• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

lol at jeff describing Death Stranding's premise (timestamped)

Holy fuck, hold this pizza the right way so it doesn't take damage.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately shocked at the reviews for this. I honestly thought that even though this game would be divisive with a number of outlets, it would still score no less than a 90 on Metacritic. 84 is still a very solid score, but I never thought I'd see the day where Kojima would release a triple-A game in the low 80's.

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
These reviews confirm that this game isn't for me at all, I just hope it doesn't flop.
Kojima has made some of my favourite games of all time so I'll just look forward to what he and his team do next.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Has that ever happened before what is happening or not happening with the Edge review? That is truly wild, almost didnt believe it until I saw the tweet in question myself.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019
These are very good reviews for a new IP that's coming from Kojima. I can't wait to play it day one next week!

it's only up from here for Kojima, this is a very good foundation. I'll admit i thought it was going to be rough for this game, like around 75 because of what Kojima was trying to do, but it looks like most liked the game. for a new IP this is great. I can understand if this was an older IP that used to get 90+ meta and people were disappointed with the 84 for this one. But since it's a new IP, I'll take it!
Can't wait for next week!

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Everybody should know that if you want cool games trying fresh new things, being experimental, creative and artsy, high concept and cutting-edge, the indie game scene has been providing those games on the regular for over a decade now. I can't take anyone saying so about DS and Kojima seriously, while at best they're using his popularity and platform to make it to the mainstream. But it's been there all long indeed, except without the ultra HD 4k graphics.

I mean, yeah, the indie space is always more diverse...
and that's why it's so good that DS exists.

the AAA space doesn't get many games like this, and there should be more like it.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Screenshot me on this...

Resi 2 isn't winning GOTY
Seki isn't winning GOTY
DMCV isnt winning GOTY
Death Stranding isn't winning GOTY

Jedi or some Nintendo game will sneak it UNLESS I'm forgetting something
I actually think Death Stranding has a chance despite the relatively low average, the sheer amount of perfect scores suggests that a lot of publications will give it GOTY even if many of them aren't too hot on it.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Screenshot me on this...

Resi 2 isn't winning GOTY
Seki isn't winning GOTY
DMCV isnt winning GOTY
Death Stranding isn't winning GOTY

Jedi or some Nintendo game will sneak it UNLESS I'm forgetting something
Disco Elysium (would never happen, but it deserves it.)

Regarding Death Stranding - Well, it sounds like a game that would be interesting to experience eventually, I'm quite intrigued by the fact this games seems to go for "experience" rather than "fun". But, the story appears to be complete drivel (which I suspected as much, it looked like Kojima was making stuff up on the spot) so I'll probably not buy it at full price, unless I get some very warm personal recommendations.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Have any reviews mentioned if this game opens up the possibilities to a sequel in this world or is this a one and done?

adumb

Banned
Aug 17, 2019
The Tim Rogers review is the only review I'm watching. It's the only review I needed. I'm going dark on all things Death Stranding until it drops through my door.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Oh yeah, I get that. But the takes like "this is moving the medium forward" seem so disingenuous, considering quirky stuff like this has been there all along. So what they're effectively saying is that this type of art game is only meaningful it if has a massive budget.

I mean a lot of historically important film is meshing avant-garde techniques with popular genre. A lot of the French New Wave particularly Godard's 60's output was Soviet montage film meets pulp and Kojima is seemingly doing a sort of indie sensibility version of a AAA open world game with his characteristic writing. So that's not too disingenuous.

Nov 28, 2017
I've been looking forward to this game, but was never aboard any hype-train just because of Kojima or a Hollywood all-star casting.
I guess I expected something different, but after reading many reviews (both positive and negative) I feel that this game is not something I'd enjoy playing. I do not mind the whole walking thing, but I simply need some objectives and goals, such as puzzles (like Witness, but not so abundant of course) or rewards (like No Man's Sky or similar).

After this morning, I've deleted it from my wishlist, I think the best case scenario of me playing this is if (when) it's on PS+ sometime in 2022.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The thing that resonated with me the most about GB's impressions is the idea that while it's cool that this game is trying fresh new things, there are a lot of small experimental games out there coming out every day that do incredibly creative, high concept and cutting-edge stuff. These, unfortunately, don't get the kind of spotlight DS does and there are very few places you hear about them.
Everybody should know that if you want cool games trying fresh new things, being experimental, creative and artsy, high concept and cutting-edge, the indie game scene has been providing those games on the regular for over a decade now. I can't take anyone saying so about DS and Kojima seriously, while at best they're using his popularity and platform to make it to the mainstream. But it's been there all long indeed, except without the ultra HD 4k graphics.
Yuuuup

wonzo

Oct 25, 2017
They should have gotten Swery or Suda to do a 1st party game for Sony rather than Kojima. But hey I guess making third person cinematic games is more important than quality fun times.

That and Sony got brownie points for yeartfor helping out a Kojima messed over by Konami
they can easily do both these things

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
""As the credits roll on Death Stranding, heavy with unearned pathos, the impression you're left with is of a self-congratulatory monument to the ego of a creator who is high on his own supply. Has Kojima always been this full of it? Maybe""

exactly my take

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Having not played the game... here's what I gather from the impressions....

In most games you get a destination marker, travel there and actually do something at the destination.
In death stranding, from the sounds of it, the journey to the destination marker IS the game.
the obstacles you encounter along the way, be it the terrain, mountains, chasms, weather, etc and how you decide to tackle them is the hook.

the strand part of it seems to be the fact that you can find items (ladders, vehicles, etc) that other players have left behind, and things you leave behind can appear in other players games.

