• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Day 1 regardless of review scores. And I'm not a Kojima fan by any means.

Last edited:

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the huge divergence in scores and opinions for the games makes one thing clear - this game is ART

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like the game is a bunch of nonsense that Kojima needed to release from his psyche. If you're into that, good for you!

deejay8595

Oct 30, 2017
"One particularly torturous late-game story mission required me to carry a hefty weight on my back through a visibility-masking snowstorm and over near-vertical stretches of terrain. It took me 51 minutes to complete. Spending close to an hour schlepping heavy cargo through waist-deep snow, up and down mountains, constantly pushing against fierce winds, in a pair of shoes that wear out over time isn't an enjoyable video game mission – it's a lecture your parents used to give you when you complained about having to walk to school."

Oh man lol. People are going to be pissed when they come to this part of the game.

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
6.8 isn't a negative review it is a mixed review. It is "Okay" on the IGN scale.

IGN US, UK, and AU are the same site - mixed staff. One review.

All other IGNs are different media companies and wholly different teams which is why they do their own reviews.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Despite the things some reviewers complain about, I'm really excited to play this.

Kojima should have gone for a cross-promotion with FedEx.

freetacos

Oct 30, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Man some if the reviews don't match the score at all. Even the lower scores like GI and IGN feel harsher in text form. How the fuck do you rate a game that you didn't think was fun a 7/10 or a 6.8/10?
You should already know this answer, and it's why reviews in general are broken. Most games fall between 6-10. So a 7 based on that very limited scale that is actually used is not that great.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Strangely enough, I'm more interested in playing it now than I would have been if it was scoring 10s left and right. "Your mileage may vary" games are often the most fascinating.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
For a game like this the baseline critic score is usually like an 8 to be fair.

What is the baseline for a game like this? It obviously takes far more creative risks than stuff like GoW or Gears 5, and is a new IP. I don't think a comparison with those games are apt at all. I mean they are designed for mainstream appeal...Gears 5 in particular plays it extremely safe, despite the addition of open sections - which many other AAA games have had for the past five or more years. Not necessarily a critique just that there is very little expectation that they will actually innovate in much of a meaningful and surprising way, and are judged pretty generously on that metric.

Dec 20, 2017
Man some if the reviews don't match the score at all. Even the lower scores like GI and IGN feel harsher in text form. How the fuck do you rate a game that you didn't think was fun a 7/10 or a 6.8/10?
I think part of what's holding it up is the fact the game is polished. Most games that get a very strong negative reaction on a gameplay front also have pretty serious bugs/graphical issues/etc. Death Stranding doesn't seem to have those sorts of issues, so it's keeping the score higher than usual.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I agree. MC is not a good indicator when one rates it 9.5 and other a 6.
Obviously it depends a whole lot on our taste than other products where a 9 generally means non-genre interested people should try this also.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Guys, the Metacritic average isn't representative of the actual reviews. This game seems to be extremely divisive from the reviews I have read. Either you like it or you hate it, no in-between. This just makes me want to try the game out myself to see what I personally think of it.

oh come on. Many have given it 7/10. That is exactly the "in-between".

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What were his reasons?
He refuses to do stealth and plays them as if theyre purely 80s action nostalgia panderings, and liked them pretty much just for that.

Hell, he even made a comment a couple months back about how MGS wasnt political. Even with context, that was an incredibly juvenile and dumb take on a series with themes based on nuclear deterrence.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Few low scores happen in all games.

Divisive is when you have only high and low score, like 50% of them very high and 50% of them very low. This is not the case, only couple of them are low.

But they're so low they are averaging the meta far lower than most other games.

It's definitely divisive, or at least, for a select few it is.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to be like nothing I've ever played before, and that's why I'm still day 1. We need more divisive games.
Yeah, plus a notably large amount of the positive ones are not just high but incredibly high. As many said during the leadup it may not work at all for some but if it clicks it'll be amazing and I've generally loved his games.

Pure Kojima, can't wait.

I'm so confused. The game is raining 9s, yet it's about to hit below 80?
Same lol

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Sony should have went with Kamiya if they wanted a better games. Much better track record and probably would have been 90% cheaper lol.

Anyways, I ain't buying this. If my sister does, I'll take her copy after she finishes it.

this is one of the most fascinating review scenarios i have ever seen.

sure a lot of games you might like or not, but to reach a point where some will tell you its a masterpiece and others call it "irredeemable garbage"? that is so interesting.

so this year's TLG.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
In seeing tons of absolutely stellar scores.
And a few very low ones.
Hideo was brave.
IGN was brave.

Hope no reviewer gets harassed for their opinion.
I'm probably going to love it

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just popping in to say I'm actually really happy the review scores are mixed. I'm not reading the reviews because I'm on a blackout but hopefully it means the game is doing something risky.

Oct 31, 2017
Yea that's what I'm noticing a bit of as well, it seems like a lot of people wanted to like it, can't wait to see twitter later today and hear thoughts on podcasts
I wouldn't want to be reviewer. If I really disliked a game I can see the fear of going against the grain and expecting backlash. Or what if you think the game may really be great but for you personally its a low score? Do you find a happy medium? I pity any game reviewer that has to deal with huge name releases like this. This forum is gonna have weeks of fun dissecting these scores.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
That wording! lol
image0.png

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually more interested in the game than I was before after watching the Easy Allies review by Ben Moore. It sounds like this game has some Journey vibes while exploring the world. The combat and boss fights seem to be the weakest aspect of the game which is surprising given Kojima's history. But it sounds like a really unique experience if nothing else.