• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Final predictions for Death Stranding?

• 95-99 (Same as MGS2)

Votes: 101 6.4%
  • 90-94 (Same as MGS, MGS3, MGS4, MGSV)

Votes: 487 30.7%
  • 85-89 (Same as MGS: PW)

Votes: 512 32.3%
  • 80-84

Votes: 279 17.6%
  • 75-79

Votes: 135 8.5%
  • <75

Votes: 73 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've said it before but 10/10 doesn't mean the game is perfect, in fact there is no perfect game and you can find flaws in anything, it just means the flaws it had didn't detract away from the overall experience, and the same goes for the low scores no matter how harsh they are as long as that's what the reviewer feels.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I've said it before but 10/10 doesn't mean the game is perfect, in fact there is no perfect game and you can find flaws in anything, it just means the flaws it had didn't detract away from the overall experience, and the same goes for the low scores no matter how harsh they are as long as that's what the reviewer feels.
To add though, it is also perfectly ok to be critical of specific reviews, if you can articulate why reasonably. However, simply stating "all low reviews are dumb" or "this shouldn't get 10s" is just mindless.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
To add though, it is also perfectly ok to be critical of specific reviews, if you can articulate why reasonably. However, simply stating "all low reviews are dumb" or "this shouldn't get 10s" is just mindless.
Sure, disagreeing is fine as long as one is not being obnoxious about it, you can even find reviews with false info/not understanding mechanics which is not wrong to call out.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom
Quoting myself:

"It gets ridiculous in a way that I have never seen before even in the MGS series"

Ive played most MGS games, I loved MGS 4 ... I know about Kojima.
But this right here is too much for me. It crossed the line between charming to outright bad.

Apologies, I had just woken up from a bad night's sleep (I live in one of the flood stricken areas of the UK and there was loud sirens and train blaring their safety horns all night), and was outright slap happy from sleep deprivation when I responded to you.

If it's anything, I do find Death Stranding a much harder plot to follow than MGS. But given the quick turnaround from Silent Hills, I chalk that to Kojima just not letting himself have the time to come up with a fitting story to fit around the mechanical ideas he had for DS.

BaNDaMaN

Nov 1, 2019
20+ hours in. Just started episode 4.
Easy 9/10.
Yes, combat and stealth are shallow.
But that's okay, the game is not about that. For me, the game is about watching this hostile and barren world come alive and tamed by the actions of other players and myself. Roads, shelters, generators all these things that make your life so much easier, and then you realize people are using your stuff and you're making things easier for them.
I've spent the last 14 hours doing side quests and building roads. And thanks to the side quests you unlock more things that make your life easier. And the game feels great to play too, nothing I wrote above would matter if that wasn't the case.
I can see people not liking the game. But it's so much more than a walking simulator or fetch quest: the game.
Also, going into this game expecting deep combat or action in the regular sense is a mistake, I think.
I actually like weird crap like this. I think I'll pick this one up.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
9/10 from Slant

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games...legy-to-the-work-that-binds-a-broken-america/

Honestly I don't think a lot of people expected that given the intense hatred for Kojima one of their editors/writers has and the fact people said they threw a "tantrum" about not getting a review copy and said it Sony getting back at them because they reviewed Days Gone with a low score. Regardless of the score, the review reads really impartial so fair play to them for that, a lot people assume the worst in them and it this case they rose above it.

Jan 20, 2019
9/10 from Slant

https://www.slantmagazine.com/games...legy-to-the-work-that-binds-a-broken-america/

Honestly I don't think a lot of people expected that given the intense hatred for Kojima one of their editors/writers has and the fact people said they threw a "tantrum" about not getting a review copy and said it Sony getting back at them because they reviewed Days Gone with a low score. Regardless of the score, the review reads really impartial so fair play to them for that, a lot people assume the worst in them and it this case they rose above it.

Holy shit, didnt expect that at all.

Props to them.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Spent the last hour and a half driving cargo around of about six standard orders that will surely bring me upgrades only to run into this fucking rock after hours and hours of being conditioned to get out of every one of them. I hate this game.

Any solutions are welcome and I thought the sticky gun would do the trick but of course, it wouldn't because the game decided to give me a migraine instead. I put it in a postbox so HAVE AT IT.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Spent the last hour and a half driving cargo around of about six standard orders that will surely bring me upgrades only to run into this fucking rock after hours and hours of being conditioned to get out of every one of them. I hate this game.

Any solutions welcome and I thought the sticky gun would do the trick but of course it wouldn't because the game decided to give me a migraine instead.

9XALdox.gif
Wrong thread mate!

I'll help anyway though. If I'm not mistaken about the location it looks like you're near the distribution center for south knot. If that's the case then I'd suggest running back on foot getting another truck and parking near this one and moving all your cargo to the new truck. If you/others have built the roads in and around this area it should be pretty easy. Wouldn't get too taxing regardless. You might even be in luck and someone might have left a truck even closer that the distro center, scan and check.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Wrong thread mate!

I'll help anyway though. If I'm not mistaken about the location it looks like you're near the distribution center for south knot. If that's the case then I'd suggest running back on foot getting another truck and parking near this one and moving all your cargo to the new truck. If you/others have built the roads in and around this area it should be pretty easy. Wouldn't get too taxing regardless. You might even be in luck and someone might have left a truck even closer that the distro center, scan and check.

