• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Getting the PC version.
Come on, that's totally unfair...how you played the game?

How can the score numbers be "pure bullshit" if you don't even know if you like the game or not?

Or is it that you wish those numbers were lower because "reasons", and you lash out against Metacritic, and hence the reviewers, in retaliation?

From reading the reviews, I do not agree with the scores at the end of the reviews. That is all.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
It's funny, the fact that reviews are so "divisive" has actually made me more hyped for the game. I'll either end up hating it or loving it and that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Oct 27, 2017
Betting on somewhere between 75 and 85. And I'm still not quite sure what the game is about, besides Reedus trying to reconnect a fragmented society by delivering packages?

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Warned: Console Warring
Well that explains why it's on PC. Not a must have and reviews will kill sales.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
  • I don't even think they like video games.
  • They only like COD and other dumb games.
  • They hate Kojima.
  • I miss Ryan.
Did I miss something?

Do you believe those things about them? Would explain their attitude.

They tend to give off that vibe, but they latch onto weird stuff regularly as well — like with Deadly Premonition 2 recently. I definitely disagree with them more often than not, but I can usually also get why they don't like something. Sometimes they're just flat out wrong about things though :')

I've spent a lot of time with other professional reviewers and a lot of them tend to give that vibe tbh. It's kind of annoying, reminds me of the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
This game has had me thinking on the "games have to be fun argument". I vehemently disagree games have to be fun, but they like every piece of art, they do have to be engaging. You can be engaging in games in several different ways. Mechanics, story, lore, world exploration. I can see how Death Stranding is engaging, even if it may not be for me.
Well put.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Goty awards thread will be a warzone. Everybody thought deathstranding would take most of the awards.
Geoff Keighley will hack his own awards to make it win just so he can rekindle his BFF with Kojima-chan.

I think he's actually jealous. He tweeted about the game and the only like I saw from those I follow was Naomi Kyle. He even tweeted at Kojima but no return, bwaaa!

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Why waste your time trying to convince someone that comes in this thread to post that?

I find the term walking simulator to be disrespectful when a game is striving for something way more than just that. I think Death Stranding would be one of those games where people would change their negative perception of the game when they actually play it.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
It so far seems to encapsulate everything I dislike about modern video games. Barren open-worlds, fetch quests and tons of cutscenes.

Yep, yep and yep. All the scenes I've watched looked terrible too, bad dialogue and mocap animation, like a cheesy anime.

Easy game for me to pass on. I'm curious to see how people look back on this game a few years later though.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How different the vibe is in here compared to the outer worlds and Luigi Mansion thread. In there mid 80s is great, here it's a flop lol
Because there a quite a few people who dislike Kojima and wanted this to be a failure from the very beginning on.
Anyway, the scores are amazing, especially for a game that tries to push the boundaries and provides a completely unique experience.

Oct 30, 2017
One thing we all knew was that the game would be incredibly divisive. And it also seems like all the gameplay we've seen is representative of the final product

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Reviews as expected. Overall good but some hard outliners.

It was obvious that this isnt a game for everyone. Personally i cant wait. Sounds like my kind of game.

Sometimes i prefer a game that tries to be different and is not as safe as possible.

Kratos2013

Jan 25, 2018
I can't but wonder, "if this game was made by another developer, and this was the result, would we have the same reactions?"

Cutscenes look impressive, characters look greatly detailed--especially seeing recognizable actors and Guillermo del Toro; environments look barren but beautifully presented and very interesting at times. The gameplay... well, there's some variations there by most reviews accounts... but in the biggest scale, is the game great?

Lately we - as a community, have become quick to judge and go really hard when smaller developers or big ones dont deliver a fun, perfectly expected product. We go on and on pointing out their every flaw and lack of innovation, or the opposite, changes to gameplay or style usually forgetting to recognize their efforts to do something different, or to bring something new.

I'm sure at some point I will play Death Stranding. Right now I'm just confused. I just kind of wish the same treatment we give Kojima was given to everyone.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 100% down for this. I read very little to avoid spoilers, or even avoid too much non-spoiler foreknowledge, but it sounds really interesting. I love "boredom" in games - long quiet periods, simple goals with complicated solutions, stuff like that. Plus I also love sort of weird feeling character controls, like Red Dead Redemption 2, where it's possible to slip and fall down a hill. Sounds like a game I'm going to love.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A bit higher than my 81 meta prediction. In other words, it's not a masterpiece but it's still solid. Either way, it's great for a first effort on an entirely new IP, working on a new engine, as a new studio. And with only 80 devs too.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Schindler's List is engaging every step of the way.

If a movie is actively wanting to elicit boredom, that movie has failed.

Schindler's list is also a movie of a few hours length, and also a movie I would have to be in the right mindset to actually watch. Movie's are much shorter so I don't think the comprison is apt to this.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
This game has had me thinking on the "games have to be fun argument". I vehemently disagree games have to be fun, but they like every piece of art, they do have to be engaging. You can be engaging in games in several different ways. Mechanics, story, lore, world exploration. I can see how Death Stranding is engaging, even if it may not be for me.
Well they have to be entertaining which means fun. I think there's kind of a fallacy that 'fun' means explosions and being colourful like a Nintendo game, all critics seem to have a game they like that doesn't fall into that category like Shenmue, Journey or Telltale's The Walking Dead. If Death Stranding isn't entertaning then it just isn't fun.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
There are "boring" movies too(Valhalla rising), doesn't mean they failed in some arbiter way.

hah

I disliked Valhalla Rising to the point I didn't bother finishing it, so that's a failure in my eyes. Although to be honest the only Refn movie I've watched that I actually liked is Drive.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
Game went into the "maybe I'll buy when it's $29.99" after skimming through that one hour presentation trying to find gameplay combat section.

