• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
ps_messages_20191202_87k4r.jpg

Finally... Haven't been hooked to a game like this for a while.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Why the fuck do so many people park their trucks in the entrance of facilities? Is it just to grief? It's really annoying when I've got huge deliveries and I can't just walk in without moving the truck or jumping around it risking falling.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere, but how does the game decide when something is built? I've been bouncing around in Chapter 3 for awhile enjoying the delivery loop and have built quite a few highways. Clearly I am not the only one building roads in the game. Does the game bias what appears in each game to make sure the player has things to do?

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
my biggest 3 gripes!

1. when you detect a BT it goes in to that slow animatic and you can't skip it. For crying out loud, let me skip it! I've seen it enough
2. When you go to shower it takes about 4 SKIPS if you dont want to watch the entire sequence!!! stop!!!!!!! just let me skip all of the sequences with one click!
3. Having to use START and then another button click to skip things.... seriously... just let me click a normal button

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
Finished the game yesterday. It's the best Hideo Kojima game and my favorite game this generation (maybe ever?)

Overal I liked the writing, but the story it's at the same time unclear and on the nose. The game would hight benefit from a second writer. Kojima's concept is perfect but the writing and dialogs are not alaways good. Said that, I absolutely loved the cinematics, the acting and the characters. Every single one of the cutscenes is so well directed.

I know I would like the delivery simulator, but I didn't know I would like this much. The moment to moment gameplay is great and I'm afraid is turn every other open word game a slog to play, the gameplay loop is sooo good and addicting: planning routes and deliveries never gets old, even after 72 hours.

I have two small complaints: the BTs are not scary enough and the stealth is pretty weak (kinda unnacetable in a Hideo Kojima Game).

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
I finished it last friday. I didn't feel like keep playing it, but yesterday I just wanted to "build some roads". I played for 5 hours straight. I got 5 stars in the whole East region, and the roads of the central region are almost done.
I became a MULE.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
On ch.7 now. Good god does the zip lines network fucking pay off big time in the mountains.

I've built a network all the wayfrom south knot to mountain knot city, then from the doctor to the mountaineer. Get get half way across the map in a flash! I'm sticking to roads for the other half of the map, since I'm almost at 400k likes know, thanks to the tons of likes you get by building roads. Plus a trike in boost mode gets you to places fast.

Oh and the backtracking stuff didn't bother me much in ch.5, just pointed a trike down the mountain for the first leg, and spent an hour beforehand just building my zipines.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
It's interesting how the more I play this game, the more I hate it.

I guess I am past the delivery addiction, the more you think about this game the more flaws there is. The more I deliver the more I realize just how meaningless these deliveries are, NPC don't even react to the things you delivered to them, you can deliver a full crate of chiralium dildos and they would still say the same shit.

Hopefully The rest of the game is much better and diverse interms of deliveries and encounters, who am I kidding it's going to be the same shit. Especially the BTs.

Death Stranding is a painfully mediocre game with some creative concepts. It will be a very forgettable title in the long run.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I have to say, just walking down a moutain seeing the sheer scale of the world is something else and easily my most memorable moments in a game this year. The landscape was breathtaking.

Even with my network built, I choose to simply chose to go on foot for long range deliveries and enjoy the environment.

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
Why the fuck do so many people park their trucks in the entrance of facilities? Is it just to grief? It's really annoying when I've got huge deliveries and I can't just walk in without moving the truck or jumping around it risking falling.
When you have your cargo inside the truck, if it's close enough to the terminal, you can deliver it directly from the truck to the terminal, without having to deload it. That's why there are so many vehicles at the entrance of facilities. I agree is annoying tho, we should park them right next to the entrance.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
1) You need to be close to the facility to seamlessly make use of the inventory from the delivery terminal interface
2) The likelihood of people logging out after finishing a delivery is probably quite high

= Lots of abandoned vehicles at the entrances

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done making all the roads. Was real fun. Now I can traverse easily betwe distrib centers with my truck, with a max load of goods.

I just got armor plates lvl 4. first item to go up to 4.

I think like how you get gold colored chiral equipement as rewards from preppers. Makes me feel like a king with this high end gear

Citizen Rizer

Oct 27, 2017
Got the plat. It was a bit of a grind, but not too bad. If you're struggling to level up Delivery Time, be sure to invest in building roads and take jobs that require a truck and take you all the way across the map.