There are about 50 items inside that truck. Over 6 orders. This took a very VERY long time to arrange. I'm so broken right now.

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
There are about 50 items inside that truck. Over 6 orders. This took a very VERY long time to arrange. I'm so broken right now.
Yikes! Something similar happened to me but I it was 2 orders and 20 pieces of cargo and a bench of materials. I was in luck since someone left a truck nearby so I only had to run for about 2 minutes and drive the truck next to the suck truck and move the cargo across. You do know you don't have to move it manually? Just park the 2nd truck nearby, hold square on the 1st stuck truck and in the cargo inventory menu that pops up you'll be able to easily move everything over to the 2nd truck, it'll appear in the same window.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm just gonna turn this game off for today. Because I'm just too miserable over what just happened. For my own physical well-being.

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
There's a moral lesson about greed right there. Though I know that won't be of much help now; Andalusia's advice should work like a spell, otherwise try to go back with a few floating carriers and put all the cargo on them.

Personally, I don't trust in trucks at all for rougher terrains. What happened to you is a clear statement of why "brute-forcing" or approaching every situation in the game with the same solution (as suggested here by others) is simply not optimal.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Just pick up another truck and drive close to that one, open cargo menu and transfer all the stuff from truck 1 to truck 2 in one go, done. It should take your 10 minutes tops to get another truck, drive back and transfer everything.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018

Any solutions are welcome and I thought the sticky gun would do the trick but of course, it wouldn't because the game decided to give me a migraine instead. I put it in a postbox so HAVE AT IT.

Bring another car to unload everything on lol, driving in this game is one of the worst I ran into this gen.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dropped to 82/83 on meta/open after this review:

GameSpew (6/10):
I have to give credit to Hideo Kojima for trying to make something different. For me it didn't pay off, but I did feel there were moments of brilliance here and there. Death Stranding is an ambitious game, but it's also one that's self-indulgent and overwrought. With better pacing and the excising of some of its less flattering content and features, Death Stranding could have been something special. As it is, however, it's just a slog that ultimately turns around and spits in your face.

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I know MetaCritic user reviews don't mean anything, but sometimes when the critical reception isn't super high, the user reviews often highly recommend it. I didn't look into it to avoid spoilers, but it's possible it got review bombed, or in general people really were soured on their experience.

This only happened because a friend asked me to play COD and I told him I don't feel like playing anything but this, it's got me hooked, and suggested he try it. He rebutted with user reviews being low and thinking that might reflect his thoughts.

Last edited:

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What a ride that was, and not in a good way.

Chp 1-3 ( 7/10)
Chp 4-8 (9.5/10)
Chp 9 to end (wtf 5/10)

I guess that ends my dilemma over whether reviewers should finish a game before publishing it. They should. End parts were extremely boring.
82 or maybe 80MC sounds about right.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018

This is weird..why don't youJust jump with the truck?it should work.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Just watched IGN, DunkView, GameSpot and Girlfriend Reviews.

I'm sure IGN and DunkView aren't legitimate reviews.

GameSpot, Girlfriend Reviews, SkillUp (watched pre-release) all understand the basic premise and even the most simplest gameplay mechanics.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Just watched IGN, DunkView, GameSpot and Girlfriend Reviews.

I'm sure IGN and DunkView aren't legitimate reviews.

GameSpot, Girlfriend Reviews, SkillUp (watched pre-release) all understand the basic premise and even the most simplest gameplay mechanics.
Weird timing to bump this old thread with negativity directed at IGN after back-to-back IGN / Death Stranding off-site drama topics were locked.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Weird timing to bump this old thread with negativity directed at IGN after back-to-back IGN / Death Stranding off-site drama topics were locked.
Just a coincidence. I completed the game two days ago. I left the reviews until after in fear of spoilers. I watched Angry Joe's and Girlfriend Reviews yesterday and decided to watch IGN, GameSpot and Dunkey's today.

I started to watch Kotaku's but it's in incoherent mess right from the off.

So anyone who dislikes the game isn't a legitimate review?
Of course not. Have you watched those particular reviews?

I'm sure, just by looking at the footage let alone the commentary, you could work out why they don't seem legitimate. I do expect a video game reviewer to be able to latch on to the simplest of gameplay concepts. It's not a hard game to play, at all. The footage told a different story and the narrative didn't really explain why they found basic traversal so frustrating. That's the core gameplay which those reviews weighted towards that frustration. The footage really is very bad.

Apart from that, Inventory management is overly complicated (even though it's understood) and off-road vehicular traversal doesn't quite feel as I imagine it to be, especially on a bike.

There are things I would change to subtlety reinforce the feeling of responsibility.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Well think about it, PC gamers are more accustomed and welcoming to simulation like games, isn't death stranding a hiking simulator with some more jazz? I could be wrong, so ignore me if I am.

Nah it's a lot more nuanced of an experience than just "X simulator".

It's one of the few games released in recent years where the themes and implications are manifested through its gameplay and not just its narrative.

There's a lot of walking yeah, and it's crystallized in an insanely satisfying gameplay loop, but Death Stranding and the emotions its evokes only work in the form of a video game.