• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
i struggle to see what other game would rack up the awards. a remake of a 21 year old game? i don't think so. disco elysium is too niche. the story of kingdom hearts 3 was too disappointing. i'd be happy to see sekiro win but there was a lot of backlash against the difficulty
Could just be a very open year without one specific titles tacking up the awards.

There's an argument to be made as to why a wide selection of AAA candidates and some smaller AA/indie titles could be chosen by outlets

Main competitors are probably going to be Sekiro RE2, DMCV, Death Stranding, Fire Emblem, Outer Worlds, Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds and maybe Goose Game and Sayonara Wild Hearts depending on the outlet but really anything is fair game.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Could just be a very open year without one specific titles tacking up the awards.

There's an argument to be made as to why a wide selection of AAA candidates and some smaller AA/indie titles could be chosen by outlets

Main competitors are probably going to be Sekiro RE2, DMCV, Death Stranding, Fire Emblem, Outer Worlds, Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds and maybe Goose Game and Sayonara Wild Hearts depending on the outlet but really anything is fair game.
True. Could be a more interesting race than usual this year because of lack of a clear frontrunner

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

Once again people are underestimating Star Wars. I can easily see that game becoming a serious contender or a straight up safe bet.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After playing 11 hours of this game, I can see why the reviews are all over the place.

I'm very much enjoying it, but I can't really describe why i'm enjoying it.
I can't really label the gameplay "good" in a traditional sense, but... It's very engrossing?
The story, dialogue and world are very bizarre, it almost feels like you're playing through a dream.

It feels like a game that can simultaneously be a 1/10 or a 10/10 depending on how willing you are to submit yourself to the experience.

Oct 27, 2017
What's with the trollish user score and reviews on metacritic? People calling it a boring walking simulator despite not playing it and giving it a 0. What about the people that the people who enjoy the gameplay loop and don't find it boring? Is there some anti-Kojima cult that was finally relieved that Kojima made a ''worse'' game than usually and jumped on the opportunity to troll his newest work?

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
What's with the trollish user score and reviews on metacritic? People calling it a boring walking simulator despite not playing it and giving it a 0. What about the people that the people who enjoy the gameplay loop and don't find it boring? Is there some anti-Kojima cult that was finally relieved that Kojima made a ''worse'' game than usually and jumped on the oppurtunity to troll his new work?

Just trolls. Scores are trash, but user scores are extreme trash.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's with the trollish user score and reviews on metacritic? People calling it a boring walking simulator despite not playing it and giving it a 0. What about the people that the people who enjoy the gameplay loop and don't find it boring? Is there some anti-Kojima cult that was finally relieved that Kojima made a ''worse'' game than usually and jumped on the opportunity to troll his new work?
is this is your first time looking up user scores on metacritic?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's with the trollish user score and reviews on metacritic? People calling it a boring walking simulator despite not playing it and giving it a 0. What about the people that the people who enjoy the gameplay loop and don't find it boring? Is there some anti-Kojima cult that was finally relieved that Kojima made a ''worse'' game than usually and jumped on the opportunity to troll his newest work?
it's review bombing and happens to all big games. user scores shouldn't be taken seriously. i don't even know why metacritic still has them, opencritic doesn't and is better for it.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Well today is release day and I hope all you lucky console owners enjoy it on PS4.

My plebe-ass has to wait until 2020.

I hate you all.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Checking out some of the users that gave it 0 leads to some interesting results.

Most of the low user scores have only reviewed this game too lol.
By2LMgq.jpg

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
in case people were interested, here's a thread with reviews from women and nb folk who were assigned to Death Stranding. all of the reviews in this thread are broadly positive, and I'm hoping people can link me to some more critical reviews from women/nb people.

This is a good post, thank you.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User scores are absolutely useless.

User scores could be better if it worked a bit like steam. You can see how long a user has played the game in his "review". Then i would also add a "trophy/achievement check" so that it's certain that the user has played until point xyz and wasn't just idlyng in the start-screen.

3 checks in total:

- has bought the game
- has played x hours
- has reached point xyz in the game (see trophy/achievement name)

That would cut down the noise.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User scores could be better if it worked a bit like steam. You can see how long a user has played the game in his "review". Then i would also add a "trophy/achievement check" so that it's certain that the user has played until point xyz and wasn't just idlyng in the start-screen.

3 checks in total:

- has bought the game
- has played x hours
- has reached point xyz in the game (see trophy/achievement name)

That would cut down the noise.
They'd still be useless. User scores are useless.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
They'd still be useless. User scores are useless.

I find them quite useful on Steam.

Prob. 'cause I'm mostly into hyper-indie games that never get coverage in mainstream press.

I'm discovering hidden gems all the time thanks to positive user reviews (10 Miles To Safety, Overcrowd: A Commute 'Em Up, Project Hospital, Enderal: Forgotten Stories, Objects in Space, etc.)

Jan 20, 2019
I find them quite useful on Steam.

Prob. 'cause I'm mostly into hyper-indie games that never get coverage in mainstream press.

I'm discovering hidden gems all the time thanks to positive user reviews (10 Miles To Safety, Overcrowd: A Commute 'Em Up, Project Hospital, Enderal: Forgotten Stories, Objects in Space, etc.)

