• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Game has good reviews, i mean, metacritic and opencritic good. Not sure why people are so upset.

Many of the positive reviews have a hesitant tone to it.

Some even admit that it's a chore to play, but still score it high because of the unique experience it provides.

It's a game that rends numerical scores meaningless. Some people can have the same experience, and yet still draw different conclusions from it.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
cdZ2Vio.jpg
???????
Wrong thread?

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what i could gather: The reviews from 3 to 6 are from reviewers that don't seem to have bothered to finish the game and the 10 to 8 scores from people that actually did their jobs?
Not all games need to show us their full scopes in the first few hours or be about shooting down the bad guys with action setpieces in the middle.

Sounds to me this game is just separating the good reviewers from people that don't do their jobs right. A little rough to say but it's what i gathered from reading like 5 or 6 reviews.

For me it separates the reviewers who like walking simulators(because the Gameplay is nothing more than this) from the ones that don't.

Personally walking simulators are not fun regardless of the story or the person who make the game.

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
this is such an extremely toxic and unpleasant post. i don't understand why we can't just discuss the game without getting into personal attacks on people who enjoyed it or were looking forward to it. reading a review doesn't mean you played the game.

i really enjoyed it. is that a crime? should i be hauled off to gaming jail?

I was on the fence about buying it. To be perfectly honest, it sounds like the perfect game to have a podcast or something else playing int he background.

With that said, there is a difference in enjoying something on a personal level and being as objectively critical as possible. How any media makes us feel is obviously subjective, but you can only dress up poor gameplay so much.

I absolutely stand by what I said. I think anyone who calls a game GOTY or starts having meltdowns about how amazing it seems based on pre release footage or trailers is a child.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but based on everything I have personally seen and the reviews I've read, I wouldn't trust you if you told me it was a good game. Will give it a shot when it hits $20.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
From what i could gather: The reviews from 3 to 6 are from reviewers that don't seem to have bothered to finish the game and the 10 to 8 scores from people that actually did their jobs?
Not all games need to show us their full scopes in the first few hours or be about shooting down the bad guys with action setpieces in the middle.

Sounds to me this game is just separating the good reviewers from people that don't do their jobs right. A little rough to say but it's what i gathered from reading like 5 or 6 reviews.

One of the worst takes about the reviews of this game.

Deleted member 2379

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Where do you see that? The GB team finished the game and spent north of 50 hours on it and hate it. They say the story gets even more non-sensical at the end. The game actually gets worse as it tries to wrap up the story.

In general all the reviews have the same complaints, but some still say 10/10 while others were completely turned off by it.

Read the Ars, Cnet or IGN reviews. Each of them finished the game.

jml

Mar 9, 2018

Some of the impressions from the guys who finished the game at Giant Bomb are they specifically dislike the closing hours of the game.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The battle to set the 'general consensus' for a game 99.9% of the people in the thread haven't even played yet rages on into 129 pages. It's a new unknown IP that's fully exclusive with new types of game play, so it really hasn't been defined whether it's good or bad yet - thus so much weight. It is what it is, the fans of all sides are in here in full force, along with whoever wishes to influence the general consensus.
It seems like just an open world third person action-adventure game with MP elements, it being a totally new concept or "strand game" or whatever feels like hype and marketing.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
This thread went REALLY off the rails. I came in expecting comments on the reviews, instead we're talking Anne Frank and review score warring with other games?

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
This game to me seems like a demonstration of the idea that people play games for COMPLETELY different reasons. I think some people specifically come to games for the idea of "fun" while others may come to a game for an "experience".

Neither approach is wrong, but in cases of games like Death Stranding that divide becomes increasingly apparent.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For me it separates the reviewers who like walking simulators(because the Gameplay is nothing more than this) from the ones that don't.

Personally walking simulators are not fun regardless of the story or the person who make the game.
The impression I got from most reviews is that they acknowledge the game is a chore to play and traverse; the difference that comes into play is that some are willing to overlook that more than others, for whatever reason.

Why are y'all still making Anne Franke memes? You're being no more tasteful than the person who initially drew the comparison. Shit is stupid by now.

Dec 6, 2017
US
You mean the core gameplay loop is analyzing the cargo weight, balance, route, risk, speed etc.? If so then color me intrigued.

That and apparently rather intricate traversal mechanics like using the triggers for balancing and so on. It seems to be the opposite of just choosing some items and pushing forward for an hour type deal.

That being said, there's been some pretty fucking tedious looking gameplay footage even with that in mind. I'll have to get my hands on a rental to see how it all feels in practice.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Wow. Anne Frank jokes. You guys are hilarious.
Victim of persecution and holocaust right?

