• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
If Fragile got soaked from head to toe in timefall, wouldn't she have the body of like, an 80 yr old? And if so, how is she able to run and jump around with the same energy of a 30 year old? She should be tired af, and have a bad back.

Outside of the same scene where you see her running, you don't really see her do much physically strenuous stuff in the game, for the most part she's using her jump to get around everywhere.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
She had a porter suit on at the end of the game and was rip roarin ready to go
Maybe her skin is irreparably damaged, but her bones and muscles haven't aged as much because it didn't have time to "soak in"? I mean we're talking about a bullshit concept like the physical manifestation of time that is effected by physics and ceases to be time when it hits a solid surface or body of water. You can probably spin it however you want. Maybe some timefall is more damaging than others (like, when BTs are near)? Don't remember reading anything about that, but tbh, there's a lot of supplemental reading material I skimmed or skipped. I mean, it's not like her hand shatters when she punches Higgs.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Man... I loved the game, and i saw some of the twist coming... but i still have trouble grasping the true meaning of the game... It's obvious a lot of thing aren't meant to be taken literally and you must interpret it differently, but i'm not sure where to start with this one

And unlike mgs2, i'm not sure replaying the game will give me more clues... any good video or article about this?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Higgs: run through timefall NEKKID

*wears underwear*

after so much naked butt reedus I expected actually nudity I guess. (I hated that cutscene though)

Pygrus

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe her skin is irreparably damaged, but her bones and muscles haven't aged as much because it didn't have time to "soak in"? I mean we're talking about a bullshit concept like the physical manifestation of time that is effected by physics and ceases to be time when it hits a solid surface or body of water. You can probably spin it however you want. Maybe some timefall is more damaging than others (like, when BTs are near)? Don't remember reading anything about that, but tbh, there's a lot of supplemental reading material I skimmed or skipped. I mean, it's not like her hand shatters when she punches Higgs.

Timefall ages things it touches and as soon as it hits it turns into normal water again. So it is most likely just her skin that has aged horribly. People also need to remember time fuckery is just something that you can fully explain here when it comes to people with a beach. Fragile coud just spend time on her beach and not age.

Lamiafusion

Nov 24, 2017
While playing the end of this game (~ last 4 hours), I had to make the decision to put down my pup (IRL). BB's Theme hits like a fucking truck.

Deleted member 59992

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2019
Sam will say some funny things if you press the touchpad during the Beach credits sequence.

Z1XPliq.jpg

fXuDXNK.jpg

6ldSvb5.jpg

dHT442a.jpg

HeyNay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere
Another thing I don't get is... if Sam is Bridget's (adopted?) son, why does he even need a job? She's the President, so shouldn't she be able to keep him posted up somewhere with at least his basic needs taken care of? Also, I found it strange that when she died and he was asked to incinerate her it was done with little fanfare, no goodbyes, and no emotions. Like, that's your mom dude! I feel like I missed something.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Another thing I don't get is... if Sam is Bridget's (adopted?) son, why does he even need a job? She's the President, so shouldn't she be able to keep him posted up somewhere with at least his basic needs taken care of? Also, I found it strange that when she died and he was asked to incinerate her it was done with little fanfare, no goodbyes, and no emotions. Like, that's your mom dude! I feel like I missed something.
Well, he was part of her Chiral Network master plan, so he must be trained to be a porter from the get go. (I think)

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

I guess they weren't really close honestly, he left the company for his family and abandoned it all, Bridget probably didn't care about him that much other than his role, she probably was too invested on her own plans. He also does a little goodbye at the incinerator. I took him as a really reserved guy.

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Outside of the same scene where you see her running, you don't really see her do much physically strenuous stuff in the game, for the most part she's using her jump to get around everywhere.
My theory here is that just the skin aged like a case is aging in time fall not whats in there until the case is ruined couse skin is a natural barrier to keep out everything of the body.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else kind of enjoyed the combat encounters with Cliff? I know not everyone will but I dug them. The setpieces you walk through look awesome, with Vietnam being my favorite. Combat-wise, I think episode 4 was the weakest since you just stay in the trenches but I liked episodes 7 and 11. Here i was ducking and moving from cover to cover, munching on cryptobiotes, throwing nades at groups of enemies, taking the high ground, etc. It's very reminiscent of MGS but with less mechanics involved of course. I think episode 11 was the best since the area is a lot bigger, giving you more freedom, and the nighttime made it feel more tense.

