• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
Finally beat the game at 84 hours, earlier this morning. I quite enjoyed it, and it's only been a few hours, but I appreciate it more and more with time. I think I'll go for the platinum.

Thought that some of the dialogue could have been edited down, especially some of the exposition dump scenes, but ehh, that's Kojima.
Cliff's storyline was a highlight for me, and I thought Mads and Tommy Earl Jenkins were standouts.

Didn't really like the last two BT boss fights, especially the whale. Cliff's boss fights were cool, and I liked the Vietnam one the best because I could stealth it in the tall grass.

I'm looking forward to whatever Kojima puts out next.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Ok, i'm at chapter 6, but can't force myself to continue. I really find it too tedious and find the story unappealing.
I guess it's just not for me, which is alright. Just hugely disappointed :(

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So is it really necessary to extend the end beach sequence for no reason like Kojima did? I finally forced myself to finish the game. Im currently at the beach sequence with Ameilie and you literally just have to run until the next lore dump and repeat this process? Really?

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else encountered forced necros? I hit the Timefall Farm, and now all of a sudden all my previous saves are talking about a dead body. Which is annoying me to no end, now.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
Anyway, I just finished the game (With 40 something yours).

I really liked it, the story is very interesting and I was relieved to see that practically everything is answered in the end (really, really liked the ending). The combat is weak, and the script has some shameless moments, but it didn't spoil my experience at all. I found the gameplay loop quite addictive, as well as the strand system (I spent a few good hours doing a zipline system in the mountains). Visually it's almost a flawless game, perhaps one the best of the generation so far (Diehard Man's model is unbelievable).

Overall, it's a 8.5 game for me (didn't play many games this year, but this one is by far my GOTY). It's a shame the game is being compared and criticized for not doing what other recent games did. I think this was never the goal of this game.

InternHertz

Oct 25, 2017
Brussels, Belgium
I finished the game at 98% trophies yesterday, clocked at 118h and some minutes.

Tonight I'll get the last memory chips I need (I got half of them already) and hopefully this will give me the last 5 interviews I need to read.
Those are the only two trophies I still need for the platinum.

I really liked the story and I'm also glad that my theory of Sam being BB was in fact correct :D
I had some blanks in the theory but the game answered them for me so I feel happy with it.
The performances given by Mads Mikkelsen and especially Tommie Earl Jenkins were fabulous.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
hi all, I just finished the game yesterday... I think.
post credits it brought me back 2 weeks before the president's speech and they are asking me to do some deliveries to pass time.

Do I really have to do this from a story perspective?
Or is it just a way to 100% the game?

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone else encountered forced necros? I hit the Timefall Farm, and now all of a sudden all my previous saves are talking about a dead body. Which is annoying me to no end, now.
Just ignore it, at some point you'll get a message about there being a voidout due to the body going necro and the game will force you to load your most recent save as punishment but you won't have to worry about it again after that.

Be sure to manual save quite often and keep on top of the massive save sizes.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
Just ignore it, at some point you'll get a message about there being a voidout due to the body going necro and the game will force you to load your most recent save as punishment but you won't have to worry about it again after that.

Ah, good. Thank you kindly for that tidbit! I was worried, since I was in no mood to restart a save from a dozen hours again. One last question. What's the point of Fragile giving me the option of fast travel if I can't actually carry my cargo? Seems like it defeats the purpose of why I want to fast travel in this game.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Ah, good. Thank you kindly for that tidbit! I was worried, since I was in no mood to restart a save from a dozen hours again. One last question. What's the point of Fragile giving me the option of fast travel if I can't actually carry my cargo? Seems like it defeats the purpose of why I want to fast travel in this game.
well... if you could teleport anywhere carrying cargo this would defeat the entire point of the game.

Fragile is there to help you go from one side of the continent to the other instantly in case you left some deliveries pending in the first area, or want to build some structures / rise the star ratings of the preppers.

And about the "imposed" necro bodies and void-outs : you're not supposed to kill the mules just kick them unconscious. If you do kill someone, you have to take the body to an incinerator to avoid the consequences. And depending where you are it can be difficult.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
well... if you could teleport anywhere carrying cargo this would defeat the entire point of the game.

