• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Could some of what these game critics are saying/or not saying be subtle hints at how they feel about Death Stranding? Absolutely.

At the same time, hyperanalysing them to this degree, especially to the extent that we're already establishing a fixture of an assumption is well...

Don't go into fanfiction territory, guys.
Have you listened to it? It's not hyperanalysing 😂

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I listened to the bombcast, and he basically implied that he hates Red Dead 2 but appreciates it after playing death stranding

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It kind of is considering we don't know what he actually hated, why he hated it, and what the context of the thoughts were. The only thing we know for sure is he didn't like it and he presumably stopped playing it. Everything else is conjecture.

He said he appreciates RDR2 out of nowhere, and he had stated numerous times he didn't like the game because of the clunky controls and micro managing. And he also said "who is to compare two games". So it seems pretty clear he is implying RDR2 isn't that bad after playing DS.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
He said he appreciates RDR2 out of nowhere, and he had stated numerous times he didn't like the game because of the clunky controls and micro managing. And he also said "who is to compare two games". So it seems pretty clear he is implying RDR2 isn't that bad after playing DS.

Right, but we don't know what that says about DS's controls or management and it takes an assumption to draw a conclusion there.

Again, there are plenty of conclusions we can reasonably draw, including the most important one: he doesn't like it. Beyond that, though? Not a ton of stuff I'd really hang my hat on if my life depended on it lol.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Right, but we don't know what that says about DS's controls or management and it takes an assumption to draw a conclusion there.

Again, there are plenty of conclusions we can reasonably draw, including the most important one: he doesn't like it. Beyond that, though? Not a ton of stuff I'd really hang my hat on if my life depended on it lol.

Yeah, I think that's fair.
But I can make an educated guess that if his biggest issue with RDR2 was the gameplay and micro managing and sim systems, if he says RDR2 isn't bad in retrospect, it's a decent chance he's drawing a through line from hating that in RDR2 to hating that in DS.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Giant Bomb is filled with old, bitter reviewers who don't review jackshit anymore, I think hate they hate medium, and want an excuse to crap on everything.

Last edited:

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
It kind of is considering we don't know what he actually hated, why he hated it, and what the context of the thoughts were. The only thing we know for sure is he didn't like it and he presumably stopped playing it. Everything else is conjecture.
Well I haven't gone into specifics, just that he doesn't like it and seemingly not even finishing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
Dan quit playing the game and Giantbomb was never going to review the game anyway as they don't review games.

I very much doubt he has quit the game. He probably just put it down to play other things he's enjoying, there's no rush given the lengthy embargo. He played RDR2 to completion despite hating the gameplay because he liked the characters and story, and I can't see him missing Kojima's cutscenes. Especially if the back 50% of the game is when things really pick up as Kojima stated.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt he has quit the game. He probably just put it down to play other things he's enjoying, there's no rush given the lengthy embargo. He played RDR2 to completion despite hating the gameplay because he liked the characters and story, and I can't see him missing Kojima's cutscenes. Especially if the back 50% of the game is when things really pick up as Kojima stated.

We also have no idea where he was in the game when he put it down. He could have been in the opening hours, he could have been halfway, etc.

Aurongel

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dan's pseudo-impressions of Death Stranding on the Beastcast sounded super... Not good. He may have dismissed a lot of what RDR2 did right but his criticisms for the inventory management systems and general pace are perfectly valid for players who are turned off by that sort of thing.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Man the fucking saying of GB are grumpy and not enjoying games needs to stop.

Because only applies to GBW 🤭

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think RDR2 handled its inventory or simulation aspects particularly well.

I'm curious if Dan's issue is with Death Stranding'implementation of those systems (actual problem) or if he just doesn't like those kinds of systems in general (preference, not a problem).

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I am getting really irritated by the passive aggressive insults and mockery of Kojima fans. We have some in this thread celebrating people arguing and a disastrous review thread. Are we really just as bad as the old place and Gamespot?

Any reviewer who gives this less than a 9 better be ready for a inquisition.
Please stop this rhetoric. We have well adjusted fans in here and this stealth mockery is really fucking immature and tiring. Not to mention enabling.

