• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
I wonder how Geoff Keighley feels now that he won't be able to give Kojima, his best buddy, an award at The Game Awards given the game's tepid reception.

DeNiZen

Dec 4, 2017
Canada
Just wanted to stop by and post in THE mega thread of ResetEra. Also, to voice my support for Kojima and friends.
I only played the first 2 Metal gears (PS1 and PS2) and fell off the wagon until Phantom Pain. I sunk my gaming teeth into Phantom Pain deeply. I've been replaying it the past couple of weeks and loving every minute of it! That being said, I loved it as a send off game/love letter for all the Kojima fans of Metal Gear. Playing as Big Boss, the man of every hour and legend of legends. This guy wanted us to BE the Boss and did an outstanding job at that, considering he was locked away (according to the internet) from his team for the latter portion of development.

He leaves and makes out on his own... Most likely delt with some emotional turmoil after 30 years with the same company. I'm assuming he was supported by many of his peers in the bizz to get back on his feet. He creates his own company and builds a crew of amazing game developers. Is given the keys to Decima, the cadillac of game engines.

Then makes a game that honestly should only speak for itself. Critics, Kojima, forums, or your friends shouldn't convince otherwise.

I can't wait to dive into this game! It sounds fresh and different from the usual stuff I play.

Games don't need to be challenging to be fun or entertaining... or maybe this will be challening. Just not in a gamey kinda way.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Geoff Keighley feels now that he won't be able to give Kojima, his best buddy, an award at The Game Awards given the game's tepid reception.
There are various categories that it will be nominated for and some that it will win. Lower (or higher depending on who you ask) than expected reception doesn't affect the liklihood of a game's individual components from being highly regarded and awarded.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles Times (no score):
Unsettling and unnatural is how "Death Stranding" appears, but it's really just a testament to the power in friendships and love while aiming to make sense of our fractured world.

Sydney Morning Herald (7/10):
Between the endless dialogue and layers of intrigue, Metal Gear Solid was always fun to play. The life of a legendary super soldier is inherently more exciting and lends itself to interesting gameplay more than the life of a post-apocalyptic delivery guy. But more than that, Death Stranding bogs itself down in minutiae and totally unessecary bloat, while failing to capitalise on the aspects of gameplay that are legitimately engaging.

Like an art exhibition that asks you to walk 500 metres between each piece, there is worthwhile and moving stuff here and one could argue the drudgery and annoying busywork is all part of the aesthetic experience. But that doesn't make it an easily recommended way to spend 50 hours of your time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"And the best game-starring-me award goes to..."
cover1.jpg

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
looking at the game awards categories, i can see it be nominated (and maybe win) in several categories. best art direction, music, audio design, performance, and best action adventure game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I wouldn't say the games reception has been tepid. The highly negative outlier reviews makes it seem that way, but the overall consensus in reviews is still overwhelmingly positive, with even the majority of the games scores coming it at 90 or above, and the game receiving more 10's than any other game on Meta this year (unless you start combining platforms, where only RE2R tops it).

In truth, I have no idea how Death Stranding will fare in terms of GOTY votes, because this year there's no clear winner, and a lot of outlets or journalists that loved Death Stranding, really loved it. With respect to TGA's, I guess it depends on which journalists make up the panel of judges.

The fuck? Have you bothered even looking at user impressions or even the Time magazine review that hit today.

A lot of the non-gaming centric outlets have heaped a fair amount of praise on the game. Here's a couple I've read that afaik haven't been linked yet.

TIME - Death Stranding Is the Weirdest Game I've Ever Played, and I Loved Every Minute

LA Times - 'Death Stranding' is the weirdest, most lovingly imperfect game of 2019

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Hostility and antagonizing another user
I hate Geoff Keighley. The first thing I'm doing in the game (when I get it at a sale, eventually) is pissing on his dead eyes.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Another female voice (in German) from a pretty big site: https://www.giga.de/test/im-test-death-stranding-ist-ein-meisterwerk-das-ihr-hassen-werdet/
We really lack female reviewers over here. Have fun with google translate. The conclusion. "Death Stranding is a masterpiece you will hate." - 9/10
Marina fully explains what the BBs are, insists that you need to finish the game to like it (that´s new) and that it transcends the medium. She further argues that the way the MP works may start a genre.

Edit: Forgot. It´s a GOTY contender for the site and her GOTY. It´s fair to say that European critics love DS now that I looked at some other outlets. I don´t look forward to the usual US vs The World review discussions.
Why are people making US Vs RoW a thing about the reaction to Death Stranding? The proportion of positive and not so positive reviews are broadly similar across both.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Earlier in this thread I mentioned how this kind of reminded me of FFXI, going from place to place in a dangerous world. Maximilian_DOOD and his wife thought the same thing.

I can hardly wait, I loved roaming FFXI's world, especially on beastmaster. One of the best things about being a beastmaster to me was being able to admire the world in places few FFXI players would see in a relaxing way since they would be there with a group heading somewhere else. Seeing people park Sam and take in the sights just seemed surreal, if only FFXI had those graphics.

If you haven't seen trailers and are on a blackout don't view this. There's no spoiler stuff in the video outside of promotion video levels of things, like the suit, the delivery package shape, and maybe a random building in the background.

Max's Wife: Guess what it reminds me of?
Max: Final Fantasy 11
(both laugh)
Max: Maybe that's why I'm enjoying it so much.
Wife: Because you had to run from place to place...
Max: You gotta run to Dragon's Aery chat room, Nidhoggs gonna pop, we gotta go man!

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To the people worried about TGA and Death Stranding, are you more concerned with this event because it's televised?