Can a mod please do something. This review is beyond pathetic now.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nahh, some of you are out of pocket LMAO. These photoshops on Twitter man. No chill 💀

EITkbXrXYAAof4k.png:large

EIThhXwXsAA3lKB.jpg:large

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This might take the cake for awful take.

Just because they didn't like the game doesn't mean they are bad at their jobs, sorry to break it to you.

Deleted member 47092

Banned
Aug 25, 2018
Did you not have to read The Diary of Anne Frank in school? Not exactly an enjoyable book but it is worth reading. So it is possible for someone to want to consume content that is not enjoyable to widen their world view. I'm not saying that this is worth it because I haven't played it but it's within the realm of possibility for video games to get there.

Shut the fuck up forever.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
As far as reviewers not finishing the game, I don't think it's the worst thing. Their experience will be reflective of the experience of some consumers after all and they can accurately convey that.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Those people are idiots. Classic gamers being blinded by stupid hype. They never change. They never mature. The cycle repeats.

I honestly can't imagine the mind of the child who saw ANY of the pre-release coverage that included actual gameplay and thought this was going to be GOTY.

This game turned out to be exactly what was shown. There is a reason why no one could figure out what the hell was going on. It was because there is nothing going on. Your carry shit from one place to another. Since that's so obnoxiously boring, carrying stuff is made difficult. Then throw in some Kojima nonsense and that seems to be the entire game.

What was shown is what we got.

I mean there are some reviews who are raving and seem to think it's a contender for GOTY. Obviously others that think it's whack.

Honestly I was pretty hyped for what it could be, a game about navigating. Could be a really interesting journey, and I'm not yet convinced I'll find it a boring slog. I'll have to play to find out.

The game looks to be exactly what was shown. But not sure how that's automatically a bad thing.

Ozymandias

Jun 9, 2018

Both of you are portuguese I would say. Go read the Zwame review, or Eurogamer, and many other positive reviews. Its not only a walking simulator. And what the hell is that even at this point? Almost all AAA games nowadays consist of the same gameplay loops. Fetch quests, walking around or using some mode of transportation, eventually having fast travel and some action and story sprinkled between. Death Stranding is all of this but made in a significant different way. Its not for everyone clearly, but the positive reviews clearly try to convey the sentiment that games are fucking art and are NOT A SUM OF PARTS but instead an experience like seeing a movie and that in the end, even with a ton of shortcomings, it can have a lasting effect and make for an unforgettable experience. This shit has nothing to do with Kojima except the fact that he made the game.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Right, but then "relaxing" would be the operative word, or the game finding an optimal level of engagement make it serene to play, keep your attention but not demanding total focus. "Tedious" seems to imply passing that barrier into boredom/frustration that makes it negative experience, even if you like low tempo games, which i think many people do. Sure, a bit of tedium could have purpose in a larger context, if its supposed to be a contrast to other aspects of the game, but as far as I know, the things described as "tedious" make up most of the gameplay loop.
Yeah, this game is more akin to a particularly methodical survival sim, an obscure early access steam game that somehow got made with huge production value, Hollywood actors, a weird story and asynchronous multiplayer while trudging through a desolate yet beautiful world that is an open ended puzzle on how to conquer it, together with those clowns who leave "check rear" messages in Dark Souls. I can't help but find that extremely interesting and am more than ready to accept the tedium as part of one of the elements this game will use to convey something, which is what a bunch of people have been getting it. It's not universally right or wrong, you simply cannot erase the player from the equation in the question if tedium is purposeful or a design failure.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Did you not have to read The Diary of Anne Frank in school? Not exactly an enjoyable book but it is worth reading. So it is possible for someone to want to consume content that is not enjoyable to widen their world view. I'm not saying that this is worth it because I haven't played it but it's within the realm of possibility for video games to get there.
holy shit haha

this cant be real

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
I guess I am one of the few people in Era that is not a huge fan of Kojima. But I remember all the hyoe for MGSV, I wasn't going ti buy it, but I fell for era's hype. To save some time, I was quite dissapointed.

This time I didn't fall for the hype and I am happy I didn't buy this. It seem like its a boring mess.

Review scores for games from Kojima and Rockstar don't matter in my eyes, they will always get more middle 80's or higher scores, but the impressions, even the positive ones, sound terrible in my opinion.

Deleted member 10847

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (1 week): Inflammatory point of comparison, modwhining
This forum sometimes is overly aggressive when dealing with minorities/ethnics (in the sense that they point the finger without proper evidence, ex: blacks from Xbox) but making fun of the hollocast? That's fine it seems.. Mods should have acted long ago.