I also find the slow-mo effect satisfying after blasting them with my gun letting me know they're dead unlike other games that usually give you a marker to indicate this. Yeah the AI is pretty shoddy but at least it helps compensate trying to aim with a controller, lol. Also I find it hilarious how you stack a bunch of weapons and gear on your back while you're hunting whereas in other games they would just go in your inventory.

I guess I just appreciated the change in pace. The combat encounters felt old school in a way but with modernized graphics.
I LOOVE those sequence, hence why i can't be friends with a lot of people on Era who hated the sequence.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
Finished it last night at 2am and went to bed, and now I think I am able to process my feelings on this game somewhat.

I have to give some respect to Kojima for making the game that he wanted to make in the end, seemingly with little compromise that I could tell. The game is not my favorite game by any means. Fuck, the game is not even close to being my favorite game of this year alone. But I'm kinda settling on an overall "it was.... not bad."

This game is definitely more than the sum of its parts. The game had a lot of stuff I did not like, at all. Dealing with BTs was more an exercise in annoyance, as it always tended to drag the game down considerably, both in terms of enjoyment and in terms of pacing. I feel like invisible enemies is hard to deal with anyway, but it wasn't very well executed here (although, my mind is reminded of those invisible enemies from Resident Evil Revelations 2 and how annoying those were to deal with; I couldn't imagine dealing with that for 30+ hours). And the enemies that you can see are not great either, as it's a lot of Sam inresponsively stumbling around through tar seas. The combat is acceptable... but the encounters really let it down. I do not think that you should have fought Cliff three separate times when his boss fight is pretty much the same each time. Fighting stuff like Higgs's giant man BT or the giant whale BT are cool in theory, not cool in execution when you're just blindly firing up, can barely see what's going on around you, and you're just fumbling through tar shit or getting stuck on stage geometry.

But the game does excel in pretty breathtaking landscapes and the travel, can at times be something to really take in. This is of course when you're traversing an area that wasn't just made to annoy you (like having to deal with rocks everywhere while on a bike).

The story is... well, it's pretty dumb. Not fun-dumb like in a MGS, Policenauts, or Snatcher kind of way. It's just... really, really dry. It has one real theme that it never stops shouting until the end of the game and it never has the characters let up in shouting this theme of connectivity. The characters are mostly one-dimensional to the point where Kojima has to have their main character trait as their name for people to not miss this. Higgs' performance is mostly betrayed by a pretty stilted script, but then you fist fight him and that's over with, I guess. And then Chapter 10 up to the end of the game starts getting filled with exposition dumps to explain every. single. loose end in excruciating detail. And it's usually stuff the player has already figured out or another character literally told you before. I did think that the game was going to stick the landing with Die-Hardman's breakdown (although hammy, there is genuinely some good acting here) and the trip to the incinerator. But... then it is more cutscenes and a twist about Sam that... I am not sure was entirely needed for this story, but was more a twist for the sake of it. If someone were to ask me to describe my feelings on the story of this game, my reply would be "exhausting."

In all, I don't regret that I bought this for full price. I don't regret that I played through the game, because nothing would have done it true justice for me than going through it myself. But am I eager for more Death Stranding in the future? Nah, not really. Is this a game I will ever play again? To be perfectly honest, probably not. But this was all a different type of experience from most games these days, so I have to give Kojima credit for that.

... and now I really want to play Red Dead Redemption 2 after DS's open world for some reasom, as I've never played it and now there's a PSN sale on it. Odd.

I just finished the game a few minutes ago and I don't even need to write down my thoughts, because you describe my experience with the game perfectly.

This game had some of the best (moment-to-moment travel, visual style etc.) and some of the worst (BTs, gunfights, story) elements I've ever seen in a game.

I don't regret playing it, it was an interesting experience, but I don't think I will ever touch it again.

