• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing people say it only got good reviews because it is Kojima yet no one can give me an example of a review that is negative on the game with a high score.

Is this something people just keep repeating to dismiss the good reviews?

This may be the most glaring example, but many of the very high scores had similar comments about tedium and such too. This was a 9.5/10 review summary from https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/11/01/death-stranding-review-metal-weird-solid-ps4/

Death Stranding is not a "fun" game, but it's an important and meaningful experience that earns its payoff through every bit of frustration and slog. It's a look at life and death, connection and solitude; a game about building up what matters most and supporting each other selflessly. You'll be bored at times and downright frustrated at others, but it comes with a great reward at the end that is made sweeter by the trials that precede it. It's brilliantly unique in its design and implementation of online elements. Even if it's got a few places where it stumbles, Death Stranding firmly holds down R2 and L2 to regain its balance and deliver an unmatched experience.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This may be the most glaring example, but many of the very high scores had similar comments about tedium and such too. This was a 9.5/10 review summary from https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/11/01/death-stranding-review-metal-weird-solid-ps4/

that quote is obviously glowingly positive dude?

I guess if you cut out 90% of the quote and disguise the meaning of two sentences you can get a negative pullquote from it?

"Death Stranding is not a "fun" game You'll be bored at times and downright frustrated at others"

Eggman

Banned
Apr 16, 2018

The quote you copied is taken out of context. It mostly seems like the reviewer is trying to convey that it is a challenging game but than goes on say it is very rewarding. He validates his score through the review.

And this is one review, I keep seeing comments saying "all" or "most" of the high reviews say it isn't good and don't justify their score yet I have yet to see one. Only people taking quotes out of context.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
you think its a good game to play while playing podcasts?

The game has great sound design and frequently contrasts the solitude of walking with big musical swells -- listening to audio while you play would seriously undermine all of that.

If you don't care though, yeah, it's a game of doing careful tasks in silence mostly the mechanics are a great fit for listening to something else.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
that quote is obviously glowingly positive dude?

I guess if you cut out 90% of the quote and disguise the meaning of two sentences you can get a negative pullquote from it?

"Death Stranding is not a "fun" game You'll be bored at times and downright frustrated at others"

Well, the quoted paragraph contains the words "slog", "bored" and "frustrated", even if they mention the payoff is well worth it, though not sure that's what I want in a videogame. I find it somewhat worrying when I compare with other reviews that say that the game takes quite a few hours to get started. Also, I just read the Edge's preview and well, it's pretty brutal, saying that the game often feels like work, among other things. Still, given the range of reviews, it seems it's the kind of game one should at least try.

catswaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, the quoted paragraph contains the words "slog", "bored" and "frustrated", even if they mention the payoff is well worth it, though not sure that's what I want in a videogame. I find it somewhat worrying when I compare with other reviews that say that the game takes quite a few hours to get started. Also, I just read the Edge's preview and well, it's pretty brutal, saying that the game often feels like work, among other things. Still, given the range of reviews, it seems it's the kind of game one should at least try.

that's fine, having played a little of it, it is absolutely not for everyone. The reviewer quoted clearly thought it was what he wanted in a videogame though! He wrote that glowing paragraph about it.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing people say it only got good reviews because it is Kojima yet no one can give me an example of a review that is negative on the game with a high score.

This is the most predictable thing ever. I said a year ago that if reviews were bad Era would throw a celebration and parade the narrative through the streets. And if scores were good, they would claim that corrupt games journalism is blindly worshipping at the altar of cult leader Kojima.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Anyone who says that is an idiot.

Plenty of people dislike Kojima as well but I'm not about to start blaming the negative reviews on that

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Can you site the other "many" "very high scores" review that have said such things? Because it's literally only this one single review that keeps being brought up. Surely with "many" such reviews to choose from people should have no problems citing other reviews.

defiant04

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
The game has great sound design and frequently contrasts the solitude of walking with big musical swells -- listening to audio while you play would seriously undermine all of that.

If you don't care though, yeah, it's a game of doing careful tasks in silence mostly the mechanics are a great fit for listening to something else.