In Steam peopel actualy put the effort in to review the game because you need to own the game to review it, i think.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Steam reviews are good!
Actually, I'll go ahead and argue that they're essential in this day and age.
Hundreds of games are being released every week, and there's no way publications will ever find the time to cover them all.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
After playing 11 hours of this game, I can see why the reviews are all over the place.

I'm very much enjoying it, but I can't really describe why i'm enjoying it.
I can't really label the gameplay "good" in a traditional sense, but... It's very engrossing?
The story, dialogue and world are very bizarre, it almost feels like you're playing through a dream.

It feels like a game that can simultaneously be a 1/10 or a 10/10 depending on how willing you are to submit yourself to the experience.

Well put. I'm still not sure how I feel about it (granted, I only started). One example - it annoys me how long the cutscenes are and I am pleased how well made and interesting they are at the same time. I don't know how I feel about them, and that's just one aspect of the game. Still I applaud the courage to make something like this, it is a different game than most - and this is coming from someone who's not a fan of Kojima's previous work. One thing's certain: can't wait to get back to it tonight.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Honestly, Steam reviews are a huge reason why I buy a game or not. I'll be interested and reading the reviews seems invaluable to me. As much as you might have the odd meme review or people reeeee ing about something hateful in general there are plenty of people who spend a lot if time breaking what they liked and what they didn't, issues at hand etc. Seeing someone who has 1000 hours in Metal Gear Solid V detailing all of it's issues i'm going to pay attention.

To me a well made review review is worth it's weight in gold and more valuable than mainstream reviews. I kinda wish consoles would have done something similar.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
268 positive MC user scores strand against 269 negative. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.
Why are people making US Vs RoW a thing about the reaction to Death Stranding? The proportion of positive and not so positive reviews are broadly similar across both.
IGN US gave it the lowest score of all time. A 6,8/10! [insert lightningstrike.gif] IGN everywhere else praised it over the moon. The internet smelled blood in the air and started making memes that certain people perceived to take very seriously due to this whole Joker "debate" a few months ago. EU outlets are more positive on the game than US ones unless I am seeing things. You take it from there.

On to something more fun after seeing that the BBC review it. We also have a state-funded game review outlet over here. Game Two (the sequel to a MTV show named Game One). Here is their DS review. The criticism is about the same as everywhere aka. positive. But tune in to minute 9:50 and stay with it for a minute. You don´t even need a lick of German to follow along:

My taxes paid for this skit!

Edit: Amazon Germany 100% ran out of copies for all editions of DS today. You know, the day of release. Kojima´s career is going places after this one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
268 positive MC user scores strand against 269 negative. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

IGN US gave it the lowest score of all time. A 6,8/10! [insert lightningstrike.gif] IGN everywhere else praised it over the moon. The internet smelled blood in the air and started making memes that certain people perceived to take very seriously due to this whole Joker "debate" a few months ago. EU outlets are more positive on the game than US ones unless I am seeing things. You take it from there.

On to something more fun after seeing that the BBC review it. We also have a state-funded game review outlet over here. Game Two (the sequel to a MTV show named Game One). Here is their DS review. The criticism is about the same as everywhere aka. positive. But tune in to minute 9:50 and stay with it for a minute. You don´t even need a lick of German to follow along:

My taxes paid for this skit!

Edit: Amazon Germany 100% ran out of copies for all editions of DS today. You know, the day of release. Kojima´s career is going places after this one.

You are 100% seeing things that aren't there.

There are a lot of US sites that like the game and a good amount of European and RoW sites that aren't as keen on it.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Some reviewers saying it's a masterpiece that you will hate and they give it a high score makes me feel like they really didn't like the game and just gave it a high score because of kojima

"a masterpiece you will hate" Never heard of such a thing

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
forbes has posted a review-in-progress
It's not great or terrible. I can't get on board with the critics singing its praises as a 10/10 masterpiece or those who say it's the worst game ever. Except when my truck gets stuck in a ditch and I have to reload because nothing I can do will get it out. That's annoying.

Nor do I think "But it's art!" is a great counter to tedious gameplay. Who cares? Just because something is "art" doesn't mean it's good. There's good and bad art, and yeah–it's all pretty subjective. Some people will love this game and some will hate it.

I'm going to finish it so I can write a final review. Maybe it'll continue to grow on me. Maybe it won't. Maybe I'll finish it hating the thing more than ever. Maybe I'll be singing its praises from the mountaintop.

edit: another review
Power Unlimited (90/100, review in dutch, google translation):
A hiking simulation that you want to keep playing thanks to a unique stealth experience, a social element and a disturbed but epic story that beats its barbs in your mind. Not for everyone, but once you are finished, you get the game experiences of the year. Yes, in plural yes.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I can see many players putting this down before the story becomes interesting which is a shame. Reviewers who forced themselve often came away impressed, but it wouldn't surprise me if many people just quit early and never return

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing people say it only got good reviews because it is Kojima yet no one can give me an example of a review that is negative on the game with a high score.

Is this something people just keep repeating to dismiss the good reviews?
I promise it was a real review they said "a masterpiece that you will hate, it can't be too many pages back