• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meh, not really I was going to buy it and play the shit out of it even if it scored a 2/10. Cool try tho.
No youve been constantly moaning about reactions to it on this board which is why I'm not the only one in here who called you out for it. No one said someone isn't allowed to enjoy the game so idk why you thought your passive aggressive sarcasm in that post was even warranted other than to demonstrate how sensitive you are to the game being divisive.

I'm getting the game too. I will play the shit out of it. I also don't feel the need to make petty posts like yours because I'm upset others don't like it.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
The story being terrible, poorly told, vapid, and genuinely offensive probably doesn't help.
Fucking thank you, Alex. Kojima's storytelling is given waaaay too much credit simply because its absurdity is misinterpreted as genius.

Yeah I've watching streams and havent seen whats so great about the story. All I see is long exposition about the way mechanics and the world works as well as intentionally vague/obtuse cutscenes. Obscurity =/= great. But apparently to many it does.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i feel like some people are making up imaginary posts and then get defensive about them.
i really don't see many people saying 83 is a bad score. if we judge a game's quality by only it's score, it's definitely a good one. it can't be denied tho that MOST people were expecting a higher score than the current one, based on both kojima's past games and some of SIE's big recent games. the fact that this didn't meet those expectations doesn't immediately make it a bad game, and people pointing that out aren't saying it sux either.
it feels more like the people who were expecting a 90+ game are getting defensive and coming up with reasons why it is the way it is, when the simple reason is that some reviewers (who HAVE actually played the game) didn't like it as much as they expected to like the game when they play it for themselves.
some of the made up narratives here are just absurd. the US/EU thing, saying "oh i can't enjoy the game now?" and acting like people will call you out if you say you're liking it, saying giant bomb is just shitting on the game for no reason, etc. those just come off as defensive arguments that try to justify why the outcome is what it is.
at the end of the day, the game is well received, and the reception and the few low scores would in no shape or form change your experience when you play the game.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So you all are saying that Death Standing is the Joker of gaming? Game of the Year confirmed then! Kojima loved that film btw. He called it "[A] movie to change the history of cinema."
giphy.gif

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I can't wait to read the impressions of people who finally get their hands on this game, for better or worse. lol

I mean, other than the reviewers themselves?

Matt seems to be the only non-reviewer that's posted an opinion so far. It wasn't positive.

I'm shocked by how truly awful this game is.

Doing anything in it is an absolute chore.The Truck Simulator comparison is apt, save for the fact that TS can be fun, and has a better story.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, never played Mudrunner, but played and enjoyed the rest of those games you listed.

That's kinda the point I'm getting at though. I like games similar to DS, but I think DS is a bad version of these types of games.

The story being terrible, poorly told, vapid, and genuinely offensive probably doesn't help.
that's kind of interesting. what about the story did you find offensive, if you don't mind my asking

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt like it, played for 5-6 hours and never finished it. My only other friend who played it didnt bother finishing it either. I really dont get the hype about the game

I saw the opening 10 minutes and just didn't care for anything I saw at all, the gameplay also turned me off.

And yet a lot of people really like it, takes all sorts.

Spruchy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just got the call from the Mom and Pop shop next to me in BK, game is in. Finishing up work then will head over. GOTY 2019 is here baby.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
metacritic has added edge's impressions as a review-in-progress, looks like their final review might be in the next issue
Quite what we're supposed to make of all that is anyone's guess, but in fairness that's a recurring theme. Expect our final verdict next month - providing we can stagger over the finish line, anyway. [40-Hour Impressions; Issue#339, p.28]

saiko

Nov 4, 2017
Damn, this thread is now nearing 1 million views. Is this common for review threads for big games here?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
can you explain the reason why people are put off by it? in spoilers of course.
Childbirth is just about one of the most traumatic things someone will go through, and in human history is a process that has killed millions of women, even to this day. Using that tragedy, and then the child produced as a mcguffin, is, even on the face of it, incredibly distasteful. It's probably possible a well told and meaningful story could make it work and justify its use, but Death Stranding is not a well told and meaningful story.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Childbirth is just about the most traumatic thing many women will go through, and in human history is a process that has killed millions of women, even to this day. Using that tragedy, and then the child produced as a mcguffin, is, even on the face of it, incredibly distasteful. It's possible a well told and meaningful story could make it work and justify its use, but Death Stranding is not a well told and meaningful story.
just read the story behind them. i really can't believe sony was ok with that in a game they published.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I don't want to spoil me that, but it's something that is explained in the main story cinematics or it's something you have to explore to find out?

I'm looking at you Outlast 2!

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Despite their low score of DS you can tell GB really want to, in some way, appreciate this game; they have like close to 4 hours of video of this game up now but ultimately, it is a hard sell. Alex mentioning how its a game he wants people to experience but cannot necessarily recommend to people sums it up.