I understand it's your boy Kojima, but I'm not going to go ape shit just because he slaps his name on his products.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Some reviewer reactions are hilarious but not in the way they're intended to be. A few of them are bored out of their minds with their jobs and jaded with video games and an AAA one comes along challenging them (by being boring occasionally on the surface apparently) and they completely mock it.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
I'm not liking this new narrative that's cropped up around criticism of this game.

"You must only like shootbang game if Death Stranding looks boring to you."

Fuck off with that elitist shit. No one in here in particular. But it's something I've seen since we've gotten more footage and it isn't going to stop now.

yeh, people need to get of their high horse

'oh you must like cod', yes I do, what's the problem?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Very mixed impressions. I was sceptical and still am. Saw a video where you lose all your goods while traversing and fighting. I can see how having to manage all this can be an important concept but will I be pissed off by it quickly when my packages run down the river stream? Possibly. Still unsure whether the game tells a compelling story, I thought reconnecting cities in a fractured world sounded like a cool idea, but I'm not sure how much meat the game has in this aspect. Given it's Kojima, I thought it must be a strength of the game, but now I'm unsure. Also, I'm pretty busy with life so I might just jump in some time later.

Let me say one thing though: I'm glad Death Stranding exists. We need more ideas, more creativity and breaking outside the usual paths to advance gaming. I'm just not sure if this game really does it. And I never liked the term walking simulator, I've had great experiences with these type of games and they are definitely about much more than walking...

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I can't but wonder, "if this game was made by another developer, and this was the result, would we have the same reactions?"

Cutscenes look impressive, characters look greatly detailed--especially seeing recognizable actors and Guillermo del Toro; environments look barren but beautifully presented and very interesting at times. The gameplay... well, there's some variations there by most reviews accounts... but in the biggest scale, is the game great?

Lately we - as a community, have become quick to judge and go really hard when smaller developers or big ones dont deliver a fun, perfectly expected product. We go on and on pointing out their every flaw and lack of innovation, or the opposite, changes to gameplay or style usually forgetting to recognize their efforts to do something different, or to bring something new.

I'm sure at some point I will play Death Stranding. Right now I'm just confused. I just kind of wish the same treatment we give Kojima was given to everyone.

There is DEFINITELY some of that going on

Some of the reviews fucking read like slanted hit pieces on Kojima and the games promotion and less about the game itself

Not saying there aren't plenty of criticisms but its looking like the game is less divisive on average than you would reasonably expect from a Kojima game

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
One particularly torturous late-game story mission required me to carry a hefty weight on my back through a visibility-masking snowstorm and over near-vertical stretches of terrain. It took me 51 minutes to complete. Spending close to an hour schlepping heavy cargo through waist-deep snow, up and down mountains, constantly pushing against fierce winds, in a pair of shoes that wear out over time isn't an enjoyable video game mission – it's a lecture your parents used to give you when you complained about having to walk to school

Is it just me or does this damning excerpt from IGN instead sound...awesome? Like I get that it might sound beyond tedious to some, but to someone like me who loves this kind of stuff it sounds cozy af. My favorite hours of breath of the wild were spent ignoring fast travel shortcuts and carving my own path through the world, making decisions about how to climb a certain mountain or how to reach a distant location and dealing with the weather along the way. Of course in BOTW that exploration was supplemental to the actual game, where in DS it seems like it IS the actual game so it probably weighs thin much much quicker.

I'm just glad that we're at a point where such an expensive specifically wild oddball game like this can exist, one that doesn't really give much of a shit about pleasing everyone.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yo yo yo yo that IGN review has a score that's almost as bad as Alien: Isolation, and that game I loved. Maybe the same thing will apply here! lol

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some reviews are embarassing. The fact that journalists and people want that all games have be "fun to play" is what keep videogames a second tier medium. Basically they want the videogame to be always a toy in the hands of a child.
Yet this didn't keep Ico, a game where you fight as an untrained boy with a stick protecting a helpless girl, from getting a 90 metacritic and inspiring the gaming world. Not many would say Ico is exactly fun, but it is engrossing as an experience.

For those reviewers, Kojima failed to give them an engrossing experience.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About what I expected from Kojima. Seemingly the game has a lot of touches of brilliance, but hidden underneat dozens of hours of repetitive gameplay and overexposition cutscenes. Sums up my experience with latter MGS games. Not a game for me.

Varth

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I get it, it's a divisive game. Now I only need to understand if it's divisive for being daring or for the players love/hate relation with Kojima

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So the main game play loop is a delivery simulator with ridiculous inventory management. You traverse the world where you can interact with other user placed objects (Bridges, ropes, roads etc, whether these are useful items or people trolling you) which give you the ability to maintain, like, dislike (even set signs to say do not use if they are troll object ?) and you have upgrade abilities to increase the "like" window (where you can spam like as many times you want till the timer runs out).

So a game set for travel and traversal of delivery quests, a mass open environment giving a sense of solitude and then interacting with user objects with social media like qualities (liking, disliking etc). That sounds like a total conflict and impacting of the immersion that this game should have.

Not for me this one.

Premium

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NC
"My pizza is now taking damage".

It so far seems to encapsulate everything I dislike about modern video games. Barren open-worlds, fetch quests and tons of cutscenes. He said from the beginning that he was focusing on the social element, so maybe eventually the game gets more interesting, but requiring other players to make it so doesn't sound appealing at all to me. A game should already be fun to play, and having more players should be an addition, not a requirement.

Agreed. And attempting to lean on the support of "artistic expression" when you've adopted near universally loathed game mechanics of the modern era as a foundation of the core gameplay loop, well, you end up with a mediocre review score. And mediocre relative to expectations, investment and talent put into the title (for those questioning).