• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Another female voice (in German) from a pretty big site: https://www.giga.de/test/im-test-death-stranding-ist-ein-meisterwerk-das-ihr-hassen-werdet/
We really lack female reviewers over here. Have fun with google translate. The conclusion. "Death Stranding is a masterpiece you will hate." - 9/10
Marina fully explains what the BBs are, insists that you need to finish the game to like it (that´s new) and that it transcends the medium. She further argues that the way the MP works may start a genre.

Edit: Forgot. It´s a GOTY contender for the site and her GOTY. It´s fair to say that European critics love DS now that I looked at some other outlets. I don´t look forward to the usual US vs The World review discussions.

Last edited:

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
in case people were interested, here's a thread with reviews from women and nb folk who were assigned to Death Stranding. all of the reviews in this thread are broadly positive, and I'm hoping people can link me to some more critical reviews from women/nb people.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I realize Abby didn't write the review for Giant Bomb, but she did play the game and also intensely disliked it and quit, since that review seems to be getting brought up a lot.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
in case people were interested, here's a thread with reviews from women and nb folk who were assigned to Death Stranding. all of the reviews in this thread are broadly positive, and I'm hoping people can link me to some more critical reviews from women/nb people.

This quote from the ShackNews review that said if the story were a film it'd be an Oscar contender :o

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I realize Abby didn't write the review for Giant Bomb, but she did play the game and also intensely disliked it and quit, since that review seems to be getting brought up a lot.
did she? i'm interested to hear her thoughts. i just saw her post on twitter "i don't care about the game" which I interpreted as saying she hasn't played it or wasn't interested in playing it

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

That's pretty interesting. Seems to be on the whole very positive. Quite shocking how few there are though. 80+ reviews and only 7 of them are by women? That's pretty pittiful.

On a side note, excuse my ignorance but what does nb folk refer to?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty interesting. Seems to be on the whole very positive. Quite shocking how few there are though. 80+ reviews and only 7 of them are by women? That's pretty pittiful.

On a side note, excuse my ignorance but what does nb folk refer to?
nonbinary. and yeah it's an issue for sure. i think the Kotaku review is one of the most well-written reviews I've read in a while. I love Heather's writing style. i think it's kind of interesting which voices are amplified and which are mostly ignored. you certainly don't get any idea from reading this thread the spectrum of opinion and diversity of voices speaking on this game.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
nonbinary. and yeah it's an issue for sure. i think the Kotaku review is one of the most well-written reviews I've read in a while. I love Heather's writing style. i think it's kind of interesting which voices are amplified and which are mostly ignored. you certainly don't get any idea from reading this thread the spectrum of opinion and diversity of voices speaking on this game.
All the more intrigued to play now at midnight, some really well thought out perspectives in that tweet! Tks for highlighting it...

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
No youve been constantly moaning about reactions to it on this board which is why I'm not the only one in here who called you out for it. No one said someone isn't allowed to enjoy the game so idk why you thought your passive aggressive sarcasm in that post was even warranted other than to demonstrate how sensitive you are to the game being divisive.

I'm getting the game too. I will play the shit out of it. I also don't feel the need to make petty posts like yours because I'm upset others don't like it.
Yea it's cool that you feel that way too, but here's the thing:

I don't feel a need to shit on a piece of media I haven't personally consumed and have no interest in, which, while annoying at first, has turned into pure hilarity for me. It's entertaining, and the same way people feel free to spew bullshit to pass the time, I'm free to comment as I see fit on their bullshit to pass the time.

You also free to misinterpret my words and intent as wildly as you like, it's your prerogative.

Protip: If you don't like my posts, the good people at ResetEra provided a shiny ignore button for that exact reason. I've recently begun to exercise it and it's done wonders. Guarantee you won't be the first or the last my good man/woman. You're also free to continue to read and "moan" about my posts as well. As I said before: your prerogative.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I'm glad the metacritic score is averaging a little bit more because mechanically the game seems kind of broken and no amount of story, characterization or world building should compensate this failing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

i haven't read any reviews yet (only listened to the Tim Rogers video so far), but this is nice to see from Mollie at EGM, i like her writeups

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i haven't read any reviews yet (only listened to the Tim Rogers video so far), but this is nice to see from Mollie at EGM, i like her writeups

yeah she's great. worth noting she also said she wasn't bothered by the BB stuff and that it was child's play as a mother of two.

heather was a bit more critical of the gender issues and she's right that ultimately the game centers men and their experiences. but she said it was a big step up from mgsv, not that that's hard.

but yeah I think the way this game approaches gender politics was a surprise and a treat— i expected it to have a lot more sexist garbage and it really doesn't. the women are badass and have agency and depth, moreso than the male characters i'd say

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Quiet really was the only girl character in MGSV wasn't she? Well aside from Paz cameo.

so yeah her being the sole representation of women there was.... yeesh. Couldn't even get EVA in when they found a way to get her into 4...