Fragile is there to help you go from one side of the continent to the other instantly in case you left some deliveries pending in the first area, or want to build some structures / rise the star ratings of the preppers.

And about the "imposed" necro bodies and void-outs : you're not supposed to kill the mules just kick them unconscious. If you do kill someone, you have to take the body to an incinerator to avoid the consequences. And depending where you are it can be difficult.

Well, that seems rather pointless to give me the option of fast travel, then. It would be a useful feature in a post-game setting, but having fast travel just to arrive with no cargo and having to either plan cargo at specific point or just walk all the way to another specified station makes the feature somewhat useless.

Regarding the MULEs, I didn't kill anyone. I have no idea what the game is talking about, and apparently it happens randomly to some people if Reddit is correct. Somehow, the game "registers" a death of a MULE even when you never interact with them outside of running or biking past them (which is usually what I mostly do).

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So is it really necessary to extend the end beach sequence for no reason like Kojima did? I finally forced myself to finish the game. Im currently at the beach sequence with Ameilie and you literally just have to run until the next lore dump and repeat this process? Really?

I think it's at least somewhat intentional.

Time moves infinity slower at the Beach. According to Deadman you were at the Beach for a month in IRL time, which must be a small eternity in Beach-time. I'm sure you were supposed to feel helpless with nothing to do and have a feeling of the sequence lasting forever because that's basically what happened.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Well, that seems rather pointless to give me the option of fast travel, then. It would be a useful feature in a post-game setting, but having fast travel just to arrive with no cargo and having to either plan cargo at specific point or just walk all the way to another specified station makes the feature somewhat useless.

Fast travel is for picking up missions, not for actually doing them. It's useful post-game if you're trying to 5 star a few remaining facilities or to reach level 60 in certain rating categories. Fast travel to the facilities that have orders with the most likes of the mission type you need or orders with the destination you need to max out. Otherwise you're wasting time doing useless missions going back to places that you've already maxed out.

For example Timefall Farm seems to have the most time-sensitive missions which is what I needed to max out so I just picked up a mission there, delivered it and fast traveled back.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me Tommy Earl Jenkins acted his fucking soul out in that last chapter. I was really meh on his character for the majority of the game but goddamn. Especially the scene with Sam and him outside of his inauguration. Just amazing acting.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's at least somewhat intentional.

Time moves infinity slower at the Beach. According to Deadman you were at the Beach for a month in IRL time, which must be a small eternity in Beach-time. I'm sure you were supposed to feel helpless with nothing to do and have a feeling of the sequence lasting forever because that's basically what happened.

This is my take as well, i think it works but i empathize w the complainers

I think it's really cool that the ending felt both long and short

MoosetheMark

May 3, 2019
Death Stranding was Game of the Year for me right until the ending. I may have let my expectations get the better of me, because given the bizarre apocalyptic setting, Kojima's rep, and the amount of "HOLY SHIT THAT ENDING *spoilers*" I scrolled past, I was hoping for/expecting a massive, mindblowing, universal-scale ending, which never really happened.

Basically I was hoping for Kojima's version of End of Evangelion, and while I really liked how the game ended and was satisfied, I needed something a little "bigger" for it to 100% stick the landing for me.

I still adored the game, but on reflection after beating it, it's number 2 for me this year, just under Sekiro.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
Basically I was hoping for Kojima's version of End of Evangelion, and while I really liked how the game ended and was satisfied, I needed something a little "bigger" for it to 100% stick the landing for me.

I still adored the game, but on reflection after beating it, it's number 2 for me this year, just under Sekiro.

When you wake up at the red beach of Amelie the game reminded me a lot of the ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched it for the first time a few months ago. For me the revelations in the ending were pretty big despite having to browse this very thread to understand them all.

But I am 100 % behind your opinion. Solid number 2 after Sekiro in this year.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Death Stranding was Game of the Year for me right until the ending. I may have let my expectations get the better of me, because given the bizarre apocalyptic setting, Kojima's rep, and the amount of "HOLY SHIT THAT ENDING *spoilers*" I scrolled past, I was hoping for/expecting a massive, mindblowing, universal-scale ending, which never really happened.

