• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Unlike Death Stranding this thread became entertaining in under 24 hours.
1NSF.gif

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously can't believe we're batting for IGN now of all people.

And also can't believe people are defending that edge guy for not finishing the game when it's his job to do so. At the very least he could review what he's done up until that point. Does he also not finish games that he would score lower than
a 5?

its embarrassing all around.
he's gonna finish it and give it a 2 and you'll be ashamed of your words and deeds

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Those people are idiots. Classic gamers being blinded by stupid hype. They never change. They never mature. The cycle repeats.

I honestly can't imagine the mind of the child who saw ANY of the pre-release coverage that included actual gameplay and thought this was going to be GOTY.

This game turned out to be exactly what was shown. There is a reason why no one could figure out what the hell was going on. It was because there is nothing going on. Your carry shit from one place to another. Since that's so obnoxiously boring, carrying stuff is made difficult. Then throw in some Kojima nonsense and that seems to be the entire game.

What was shown is what we got.

and it is exactly what I wanted.
I get that some might not like or even hate the gameplay and the story but I am sure I will have a damn good time with it.
The game's OT will be crazy though...

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
Those people are idiots. Classic gamers being blinded by stupid hype. They never change. They never mature. The cycle repeats.

I honestly can't imagine the mind of the child who saw ANY of the pre-release coverage that included actual gameplay and thought this was going to be GOTY.

This game turned out to be exactly what was shown. There is a reason why no one could figure out what the hell was going on. It was because there is nothing going on. Your carry shit from one place to another. Since that's so obnoxiously boring, carrying stuff is made difficult. Then throw in some Kojima nonsense and that seems to be the entire game.

Piss Kojima off? Uh no. I don't think anyone cares about that.

It's more like some reviewers were scared to give the point score at a level that matched their text because it's such a massively hyped game.

I and other called it so many times, only to get shouted down. There was so many red, flashing warning signs about the game's quality, there really just isn't any excuse.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously can't believe we're batting for IGN now of all people.

And also can't believe people are defending that edge guy for not finishing the game when it's his job to do so. At the very least he could review what he's done up until that point. Does he also not finish games that he would score lower than
a 5?

its embarrassing all around.
While I get your point the fact they don't want to finish it tells you everything you need to know their end, you don't need a number attached to it.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Ok, let me put it like this. I play No Man's Sky, the whole game is based on resource gathering all the time, you do the same shit over and over again with slightly different scenery. It's a tedious task, but if they were to set out to eliminate all the tedium within that, would I settle into a peculiar state of relaxation, taking in the sounds of the environment and music, would I feel like stopping on a hill and taking it all in while the game would try to get my attention with sensory overload so that I don't become bored... that would hurt the experience. I think that is objectively true, but how can I say that with certainty when it's my experience. There's no eliminating the subjective experience, but when tedium is part of the experience and used deliberately, when there's intentionally nothing instead of something and that is intended to serve the mood and design, then that can be a strength.
Plus whatever they'd try to do to alleviate the tedium would eventually become part of the tedium, that seems inherent in a video game if you don't stop playing it, but that's a whole other can of worms.
Right, but then "relaxing" would be the operative word, or the game finding an optimal level of engagement make it serene to play, keep your attention but not demanding total focus. "Tedious" seems to imply passing that barrier into boredom/frustration that makes it negative experience, even if you like low tempo games, which i think many people do. Sure, a bit of tedium could have purpose in a larger context, if its supposed to be a contrast to other aspects of the game, but as far as I know, the things described as "tedious" make up most of the gameplay loop.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I sort of expected the game to get some very high review scores and some pretty low review scores, it is just one of those games.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
How many websites with 10/10s anyone heard of?

Stevivor always is one of those websites who get review copies early, I genuinely have no idea how you can say that when they are always on OC and MC.

Lol come there's a reason the game is a 85 and not a 65, the 3.5 is an outlier, you get a 85 when most of the scores are 8 and 9.

And ofc I knew most of the publications that gave the game a 10 whereas I never heard of Steve.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
Unrelated story:

When I was 14 Twilight had just come out and I was convinced it was the worst thing ever to happen to "literature". I was a little shit about it and I wouldn't shut up about how much I hated it. However, I hadn't read it, so my mother bought a paperback copy for $4 and locked me in my room until I finished it. When I came out of that room I hated it 1000x more than when I went in, but at least I could articulate why I hated it.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched the IGN vid review and he has a perfectly valid argument for his experience. From the footage and the words I can also see that he wished nothing more than run through this game at all times. If you want to run and "get to somewhere" in a game that others have described as the getting to somewhere is not the exciting part, it's all the things that happen on the way, then you might insist on the game being something else from what it is and then I am not surprised that you have a bad experience. It doesn't make this review invalid, in fact it makes it highly valuable for all the people who can relate and I'm glad IGN went with it, but I am not that person. I will look at a moss texture for 5 minutes while Sam's taking a nap and then I'm gonna grab my backpack by the straps and slowly inch down a hill while soft music plays and I'm gonna enjoy it cause that's what this game wants me to do and I have no objections.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Piss Kojima off? Uh no. I don't think anyone cares about that.

