• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 24, 2018
Just beat it last night. I love the traversal in this game and hate the combat with a passion.

Something I can't wrap my head around, is Sam is a BB and Cliff is his father. So is Lou Cliff's son/Sam or is he another BB?

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, her long-game goal was to use him to get the network up faster so she could unleash the Final Strand. The threat of and her ultimate capture by Higgs provided Sam with the motivation he needed to get it done.
Yes, this seems fitting. Man I just love this game. Makes you thinking a lot, just like the Metal Gear Solid stories - even more though.
And can anyone explain to me Sams old photograph.
It's Sam and his deceased, pregnant wife and Bridget.
Something I can't wrap my head around, is Sam is a BB and Cliff is his father. So is Lou Cliff's son/Sam or is he another BB?
Sam is a BB and Cliff is his father, yes. BB-28 (the one you carry around) is just some random other BB.

Demon-69

Oct 15, 2018
Somewhere
I'm kinda sad the track from Apocalyptica is not in the game that shit was so hype and could have worked so well for a combat sequence.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I love the premise of the game (and I loved the gameplay to death), and I'm fine with the broad strokes, but Kojima really needs to stop writing the dialog. He's terrible at writing dialog and he thinks all symbolism and subtext needs to be put on a flashing neon sign because he treats the audience like morons. He literally has his characters announce their own symbolism. I would love for him to just create the basic pitch of the story and then leave the actual writing to someone who's good at it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBhR4QcBtE

There are so many bad writing moments that completely took me out of moment.
  • Everything with the Die Hardman mask was some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen. I could never take the charcter serious with that mask on and when Amelie had it on, it just got even dumber. You know it's him instantly in the flashback, and they try to conceal his face, but I honestly can't tell if it was meany to be so blatantly obvious or not.
  • The 4th wall video game BS with Higgs. Like you already did the health bar thing in MGS4, Kojima. Lets go ahead and ruin this impactful moment with a health bar and stupid slow motion face distortions. I'm higgs and I'm breaking the 4th wall by talking about the final boss fight. It's not clever.
  • Everything with Mama is hard to watch. The actress does a great job with what's there, but he has her do the facebook self hand hug thing and I had so much second hand embarrassment at that scene. And then we eliminate her character just to have her twin show up who is now both characters. And I don't think any of it was needed for the actual plot. It's literally this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w9DUTcAI0o
  • I'm fragile but not that capable of saying my own damn catch phrase. When Sam said it I was like, "FINALLY, someone said it right!"
  • Fragile hands Sam higg's mask and says it's a metaphor. WTF?
  • Every time Heartman gave us likes it ruined the scene completely.
  • Every time sticks and ropes came up. Completely unnatural dialog.
  • Still using code names for every character. Heartman I could understand but mama could have used her real name the whole time and Die-Hardman could have just used another name like Joe or something, but hey let's let the guy with the stupid name and a weird skull mask be the president. Somehow that topped having a president who looked just like Big Boss and nobody noticed.
  • We'll call the rope you have in game a strand, because we need to be more on the nose. Maybe because we spend all this time talking about sticks being used for attacks and ropes bringing people together and then we gave you a rope which you use to knock people out and it kinda ruins our own metaphor, but then we have a gun that was a stick but now it's a rope and oh god this awful.
Just think about all the awesome things in the game. Excellent camera work, set pieces, premise, acting, graphics, atmosphere, gameplay etc. They're all amazing and then they attach it all to this fanfic level writing. Let him go as crazy as he wants on all those other things 'cause he obviously knows what he's doing, but when he writes dialogue, someone needs to come in and slap him in the face to keep him in check.

On a random note, the best twist was finding out the pizza guy was Higgs. I loved that.

hideousarmor

May 9, 2019
  • The 4th wall video game BS with Higgs
  • Fragile hands Sam higg's mask and says it's a metaphor. WTF?
  • Every time Heartman gave us likes it ruined the scene completely
I loved the game in these bits. Felt like it was acknowledging the medium, interacting with the palyer in all those 4th wall moments. Not only that but it was being compeltely absurdist and weird, which is why the ending for chapter 9 was way more compleing than the actual ending of the game, where everything goes back to a super serious "movie game" tone, everything is explained and that sense of wonder or shock is lost.