I dunno. I thought the last few chapters were not well written although they had some Stand-out moments. But the ending blew my mind. So beautifully directed, and the writing was actually good and not on the nose. It's clear Kojima is truly capable of genius but really needs others around him to contain and make crisp the writing.

mads needs to win the best acting award by far. It was flawless.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina

When you wake up at the red beach of Amelie the game reminded me a lot of the ending of Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched it for the first time a few months ago. For me the revelations in the ending were pretty big despite having to browse this very thread to understand them all.

But I am 100 % behind your opinion. Solid number 2 after Sekiro in this year.

I have it at number 2 as well, I stopped puting games above or below others but because doing list is more or less fun I had to decide which one deserved the number 1 the most (personally, they're on the same tier imo) and while Sekiro is not perfect it is more consistent in my eyes. Death Stranding is a unique game which would elevate it just for that but you have to make quite a few concesions to enjoy it.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Did anyone notice that when you used your cuff links to cut the cords of BTs, the BTs would give you likes? Almost as if they were happy you did that for them...

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
Also, why did cliff have to shoot his wife?
I believe she was a stillmother and them keeping her on life support is what allowed Sam to act as a BB. Once Cliff shoots her then Sam's connection to the other side is severed and they have no use for him as a BB anymore. Cliff was trying to save him from that life.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
So just for my own sake:

The twist is that your BB (BB-28?) is not Cliff's, you are Cliff's, and your BB is just a random BB?

Also is it me or was Die-Hardman's crying, pant leg tugging monologue at the end kind of abrupt and absurd? He's like "Oh hey Sam, by the way, gotta tell you something."
*fastforward two minutes later*
"OH GOD WHYYYYYY"
Sam: "dude get a fucking grip"

Based on all the praise people were giving to his actor (he did a great job regardless) and how the game was setting him up, I thought he was going to be the final boss and have some big ulterior motive, but all of that was for that one melodramatic outburst?

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States

This is EXACTLY how I feel right down to Sekiro. I guess it's my own fault for expecting space armor on the moon, haha!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So just for my own sake:

The twist is that your BB (BB-28?) is not Cliff's, you are Cliff's, and your BB is just a random BB?

Also is it me or was Die-Hardman's crying, pant leg tugging monologue at the end kind of abrupt and absurd? He's like "Oh hey Sam, by the way, gotta tell you something."
"OH GOD WHYYYYYY"

Based on all the praise people were giving to his actor (he did a great job regardless) and how the game was setting him up, I thought he was going to be the final boss and have some big ulterior motive, but all of that was for that one melodramatic outburst?
Die Hardman monologue is much more eye opening when you realised he knew all along that you are Cliff's son

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"OH GOD WHYYYYYY"

This was me. After a great game there were many things that I deeply disliked once last 5 hours starts rolling in.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
So just for my own sake:

"OH GOD WHYYYYYY"

Yeah that whole story had zero payoff for me. They hype him up the whole game is this possibly secret bad guy, but then it just turns out that someone else used his hand to kill his buddy, which removes any dramatic tension because it's not even his fault.

I also don't think Tommy Earl Jenkin's performance is all that great. It feels hammy and over done to me. He puts odd pauses in a lot of the sentences. It never felt natural to me. The facial mocap on him is good and he's good at physically emoting, but I don't feel the voice work was as as top notch as everyone claims.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Die Hardman monologue is much more eye opening when you realised he knew all along that you are Cliff's son

I get that but the complete emotional 180 he pulls is so incredibly wacky that you're just left wondering if there was any more sensical way for this interaction to occur.