It sounds so interesting, and uninteresting at the same time. I can see why people say it's boring, but personally I can't wait for it.

Yeah, I totally get why people are hyped for this, but I know it probably won't be for me. For comparison, Sunset Overdrive for me is an open world game I love where the journey is so fun I can get lost in it, but Death Stranding doesn't seem the same. And I'm one of those people who really doesn't like Red Dead Redemption 2 :P. The asynchronous multiplayer does sound neat though. Might lead to some cool stuff depending on the creativity of the community and how the tool set works.

Darksol

Oct 28, 2017
Japan
I couldn't disagree with that IGN quote more.

On paper, yes, but it's the mechanics that completely change things up.

Here's the thing - most open world games focus on what happens when you arrive at your destination. The space between the objective and starting point is useless, empty space - you hold forward on the stick and you go. There's not usually much there.

Death Stranding inverts that - the arrival at your way point isn't usually the payoff - it's the journey.

Here's some examples..

I need to reach my objective in a stony field with large chasms running through it. I had a lot of things to carry and could barely walk with them so I loaded everything into a truck and hit the road. Unfortunately, I tried to jump a large chasm and missed - the truck fell into the chasm. Ruined, I climbed out of it and tried to consider my options. However, this commotion triggered a nearby camp (they have these pylons which scan for cargo). You can hear them above the chasm and then they start climbing down after me. So I open up the truck inventory quickly, grab a few supplies for combat and run.

Then I spent time taking out the patrol one by one (non-lethal - since killing leads to a voidout which blows a huge crater in the map).

After dispatching them, I returned to the truck and transported things piece by piece up the side of the chasm back to the surface. Carrying everything would be too difficult so I made my way to the bandit camp where the enemies had arrived from. Managed to steal one of their trucks and get back to my pile of stuff where I could load it up. I was able to continue my delivery route to the next way point until BTs appeared and the battery on the truck ran low (and since I wasn't in the Chrial network, I couldn't build a charge station). So I grabbed the key items for the mission and continued on foot, sneaking through BTs. Eventually, I made it to the top of a mountain (looking something like Mars at this point) and used the steep terrain as an excuse to run down the hill while trying to keep balance. Then - the objective was reached.

A simple little story but it's this type of occurrence - things going wrong on the road - that makes for such a memorable time.

This is my favourite review in the thread and reaffirms that I'm making the right decision to be there on day 1. This is a game about the journey, even when it's gruelling at times.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I woke up by like 3am this topic was on like 25 pages now it's more than 70. Jesus Christ!!!

Anyway I'm still probably get it cus I need something new to play on PS4. 80 is a great score.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Out of the five likely GOTY winners (this, Sekiro, Disco Elysium, Three Houses, DMCV),
This list is really off. I loved Disco Elysium but it's not winning any GOTY award, maybe from some PC-only small website. And DMC5 even with the good Metacritic is not the kind of game that wins GOTYs. RE2 will be, maybe some Sekiro and some Nintendo game (FE and LM3 mostly).

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Reviews so far seem to confirm every suspicion I had about the game: While it looks to be a grandiose world building and narrative achievement, in an obscure auteur movie kind of way, I'm going to be bored out of my mind playing this. No thanks. I'm sure some people will love this. For example it's like if someone made an entire 40-hour game around insta-death stealth gameplay. I'm sure some people would love it, but not me.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The review text affirms a lot of worries I had about the game and doesn't match up with the scores imo. I really think I'm gonna hate this, will probably watch a story LP or something instead.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
After all these divisive opinions I hope his next game is a mecha combat game called Area of the Starters. Please.

adz2ka

Nov 1, 2017
The entire game seems like being in the fever dream of Kojima. The gameworld is supposed to be America, but its obviously inspired by Iceland. All the people you meet seem to be people Kojima knows in real life. Its like, somewhere in there is a normal reality, but its bend, like seen through the dreams of Kojima. Thats what makes it so awesome, imo.

Well, different structures.

Its true. The focus on combat comes much later. First 1/4th of the game def. feels totally like a mix between a David Lynch movie and a survival trek.

I said right from the start that the terrain is eerily close to Iceland - I bet there's a ton of terrain scanning of Iceland during the development of this. Watching a lot of previews, this game could easily just have been set in Vatnajokull National Park!

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Any reviews mention og PS4 performance?
not og ps4, but its apparently its very stable on ps4 pro according to digital foundry. they will have a second video comparing to base ps4 performance in the coming days, but considering its decima engine, it might be like with horizon when the game perfromed pretty much exactly the same on both systems.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
By the looks of it, The Outer Worlds is going to end up being a lot of people's GOTY. Pretty sure the giantbomb crew are going to go with that.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not liking this new narrative that's cropped up around criticism of this game.

"You must only like shootbang game if Death Stranding looks boring to you."

Fuck off with that elitist shit. No one in here in particular. But it's something I've seen since we've gotten more footage and it isn't going to stop now.

Agreed, This is always a lazy critique when someone doesn't like a slower game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Holy fuck, hold this pizza the right way so it doesn't take damage.

giphy.gif
I have to say, it's amusing that you have to deliver the pizza in 30 minutes or less.

It's just like one of my Japanese animes real-life menial jobs that nobody ever wishes they were doing with their free time.