Even with sam in amelie's beach at the end calling out and voicing the player's concerns with stuff like "this aint over yet right?/must be a bug or something". Not all of these had to be 4th wall breaking moments (or necessarily stupid), but I'd rather take those over nothing because they are more unique to the medium in how they are directly tied to a player's action, how they reward you points or how they directly refference video game features (bugs, boss fights, princess beach...)

I love it whenever games/art/whatever has fun with itself, not everything has to be super serious all of the time in order to be considered worthy or good. If it wasnt for all those moments, I thing i'd have rather watched a death stranding movie.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
Some questions:
I dont quite understand the set up of the whole thing. Amelie says shes being held captive by anti UCA people but wants you to get her at the beach. How can they take her hostage at her own beach?
Why is heartman looking for his family at different beaches when he saw them walk into the water? Shouldnt they have gone through the seam and then to the afterlife?

Valcon

Oct 28, 2017
Chile
Some questions:
I dont quite understand the set up of the whole thing. Amelie says shes being held captive by anti UCA people but wants you to get her at the beach. How can they take her hostage at her own beach?
Why is heartman looking for his family at different beaches when he saw them walk into the water? Shouldnt they have gone through the seam and then to the afterlife?
Amelie lied to Sam for him to do the job of connecting the entire chiral network and causing the last extinction. As for Heartman, each person is supposed to have a different beach.

BoldPrompt

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Amelie's abilities never being truly defined is what ruins Death Stranding's story for me.

Amelie brought Sam back to life as a repatriate, can give Higgs powers, has a Beach that is allegedly on a higher plane than other Beaches, and Fragile even says from what Higgs told her that Amelie can control BTs. Amelie says that she wasn't able to find a way to stop the Final Stranding, but did she try controlling the BTs? If she did, why does that not work? Are there too many to control? Plot dictates she can't stop it, but Amelie is so ill defined, and I have a difficult time buying that just because.

Heck, I looked up the meaning of her name out of curiosity and it means work, not a soul that's a lie or whatever she says. Maybe the name isn't ultimately that important in the end, but calling Amelie a soul that's a lie is quite different from a name that means work or hard working.

driveninhifi

Jun 7, 2018
Ame is soul in French.

that whole twist doesn't really work for me. It either doesn't make sense or amelie came up with the most convoluted plan possible

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I feel like Amelie's abilities never being truly defined is what ruins Death Stranding's story for me.

Amelie brought Sam back to life as a repatriate, can give Higgs powers, has a Beach that is allegedly on a higher plane than other Beaches, and Fragile even says from what Higgs told her that Amelie can control BTs. Amelie says that she wasn't able to find a way to stop the Final Stranding, but did she try controlling the BTs? If she did, why does that not work? Are there too many to control? Plot dictates she can't stop it, but Amelie is so ill defined, and I have a difficult time buying that just because.

Heck, I looked up the meaning of her name out of curiosity and it means work, not a soul that's a lie or whatever she says. Maybe the name isn't ultimately that important in the end, but calling Amelie a soul that's a lie is quite different from a name that means work or hard working.
she doesn't control the dead. she controls a plane in between life and death. the dead that came flooding in are beyond her control. she mentions as much.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Ame is soul in French.

that whole twist doesn't really work for me. It either doesn't make sense or amelie came up with the most convoluted plan possible
Just an eye roll inducing play on words Kojima likes/thinks is clever. If you thought that one was bad, the MGS4 Rat Patrol twist is comical. I really disliked most things with Amelie.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Weird, baffling, and endlessly fascinating. The end was messy but boy oh boy was it enthralling. The game is easily my game of the year unless somehow Jedi Fallen Order manages to impress as it will likely be the last game I pick up this year.

That last scene with Lou and the reveal of the whole of the events with Cliff was excellent.

BoldPrompt

Oct 27, 2017
she doesn't control the dead. she controls a plane in between life and death. the dead that came flooding in are beyond her control. she mentions as much.
When does Amelie mention that?

Looking back through the ending, Fragile says Amelie can control BTs. Probably not all BTs, but she can, apparently. When telling Sam of his two options before handing the gun over, Amelie says expanding the network brought everyone and their Beaches bound to her Beach, "the very Beach where I opened the gates to the other side". During the first set of credits, Amelie's says the BTs entered into our world through her Beach. Amelie mentions she can either do nothing and slowly let extinction happen, or hasten it, which she decided to do. If I glossed over when Amelie says that the BTs coming in are out of her control, the messy writing and dialogue doesn't really make it clear. The only mention of Amelie getting weaker is Bridget dying, seperating Ha and Ka. This is the only mention of her getting weaker if I recall. Of course, BTs were already around before Bridget's death.