In a way it's admirable that Kojima wrote Sam to basically just be Norman Reedus, because he reacts in the most hilariously dismissive or understated ways to everything, but it unfortunately shows how unbalanced the writing is when one person is acting like a normal human and the other is essentially Metal Gear cartoonish.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017

yeah the monologue makes much more sense with this in mind; he's been avoiding it all along despite knowing full well of what was going on, sees Cliff as a pissed off wraith who still couldn't move on decades later, and now that he's about to be president, he's going to have to force himself to make some changes, including for himself

the breakdown was essentially one long "I am sorry for killing your father, setting you up to be raised under false pretenses by the person who was also responsible for the deaths of your father, maybe your mother, and your own experimentation (and your temporary death too which kickstarted the death stranding), and then manipulated you into doing all of this mess."

with that said, it was an interaction that should have happened immediately after they saved Sam while emotions were still high and he was still dealing with seeing Cliff again, not like two weeks later

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah the monologue makes much more sense with this in mind; he's been avoiding it all along despite knowing full well of what was going on, sees Cliff as a pissed off wraith who still couldn't move on decades later, and now that he's about to be president, he's going to have to force himself to make some changes, including for himself

the breakdown was essentially one long "I am sorry for killing your father, setting you up to be raised under false pretenses by the person who was also responsible for the deaths of your father, maybe your mother, and your own experimentation (and your temporary death too which kickstarted the death stranding), and then manipulated you into doing all of this mess."

with that said, it was an interaction that should have happened immediately after they saved Sam while emotions were still high and he was still dealing with seeing Cliff again, not like two weeks later

Right. It works, really. You should have to always be 'on' to the fact that these people understood what they were doing.

Nov 13, 2017
Just finished last night after 92 hours. Loved it.

Still need time to process everything, but this might be Kojima's cleanest storytelling to date.

Oct 27, 2017
There's actually a baby being shot and dying, depicted in all of its horror, in a video game.

That made me go "woah how come moral guardians didn't get up in arms at this"

closer

Oct 25, 2017

Not necessary but the feeling that it is too long is likely intentional. Could have been done more gracefully but i still appreciate that he went for it

Deleted member 19767

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I finished the game last night. I definitely enjoyed the first half more than the back half.

There was some great stuff there and I particularly enjoyed Cliff's storyline. However the lengthy cutscenes, forced combat/bosses, and the back loaded nature of the story - made it all feel like a drag. I would have preferred that some of the reveals landed earlier in the game so that it was spaced apart a bit. That would have given some of the big moments some breathing room and perhaps some more opportunities for explanation via the NPCs.

I felt the Amelie/Bridget twist was awful, and the extinction entity stuff was a decent idea - but the execution was rough.

All in all I enjoyed the game. But I have zero interest in returning to it or trying to get the rest of the preppers finished.

Oct 27, 2017
So, something seems a bit iffy to me, can someone explain to me ?

So if I got everything straight :

• So Bridget Strand gets uterine cancer at age 20.
  • She gets surgery.
  • During the operation something happens and her Ka (soul) gets stranded on the Beach while her Ha (physical body) stays on Earth.
  • She somehows learns she's the EE and what that entails, and somehow her Ha retains this information/her Ka communicates with her.
  • She decides to pour herself and every available resource in researching the Beach, Chiral Network, BBs, etc.
  • Then the thing with Cliff happens.
  • She ressucitates Sam.
  • Then the balance between life and death is disrupted => The Death Stranding happens.

Right ?

But how did the first BT (the one in the Manhattan surgery) happened ? I mean it happened BEFORE Lisa Bridges went braindead (c.f. the cutscene where John explains to Cliff the measures to ensure his BB and wife doesn't go voidout after the Manhattan affair).
Soooo....did the Death Stranding happen before the Cliff affair, or is there something I didn't get, or is this a plot hole ?

Also I was suspending my disbelief at Amelie being portrayed by a young Lindsay Wagner and Bridget by her current age, thinking "Oh that's cute using the same actress at different ages and using the media to do things like this" and "I sure hope we don't get a plot twist like AMELIE WAS BRIDGET ALL ALONG" because then I'd have to ask : really, NOBODY made a remark about how uncanny the likeness was ? (they did made remarks about how nobody ever met Amelie but still).