MGS1-4 all had at least three women character each. Not even counting B&B Unit For 4 because they're barely characters

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
did she? i'm interested to hear her thoughts. i just saw her post on twitter "i don't care about the game" which I interpreted as saying she hasn't played it or wasn't interested in playing it
If you just watch the GB thoughts video that's been posted, she'll discuss her thoughts. She has talked about it several times, maybe I wouldn't say 'intensely dislike' like Dan, but she definitely did not enjoy the game.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Quiet really was the only girl character in MGSV wasn't she? Well aside from Paz cameo.

so yeah her being the sole representation of women there was.... yeesh. Couldn't even get EVA in when they found a way to get her into 4...

MGS1-4 all had at least three women character each. Not even counting B&B Unit For 4 because they're barely characters

worse yet, there are a ton of female characters from peace walker, which's events took place directly before V and were referenced heavily in the game -- cecelie, amanda, strangelove were three major characters who were all ignored or murdered by their husband offscreen

May 10, 2019
ed43de80-78b5-4b58-a80e-171682af36f6_text_hi.gif

udngP4i.gif

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
worse yet, there are a ton of female characters from peace walker, which's events took place directly before V and were referenced heavily in the game -- cecelie, amanda, strangelove were three major characters who were all ignored or murdered by their husband offscreen
Yeah, I remember really wanting Amanda to have a role in V :(

I loved her in PW

of course they could bring back fucking Huey, and while I love him, shoehorn Ocelot in though...

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, i'm not a big PW fan, but the cast was a lot better than V in a bunch of ways. Before playing it (but after GZ) i really expected a ton of PW characters to be present. Hell, V barely even used Kaz.

also, how could i forget paz -- counting paz it's 2/4 conspicuously absent and 2/4 gruesomely murdered for trivial plot advancement.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

I loved her in PW

of course they could bring back fucking Huey, and while I love him, shoehorn Ocelot in though...
Yeah, i'm not a big PW fan, but the cast was a lot better than V in a bunch of ways. Before playing it (but after GZ) i really expected a ton of PW characters to be present. Hell, V barely even used Kaz.

also, how could i forget paz -- counting paz it's 2/4 conspicuously absent and 2/4 gruesomely murdered for trivial plot advancement.
Cecile I remember wasn't a big role and is kind of an Easter egg for an irl person right? Still liked her though but a bit more understandable why she was absent

wouldve been really awesome to have Amanda on Mother Base aside Miller and Ocelot though. Or maybe a mission partner like Quiet

Feel like the story could've justified putting EVA in too

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yea it's cool that you feel that way too, but here's the thing:

I don't feel a need to shit on a piece of media I haven't personally consumed and have no interest in, which, while annoying at first, has turned into pure hilarity for me. It's entertaining, and the same way people feel free to spew bullshit to pass the time, I'm free to comment as I see fit on their bullshit to pass the time.

You also free to misinterpret my words and intent as wildly as you like, it's your prerogative.

Protip: If you don't like my posts, the good people at ResetEra provided a shiny ignore button for that exact reason. I've recently begun to exercise it and it's done wonders. Guarantee you won't be the first or the last my good man/woman. You're also free to continue to read and "moan" about my posts as well. As I said before: your prerogative.
I never said you werent free to say what you want. I'm also not misrepresenting anything, as I and others all took the same meaning from your post.

I also have no reason to ignore you. I'm just going to call out petty posts like the one question when they happen. Its just childish and not necessary.

God dammit now all I want to do is watch kung pow

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you just watch the GB thoughts video that's been posted, she'll discuss her thoughts. She has talked about it several times, maybe I wouldn't say 'intensely dislike' like Dan, but she definitely did not enjoy the game.
oh yeah i just listened to it. she said she enjoyed parts of it but thought the story was bad. but she also said she put it down early in the game and didn't get back to it. she was definitely less negative overall but yeah that's interesting to hear, thanks for pointing it out.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
I never said you werent free to say what you want. I'm also not misrepresenting anything, as I and others all took the same meaning from your post.

I also have no reason to ignore you. I'm just going to call out petty posts like the one question when they happen. Its just childish and not necessary.
As were the posts I was mocking, so seems fair enough to me. And if you interpret any of my posts as moaning or passive, when I quite regularly quote and call out posts directly, then, well, yea...you're misinterpreting. But that's okay, that's life.

Edit: On-topic, since this exchange is bordering on being off-topic, I hope you enjoy the game. I, on the other hand, screwed myself out of quite a big chunk of playtime and completely missed the launch because I was rushing to catch an international flight. These are the times when I wish remote play was something I took the time to try out.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As were the posts I was mocking, so seems fair enough to me.
Yeah see thats the problem with your post. No one said anything close to the thing your post was supposedly mocking. Not even close. Which is why people called you out for it because those posts you think youre mocking don't actually exist. If they do please point me to them, specifically (don't be vague and say theyre over the thread without receipts) and I will kindly admit I was wrong.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Yeah see thats the problem with your post. No one said anything close to the thing your post was supposedly mocking. Not even close. Which is why people called you out for it because those posts you think youre mocking don't actually exist. If they do please point me to them, specifically (don't be vague and say theyre over the thread without receipts) and I will kindly admit I was wrong.
I'm on mobile, so I'm not gonna do that. If you don't see it, then you don't want to and your posts are teetering on creepy. Report me already and be done with it dude.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm on mobile, so I'm not gonna do that. If you don't see it, then you don't want to and your posts are teetering on creepy. Report me already and be done with it dude.
Ah the classic resetera defense when pushed for evidence to back up wild claims. I figured that would be the retort because when people say things like that and get called they find every reason in the world not to do something so simple, especially as you believe that its so rampant in this thread it should be easy to see or else its creepy.