A couple closing thoughts:

I have to say, the social aspects of the game got me completely. I play Dark Souls offline because I don't want other people interfering with my game, but I can't imagine playing Death Stranding offline. I took so much pride in seeing my well-placed zip-line rack up likes and using a ton of materials to build up all the roads was so satisfying knowing how helpful they'd be for other players to use.

I love Kojima; I'll play anything he makes, but he probably shouldn't be writing dialogue. Perhaps it's better in his native Japanese, but in English it's the weakest part of his games. The world-building, atmosphere and direction are top-notch, as are the general concepts of the characters, but when it comes time for them to actually speak I wish he'd hand it off to someone else.

Overall, I'd say I like MGSV a little better than this, but I still loved it. Which surprised me a little as I remember the initial pangs of disappointment I felt when we finally found out what you actually do in the game.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game is so addictive! Played it for 5,6 hours and really love it. After finishing a timed quest, I can easily say it's one of those satisfying games that gives the player a sense of succession in a good way
I have a question guys. what's the differences between medium and hard? I'm playing on hard in my first run and it seems a good choice at least in the first hours, but still curious about differences.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017

I guess I am past the delivery addiction, the more you think about this game the more flaws there is. The more I deliver the more I realize just how meaningless these deliveries are, NPC don't even react to the things you delivered to them, you can deliver a full crate of chiralium dildos and they would still say the same shit.

Hopefully The rest of the game is much better and diverse interms of deliveries and encounters, who am I kidding it's going to be the same shit. Especially the BTs.

Death Stranding is a painfully mediocre game with some creative concepts. It will be a very forgettable title in the long run.
How far are you? and it will be the exact opposite in the long run.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
If anyone else is going for the Homo Faber trophy and didn't know this: you can see what you've crafted by the little check box in the bottom left when you click on an item to craft it. It can be a little wonky when things do or don't register so this was a lifesaver for me.

Got the Plat last night. Absolutely incredible experience, and I was hooked on so many things other games just won't have (like the basic traversal mechanics).

I also thought the story was actually pretty damn good, and a lot of the plot developments towards the end were well-done. In typical Kojima fashion everything was super wordy and took too long of course, but counter to MGS4 and 5 I was very on board with the twists and where the story went.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
ps_messages_20191202_87k4r.jpg

Finally... Haven't been hooked to a game like this for a while.
Sorry, but do you have a list of easy Premium deliveries I can do for the time trial section and the one to gather stuff from one place to another?
I miss something like 12 time trials and 16 gathering missions, they are awful, expecially considering the majority I found send me right into a terrorists camp, and dealing with like 12 terrorists at once is not so great.
Some time trial are very frustrating even if I built a proper zipline network, but some of them require you to not waste even 6 seconds.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Did anyone else get
part of their ear blown off at some point near the end and it stayed that way? I noticed it during the ending cutscenes and subsequent post-game and it never heals. I remember having one of my own rockets explode in my face during the final boss battle, but I'm surprised the ear stayed this way.
I've been doing post-game stuff for hours and it's still all gnarly.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017

I thought episodes 9 to 14 are the lowest point of this game. Enjoyed it until end of episode 8.

When you have your cargo inside the truck, if it's close enough to the terminal, you can deliver it directly from the truck to the terminal, without having to deload it. That's why there are so many vehicles at the entrance of facilities. I agree is annoying tho, we should park them right next to the entrance.

Yeah that's another small, but annoying thing. Modders are going to improve this game on PC.

Jun 23, 2019

Hard disagree. The game is unique and compelling enough to be looked on for years to come.

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't it obvious that stuff is loading so you can't skip it?
Initial impression is that it's a load masking cut-scene, but you can literally
zip-line your way into the midst of BT territory without the same occurring while on the line
so it seems to be more of a design choice rather than necessity.

I actually used the above as a tactic to farm BT bosses for resources because it avoids the load time and you're detected right away so it's instant boss.

Oldest_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Did anyone else get
part of their ear blown off at some point near the end and it stayed that way? I noticed it during the ending cutscenes and subsequent post-game and it never heals. I remember having one of my own rockets explode in my face during the final boss battle, but I'm surprised the ear stayed this way.
I've been doing post-game stuff for hours and it's still all gnarly.