Also, most of the names still have the subtelty of an anvil, but hey that's Kojima for you (still loved the game)

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

• She gets surgery.
  • During the operation something happens and her Ka (soul) gets stranded on the Beach while her Ha (physical body) stays on Earth.
  • She somehows learns she's the EE and what that entails, and somehow her Ha retains this information/her Ka communicates with her.
  • She decides to pour herself and every available resource in researching the Beach, Chiral Network, BBs, etc.
  • She ressucitates Sam.
  • Then the balance between life and death is disrupted => The Death Stranding happens.

Right ?

But how did the first BT (the one in the Manhattan surgery) happened ? I mean it happened BEFORE Lisa Bridges went braindead (c.f. the cutscene where John explains to Cliff the measures to ensure his BB and wife doesn't go voidout after the Manhattan affair).
Soooo....did the Death Stranding happen before the Cliff affair, or is there something I didn't get, or is this a plot hole ?

Also I was suspending my disbelief at Amelie being portrayed by a young Lindsay Wagner and Bridget by her current age, thinking "Oh that's cute using the same actress at different ages and using the media to do things like this" and "I sure hope we don't get a plot twist like AMELIE WAS BRIDGET ALL ALONG" because then I'd have to ask : really, NOBODY made a remark about how uncanny the likeness was ? (they did made remarks about how nobody ever met Amelie but still).

Also, most of the names still have the subtelty of an anvil, but hey that's Kojima for you (still loved the game)
I mean let's not forget Solidus was the literal president of the United States and was the spitting image of famous legendary soldier Big Boss.... and the fact that he was a clone was somehow a secret to everyone.

At least everyone thought Amelie was Bridget's daughter lol.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I agree that the majority of the story is quite poorly written, but I actually found the Mads and BB (Lou) parts at the end quite moving. I had to wipe away some tears at several points at least.
Though I do feel Kojima is cheating a bit making a baby a character in the game. I think we automatically care a lot about babies and what happens to them. Every time BB started crying in the game I felt my heart sting a bit.

bb serves the same purpose in death stranding that haruka serves in the yakuza games: they're there to bring a warmth & a humanity to an otherwise overly harsh, hardcore reality...

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States

• She gets surgery.
  • She ressucitates Sam.

Right ?

I'm with you on the "Amelie was Bridget the whole time" thing. Same as when Troy Baker delivered me a nuke, only to later have the fact that it was Higgs be a surprise to the characters (I also still loved the game).

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I really found Higgs completely useless. He came out too anime-emo for me and itsn't cryptic talking villain too cliche.
Remove his part and literally nothing is changed.

Would be better if we knew Higgs as a normal but ambitious person and then comes to a shock seeing how he has supernatural abilities which he hadn't before during Ch2/3. Then the later boss battle would make a little sense when he reveals the Amelie part. Like a jedi turning to dark side.

Nov 4, 2017
Finished the story last night, 47 hours, loved it.

But... The "twists" were so obvious, to the point where during the "big reveals" I found myself thinking "wasn't this revealed 2 episodes ago?". E.g. Amelie not being above board, Sam being BB, John being Die-Hardman. I'm glad they tied it all together and explained everything, and I liked the happy ending. Now to chase the platinum...

Beastie91

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bay Area CA
Finally finished the game one thing for sure this story has no business taking itself this serious and thats what make this game amazing honestly I dont even think we will ever play anything like this game again unless we get a sequel or prequel or something. With all its flaws this is easily 10 out of 10 for its uniqueness alone feel like im a Mule how addicted I am to delivering these packages didnt think I would enjoy the gameplay loop as much as I did im down for another.

ps: Somebody give that man Tommie Earl Jenkins an award Goddamn!!

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
I will not read the other parts of the thread, but maybe some of you can help me with the bossfight in chapter 11. Nothing does damage to Cliff on hard! How do I beat him? How did you do it? Please only answer when you played on hard too.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I will not read the other parts of the thread, but maybe some of you can help me with the bossfight in chapter 11. Nothing does damage to Cliff on hard! How do I beat him? How did you do it? Please only answer when you played on hard too.

I played on hard and used blood rounds from the Assault Rifle and the Anti-BT Handgun to beat him.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The third time she sat me down I just ejected the disk and returned it, then looked up the rest of what happened because I wasn't going to sit there being dicked around like that any longer. One of the lowest points of playing video games for me.