I have no reason to report you (unless one of those alt accounts was yours lol). I just dont think you should be making up a narrative thats abusive towards skeptics and critics in this thread. Thats all.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Ah the classic resetera defense when pushed for evidence to back up wild claims. I figured that would be the retort because when people say things like that and get called they find every reason in the world not to do something so simple, especially as you believe that its so rampant in this thread it should be easy to see or else its creepy.

I have no reason to report you (unless one of those alt accounts was yours lol). I just dont think you should be making up a narrative thats abusive towards skeptics and critics in this thread. Thats all.
...all this conspiracy you've conjured up in your head which I'm certain someone like you has forced yourself to actually believe, and you think I'm the one that is "too invested in what others think"? Yea okay lmao.

The truth is I don't care enough about you or this conversation to go thru the countless DS threads, including this one with 11k+ posts when you know I'm right. As I said, report me if you have a problem with it. Or keep it up. You can be as "right" as you'd like in your head, doesn't change reality. As I'd like not to get a warning or banned for a purposeless and disingenuous back and forth, instead of responding to you again, you can read through my post history instead.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
...all this conspiracy you've conjured up in your head which I'm certain someone like you has forced yourself to actually believe, and you think I'm the one that is "too invested in what others think"? Yea okay lmao.

The truth is I don't care enough about you or this conversation to go thru the countless DS threads, including this one with 11k+ posts when you know I'm right. As I said, report me if you have a problem with it. Or keep it up. You can be as "right" as you'd like in your head, doesn't change reality. As I'd like not to get a warning or banned for a purposeless and disingenuous back and forth, instead of responding to you again, you can read through my post history instead.
I just want one post that says people aren't allowed to enjoy the game lol

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
The, "I'm on mobile so I can't", claim is always hilarious to me. Quoting a post is literally no harder or any more time consuming than it is on desktop.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
will you two just fuck and get it over with already
The, "I'm on mobile so I can't", claim is always hilarious to me. Quoting a post is literally no harder or any more time consuming than it is on desktop.
On desktop I can do a quick CMD+F. On mobile I have a hard enough time with the shitty iOS search function and the endless scrolling, again, through 11k+ posts. But like I said, the main driver is lack of desire to appease someone that sees only what they want to see. It'd be a pointless exercise.

will you two just fuck and get it over with already
I would but I don't think the poster likes me very much. Although he or she has definitely been paying attention so maybe? 🤔

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
I just want one post that says people aren't allowed to enjoy the game lol

I mean there were posters who were getting on the positive reviews for coming off as hyperbolic, insincere, and sounding like "stuff a Kojima fan would come up with" or something.

There were definitely ppl ridiculing reviewers talking about how they enjoyed the game. They saw the praise and claimed the review was "trite" and "nauseating" or something lol

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Actually it can be a pain in the ass on firefox on my Samsung. Don't know why but the text box area if I select a different part of my message it will scroll to the top of the message box everytime then I have to slide the message box down and look for where I was entering my text. Not a big deal if I don't want to edit anything and write everything perfect in a wunner like this classy message.

Didn't happen on my old iPhone so I'm not sure what it is but it is irritating as fuck and stops me fiddling about as much. Sometimes portrait/landscape view wipes my in progress message too which is sweet :p

Also embedding pictures doesn't work for Firefox for me I have to use the Samsung web app for some reason. Firefox treats the image link entry box as a search bar for some reason and won't actually insert it in the message unless I try 50 times and it works once. It is so wierd.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but when you quote someone who said, "I played the game and think it's awesome!"

with:

"I'm fairly certain you're not allowed to enjoy things that other people have an issue with.

If I were you, I would retract this post.

/s"

I'm sorry, but you're just being an ass.

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
I keep seeing people say that the reviewers that gave the game a high score still said it was boring and clunky and that it only got good reviews because it is a Kojima and/or Sony game.

Can anyone point out a review that gave it a high score or perfect that also said the game was boring and/or clunky so I can read it? Thanks.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, but when you quote someone who said, "I played the game and think it's awesome!"

with:

"I'm fairly certain you're not allowed to enjoy things that other people have an issue with.

If I were you, I would retract this post.

/s"

I'm sorry, but you're just being an ass.

It's just me but I really don't think that post deserved the pile on or back and forth that it got.

Coming at it with "sensitive Kojima fan(s)!" or "you're an ass" don't seem to really be adding much to a thread that's already not going too hot.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan

Right on. Kallie Plagge's review was the first one I read, and it was excellent.
Interested to check out the others as well.