Yea if its one of those games that requires my undivided attention. I'll probably just wait until its lower in price before dipping in

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Can you site the other "many" "very high scores" review that have said such things? Because it's literally only this one single review that keeps being brought up. Surely with "many" such reviews to choose from people should have no problems citing other reviews.

That guy went into the OT to tell people all the psoitve impressions in there must be crazy and whacky to enjoy such a game.

Guy clearly has an agenda and /or is 12

defiant04

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
We also have to remember that most reviewers are not playing under normal playing conditions under tight time constraints. its not meant to be rushed.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017

"all I can take" is not a good sign lol

source.gif

Soulnado

Alt account
Banned
Nov 7, 2019
It's probably good for this game's metascore that people are quitting reviewing the game. If EDGE slapped this with a 2/10, it would drop the metascore to like 79.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
oh? i thought anyone who got a review code had to finish the game if they wanted to publish a review, regardless of when they want to do it.

From what I can tell, Edge simply didn't want to write an incomplete review. Their "we don't want to finish the game so we're not going to formally review it even after the embargo expires, here's some impressions instead" thing was more of a philosophical/ethical thing than an outright requirement from Sony.

In my experience as a professional reviewer, publishers CAN'T force you to finish a game to write a review - if you knowingly don't finish it and write a shitty review they may rethink their stance on sending you advance copies in the future, but if they send you a game most of the embargo is simply based around when and how you're allowed to release the review. They can't stop you from publishing a review once the game is formally released.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From what I can tell, Edge simply didn't want to write an incomplete review. Their "we don't want to finish the game so we're not going to formally review it even after the embargo expires, here's some impressions instead" thing was more of a philosophical/ethical thing than an outright requirement from Sony.

In my experience as a professional reviewer, publishers CAN'T force you to finish a game to write a review - if you knowingly don't finish it and write a shitty review they may rethink their stance on sending you advance copies in the future, but if they send you a game most of the embargo is simply based around when and how you're allowed to release the review. They can't stop you from publishing a review once the game is formally released.
got it

astro

Oct 25, 2017
One complaint I do not understand is the "America is nothing like America" critique.

Only an hour or so into the game and it's clear why. The game shows AND spells that the Death Stranding and the time fall has ravaged the land beyond recognition.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019

No, completing the game before reviewing it was an explicit requirement as part of the game's NDA/embargo agreement.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yes. As in you would need to do that to post a review at the embargoed time. They can't exactly stop you once the game is actually out.
Of course, they cannot stop you once the embargo has lifted at all. But pre-release, it was definitely a major clause.

Doesn't that make the whole thing disingenuous then?
I dunno if it's disingenuous, but it does serve as a self selecting way of weeding out some of the potential lower scored reviews.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, they cannot stop you once the embargo has lifted at all. But pre-release, it was definitely a major clause.

Yeah, that was the point I was making. Edge said they didn't want to finish the game, so they didn't post a review at embargo. They then decided not to post a LATE review. There's nothing legally prohibiting them from posting a review now, they just didn't want to because they don't want to finish the game.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
I remember in the Inside Gaming review mentions about if you hated RDR2 you'd probably hate a lot of what Death Stranding does, so it really shouldn't surprise anyone that Jim not only deeply disliked it, but that he even outright compares it to RDR2 in his review

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if Sterling was serious or making a botw joke but he said 7/10.

Given how much he criticized it I'm surprised it was that high, I thought he was going to give it about a 5/10 while watching his review. So yeah, probably a reference to his BotW review.

At the end of the review Jim says:

"It is boring, and when it's not boring it's fucking irritating".

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I'm so excited for this.

Edit

Im dying at the beginning

I literally laughed out loud multiple times watching this, great stuff. More power to those who find enjoyment in any game including this one, but I definitely will never understand wanting to literally hit buttons to balance yourself walking constantly as a core gameplay mechanic in a game.

THRILLHO

Nov 6, 2017
Also, that he played it for "hours and hours and hours and hours and hours" and didn't enjoy one minute of it.

*tugs on collar*
yikes