• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably good for this game's metascore that people are quitting reviewing the game. If EDGE slapped this with a 2/10, it would drop the metascore to like 79.
lol you don't know how average works.
This may be the most glaring example, but many of the very high scores had similar comments about tedium and such too. This was a 9.5/10 review summary from https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2019/11/01/death-stranding-review-metal-weird-solid-ps4/
Did you stopped here? "Death Stranding is not a "fun" game " because the quoting is pure praise besides this,if this is the best you found,all reviews justified their score.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Jim hasn't given a scored review in over 2 years and he's reviewed countless games since then. I'm pretty sure the 7/10 was a joke, I'd be surprised if Opencritic or Metacritic ran with it.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
For someone who adore responsive control in video games, I actually find the deadzone setting a little bit too sensitive.
This is the first time I ever turn UP the deadzone setting in a game.
Honestly Deadzone 5 just feels so much better than Deadzone 0, it just feels right.

I am glad the game offers these options instead of forcing a particular deadzone setting on the player.
RDR2 could learn a lot from this game when it comes to control & settings.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's right. It's a weighted average, not all the reviewers affect the collected score the same. Edge's review is weighted more than others and would shift it harder.
Not,it is not,if the next review would be EDGE a 2,it would drop the score 1 point at max even with weight,if Death Stranding had 20 reviews would drop more points,but after 83 reviews,not happening,a lot of scores below 80 will dropped it,specially <70,but EDGE alone will not drop so much.Even if EDGE score it a 10 now wouldn't make the score up more than 1 point,if up at all.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
A few hours in...

This game is very special. It is clear why it's divisive, but I think it's amazing.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see how this game will stand the test of time, after initial impressions and honeymoon period is over. I don't think I've ever seen such a divisive game.

Patchy

Oct 29, 2017
I'm dealing with some (admittedly mild) mental health issues at the moment and outside of the BTs, this is pretty much the most relaxed I've been for a while when playing.

I love this game.

Coolsambob

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see how some people would not enjoy this game, it really was a risky move. Thankfully I'm really enjoying it. Plays like I expected it to after the recent trailers.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched some YouTube gameplay clips in HDR. It looks wonderfully moody and creepy. Fallen Order comes first but Im weakening.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this isn't a spoiler can someone give me a quick explanation of what exactly a BT is? And DOOMS?

edit: sorry should probably ask this in the other thread

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Waiting for my financial advisor (i.e. wife) to give me the okay before taking the plunge, but I'm, like, somehow totally into the idea of a game about walking? Like, idk, I watch a clip from Giantbomb and was just like, "I really, really want to just relax walk."

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Waiting for my financial advisor (i.e. wife) to give me the okay before taking the plunge, but I'm, like, somehow totally into the idea of a game about walking? Like, idk, I watch a clip from Giantbomb and was just like, "I really, really want to just relax walk."

I wouldn't say the game is 'relax walking' (it's really damn stressful and difficult at times) but, same, I'm all into games where you have to plan journeys and make deliveries. As someone who's put like 1,000 hours into Sea of Thieves this gen and recently had a huge Euro Truck Simulator 2 obsession recently, Death Stranding is scratching all those same itches. Planning out a journey, making sure you're equipped, having to react to unexpected situations while protecting your cargo...

I get people being a bit meh if they were expecting Metal Gear Solid 6 but, if you've got any interest in these delivery type games, DS feels like a gem so far.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I wouldn't say the game is 'relax walking' (it's really damn stressful and difficult at times) but, same, I'm all into games where you have to plan journeys and make deliveries. As someone who's put like 1,000 hours into Sea of Thieves this gen and recently had a huge Euro Truck Simulator 2 obsession recently, Death Stranding is scratching all those same itches. Planning out a journey, making sure you're equipped, having to react to unexpected situations while protecting your cargo...

I get people being a bit meh if they were expecting Metal Gear Solid 6 but, if you've got any interest in these delivery type games, DS feels like a gem so far.