In addition, Amelie shuts herself and her Beach away from everyone else, preventing the Last Stranding from occurring. This should, if I'm understanding this right, close off the connection between the living and the dead, and BTs should no longer be around. Why is it then that BTs are still around when Sam returns?

I'll need to watch footage and read through the interviews and info dumps again, but I don't remember anything about the BTs being too much for Amelie. Either the writing doesn't make sense, I'm not understanding concepts correctly in Death Stranding, or as mentioned in the interviews, it's all theoretical.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
"Trump is building a wall, and the U.K. is leaving the EU," said Kojima. "In this game, we use bridges to connect things. But destroying those bridges can instantly turn them into walls. So bridges and walls are almost synonymous. That's one of the things I'd like the players to think about in the game."​
I think I now understand what this game thinks about the chiral network. It's a bridge and a wall, not a strand.
It occurs to me the real life application of this here. How many of our connections would disappear if our access to the internet dropped or the sites we use disappear or go bad? How much should we worry about that?

We kinda have a lot of personal experience on this in this community with a bridge we once used kinda collapsing. Some of the connections we have with each other ended up surviving, but a lot of others were lost by the wall that formed from that bridge collapse.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
Amelie lied to Sam for him to do the job of connecting the entire chiral network and causing the last extinction. As for Heartman, each person is supposed to have a different beach.
But Sam knows how the beach works to some degree so it still doesnt make sense for her to say she traveled all the way east, is being held in edge knot city but come get me at the beach...
Also you can clearly see that Heartmans family share a beach with other people because they were in a bigger "extincition/death event" but that shouldnt matter because isnt walking into the water the way to the afterlife?

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
But Sam knows how the beach works to some degree so it still doesnt make sense for her to say she traveled all the way east, is being held in edge knot city but come get me at the beach...
Also you can clearly see that Heartmans family share a beach with other people because they were in a bigger "extincition/death event" but that shouldnt matter because isnt walking into the water the way to the afterlife?
I don't remember exactly, but wasn't he suprised when Fragile revealed she could traverse physical space using her beach? Also, you can see Heartman's body existing in a physical location when he goes to a beach.

I'm not sure beaches are defined enough to make assumptions, for us and the in game characters. I mean, shit is wierd and they have no wikipedia.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The entire sequence where sam turns blue, you're on the beach and are being made to sit down and just hear Amelie rattle on for an hour is one of the most brutal, eye glazing moments I think I have ever had in a game. That was done horribly. So was it not being a choice, but it still makes you take control in game. I shot her with the entire clip for nothing to happen, so you have to go up and hug her. Just make it a scene...

I thought the Cliff thing was fine, but it being painted as a "twist" like it was is silly. Like yeah, the guy who constantly referred to his child as BB and not by name sure felt natural, and wasn't an obvious coverup for the name being important or anything.

odbilal

Avenger
Jan 22, 2018
At first I thought they were Deadman, Diehardman, Lockne, Fragile, and Heartman. The people who were looking for Sam in the real world and were his link to the real world. Amelie pointed towards them when she said that Sam has a way out of there, which made me think that. More double meaning I guess...lol
Thats what I assumed aswell. Why would the last 5 extinction events have human form?

coldsagging

Oct 27, 2017
Credits rolling. Fantastic game. I finished around 55 hours. Immediate thoughts.

-Loved the gameplay, loved the serenity of exploring the beautiful world. I'd be fully in on a sequel that expanded or added a few more concepts. I don't think we'll get one though.

- Loved the music. Both the licensed and the original score. Low Roar certainly have a new fan here. In fact the sound on the whole was spectacularly well done.

- The bosses were disappointing, I played last 3rd or so on very easy as they weren't engaging or fun for me at all and I just wanted to get them out of the way. Cliff and Higgs were the best, but Cliff is overly repeated.

- The story..uhm, yeah. I've literally just finished so I'll let it stew but definately a mixed bag. I thought the Cliff and Die Hardman bits at the end were good but equally, Amelie is a bit of a mess. To be honest I wouldnt say any character really struck any chords with me. Heartman was cool though, he was probably my favourite. Dead man was quite funny at times too.

Overall though it's up there with Sekiro as my goty and it's probably the most (apart from Sekiro) I've played a game all year.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Amelie controlling Higgs doesn't make sense. If she wanted you to connect everyone, why did she allow Higgs to summon bosses to hinder us?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Yeh really enjoyed the game! I think the pace i went for was perfect. 42 hours to finish the game.

