• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Kojima be like: "Let the players design your levels"
giphy.gif
It is an interesting idea though. Especially with what it's about.
But then again, if the core game is about traversing the world and fighting the nature to connect people and in a year you can just wander or drive on a road - will it be fun to play?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
A lot of reviews criticizing the same thing. I have no issue with it being a literal delivery game but if the pay off is hit or miss and the story is up it's own ass I don't know.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Well these reviews were a bummer to wake up to. :(

Still looking forward to it (on pc), the vast majority of games people and websites praise these days are completely boring and/or terrible for me, so this might just click with me even if it doesn't with the general gaming crowd.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Watched the Easy Allies and IGN reviews gutted about the gameplay loop was right to cancel my pre-order after viewing the TGS footage. Looks beautiful though but the idea of being a delivery guy doesn't appeal at full price. One of things that tired me out with RDR was all the travel needed, it seems DS would need allot of time invested in that area.

See the thing is, in red dead all the traversal is literally paid off by dozens of side quests that have cutscenes, interesting dynamic events, reaching new locations etc...

In DS there's nothing as it's just empty, the traversal *is* the point. And it's not meant to always feel nice. So it's why some reviewers hate it, it's because if you don't manage to connect and click with the game, it feels like all you do is a chore with no redeeming aspect to it.

And if you do click you feel the struggle of the character, and you really enjoy the asynchronous coop, and how to make your traversal easier by building etc...

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Kojima is aiming to be the Kubrick, Malick or Arososky of video games. The gameplay sounds like it would bore me to years but I hope other people enjoy it.

EffettoNotte

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 17, 2019
Some reviews are embarassing. The fact that journalists and people want that all games have be "fun to play" is what keep videogames a second tier medium. Basically they want the videogame to be always a toy in the hands of a child.

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody should know that if you want cool games trying fresh new things, being experimental, creative and artsy, high concept and cutting-edge, the indie game scene has been providing those games on the regular for over a decade now. I can't take anyone saying so about DS and Kojima seriously, while at best they're using his popularity and platform to make it to the mainstream. But it's been there all long indeed, except without the ultra HD 4k graphics.

Yeah, this needs to be heard more.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Because it's not a combat game?

Honestly, people's reactions to this game are so frustrating. There are lots of games out there where you navigate an open world and shoot people. This isn't one of them.

Most games sound fun when you read the reviews, this isn't one of them (imo and it seems a lot of people's). It has nothing to do with the lack of shooting/combat, if anything the reviews make that sound like that's the worst part of the game. The mechanics of this game sound like they might be fun for a $15 indie game that only last a few hours, but 40+ hours of it at full price sounds and looks like it'll get old.

I know personally I find most open world games to get pretty boring after a dozen hours or so and I largely drop them at that point, or start smashing that fast travel button. A game that puts emphasis on the part of open world games I normally find boring already is not a winning combination.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Looks like a very polarising game. 84 on metacritic and will probably settle on 80 which is decent. But it's not a regular 80. It's a game you'll probably give 1/10 or 10/10. I like the look of it so I'm probably in the latter. Not out for a few days so I'm not sure if I'll get it day 1 yet or in a December sale.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I hope next game from Kojima is on more limited budget and without Hollywood gallery.

peppersky

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I'm currently listening to the beastcast and it really doesn't sound like the story goes anywhere particularly interesting or says anything noteworthy, which is probably the biggest criticism you could give a game like this.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Divisive as I thought it would be. Score is about where I thought too, though. Still interested.

GreenEarth

alt account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Looks like a very polarising game. 84 on metacritic and will probably settle on 80 which is decent. But it's not a regular 80. It's a game you'll probably give 1/10 or 10/10. I like the look of it so I'm probably in the latter. Not out for a few days so I'm not sure if I'll get it day 1 yet or in a December sale.
It's trending upwards on opencritic (86 now), so I don't think meta will go from 84 that it is now down to 80.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
reviews are all over the place but I'm seeing a lot of average scores...graphics are getting high praise (especially the character models) but overall it's as I feared regarding gameplay...I took this from one of the reviews which seems to sum it up pretty well...

"The biggest problem for Death Stranding is that the bulk of the gameplay has you manually lugging masses of near-identical crates across the massive map, to drop at identical warehouses for lots of bland holographic side characters...As HUGE Metal Gear Solid and Kojima fans, we were really hoping Death Stranding would be his magnum opus, but overall its story is bloated, lacks his kooky Kojima magic and the overall gameplay just isn't fun enough

There are definitely some really interesting ideas and concepts surrounding the core gameplay – mainly the asynchronous multiplayer, and perhaps this could evolve more once the world has access, a bit like his nuclear disarmament idea from Metal Gear Online...while Death Stranding creates interesting allegories for rebuilding America, connecting with strangers and working together towards a common goal, it's far from an Earth-shattering new genre some have hoped for

Tragically, the novel multiplayer element is underused and under-applied in the overall game.Shop now Buy Death Stranding special edition PS4It pains us to say this, but Death Stranding is more like an elaborate sim for being a one-man Amazon Prime delivery service for the whole of America...despite the beautiful graphics, masterful soundtrack, solid voice acting and fun combat, it's not enough to counterbalance how much of a chore lugging around boxes is"

Cookie Dough

Oct 29, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Trolling, ignoring the staff post
Luigi's Mansion 3 is higher rated than the super-hyped Kojima fever dream.

I love it.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
As expected, I was right on the money with my prediction. So far at least. I'm staying far and away from this game.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Some reviews are embarassing. The fact that journalists and people want that all games have be "fun to play" is what keep videogames a second tier medium. Basically they want the videogame to be always a toy in the hands of a child.
If the story is awful and the combat is awful... why would you keep playing? oh yeah it looks pretty..

rabathehutch

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, I don't think I'll be buying this day 1.

Credit to Sony for backing this in a major way but I don't have the time to commit to a game that sounds flat-out bad for the first 6-8 hours and that I won't finish for another 40+ hours.

I'm sure this game will hit for lots of people but I just don't think it will click with me.

Reviewing a game like this strikes me as really difficult let alone scoring it on a scale from 1 - 100. By the way Rob's review over at Waypoint is really great but seems to go against the common sentiment.

Nov 11, 2017
Seems like most of the smaller/fan websites loved the game!, bigger sites mostly were mixed or disliked it. Crazy ranges

JoeNut

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Interesting set of reviews and not that surprising that they're mostly extremes one way or the other.
My impression from them all though is that this game doesn't respect the players time. As someone who doesn't have all that much time to play anyway, I won't be buying it. I'll probably watch the highlights on YouTube or something

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these reviews are rough. Maybe I'll get the game on PC later if there's some funky stuff that can be moded in.