Are you aware that there are more than one GOTY award and that, for instance, something like

This
Games%20Awards%20Logo%202.jpg

Generates more momentum and mind share than Keighley and his panel could because it's recognized beyond gaming.

It's crazy to see people who have previously stated numerous times that they don't want. care, or have any interest in DS in this thread advocating against the game getting an award.

We can and should do better.

I hate Geoff Keighley. The first thing I'm doing in the game (when I get it at a sale, eventually) is pissing on his dead eyes.

Ugh

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
To the people worried about TGA and Death Stranding, are you more concerned with this event because it's televised?

Are you aware that there are more than one GOTY award and that, for instance, something like

This
Games%20Awards%20Logo%202.jpg

Generates more momentum and mind share
BAFTA will give the award to Disco Elysium, mark my words

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
Just saw that "Süddeutsche Zeitung", one of the most reputable newspapers in Germany, calls Death Stranding in their review "arguably the best game of the year".

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Just saw that "Süddeutsche Zeitung", one of the most reputable newspapers in Germany, calls Death Stranding in their review "arguably the best game of the year".
One thing that may certainly work in its' favor is the release date timing. For better or worse, the game will be fresh in people's minds in the coming weeks when GOTY surveys/nominations start to be circulated soon.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding is beautiful, Death Stranding is boring, Death Stranding is baffling. It's all of these things and I'm glad it exists.

SegmentNext (8/10):
For what it's worth, I just think the ball was slightly dropped in trying to provide a comfortable justification to all the hype this game put out. Still enough to get attention to both new and old Kojima fans.

Digital Life (no score, review in greek, google translation):
Death Stranding is an incredibly contradictory game. While the story is complicated and exciting, the gameplay looks like something we would probably play on a cellphone to spend time on our break. You want why Kojima didn't have the support of a big studio this time, you want because taking care of the case neglected the gameplay, the effect is the same once. The interactive element, that is, that makes a game… playable, desperately suffers. I never imagined I would be in such a position for a Kojima title, but the reality is that Death Stranding is not worth its money ($ 70 for the base version and $ 80 for the deluxe). Maybe if they made it from scratch as a simple animated movie they would do better ...

I think Death Stranding gonna get most goty awards on here. Even tho the gap with other games gonna be minimal
EU publications will carry it
there's pretty much no way that'll happen. this year doesn't have a clear winner that we can safely guess will win the majority of the awards, but even with that they'll mostly be split among a few other games. DS will win a good number of gotys but not more than other games.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
i struggle to see what other game would rack up the awards. a remake of a 21 year old game? i don't think so. disco elysium is too niche. the story of kingdom hearts 3 was too disappointing. i'd be happy to see sekiro win but there was a lot of backlash against the difficulty

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i struggle to see what other game would rack up the awards. a remake of a 21 year old game? i don't think so. disco elyseum is too niche. the story of kingdom hearts 3 was too disappointing. i'd be happy to see sekiro win but there was a lot of backlash against the difficulty
the awards will be mostly split between RE2 and sekiro imo.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm not close to being done with the game but seriously unless it tanks in the later half this is absolutely my vote for game of the year. Played all night yet again and couldn't put it down. 15 hours on the clock , just beat chapter
and every step of the way is still enthralling and interesting. Prior to this game, Sekiro and Astral Chain were my picks for goty. I can't deny how incredible Death Stranding is on every level. Again, I have to beat it before I'm certain..... But so far I'm so fucking impressed.

GamingCJ

Apr 14, 2019
One thing that may certainly work in its' favor is the release date timing. For better or worse, the game will be fresh in people's minds in the coming weeks when GOTY surveys/nominations start to be circulated soon.
Don't know about that. Last year, God of War won most GOTY awards despite all the fresh memories of RDR2.

Feb 26, 2018
there's pretty much no way that'll happen. this year doesn't have a clear winner that we can safely guess will win the majority of the awards, but even with that they'll mostly be split among a few other games. DS will win a good number of gotys but not more than other games.

Just like everyone told me RDR2 gonna destroy GoW last year. Gonna go with my gut feeling on this one.
Wanna bet?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just like everyone told me RDR2 gonna destroy GoW last year. Gonna go with my gut feeling on this one.
Wanna bet?
as long as it's not on something big :)
how about me changing my avatar for one week to whatever you pick if it wins the most goty awards in the goty picks blog, and you do the same if it doesn't?

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I've been playing it since yesterday.

Strange feeling that when I'm playing it it'll be one of those games where I can play for a few hours and not realise how long I've been on it. I'll get stocked up, plan my route out, usually fail then go a different way and finish some deliveries off. Then think I might as well do a few more.

But when I'm not playing it I don't have that urge to get back on it like you usually get from games like I just mentioned.

I am trying to juggle it with Need for Speed Heat and Blacksad though. So no one game is getting my full attention.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
There is 0% chance that the awards show best known for having a giant Gillette razor dance around for two hours doesn't give Best Performance to Norman Reedus for grunting his way through a 60-hour walking simulator. Gotta get those Walking Dead viewers tuning in.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
I've only played an hour last night, but my hot take is that this game is a good indicator of how open you are open to new gaming experiences. I'll get back to it in about 50 hours.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
i struggle to see what other game would rack up the awards. a remake of a 21 year old game? i don't think so. disco elysium is too niche. the story of kingdom hearts 3 was too disappointing. i'd be happy to see sekiro win but there was a lot of backlash against the difficulty
Control for the surreal world, storytelling, and memorable characters along with some of the best third person shooting action and powers gameplay.
Outer Wilds. Not niche, innovative, unique, memorable, humanistic and about connections but in a more organic way than Death Stranding, and the archeological aspect is intriguing.

Last edited: