• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As someone who loves the game watching fans not understand why this game might not be universally loved sure is something. Like its pretty easy to understand why people wouldnt like the game, even if you personally love it.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who loves the game watching fans not understand why this game might not be universally loved sure is something. Like its pretty easy to understand why people wouldnt like the game, even if you personally love it.
You can not like something but still recognize the quality of something. It's clearly a high quality production with complex and well designed mechanics. It's fine if it's not your thing but they were acting like Kojima just delivered a Duke Nukem Forever. Going to be hard for me to take them serious again.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Aex's review is completely fair, lays out what he enjoyed and what he didn't, and why it didn't all come together to make a satisfying experience. I don't know how you got duke nukem forever of all things from the review text.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Listening to this weeks frametrap on Easy Allies and it's insane to me, what I am hearing coming out of these guys mouths. The whole industry is a mess and needs a reshake imo.

The guy who reviews it seems like he's the most down on it, he literally says the game is a mess, a fantastic mess. but a mess. They say the game is just decent, not amazing, but not terrible like a 7/10. Nearly everything they say makes this game sound like it should have got a 5 or 6 out of ten but they admit that they see a 7 as trash and an 8 as "ok" and not a great game but "decent"

I advise people to listen to it. I really like the Easy Allies team, but I will never trust them when it comes to review scores.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Not liking something is one thing, critically looking at something as a whole and giving a critical review is another. That giant bomb review is as stupid as walking out of something like avatar and saying "The CGI and special effects were shit" just because you didn't like the story.

for example, I personally didn't like end game, but if I were giving it a critical review I'd still give it say a 6 or 7/10 just because it still gets points for being well shot, having great CGI & being a spectacle in general.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aex's review is completely fair, lays out what he enjoyed and what he didn't, and why it didn't all come together to make a satisfying experience. I don't know how you got duke nukem forever of all things from the review text.
I thought it was poorly written and the "A Hideo Kojima" jabs just come off as unprofessional.

but to clarify, I was more speaking about giant bombs behavior around this game. Not the review

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
Not liking something is one thing, critically looking at something as a whole and giving a critical review is another. That giant bomb review is as stupid as walking out of something like avatar and saying "The CGI and special effects were shit" just because you didn't like the story.

for example, I personally didn't like end game, but if I were giving it a critical review I'd still give it say a 6 or 7/10 just because it still gets points for being well shot, having great CGI & being a spectacle in general.

Giant bomb reviews are never just a checklist of "good graphics, so one point for that, bad story, so one point less for that". Jeff repeatedly tells about how that was how they used to work in gamespot and he hated it. Instead scores on giant bomb are overal feelings from a reviewer over the game, and if Alex didn't enjoy his time with it, he should never give it a 3/5 since that says he at least enjoyed it. It's honestly a way of reviewing I hope more people adapt.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Listening to this weeks frametrap on Easy Allies and it's insane to me, what I am hearing coming out of these guys mouths. The whole industry is a mess and needs a reshake imo.

The guy who reviews it seems like he's the most down on it, he literally says the game is a mess, a fantastic mess. but a mess. They say the game is just decent, not amazing, but not terrible like a 7/10. Nearly everything they say makes this game sound like it should have got a 5 or 6 out of ten but they admit that they see a 7 as trash and an 8 as "ok" and not a great game but "decent"

I advise people to listen to it. I really like the Easy Allies team, but I will never trust them when it comes to review scores.
I didn't get the same understanding of the situation. He said it's a very unique experience, the kind you don't forget. He knows the game has flaws and he acknowledges them but he still thinks it's filled with good ideas, good mechanics and great moments. I think you focused too much on the negative because they all said that in the end they loved it.
When you listen to his review the scores fits pretty well imo.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I didn't get the same understanding of the situation. He said it's a very unique experience, the kind you don't forget. He knows the game has flaws and he acknowledges them but he still thinks it's filled with good ideas, good mechanics and great moments. I think you focused too much on the negative.
When you listen to his review it's pretty clear imo.

and I think you're focusing on the positives. He comes across as quite down on it, when the others are gushing, he on a few occasions keeps it straight up and real. They literally use an example at one point that its 90 percent tedium for that one incredible moment, and that moment is incredible.

Don't get me wrong, he clearly does shout out some amazing positives, like above, but the negatives are there in abundance. I am literally quoting him in my original post, did you not hear those points?

They clearly say the game is just decent and not a trashy 7 out of ten. WTF is that?

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Death Stranding is a mess. I'm not convinced all its social features come together very well and its story is boring and the pacing is as smooth as lumpy spuds.

I also think it's really good though, an 8 with caveats makes sense to me.

Stretches of tedium with moments of brilliance scattered in between, that is what this whole game is and why I like it actually

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding is a mess. I'm not convinced all its social features come together very well and its story is boring and the pacing is as smooth as lumpy spuds.

I also think it's really good though, an 8 with caveats makes sense to me.

Stretches of tedium with moments of brilliance scattered in between, that is what this whole game is and why I like it actually

The social features are actually one of the aspects they nailed perfectly.

I fully expect to see other developers implement similar mechanics in the future.

Jan 20, 2019
It took edge 40 hours to reach chaper 5, it took me 45 hours to almost complete the game, there are peopel finishing the game in close to 25 hours.

Soo, i like to understand how this reviewers were saying that it took at least 40 hours, it makes no sense and the IGN review is not really good, they are soo many things to complain but decided to mislead the viewer.

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
and I think you're focusing on the positives. He comes across as quite down on it, when the others are gushing, he on a few occasions keeps it straight up and real. They literally use an example at one point that its 90 percent tedium for that one incredible moment, and that moment is incredible.

Don't get me wrong, he clearly does shout out some amazing positives, like above, but the negatives are there in abundance. I am literally quoting him in my original post, did you not hear those points?

They clearly say the game is just decent and not a trashy 7 out of ten. WTF is that?
I think our "values" are just not aligned. What makes an 8 for you is not what makes an 8 for me or them.
Once again I think his review is pretty self-explanatory. And to me it's the best and most professional review I've seen by a large margin, which is why I always go to them for that, regardless of the final score.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
In late chapter 3, 20 hours in, and it's easily my GOTY so far. I never have the patience to grind side activities, but this game world is so fresh that it's so easy to spend your time doing random shit. And the mechanics are great, whatever tedium there is comes simply from taking on too much cargo or forgetting ladders and such, ie. it's easily avoidable. On top of that every mandatory trek is a short and meaningful one, anything else you inflict on yourself willingly. So my earlier speculation seems to be bearing out: this game is a litmus test to being open to new gameplay experiences. I can imagine this being quite frustrating if you just try to brute force it without learning how the game ticks.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think our "values" are just not aligned. What makes an 8 for you is not what makes an 8 for me or them.
Once again I think his review is pretty self-explanatory. And to me it's the best and most professional review I've seen by a large margin, which is why I always go to them for that, regardless of the final score.

Oh yeah, the body of the review was great. I think I'm just getting a lot more annoyed with review cores. So many reviews, from reading and watching them just don't line up with my own preconception of what I expect to see as a review score number at the end.

We comment on how reviewers only use the 7-10 review scale and we literally having a reputable site proving that what happens. His review seems like a perfect 6 out of ten to me. or an old school EA 3/5.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
This thread really shows why reviewers almost never post here.

You don't like the game and give a score that reflects you don't like the game: You are a joke, you are horeshit, can't take you serious.
You like the game, have some problems with it but still really like it: You just give it higher because it is a big game, you are inflating the score!

It seems no matter which side of the spectrum you fall on this game, one thing is a constant: era will shit on you no matter what.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Didn't Ben already talk about this on the podcast. Eg, the game using moments of punishing dullness to incentivise the player to optimise better ways to traverse later.

Like when you play the game it's really easy to understand this, I think

Randam

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This thread really shows why reviewers almost never post here.

You don't like the game and give a score that reflects you don't like the game: You are a joke, you are horeshit, can't take you serious.
You like the game, have some problems with it but still really like it: You just give it higher because it is a big game, you are inflating the score!

It seems no matter which side of the spectrum you fall on this game, one thing is a constant: era will shit on you no matter what.
You really think this happens only here?

But anyways, when you reviewed the game with your best knowledge and conscience than you should not look at discussions like here.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Ultimately, a lot of this discussion in the nature of "I think the score doesn't reflect the text" means one very simple thing.

An assumption that a lot of these reviewers to be disingenuous at best, liars at worst.

That is not an position that attracts people to engage with you positively.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Are you guys going to be okay with me posting a review of this game here, in December? We didn't get a code but I also don't want to rush this so I can give proper review of it. Plus since no more embargos I want to do an indepth normal review, and I might talk a bit of spoilers

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I don't know, Brad seems to be sort of into it.

Death Stranding is a weird game, it's not strange a group of people would dislike it.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
why are people still like this

they just didn't like a game. they like lots of games, they just didn't like this one. it's okay, it doesn't invalidate you liking it
I don't mind that they don't like games. I just don't appreciate their discourse surrounding those particular games that they don't like.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
10 or so hours in I kind of get the divisiveness. Im leaning more on the positive side, but it also feels like the start of the game is intentionally frustrating just to make it feel liberating as it becomes less so and thats 100% going to mess with a lot of people.

The asynchronous multiplayer stuff is actually truly brilliant in theory, just wtf @ some of these useless placements players are doing.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Anecdotally, there are a few reviews that I read - disagreeing with the reviewer's experience on things they found to be a major pain/negative point.
Such as their experience of falling down a lot, even though L2/R2 mitigates so much of that.
Or struggling to climb a huge mountainous area, when that was a higher-level challenge that could be cleared in a third the time with better pre-planning.
Or that the game was shallow in terms of its systems/gameplay elements.

But that only means their experience for that game is not something I can rely on - for my own assessment of a review. And this happens for many games. Sometimes, someone's experience with a game just so happens to meet at a spectrum or area that doesn't connect with the player right.