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What? C'mon now. If they don't like something they don't like something. Maybe listen to why they don't like it before you start casting aspersions?
Oh this is already starting
Nothing every positive comes out from the site. Nothing. All they do is whine, whine, and whine about something or the other. Most of the games they don't finish, they don't review.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Really interested in learning what Dan didn't like about the game. If I had to give it a guess, it's probably the heavy emphasis on managing your cargo/inventory. He didn't like RDR2 for similar reasons.

I'm excited for the game but I gotta be honest, traversing rivers/bodies of water legitimately looks like a pain if the TGS footage is anything to go by, though I guess that's the intended feeling huh? Going through them the thirtieth time or whatever might be really tedious though, hoping there's upgrades to speed the process up a bit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing every positive comes out from the site. Nothing. All they do is whine, whine, and whine about something or the other. Most of the games they don't finish, they don't review.

They don't review much of anything at all anymore because reviewing isn't exactly fun, especially when you've been doing it for 20 years.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am getting really irritated by the passive aggressive insults and mockery of Kojima fans. We have some in this thread celebrating people arguing and a disastrous review thread. Are we really just as bad as the old place and Gamespot?

Please stop this rhetoric. We have well adjusted fans in here and this stealth mockery is really fucking immature and tiring. Not to mention enabling.
Then what is this?
A metacritic score of under 90 will be seen as a victory in the eyes of Kojima haters.

"Told you he is a fraud/hack/overrated!"
Better yet, if it scores under 90% he's a hack and people always knew he was just talk. If it scores above 90% it'll be the reviewers fault being blinded by Kojima hype "Just like with metal Gear Solid 4".

Thanks to that they can hate either way and feel superior doing it.
Giant Bomb is filled with old, bitter reviewers who don't review jackshit anymore, I think hate they hate medium, and want an excuse to crap on everything.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it going to be amazing? Because it's funny to see people debate or be upset? I sincerely hope the mods proactively enforce rules to prevent some of this snark entertainment people seem to want. We are better than this trash
Every single Kojima thread has been a disaster. Mods have not addressed any of them (except for the one that had a good review) so it's best to just brace yourself and wait for when there's a thread in Hangouts.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Why is it going to be amazing? Because it's funny to see people debate or be upset? I sincerely hope the mods proactively enforce rules to prevent some of this snark entertainment people seem to want. We are better than this trash
It's going to be amazing for the same reasons every xbox first party review thread is amazing.
It's going to be a back and forth full of reasons that barely actually relate to the game or the reviews. It's going to be amazing because regardless of if the game reviews in high 90s or low 70s, it's going to be polarizing for different people. You're also going to get the usual "how dare this person rate it a 70!!!" that you see in other threads.

In other words, it's a high profile game, so it's going to get a high profile thread.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I have nothing but faith in Hideo Kojima.

Every game with his name on it has impressed me to a major degree.

Not everyone enjoys Kojima games. But I always have. So I'm not worried about Death Stranding.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I have nothing but faith in Hideo Kojima.

Every game with his name on it has impressed me to a major degree.

Not everyone enjoys Kojima games. But I always have. So I'm not worried about Death Stranding.
And this is the mentality more people should have when it comes to games. If you like something, just like the damn thing. It doesn't really matter what others thing.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Yes it is hilarious to see people meltdown and scream at each other about decimal points on reviews for video games they have never played.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
And this is the mentality more people should have when it comes to games. If you like something, just like the damn thing. It doesn't really matter what others thing.
Even though I had major problems with Phantom Pain, I still had a brilliant time playing that game and moments of awe at the gameplay it offered.

That's what leaves me feeling confident about Death Stranding.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Sometimes being divisive is good

Joker was divisive, despite being considered by many as one of, if not the best movie of the year.

Taxi Driver did the same thing.

Roger Ebert also hated The Clockwork Orange, giving it a bad review.

Mirror's Edge and Horizon are considered one of the best games of their respective generations of consoles, despite both scoring less than 90 on Metacritic

And most importantly, people should read the reviews, specially those scoring the game "normally" at 70-80, because maybe they will have some valid criticism and wont be filled with hype

Status
Not open for further replies.