Definitely has taken my interest in the game down a few pegs when it comes out on the PC. Does not seem like something even mods could fix as the issues seem to be with the way the game is designed or too big in scope for mods to overcome.

But the way they shat on the game's narrative though......that's not something mods will be able to fix ever.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Childbirth is just about one of the most traumatic things someone will go through, and in human history is a process that has killed millions of women, even to this day. Using that tragedy, and then the child produced as a mcguffin, is, even on the face of it, incredibly distasteful. It's probably possible a well told and meaningful story could make it work and justify its use, but Death Stranding is not a well told and meaningful story.
just read the story behind them. i really can't believe sony was ok with that in a game they published.
major spoilers:

my reading of it was veryyy different. it's pretty clearly presented as a terrible thing that is normalized in this world but absolutely shouldn't be. i didn't think they were insensitive with the way they handled it at all

Jan 15, 2018
Despite their low score of DS you can tell GB really want to, in some way, appreciate this game; they have like close to 4 hours of video of this game up now but ultimately, it is a hard sell. Alex mentioning how its a game he wants people to experience but cannot necessarily recommend to people sums it up.

Definitely has taken my interest in the game down a few pegs when it comes out on the PC. Does not seem like something even mods could fix as the issues seem to be with the way the game is designed or too big in scope for mods to overcome.

But the way they shat on the game's narrative though......that's not something mods will be able to fix ever.

It is just one review, not the end all be all of how you should feel about the game.

Based on other impressions, it seems pretty much impossible to say one way or the other if the story is bad without experiencing it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
major spoilers:

my reading of it was veryyy different. it's pretty clearly presented as a terrible thing that is normalized in this world but absolutely shouldn't be. i didn't think they were insensitive with the way they handled it at all
Its existence in the story is inherently insensitive, and the writing isn't good enough to overcome that.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its existence in the story is inherently insensitive, and the writing isn't good enough to overcome that.
i couldn't disagree more that its existence in the story is inherently insensitive, especially with the way it's framed. how far into the game are you?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Very.

And you disagree, that's fine. Doesn't mean I find it any less offensive.
alright. i do think the last act and especially the ending puts this into a completely different light, and i don't think the way the ending is framed and what the BB represents in the story would be possible without its literal representation. it was definitely unsettling, and it was meant to be. but it's at least worth considering that the ending could reframe to some extent how you think about this. it's probably not a discussion for the review thread but yeah

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
major spoilers:

to me the concept just seems beyond distasteful regardless of how it's handled.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
alright. i do think the last act and especially the ending puts this into a completely different light, and i don't think the way the ending is framed and what the BB represents in the story would be possible without its literal representation. it was definitely unsettling, and it was meant to be. but it's at least worth considering that the ending could reframe to some extent how you think about this. it's probably not a discussion for the review thread but yeah
Like I said, it's possible an actually well told and worthwhile story that has something to say could pull this off. But DS doesn't meet that standard.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so you have the stance that things like this should never been in narrative fiction even if its done well? not saying its done well here, but thats a pretty weird limitation to put on art.
I will never understand an opinion like this.
sorry it just doesn't seem right to me, and it's not like it was handled well either based on what matt is saying. i do understand that it's my personal opinion tho and others can feel different.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
sorry it just doesn't seem right to me, and it's not like it was handled well either based on what matt is saying. i do understand that it's my personal opinion tho and others can feel different.

It's just that hoorible subjects are dealt with all the time in media. This seems pretty tame compared to a lot that's out there.

Just because something is not very nice doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be shyed away from.

I'm not commenting on how it's handled in this particular game as haven't seen it yet.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC

thats fine if it doesn't seem right to you, completely valid way to feel. also tho, plenty of other people have said they do think its handled well, so i'd just say its weird to make a declarative statement about it being bad when its very obvious that people have different takes on this.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
The more I hear and see about this game, the more I believe that if the same game was put out by anyone else, it would have been utterly destroyed by the press lol.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
thats fine if it doesn't seem right to you, completely valid way to feel. also tho, plenty of other people have said they do think its handled well, so i'd just say its weird to make a declarative statement about it being bad when its very obvious that people have different takes on this.
it's also being talked about in the spoiler thread by people who have played the game, and they don't see it as being handled well either. i'll stop as this seems like the wrong thread to talk about it since people may want to remain unspoiled, the spoiler thread is probably more appropriate.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
It is just one review, not the end all be all of how you should feel about the game.

Based on other impressions, it seems pretty much impossible to say one way or the other if the story is bad.
Yeah of course. The game getting to hands of gamers and them spending time with it will be the ultimate litmus test for me but it is not that the story was bad that I took away from their discussion but the way it was presented and told. They did not go into detail to avoid spoilers but it was not very flattering.

Im more of a gameplay guy myself so if the game had that going for it but lousy story/narrative then who cares but with both of those being mixed depending on who you ask, it is not the slamdunk Kojima game anymore, for me at least.