• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Reading the reviews, I'm not sure what is completely new here. Walking simulators have been done, games that simulate grueling jobs have been done, asynchronous multiplayer has been done, games focused on story over gameplay have been done. I might be missing something, but it doesn't seem like the "strand" genre is completely new.

Having not played the game... here's what I gather from the impressions....

In most games you get a destination marker, travel there and actually do something at the destination.
In death stranding, from the sounds of it, the journey to the destination marker IS the game.
the obstacles you encounter along the way, be it the terrain, mountains, chasms, weather, etc and how you decide to tackle them is the hook.

the strand part of it seems to be the fact that you can find items (ladders, vehicles, etc) that other players have left behind, and things you leave behind can appear in other players games.

It sounds so interesting, and uninteresting at the same time. I can see why people say it's boring, but personally I can't wait for it.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
Interesting set of reviews to read. Most of the outlets I dislike scored it the lowest, so that actually serves as further motivation to be there day 1. I don't care if the game tests my patience at times — it's looking to offer something unique or with an interesting perspective, which is all that I ever ask from a story.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
TALENT WON

Resident Evil 2 remains the highest rated new release of 2019 on both Metacritic and Opencritic.

tumblr_pfceq6nuW61t66aclo3_500.gifv

2019 peaked REALLY early.

Then again, there's still Shenmue III.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
They probably prefer publishing games that will sell.
No More Heroes sold a lot I think. D4 was a unique spin on the telltale formula, Deadly Premonition is still top tier and I just enjoy anything those two put out.

It's a shame really but Kojima seems to have just gotten a blank check and in threeish years all he comes up with is Kevin Costner's Spooky Wildride.

I'll be also reviewing the game once pre-order unlocks, and hopefully I'll enjoy it but uh yeah I just feel giving infinite cash to those two would yield better results.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not liking this new narrative that's cropped up around criticism of this game.

"You must only like shootbang game if Death Stranding looks boring to you."

Fuck off with that elitist shit. No one in here in particular. But it's something I've seen since we've gotten more footage and it isn't going to stop now.

Unfortunately not new. That popped up as soon as we got the first substantial trailer for the game, if I remember correctly. Moronic argument, to be sure, but not surprising considering the lack of nuance and understanding that one generally finds in online discussion 🤷‍♂️

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Less concerned with the Edge score but more that 40 hours wasn't enough to see the ending. And that review embargo required you to see the ending. Wtf?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot me on this...

Resi 2 isn't winning GOTY
Seki isn't winning GOTY
DMCV isnt winning GOTY

Jedi or some Nintendo game will sneak it UNLESS I'm forgetting something

Well Resi 2 and Sekiro will at least be nominated.

But yeah now that you mention it Jedi or something might take it.

Deleted member 2793

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshot me on this...

Seki isn't winning GOTY
DMCV isnt winning GOTY
Death Stranding isn't winning GOTY

No Nintendo game not named Mario of Zelda will ever win the Game Awards. It's between RE2 and Sekiro now and I guess it's going to RE2 because it's more acessible.

Sams88

Oct 9, 2019
I'm loving the fact one mans vision, designed without any concessions to the modern AAA template, can still be a critical and commercial success.

The two games I'm picking up this quarter are Death Stranding and the rejuvenated Modern Warfare. While there'll be another CoD next year I get the impression we'll be talking about Death Stranding in another 5-10 years.

I'll put in my pre-order for Death Stranding and dig into the soundtrack. Can't wait to see what's next from Kojima.

Franco_Tech

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing reviews is like countres divided most of Europeans site five it favorable reviews but us sites destroy it.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
85 hours long for the story according to Kotaku. And most of it boring walking until the second half in the game...

Yea I'll wait for pc on this one. I already don't wanna play 30 hour games anymore, let alone 85. I don't mind some games being long if they're really engaging like Dark Souls, but big open world games with fetchquests and long walking for hours just bore me way to much.
What? No. The game is averaging at 35-50 hours, or more if you like doing side activities.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I think I'm just going to go with the digital preorder and cancel the physical collectors edition. While the scores aren't bad, some of the reviews do confirm stuff about the gameplay I was worried about.