Got stuff to nitpick. The story was good, but could have been executed a bit better...
Someone should tell Kojima we aren't dumb.

-Those Heartman likes were awful.
-Some of the dialogue, and metaphors were bad.
-The whole junker reuniting scene yukkk.
- Amelie evil was obvious
- president on the beach looked a lot like Amelie. So it was clear they're the same person. However it took the game 2 more chapters to reveal that.
- Yeh... uhm why did they have to explain who Diehardman was. Did anyone not get it's the dude from the flashbacks?
- Every living thing has an umbilical cord. Lmao.
- how does destroying the earth, delete the universe...?

Last edited:

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Some questions:
I completely agree with you - his family walked into the water and "passed over". Everyone knows that's the mechnic of how the beaches work and yet he tries to find them....someone should tell him and put him out of his misery.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
For example: Amelie being evil was obvious. Then on the beach we saw a middle aged president who looked an awful lot like Amelie. That's when I realised they are the same person. However it took the game 2 more chapters I think to explain that.

I mean it was obvious they were the same person all the way back at the beginning of the game when bridget jumped at sam and then said, "I love you Sam. I'll be waiting on the beach." And then she turned into Amelie.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember exactly, but wasn't he suprised when Fragile revealed she could traverse physical space using her beach? Also, you can see Heartman's body existing in a physical location when he goes to a beach.

I'm not sure beaches are defined enough to make assumptions, for us and the in game characters. I mean, shit is wierd and they have no wikipedia.
I think Fragile goes there because she has a very high DOOMS score.

Heartman doesn't have high DOOMS, so can only get to the beach by actually "dying". Which the game treats as "heart stopping = pass out/die"...I'm 99% sure that if your heart stops in real life you're still concious, and in a lot of pain...but you know...videogames.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Finally finished it.

I really wanted to be able to kill amalie, but I guess the whole point is that's kinda impossible since she is the goddess of death.
That entire beach explanation part was really weird. it should have been done without the pointless breaks. I wanted a non-stop exposition dump.

Really liked the whole cliff reveal, and also diehardman becomes quite a likable character.

I didn't really think the writing was bad, I'm one of the people who likes kojima's long endings.
and I quite enjoyed the goofy characters and the 4th wall breaking (higgs and heartman are my favourite charcters)

Very special game overall. Can't wait for what kojima does next. I'm not sure how you even make a death stranding 2?
--

Was still kinda confused but reading a summary really cleared some things up.

Amilie/Bridget was in hospital for the first 20 years of her life, and then separated into 2 entities.
She became aware she was the EE, starting doing experiments to try understand if she could stop the extinction.
The Death Stranding was caused when she revived sam, this caused a passageway through the seam that BTs could now use to get through.

Sam grew up, got married, his wife got pregnant, had intense DOOMs due to carrying Sam's DNA. She suicided and it caused a voidout :( which is why sam left bridges and is sad all the time.

The one thing i'm confused about... is what stops the death standing? Is it because EE disconnects her beach, so the passageway is disconnected too?

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Thats funny how different people react to things differently, those heartman scenes were some of my favourite scenes in the game.
I really enjoy kojima's ability to balance serious and goofy.

Haha..yeh I don't think you can call that balance lol! 😂 you are getting emotionally involved and bang, my g send a like like an idiot.

Also: I love Lou. He my buddy 🤩

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Finished it last night. I give Kojima credit for trying his best to tie up loose ends, even if it resulted in long expositions by Amelie.

The Cliff reveal was done pretty well though. And they did drop a lot of clues about it throughout the game.

Also laughed hard at a lot of different parts in the game. The beach running scene was amazingly hilarious. And they kept making die hard jokes at the end for Die-Hardman lol

Turkoop

Oct 25, 2017
Cologne, GERMANY
Hey, I've got some questions, would be great if i get more insight

- So who are the "big five"? We saw them few times. Did they revealed them or are those things the five EE's ?
- How did Cliff got to the beach at the end, when he died many years ago?

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Hey, I've got some questions, would be great if i get more insight

- So who are the "big five"? We saw them few times. Did they revealed them or are those things the five EE's ?
- How did Cliff got to the beach at the end, when he died many years ago?
The big 5 refer to the 5 big mass extinctions that happened before, Cliff was summoned by Amilie.