I don't even know if I will touch the next game from Kojima because of his pseudo-intellectual story-telling, but let's see what he comes up with.

EDIT: But I have to add I loved Lou.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
hated the beach-credits lore dump while playing but the further I get from it, the more I actually kind of like it. It's still extremely clunky but now that I'm not in the moment I can appreciate it more.

Gunter

Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Anyone figure out what the 'bright light' at the Incinerator and Capital Knot was all about? They were mentioned in emails.

Wetherell

Nov 26, 2019
I like Deadman's change in attitude about BBs. At first he tells you not to get attached, they are just equipment. Then says a powerful line: "unborn children sacrificed on the altar of progress is our greatest sin". It's also pretty interesting that Sam is made to kill Lou but is attached to her and saves her. It's interesting to have a game that makes the case that a fetus is a person and has players get attached to them. Not something I see too often.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about this game's ending gives me multiple layers of headaches.

I literally don't know where to begin to process this.

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
I thought the ending and story overall was mostly straightforward, albeit weird, but the only thing I didn't really get in the end was how Lou exists in the same universe as Sam. Did I miss something about other BBs being clones or something?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Just finished it. 60 hours. That was an ENDING. I really, really like how Kojima really went "soft" with this climax. You get that hilarious set of big set piece boss fights with the giant, Higgs, Vietnam, and then the GIANT WHALE. But the climax itself ends as the game began - with you doing a simple hike and just piecing things together and seeing how everything fit together.

The beach credits was a huge troll though. So damn annoying. Looooooooool.

From the start of the game I suspected Amelie wasn't real, and by the Vietnam chapter I was suspecting that Lou wasn't Cliff's kid but Sam was. I wonder what speculation would be like if Kojima didn't decide to go all out with the explanation. The final few chapters actually felt like Kojima trying to channel Nolan hard with the "twists" that were there all along, but making sure the audience understood it by explaining it in a straightforward way over and over.

I love the world, the characters, the scifi weirdness, the spirutual weirdness, and just seeing Kojima go all out and be free from Metal Gear is a sight to behold!

I thought the ending and story overall was mostly straightforward, albeit weird, but the only thing I didn't really get in the end was how Lou exists in the same universe as Sam. Did I miss something about other BBs being clones or something?
Lou isn't Cliff's baby. Never was. Sam sees the memories when he connects to BB because they're his own repressed memories from his time as a BB in a pod ages ago. All that stuff about redacted service record and the Ludens keychain are red herrings. The service record was redacted because Bridges was covering up stuff about ALL BBs. The Ludens thing is just a coincidence.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Got a couple questions

- so the ending : they prevented the six extinction by... talking to amelie so she stay lonely on the beach without causing the death stranding?? But what WOULD cause the death stranding anyway?? Her Ha is dead and her ka remains on the beach... the only thing she didnt need to do is loosing hope and giving higgs his powers.

- Talking about that, was amelie and bidget the same entities?? What i mean is, from what i could tell, she was born human, at 20yo got to a hospital and her ha and ka separate, at that point, does Amelie begin to be her own person or is she and the president still the same person?
What i mean is, it seems like the president (ha) wanted to do all the hard work on the bridge baby and connecting the world together, up until the point of 3 years ago when she send amelie to the first expedition. her Ka(amelie) than went missing so i believe this is were they separate, because amelie meet higgs 1 year before the start of the game and give him power

- i dont understand why we just unlock the different colored version of the suit just in the ending, whyyy

- there something that unlock in the private room called cliff something. The only thing i could find was 3 new interviews and some mails but that's it.

- there was someone who posted some screenshot of the game in the OT called one last delivery with something on his back which was gold plated, like a sort of package i never before, but maybe it was a quest from a prepper?? I know the image was from the mountain..

- there is a few preppers i didnt do still in the mountain, the only optional one i did was the first prepper for the pizza, is there one other that is fun to do (à la ConanOBrian)?

- why does the rain in one of BB's memory with cliff and the rain at the ending didn't seems to age people?

- Why would they show an anemite or a whale with an ombilical cord? Aren't just EE that have intact umbilical cord?