It's more like some reviewers were scared to give the point score at a level that matched their text because it's such a massively hyped game.
this is such an extremely toxic and unpleasant post. i don't understand why we can't just discuss the game without getting into personal attacks on people who enjoyed it or were looking forward to it. reading a review doesn't mean you played the game.

i really enjoyed it. is that a crime? should i be hauled off to gaming jail?

Mar 29, 2018
I find it weird that we're suddenly treating adjectives that are traditionally negative as if they're something positive. If I said something is boring, the implication would be that it isn't good, but someone will now try to say that boring is good to them? There's no need to try to twist adjectives that have a negative connotation into a good one. Tedious has never been a word that suggests something good. No one says, "my job is fucking tedious, I love it."
The point I think is that games can be compelling in multiple ways and differently to different people. E.g countless people find RDR2 absolutely tedious. For others, the sense of immersion and atmosphere more than make up for slow/flawed gameplay.

In this case, one person's "boring" could be anothers "relaxing", "thought provoking" or even "addictive".

Idk. People are weird, man.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
Unrelated story:

When I was 14 Twilight had just come out and I was convinced it was the worst thing ever to happen to "literature". I was a little shit about it and I wouldn't shut up about how much I hated it. However, I hadn't read it, so my mother bought a paperback copy for $4 and locked me in my room until I finished it. When I came out of that room I hated it 1000x more than when I went in, but at least I could articulate why I hated it.
Why did your mom lock you in a room and force you to read a book? No wonder you hated it.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
From what i could gather: The reviews from 3 to 6 are from reviewers that don't seem to have bothered to finish the game and the 10 to 8 scores from people that actually did their jobs?
Not all games need to show us their full scopes in the first few hours or be about shooting down the bad guys with action setpieces in the middle.

Sounds to me this game is just separating the good reviewers from people that don't do their jobs right. A little rough to say but it's what i gathered from reading like 5 or 6 reviews.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The point I think is that games can be compelling in multiple ways and differently to different people. E.g countless people find RDR2 absolutely tedious. For others, the sense of immersion and atmosphere more than make up for slow/flawed gameplay.

In this case, one person's "boring" could be anothers "relaxing", "thought provoking" or even "addictive".

Idk. People are weird, man.
Yes, exactly, and I understand that, but people need to find a different way to describe the shit they enjoy then because tedious is not a positive. It's never been. Relaxing would more appropriately describe this type of game for people who enjoy it. lol

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Death stranding is the video game equivalent of The last jedi in terms of public reaction.

Sorry guys

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I sort of expected the game to get some very high review scores and some pretty low review scores, it is just one of those games.

Yeah buy it's actually a lot of very high review scores and a few low ones, that's why the average is 85 and not 50.

Think about there reversed case, getting a 15...how consistently low the scores would have to be to average that number

Ultraviolence

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what i could gather: The reviews from 3 to 6 are from reviewers that don't seem to have bothered to finish the game and the 10 to 8 scores from people that actually did their jobs?
Not all games need to show us their full scopes in the first few hours or be about shooting down the bad guys with action setpieces in the middle.

Sounds to me this game is just separating the good reviewers from people that don't do their jobs right. A little rough to say but it's what i gathered from reading like 5 or 6 reviews.
I did notice that too but it might be that the check didn't clear on time for some reviewers while it did for others?

Ion Stream

Oct 31, 2017
After checking the reviews, and listening to some impressions I can say for certain I am glad I passed on this. Does not sound fun at all for me. Each to their own and all that

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So the very core gameplay loop is essentially just hiking with some boxes on your back?
Absolutely. The amount of people convincing themselves that it was more than that with some sort of MGS2 twist is kinda shocking. We've been telling you all this time that it's an extremely robust walking simulator (I don't use this in the derogatory fashion) with detailed systems and a 'strong' (your mileage may vary) story and a beautiful world. That's legit all I could ask for.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well over half a million views, damn. Seems a lot of people were riding on the reviews.

I just hope that people who are still interested give it a shot for themselves, rather than letting a few people who didn't like it make that decision for them.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
We are at the point where people are so upset by reviews and reactions to a game they haven't played they are telling journalists and critics what their job is.

i agree

but I can tell you this much....This game has brought up the issue of completing a game before reviewing.

the acknowledgment of people saying they won't even have a review based on the fact that it's a requirement to finish the game is very interesting.

I personally don't think it should be a requirement to complete games in order to review them. However, I do feel it should be mandatory when you review a game you state you have not completed the game if you haven't.

Oct 27, 2017
The World

No, that is not the case.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the bosses are the most disappointing thing so far.

however at least they're there, unlike MGSV lol. And I'm certain some will be memorable.