I somehow feel ashamed for being interested in it, though.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Offtopic: Note to self, the prose of Harry Knowles is toxic material and you shouldn't expose it to the populace, unless filtered through Mega 64. That video should've had "don't try it at home" attached somewhere.

My first legit (as in, not self-imposed or "snapped by Thanos") ban since I started using internet forums in 2007, lol.

On topic: I find the overall positivity of the OT encouraging and kinda impressive. I know OTs tend to trend positive and all, but it's clear that traversal mechanics have been executed well enough to be appealing. The actual traversal is what interests me about. this game, more than anything else.

As a side note, comparisons to Spintires: Mudrunners have made me interested in picking up Spintires: Mudrunners

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
more reviews:

Fortress of Solitude (92%):
If you loved Metal Gear Solid 4, then you'll love Death Stranding. Hideo Kojima has mastered the art of combining both film and video gaming, and the amalgamation is something revolutionary for both fields.

The Mercury News (3.5/4):
Essentially, "Death Stranding" is Kojima unfiltered, without an editor or someone to tell him no. The result of this is a project that's bizarre, hokey and at times brilliant. Fans can gripe about the obtuseness of the narrative, but players can't say that this is generic. It's an adventure full of original ideas that forges a path of its own, but that takes players, for better or worse, through the eccentric imagination of one of video game's true auteurs.

Independent.ie (4/5):
It's possible to fall in love with Death Stranding for long periods only to be worn down by the tedium of repetition, the interminable exposition and the grandiose ambitions. Play it, yes - but don't expect to understand or at times even like it.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Show of hands for people who went in hyped as fuck and are now incredibly disappointed?
* Bird chirps lol...
Ppl are enjoying it, what a surprise? An 83 meta critic game is dog poo but somehow ppl are still loving it.

DS thread has had some interesting comments but I'll say it's officially the worse review thread I've ever witnessed on the site.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
Offtopic: Note to self, the prose of Harry Knowles is toxic material and you shouldn't expose it to the populace, unless filtered through Mega 64. That video should've had "don't try it at home" attached somewhere.

My first legit (as in, not self-imposed or "snapped by Thanos") ban since I started using internet forums in 2007, lol.

On topic: I find the overall positivity of the OT encouraging and kinda impressive. I know OTs tend to trend positive and all, but it's clear that traversal mechanics have been executed well enough to be appealing. The actual traversal is what interests me about. this game, more than anything else.

As a side note, comparisons to Spintires: Mudrunners have made me interested in picking up Spintires: Mudrunners

Mudrunners is on Gamespass for PC. I've been eyeballing it too lol

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So did BB being annoying turn out to be a genuine criticism for anyone, or was it just a bullet point for anti-Kojima folk? Several hours in I have barely even heard a peep out of BB.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

It's true. I've kinda got a thread idea half drafted (for when the craziness calms down) centred around 'if you found yourself loving Death Stranding's delivery/journey planning stuff then you should play these games'. Mudrunners, Sea of Thieves and Euro/American Truck Simulator all high up there for me.

Death Stranding does a ton of unique stuff but the more I play the more I'm finding that it scratches the same itch as a load of other games I already seriously love.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've gathered the main gameplay loop is the whole planning out your journey part right? Making decisions on what route to take, how to overcome or avoid obstacles, which items to bring to assist you in that journey.

In which cases there are three things to consider-

1. Is there a large variety of meaningful decisions the player has to make?

2. Are the obstacles varied and Interesting to overcome?

3. Are the environments varied and interesting to look at?

Jan 20, 2019
So correct me if I'm wrong but from what I've gathered the main gameplay loop is the whole planning out your journey part right? Making decisions on what route to take, how to overcome or avoid obstacles, which items to bring to assist you in that journey.

In which cases there are three things to consider-

1. Is there a large variety of meaningful decisions the player has to make?

2. Are the obstacles varied and Interesting to overcome?

3. Are the environments varied and interesting to look at?

The last 2 yes, the first one you dont need to plan it really because peopel build mail box with tons of itens you can use.