Higgs bites it off during the Solid/Liquid fight on the beach.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017

NPCs react with emails. They give out upgrades and trinkets. It's not meaningless at all to max out their shelters. BTs are made to be avoided at first, later used for ressources when you can kill them easily.
Only for its concept, not its core design.
The core design is compelling: Discover area, build it up, unlock upgrades that make it easy, move forward and discover new problems to solve. That's what most of the progression is like. It's not a perfect game and I certainly get why someone wouldn't like it, but the gameplay has a solid core loop and strong foundation with the level design, character animations and weight and different possibilities of approach.
There's still taste involved though and how one reacts to the mixture of frustration and then relaxation will vary, but for the objective metrics one can put on game design this ticks quite a few boxes, especially considering that it's rather unique.

Plum

May 31, 2018
So do BTs end up respawning if I let myself get caught and kill the big guy that appears? I'm more than well equipped to just start eliminating them all and it would be nice to have my treks be a little more nonsense free.

Nov 13, 2017
Also is
Veteran Porter
story locked, found his place but it's locked and there's no lost cargo anywhere nearby like people say.

No. I found lost cargo for him near the Geologist, IIRC.

So do BTs end up respawning if I let myself get caught and kill the big guy that appears? I'm more than well equipped to just start eliminating them all and it would be nice to have my treks be a little more nonsense free.

Yes, they respawn. Some faster than others, depending on how much death occurred in the area. You'll come across ruined cities where the BTs spawn every 5 minutes, so you gotta kill, get the loot, and get out.

If you want travel to be mostly nonsense free, build the roads. The roads are positioned to make it so you never get caught by BTs. You'll still get timefall and the BTs will still show up, but you'll never have to actually deal with them.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Just got to Chapter 10, holy shit has the game gone into high gear. IMO Chapter 8 was the peak of the game so far, I loved the areas there and I the story stuff was so so well done. Still enjoying the story stuff now but not really sure where it's gonna go from here.

Also very excited to get back to my typical delivery bullshit in the endgame! Being stuck in the mountains for hours and hours has made me yearn for the open road a bit.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Going back to the Elder after finishing the game was a surprise.

Wish that there was a road straight to the Timefall farm.

Plum

May 31, 2018
No. I found lost cargo for him near the Geologist, IIRC.

Yes, they respawn. Some faster than others, depending on how much death occurred in the area. You'll come across ruined cities where the BTs spawn every 5 minutes, so you gotta kill, get the loot, and get out.

If you want travel to be mostly nonsense free, build the roads. The roads are positioned to make it so you never get caught by BTs. You'll still get timefall and the BTs will still show up, but you'll never have to actually deal with them.

That sucks :(

I've been building the roads and setting up zipline networks but, like you said, you still have to deal with the damned animation + a forced stop every time you want to drive through that area. That bit just before you get to South Knot City is incredibly frustrating.

Would also be nice to just get rid of the rain for once. Timefall ends up obscuring how beautiful the landscape can really be and when you're just travelling through it sucks that you don't really get anything nice to look at.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Sorry, but do you have a list of easy Premium deliveries I can do for the time trial section and the one to gather stuff from one place to another?
I miss something like 12 time trials and 16 gathering missions, they are awful, expecially considering the majority I found send me right into a terrorists camp, and dealing with like 12 terrorists at once is not so great.
Some time trial are very frustrating even if I built a proper zipline network, but some of them require you to not waste even 6 seconds.
Hey,

Sorry, I didn't use a list. Just desperately traveling from station to station, hoping to find a time based mission. The mountain area has some good mission, the doctor alonefor example comes with 3 or 4 time missions and besides one of them you can do them quick and easy with a good zipline network. Keep in mind that you also have to 5 star every facility and get level 60 in every discipline to get the platinum trophy. May be a good idea to start in the first region.

This guide has some good tips, I hope it helps you.

Nov 13, 2017
That sucks :(

I've been building the roads and setting up zipline networks but, like you said, you still have to deal with the damned animation + a forced stop every time you want to drive through that area. That bit just before you get to South Knot City is incredibly frustrating.

Would also be nice to just get rid of the rain for once. Timefall ends up obscuring how beautiful the landscape can really be and when you're just travelling through it sucks that you don't really get anything nice to look at.

Yea it's really jarring. I actually just made the odd delivery to the Chiral Artist's Studio so I could get some more Chiral Boots, and it was the first time I had ever seen that red desert without any timefall at all. Absolutely gorgeous.

Oct 27, 2017
IMO the plot was great, and much more restraint and concise by Kojima standards, while still having a much better twist than MGSV.

And I appreciated that I didn't see a whole lot of sexualization of the female characters at all really.