Lol the conversation about this game at Giantbomb is going to be glorious. I just saw that clip about Jeff explaining the game in the quick look.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody should know that if you want cool games trying fresh new things, being experimental, creative and artsy, high concept and cutting-edge, the indie game scene has been providing those games on the regular for over a decade now. I can't take anyone saying so about DS and Kojima seriously, while at best they're using his popularity and platform to make it to the mainstream. But it's been there all long indeed, except without the ultra HD 4k graphics.
Indeed.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
84 Metacritic is a great score.

Just finished reading about 10 reviews. Seems like gameplay took a backseat with this title and the narrative was pushed the most for this game. Seems like you got to be in the right mindset and hungry for a narrative experience with some busy work to enjoy it.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
The entire game seems like being in the fever dream of Kojima. The gameworld is supposed to be America, but its obviously inspired by Iceland. All the people you meet seem to be people Kojima knows in real life. Its like, somewhere in there is a normal reality, but its bend, like seen through the dreams of Kojima. Thats what makes it so awesome, imo.

Wow that's cool for sure! Are the are bigger structures than that?

Well, different structures.

Is it true that there is no combat at all during the first few hours or are people exaggerating here?

Its true. The focus on combat comes much later. First 1/4th of the game def. feels totally like a mix between a David Lynch movie and a survival trek.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
It so far seems to encapsulate everything I dislike about modern video games. Barren open-worlds, fetch quests and tons of cutscenes. He said from the beginning that he was focusing on the social element, so maybe eventually the game gets more interesting, but requiring other players to make it so doesn't sound appealing at all to me. A game should already be fun to play, and having more players should be an addition, not a requirement.

I'm worried that depending on how many player's things can show up in your world the game will get too easy. Crossing a river isn't scary when there are 8 ladders spawned all across the parts most people are likely to come across. Would break the illusion of isolation this game seems to be going for. I worry the review period will be the time these elements work the best.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
this is a definitely a "watch Death Stranding: The Movie on YouTube and skip the boring bits" for me it sounds like

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding doing it in the very safe AAA space is what makes it stand out and unique.

Oh yeah, I get that. But the takes like "this is moving the medium forward" seem so disingenuous, considering quirky stuff like this has been there all along. So what they're effectively saying is that this type of art game is only meaningful it if has a massive budget.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Still relatively spoiler free about this game, so the divisive reviews only make me want to play it more (and I have never played a Kojima game). Truly good (personal) art should not appeal to everyone. It should turn off a good portion of people, even those that are the Target Audience. It sounds like a game people are going to bring up years to come both to praise and shit on it. That's going to place it in legendary status. Exciting.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loves STALKER, specifically the parts about preparation and careful inventory weight management, I haven't heard anything to dissuade me yet. I spent tons of time in that game just doing trading runs between locations and I immediately thought of it when they showed off what Death Stranding actually was.

But yeah, I listen to and watch everything Giantbomb does but I rarely agree with most of them on games. For example they have gone on and on about how they think carry limits in general are objectively bad gameplay mechanics. Zero surprise at Dan's reaction.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Neither will DS :/

But Resi 2 has a really high chance honestly.
Nothing will win GOTY this year since Shadowbringers will be robbed, honestly depending on how I like Death Stranding I doubt I'll even participate in the Era voting, there is currently just one game deserving on being on my list.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's about as divisive as I was expecting.
Screenshot me on this...

Seki isn't winning GOTY
DMCV isnt winning GOTY
Death Stranding isn't winning GOTY

I hope people don't sleep on Outer Wilds.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew from the gameplay reveal a few months ago that this may not be shaping up to the game I hoped it would be?

Like I think the production value and the story are probably bar none some of the best ever done because the game looks incredible, but I'm not a fan of tedious game mechanics and fetch quests over and over and over that usually would derail my experience in most other games. I will watch someone play this though maybe even a YouTube cutscene compilation because I am quite interested in the story.