• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can someone sum up the ending? I can't watch it right now and I'm morbidly curious as someone that isn't interested in playing the game long enough to get there.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That BB shit is fucking next level out for me. Wow, just killing babies after a year....WTF? and this is seen as ok?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That BB shit is fucking next level out for me. Wow, just killing babies after a year....WTF? and this is seen as ok?
nope! the way the game is presented and framed it's made very very clear that it's not OK and not acceptable, despite the fact that it's normalized in this world.
it's um... imagine kingdom hearts but more funny. and the choice you have is so basic and laughable.
what choice? there isn't a choice in the ending?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
aren't you given the choice to shoot or not shoot someone?

that's not the ending and it's not a choice lol. the game forces you to restart if you don't make the one that progresses the story to the actual ending.

but i do understand that you've decided This Is A Bad Game without playing it, and I don't think i'm going to say anything that will convince you otherwise, so fair play

Oct 26, 2017
that's not the ending and it's not a choice lol. the game forces you to restart if you don't make the one that progresses the story to the actual ending.

but i do understand that you've decided This Is A Bad Game without playing it, and I don't think i'm going to say anything that will convince you otherwise, so fair play

Is the game about abortion though if you've played through it.

What is the meaning and theme to the BBs.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
nope! the way the game is presented and framed it's made very very clear that it's not OK and not acceptable, despite the fact that it's normalized in this world.

what choice? there isn't a choice in the ending?

I mean Kojima struggles to handle regular topics normally, there is no way he could have handled this.

On the BBs.
They are killed after a year. You say this is normalized and somehow that's ok? Rather than give the BBs a shot at surviving after the fact they just kill them in a year. Sam is the first one that was given a shot because his dad took him out. All the sudden they realize that maybe they should have been doing that from the beginning rather than just killing off babies????

This is essentially the Matrix harvesting humans but instead its humans harvesting babies and murdering them after a year rather than give them a shot? I mean seriously you think anyone could try and make that story palatable and that person is Kojima?

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are bugging out so much about the BB thing. It's fucked but this is post-apoc hardline psychological sci-fi. Fucked things happen especially out of a sense of necessity for society's survival. And at any rate I can't imagine Kojima plays this straight like "Hey look at this new speculative future tech!"

I just don't get it. Everyone wanted Kojima unleashed pushing the envelope and here is some fucked up sci-fi shit and people say it's gone too far. This is what everyone asked for lol

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is the game about abortion though if you've played through it.

What is the meaning and theme to the BBs.
my reading of it was that they are a representation of the way states normalize violence. i will absolutely post more tomorrow, but i'm technically still not allowed to talk in detail about the ending. i don't think it's about abortion, no
I mean Kojima struggles to handle regular topics normally, there is no way he could have handled this.

On the BBs.
They are killed after a year. You say this is normalized and somehow that's ok? Rather than give the BBs a shot at surviving after the fact they just kill them in a year. Sam is the first one that was given a shot because his dad took him out. All the sudden they realize that maybe they should have been doing that from the beginning rather than just killing off babies????

This is essentially the Matrix harvesting humans but instead its humans harvesting babies and murdering them after a year rather than give them a shot? I mean seriously you think anyone could try and make that story palatable and that person is Kojima?
I beat the game and yeah I absolutely think it works in context
like I said, it's very clearly framed in a way where you understand that what is being done to the BBs is an awful thing, especially in the final act.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
oh sorry, i thought that was it, i just saw the video posted on discord. it's late now, i'll try and watch the cutscenes tomorrow to make more sense of it.

I'm watching this hour and a half ending here and man....Can we discuss open spoilers in here?
link?

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
welp, just looked at the embargo details and I can't actually talk about the ending in detail until Monday, which fucking sucks

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol, what.

Don't understand an embargo post release.
doesn't make much sense to me either! and the review agreement literally says even though the game is already out you need to be considerate of the community and this other nonsense.

I just posted the link to the ending.
doesn't mean I can talk about its specifics, unfortunately!

vague ending talk without revealing details but revealing some themes that in and of themselves will probably suggest something about the twist. i wouldn't read this if you don't want to be, in a sense, "spoiled":

Here's the thing: Death Stranding pretends to be a game about reconnecting the world, but it's actually a surprisingly nuanced meditation on the ways people are tied to each other. the way human connections are made, and especially how they're broken. it is absolutely not "we all need to come together, we need to reconnect." I was fully expecting it to be that and prepared to hate it but I didn't. it's about the way states and especially the US government has lied, manipulated, and misled people through false "hero" narratives. it's actually as anti-American as anything he's made, and maybe even moreso than MGS2. It's a game about how the hero myths of the US are false narratives used to perpetuate violence against vulnerable people. it's about the way our attachment to other people can be toxic, how it allows violence to be perpetuated and replicated across generations. and it's, in the end, about how it is sometimes necessary to sever those ties.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
The more I read about this...

