same maybe because game told us they're mother and daughter. I mean I was satisfied with that explanation but good eye. Or do I remember it wrong before ch6.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just posted this in the Smash DLC Discussion Thread but I thought it would fit well here too:

Death Stranding in Smash: A Plan

Sam Porter Bridges:

Tilt Attacks -
A meagre short-ranged series of punches
lol that is detailed but frankly I don't think Sam Porter deserves a spot in Videogame Hall of Fame (smash).

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
So question for chapter 5 spoilers

Ive been tasked to carry mama to her twin sister. Whats the easier route? Over th snowy mountains or the long trip around ? Can I use a vehicle?

Future_TraX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Basel, Switzerland
I can respond to the 5 figures
I think at first it was supposed to show the 5 extinction entity but in the last sequence when deadman grab sam to get him back, you can heard the voice of his 5 friends becoming more and more loud when you approche the beach with the figures, so they represent the bond that you made along the way
Thanks, that was my 2nd guess.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also is
Veteran Porter
story locked, found his place but it's locked and there's no lost cargo anywhere nearby like people say.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017

Ive been tasked to carry mama to her twin sister. Whats the easier route? Over th snowy mountains or the long trip around ? Can I use a vehicle?

I headed straight there from behind the weather station. I already had ziplines set up to get me up the first bit. Then you just head straight there, when you get near the depot you have to go left or right around the small mountain behind it. I went left. There is a section with BTs on the way but it's not too bad.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019

You can use a vehicle. I drove a truck because in my game, most of the highway was completed between Mountain Knot and the Craftsman.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
So after finishing with 47H and 6 total tumbles, i liked the game but didn't love it.

+ The graphics are state of the art
This has been the game in most recent memory where i have either stopped to look at it, and or, said something out loud about the graphics. The game looks great and most of the photography direction helps greatly in enhancing it's cinematic qualities.

+ The story has some unusual ideas
The most bizzarre aspects of the story help your curiosity drive you forward to know more; the first few encounters with BT's and MULE's are an engaging thrill.

+ The audio design balances the sparse soundtrack
Even though there are several times you wish you could listen to the tracks all the time, the environment sound is so beatifuly crafted that you end up focusing on the task at hand.

+ The main gameplay loop is tight
The mechanical aspects of the terrain crossing gameplay are well implemented and mostly fun. The upgrades you can make to your suit feel like welcome improvements that really help to carry the load.

- The game is way too easy.
The environment is half of the challenge and the MULE's and BT's could have been the other half, but not only are they trivial to dispatch\avoid, they are also very devoid of any depth because of the lack of characters representing them; which also rewards the choice to ignore them.

- The stations are identical and shallow.
With the short development time, i assume giving more depth to the stations wasn't an option. No direct interaction with pretty much anybody on the stations does play into the isolation aspect of the story, but ends up leaving the game feeling very empty, because you start to feel that you're stuck in a bubble where you can't interact even if you wanted to.
The fact that your room always looks the same everywhere you go, with the same stuff in it, makes the "obligatory" trips to it boring. There is nothing to do in them that has any real bearing on any aspect of the game. The 25% boost to stamina is again, repetitive, as are all the other interactions with BB and other toilet quirks.

- The social multiplayer isn't substantial
Again, the game started strong but burned up pretty fast. After feeling a rush from the usefulness of other player structures, there should be something more to bring you to the interaction table. The signs are useful, but too revealing (even with spoilers off). The lost cargo is not that fun nor rewarding since i can get 100x more likes from a well placed generator than lugging more stuff around my already over encumbered backpack.
I was completely baffled by the "contracts" (i don't remember the exact name); i activated 30 of them, and never saw anything happen. I still don't know what they are for.

- Kojima needs help writing dialogue
I get this is a Kojima game, but having the expositive dialogue grind your patience into dust is not a requirement. This is an aspect of his games that i really wish he reformed. He has such a great hand for photography that it's hard to believe he couldn't convey those parts of the story in a more interesting way.

edo_kid

Oct 27, 2017
There's a lot of interviews to unlock post game, got a bunch of new ones.

Finished it after 61hrs.
Some questions:

Thanks for clarifying.

Just seems like she special and is chosen by the Beach with the key moment being her body/soul separation.

Question spoiler endgame

- why are there other baby's bt when Louise start crying at the end? I though the Death Stranding was stopped

I don't think it stopped, the post game that takes place 3 weeks before it the DS is still in full effect.
Maybe it's the reviving that ends it at the end? Sam revive as a baby starts it while Lou ends.

Last edited:

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious if any particular episodes require a crazy trek that would have been much better suited had I upgraded my infrastructure first...or if I should just go for the ending and then clean everything up with the post-game.
Back end of Episode 9 and then full Episode 10 can be significantly more laborious if your infrastructure is not up to par ahead of it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it.
Gotta admit, overall really enjoyed it, much better than MGSV. Got my technobabble Kojima with interesting concept, world and gameplay.
Might be my top 10 this generation.

Biggest gripe was some seriously cheesy/hamfisted writing at parts but not that annoying in grand scheme.

Also I was kinda "eh" on real actors at beginning but it shows during certain scenes, Norman and Mads were nailing it for me the whole game.

Kojima redeemed.