A little review of me. I really liked the game but i wish i liked it more to be honest. I prefer games with linear or choices, must be why i prefer metal gear to death stranding in term of delivering the story

- In the photograph Sam have, you see Sam, Bridget and Amelie? But amelie is pregnant?

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
There are a few questions I think I can answer:

- why does the rain in one of BB's memory with cliff and the rain at the ending didn't seems to age people?

In this world, Timefall transforms into regular water as soon as it touches something. That's why the water (from Cliff's coat?) in the BB memory didn't affect Cliff, and also why Mama could drink rain water when she was stuck in the rubble.

In the ending, the Death Stranding is over so the rain is no longer Timefall, but regular rain.

- In the photograph Sam have, you see Sam, Bridget and Amelie? But amelie is pregnant?

In this photograph, I'm pretty sure it's Sam, Bridget, and Sam's wife (pregnant with Sam's child).

- there something that unlock in the private room called cliff something. The only thing i could find was 3 new interviews and some mails but that's it.

Are you talking about Memories & Nightmares (or something like that)? They are accessible when looking at the green miniatures behind the bed. Basically it makes you replay the chapters where you fight Cliff.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The funny thing is the game basically tells you that Bridget is Amalie at the very beginning on her death bed with the whole "I'll be waiting for you on the beach" line before she dies.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Honestly, the weakest part of this whole game (it took me a whole week to figure out what it was even though I enjoyed the game)... the weakest part is the lead up to the hospital room scene with Cliff dying. All the flash backs and the lead up to that and that scene. It was not interesting for me. A weak as heck hallway confrontation between him and the guards and a younger Die Hardman. The boss fights were great. The cutscenes and story overall was good or okay.. But I wish there was just a better focus to Cliff coming into the world and it being a warzone. Aside from just the bosses. I think Cliff coming back and having resentment and showing it is far far more interesting than the constant flash back to the hospital and that conclusion. I think at the beginning of this development, Kojima thought that it would be intriguing to see what happened. But it really is not in my opinion. The way he gets killed and the conversations that happen near and around it. Bridget wanting the BB unit of his. It getting shot and getting repaired. I just think it was weak. I liked my 42 hours in it though.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The funny thing is the game basically tells you that Bridget is Amalie at the very beginning on her death bed with the whole "I'll be waiting for you on the beach" line before she dies.
Yeah i didnt see that as some big secret as some folks are making it out to be. I know she said she was her daughter, but you could tell a mile away that it was just the president continuing her conversations.

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
Lou isn't Cliff's baby. Never was. Sam sees the memories when he connects to BB because they're his own repressed memories from his time as a BB in a pod ages ago. All that stuff about redacted service record and the Ludens keychain are red herrings. The service record was redacted because Bridges was covering up stuff about ALL BBs. The Ludens thing is just a coincidence.

Ahh, now I get it. For some reason I thought they were implying that Lou was Sam and Sam was Lou, but if that was all just Sam's memories, then it makes sense. Guess that would also explain how Lou keeps synching up with his still mother, considering Sam's mother was very obviously dead after being shot in the head.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I still really don't understand Amelie's plan and strategy to achieve it. It's the most contrived thing in the game which is bad since it is the main driver for a long time.

Why exactly did she need Sam to link up the network? We learn by the end that she never got captured by the Homo Demens. So in that case why even all the acting and lying? She could have just continued her work with the second implementation team since she got the first one through every BT territory safe apparently. Sam is not really needed here and he certainly slowed down the process having to wait for him show up one day.

Why did Amelie give Higgs any power if all he does is slow down the extinction by causing havoc and slowing Sam down and destroying knot cities that Amelie needs? I really can't find any answer to that. Even if Higgs got mad, as far as I can tell he still wants to cause the extinction anyway, sooo.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I still really don't understand Amelie's plan and strategy to achieve it. It's the most contrived thing in the game which is bad since it is the main driver for a long time.

Why exactly did she need Sam to link up the network? We learn by the end that she never got captured by the Homo Demens. So in that case why even all the acting and lying? She could have just continued her work with the second implementation team since she got the first one through every BT territory safe apparently. Sam is not really needed here and he certainly slowed down the process having to wait for him show up one day.