... kojima really isnt as clever as he thinks himself to be.

But ill still probably end up checking this game out.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Okay... Holy... Wow. I don't know what to say...

I just watched through the full "movie". People that are playing this are in for a ride. I understand why Giant Bomb's Jeff said he wanted to just turn it off at times. Not talking about the gameplay here. Kojima is crazy, for real, enough that it's sickening at times, this will go under the skin for many parents, this is so much more than just pixels, holy crap.

But at the same time he manage to have me nailed to the screen, it's 100% clear that nobody else can do game movies like Kojima, this is on a whole different level from any other game that tries to be a movie, not even Naughty Dog or Rockstar can touch Kojima.

Personally I'm fine with not playing the actual game to see this movie though, and one time is plenty enough, thanks youtube. It'll be interesting to see how people react to this game/movie. Whatever people may think about the game the story is not something you just say "meh" to and move along, I'd say that this will stay on your mind longer than pretty much any other game story.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't take issue or offense by what the story of the BBs actually is. My issue is that it just sucks. Plain and simple, all of this is wack.

The story to this game resembles something a 14-year-old who thought he had insightful thoughts would come up with.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm into all sorts......but my gosh......Personally, I'm glad if anyone enjoys the game but 100% happy I have not purchased this game. I'll pick it up for a cheap price on pc as a tech demo, but the cutscenes are fucking terrible imo. It's mumbo jumbo, I think i'm intelligent bullshit, with ridiculous concepts. I'm into weird shit as well, but this is just bad, really, really bad IMO.

Each to their own but man, I feel like 14 year old me who was obsessed in anime may have thought this was some special type of concept but unfortunately I'm older and it's not for me. Great performance by Mads though!

Love little Lou, go lou! There are so many good games out there that I would rather play than watch these terrible cutscenes.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ah nice. I'm sure it won't feel like as much though due to way more gameplay in the open world instead of the linear romp MGS4 was
yeah they're much more spread out and the average length of each scene is shorter.

i do think this game is uniquely ill-fitted to the "watching cutscenes on YouTube" format but in general it's a terrible way to consume the story of games

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ah nice. I'm sure it won't feel like as much though due to way more gameplay in the open world instead of the linear romp MGS4 was

DS seems to have slightky more in cutscene length, on youtube all MGS4 cutscenes = 7 hours 21 minutes whereas DS = 8 hours 10 minutes. As you said though this is a much longer game than MGS4 though so it will probably feel more natural and not bloated with cutscenes.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's disturbing, gross, completely insane and makes you feel nauseous. But I definitely wouldn't say that it sucks. It just leaves me with a thought that I wonder what in the world Kojima has been through to start thinking about a story like this. It really is insanity 101.
Glad I saw the video but also glad I never played the game. If the gameplay made it divisive it'll be even worse for the story. I can easily see fans go from both screaming about GOTY to just turn it off and never return to it.

Deleted member 11069

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm watching the ending and some of it feels like I'm watching Google Translate trying to make sense of bad writing.
I'm having fun!

TolerLive

Senior Lighting Artist
Verified
Nov 15, 2017
Redmond, WA
I watched the "movie" on youtube. The writing is so blunt and cliched the entire way through, like i expected. The syory and the characters are fairly one-note, and that would be okay if the gameplay made up for it but. Ehhh. Glad im not getting it. Good luck to those who wish to slog through it.

Edit: additional comment, you can tell with the dialogue that there is some loss of intent with translation. Nobody speaks like this characters do in real life.

JulianV

Apr 10, 2018
Any reference on the last scenes to Metal Gear? not directly but something?

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Hah watching some of the ending stuff and oh boy this is some next level awful bullshit.
Not even troy Baker hamming it up can save this crap.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
So BB's are essentially babies taken from the wombs of mothers who are braindead (Stillmothers). The Stillmothers are kept physically alive but brain dead in the capital city. The mother's must be kept alive for the BB's to have a connection and see the BTs.

For "reasons", these BB's are put in the container which convinces the BB's they are in the mother's womb. BB's can sense the BT's. You connect to the BB so that you can sense the BT's as well. The BB's get stressed and think that they aren't in the womb and thus you have to calm them. If they get too stressed you have to go to the private room and connect them to an incubator. The incubator resets the mixture in the container and convinces the BBs that they are back in the mother. They use Oxytocin to pacify the BBs.

The BB's are just "equipment", you are told not to get attached and they are gotten rid of after a year because that is the only length of time that they can sense the BTs. They cannot survive outside of the container. You are trying to recover the past to see if you can change that.

Uh....wow

Sagadego17

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so death stranding is a mess huh? i'll pass on this and wait till it hits the bargain bin then what a shame