And the reason for that is that these reviewers, just like us - are just people. They aren't some machine that exist to crank out the perfect review text and perfect review score.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't mind that they don't like games. I just don't appreciate their discourse surrounding those particular games that they don't like.
the beastcast hour long discussion is one of the more thoughtful conversations about the game that i've heard. they didn't just trash it out of hand, they talked at length about what they did and mostly didn't like

the post you quoted calling them a joke and saying they just decided to make a fuss about an "amazing" game is silly and counterproductive

Jan 20, 2019
Anecdotally, there are a few reviews that I read - disagreeing with the reviewer's experience on things they found to be a major pain/negative point.
Such as their experience of falling down a lot, even though L2/R2 mitigates so much of that.
Or struggling to climb a huge mountainous area, when that was a higher-level challenge that could be cleared in a third the time with better pre-planning.
Or that the game was shallow in terms of its systems/gameplay elements.

But that only means their experience for that game is not something I can rely on - for my own assessment of a review. And this happens for many games. Sometimes, someone's experience with a game just so happens to meet at a spectrum or area that doesn't connect with the player right.

And the reason for that is that these reviewers, just like us - are just people. They aren't some machine that exist to crank out the perfect review text and perfect review score.

I agree, but if you watch the ign review and played the game you see a lot of misleading in that review.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I know - and I've deleted it.

I'm just showing my frustration a little.

Frustration over reviews?

If you're enjoying the game, move on, fam. That you or anyone else is still annoyed by the reviews a week later is depressing as fuck. Your enjoyment of something should cancel out whatever someone has to say about it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ultimately, a lot of this discussion in the nature of "I think the score doesn't reflect the text" means one very simple thing.

An assumption that a lot of these reviewers to be disingenuous at best, liars at worst.

That is not an position that attracts people to engage with you positively.

It's perception, not calling them a 'Liar'

Go and watch this weeks frametap, they literally admit that a 7 out of ten is a low score and an 8 out of ten is decent. it's straight from the horses mouth.

8 out of ten in my book is a great game, truly great. 9 is brilliant/amazing. 10 is a masterpiece and a must play. `

6 to 7 is decent.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
It's perception, not calling them a 'Liar'

Go and watch this weeks frametap, they literally admit that a 7 out of ten is a low score and an 8 out of ten is decent. it's straight from the horses mouth.

8 out of ten in my book is a great game, truly great. 9 is brilliant/amazing. 10 is a masterpiece and a must play. `

6 to 7 is decent.

That's their metric.

It just means that their 8 = 6-7 to you.

Tldr; EZA's numbers are not numbers you can rely on - even if review text is well-written.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Like with every single other game out there. People care way too much about other peoples opinions.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I found the GB review a bit surprising when i started to play the game.

Alex usually stands at the same level as Jeff when it comes to being jaded by what games try to accomplish and how. Even though the level of annoyance spiked any time Kojima's name came up, the way he voiced his criticism seemed logic. But after playing this game and enjoying myself very much, it does seem like his review distilled every single segment of the game into a bottle, which he then drank and spat out while grimacing.

This game feels to me like more than the sum of it's parts. The story, so far, is weird and interesting. The exposition by some of the characters could be better, but there are very interesting moments. These moments, when mixed with the gameplay, beautiful visuals and direction makes for some of the best times i had in recent memory, while playing a video game.

The fact that than Dan hated the game was to be expected because he is the GB child looking for sugar, and he didn't find any. But before playing, watching Alex on the impressions video saying the game is "artless", was very discouraging. Then, i played the game and got very confused because he is flat out wrong.
GB's critical content can be great, and i love the way Jeff writes about games, but it's hard to shake the feeling that GB as a whole seem to make way more sense when all the players are in a room discussing.

Anyway, i'm gonna keep on enjoying the game.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, all I want to do is play this game but life keeps getting in the way.

I have a question I hope someone can answer, can you play music on the go? I got my battery pack upgraded to Lvl. 2 and saw someone said you can play music when you do that. However, I don't see how? Is it possible?

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I have a question I hope someone can answer, can you play music on the go? I got my battery pack upgraded to Lvl. 2 and saw someone said you can play music when you do that. However, I don't see how? Is it possible?
You can't play music outside of your private room.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
After playing half of the game, its clear to me this is the most i have been disconnected from reviews in maybe forever. I usually agree with the opinions of reviewers, but not with this one. Its easily my GOTY (it was Sekiro), and one of the best games of this generation. And personally, playing games for more than 20 years, its a shame someone who is suposed to like videogame say "it fucking sucks" about death strading, in a time that AAA games are filled with the same ideias over and over again. Its like some people are doing a effort to paint a negative picture of one of the most innovative games in this generation. Some review videos made it clear to me that some of the reviewers didnt even try to play the game, like the IGN review.

Jan 20, 2019

It is no possible.

Maybe in the future with a mod on pc. But if you do, it will take way the moments when the environment blands in with the music.