Why did Amelie give Higgs any power if all he does is slow down the extinction by causing havoc and slowing Sam down and destroying knot cities that Amelie needs? I really can't find any answer to that. Even if Higgs got mad, as far as I can tell he still wants to cause the extinction anyway, sooo.
I felt the point was that Amelie doesn't have a plan. It's definitely told in a rather contrived way because a big part of it was about deceiving the player so not everything makes perfect sense, but I think that Amelie was really just throwing every at the wall to see what sticks based on her visions, and she made lots of mistakes and lies which she tried to cover up with more lies.

Why did she influence Higgs and create the Homo Demens? Because that was one vision she saw and so I guess she tried that out. Why did she establish all the Knots and Waystations? Because that was another vision and she was trying it out too. Why did she lie about being kidnapped? Maybe because she didn't want anyone at Edge Knot finding out the truth about her at the end of the expedition, or maybe someone actually did and she had to kill them all to cover it up. Why did she need Sam? She didn't need him, she WANTED him. Sam is her only connection to her human side and the only mistake she corrected out of a crisis of conscience instead of trying to further any of her plans. But then she also saw a vision of a future what Sam could do, and kinda tried that too.

Also, it's worth noting that not everything Amelie did was to hasten the Last Stranding. At first, she tried to stop it, then she tried to understand it, then she tried to hasten it, but she also clearly holds back or opens herself to the possibility of being stopped at different times. Because she is alone, confused, and has too much information and no guidance on how to act on any of it. She is the only one who ever truly understood herself, everyone else was someone she had to lie to, so they can't truly help her. She was only able to be honest with Sam at the very end.

Bridget might be a terrible person who has done really bad things, but in the end she isn't this super intelligent all knowing villainess who has a grand plan that all makes sense and you stopped it because you beat her at her game. She is more like a lost god who has too much power and sort of went mad trying to figure out her own purpose, and she really just wanted a hug in the end. Lol.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Finished the game yesterday. While I enjoyed the boss fight against Higgs, everything surrounding that fight is just so terrible that I couldn't tell if Kojima was fucking with us. From the princess beach line to the terrible "I'm not that fragile" line that she kept repeating, and then her big one liner basically being what equates to 'no u'. End it all with Sam and Amelie frolicking on the beach while that cheesy music plays and I just couldn't contain myself from exploding in laughter.

I think the scariest part is the fact that I can't even say 100% that Kojima intended that all to be dumb and hilarious. If that shit was supposed to be taken seriously...I honestly don't know what to say.

Alastor3

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game yesterday. While I enjoyed the boss fight against Higgs, everything surrounding that fight is just so terrible that I couldn't tell if Kojima was fucking with us. From the princess beach line to the terrible "I'm not that fragile" line that she kept repeating, and then her big one liner basically being what equates to 'no u'. End it all with Sam and Amelie frolicking on the beach while that cheesy music plays and I just couldn't contain myself from exploding in laughter.

I think the scariest part is the fact that I can't even say 100% that Kojima intended that all to be dumb and hilarious. If that shit was supposed to be taken seriously...I honestly don't know what to say.
i hated that fist fight with higgs, because it was so beautifully done in Metal gear solid 4 and it had meaning, here it's just a replica and i just felt nothing because i dont know nothing about higgs

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
i hated that fist fight with higgs, because it was so beautifully done in Metal gear solid 4 and it had meaning, here it's just a replica and i just felt nothing because i dont know nothing about higgs

I concur. I wonder if this is how the MGS4 fist fight felt to those who never played any of the other games?

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
There are a few questions I think I can answer:

In this world, Timefall transforms into regular water as soon as it touches something. That's why the water (from Cliff's coat?) in the BB memory didn't affect Cliff, and also why Mama could drink rain water when she was stuck in the rubble.

Wait, I don't get this point, so if the falling rain touches **something else** before it touches your skin you dont get the effects of aging?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, I don't get this point, so if the falling rain touches **something else** before it touches your skin you dont get the effects of aging?

Exactly.

The timefall effect wears off after first contact.

That's how Malingen (Mama) was able to "survive" being trapped under rubble for so long. The water she drinks is rainwater that's dripping from above her. Normally the timefall would age her.