• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 38050

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Mostly my experience (except Higgs which I didn't like). Congrats on finishing and having a good time, you'll feel depressed from now on.
I should clarify, I mean specifically the MGS4-esque fistfight with Higgs, I loved that. The previous fight with him on the beach and the one before with the giant BT monster were pretty average.

Also, the "final boss" against the big BT whale was so lame. Kojima bosses used to be so fun and creative, but I feel like since Peace Walker they've mostly all turned into "shoot at this giant bullet sponge and occasionally avoid attacks" which is such a bummer.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I should clarify, I mean specifically the MGS4-esque fistfight with Higgs, I loved that. The previous fight with him on the beach and the one before with the giant BT monster were pretty average.

Also, the "final boss" against the big BT whale was so lame. Kojima bosses used to be so fun and creative, but I feel like since Peace Walker they've mostly all turned into "shoot at this giant bullet sponge and occasionally avoid attacks" which is such a bummer.

Yeah, I think the problem here is that the game mechanics just don't work well with combat so enemies are visibly nerfed when you fight them (like the stay away from you, don't attack, or attack the air).

It's weird that Higgs is pretty much the final boss but then there's this other whale boss that adds absolutely nothing lol.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

The beach fight with Higgs was pretty fun I thought. I liked picking up playstations and throwing them at him. That in itself was pretty funny.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Instead of a nondescript final boss you should have had to do some crazy traversal challenge on a Beach. Putting you through a gauntlet version of the Eastern Region was their attempt at making you use all your skills, but it came out a bit bland.

Deleted member 38050

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Right before the whale boss is a section where you're being pursued by like 4 of those wolf BT things, and it's just easier to run rather than fight them. I feel like just leaving that there would have been a more enjoyable "final encounter" with BTs rather than throwing you into a really long dragged out boring fight that's hard to lose. Having you do a desperate run into the city with all those wolves on your heels would have felt cooler
Hey yall is there a guide or tip on the best side quest/side equipment stuff you can get?
I would also like to know this.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
happy to finally be in this thread my MY GOD the pages pre-release are so painful to read.

So the part with Sam being cliffs son confused the hell outta me, and I couldn't wrap my head around it because the ending crammed about 60 hours of mystery in an hour and a half.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I posted in the OT thread and can't help but feel disappointed with the narrative. It started off really interesting but just became a regurgitation of the same exposition points over and over again. The delivery gameplay was really fun. It's such a shame it gets bogged down by the mess that is the story. It all started going downhill after the Mama/lockne arc.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
So I just got past episode 9

That beach scene was corny but not as horribly offensive as y'all made it sound. ERA was overreacting as usual.

higgs fight was hype
FINALLY AN OLD KOJIMA STYLE BOSS!

Higgs. It was easy once you figured it out, but it was cool and hilarious fighting him with the rope and packages. Then of course the fist brawl was great, though nothing can touch Liquid Ocelot of course. Fighting UI was funny and so Kojima, don't know why that got hate
I've missed this kinda stuff in his games for so long, it doesn't touch MGS' best but it's still cut from the same cloth.

Y'all didn't hype this one up enough to me
Cross posting from other thread.

Anyway the story beats obviously hit way harder experiencing them in game than skimming them in this thread. I was worried they'd fall flat but it's ramping up and I'm really excited

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mads and Tommie Earl Jenkins gave really fantastic performances. Jenkins deserves to be a bigger name he's clearly got some chops.
Yeps. TEJ fucking smashed it.
I appreciated that Kojima made Del Toro's character Frankenstein's monster (Del Toro LOVES Frankenstein). And that all the scenes in Heartman's lab are lit like a Refn movie.
Indeed.

I really liked that too.
So the part with Sam being cliffs son confused the hell outta me, and I couldn't wrap my head around it because the ending crammed about 60 hours of mystery in an hour and a half.
What's didn't you get. Maybe i can help.
so the bb you were carrying the whole game is just some random bb?
Yes.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So I just got past episode 9

That beach scene was corny but not as horribly offensive as y'all made it sound. ERA was overreacting as usual.

higgs fight was hype

Cross posting from other thread.

Anyway the story beats obviously hit way harder experiencing them in game than skimming them in this thread. I was worried they'd fall flat but it's ramping up and I'm really excited
Dude you shouldn't be here if you haven't finished the game, the best is yet to come.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guys I just finished the game, this is some serious game of the generation material for me. After being disappointed by MGSV, this was a fantastic experience. I was worried that the story would go off the rails, but I was super happy that the ending was satisfying.

Also, the fight with Higgs turning into the end of MGS4 was hype.

Jan 10, 2018
I was thinking about Bridget at the end and how she changed appearance and attitude a couple of times. When she was helping Sam she was using the red dress and when she talked about the end of it all she was dressed in black. Also, when she was meeting with John and Cliff she was her older self and didn't seem sympathetic at all.

Was this to show that she had inner conflicts about her purpose? She said to Sam that, and I quote: "you were supposed to stop me", which implies that a part of her wanted to give the world of the living more time. And this might also be why she helped Sam escape when he was spying on her older self?

Oct 26, 2017
Finished watching a playthrough (as I lack a PS4).

I was thoroughly unimpressed. It started out mysterious and interesting, and then the exposition started. And continued. And continued.

And after that, none of it made any sense. That would have been fine if they'd kept it mysterious, but because they felt the need to explain every little thing the final result was just utter nonsense.

I did like that the final chapters of the game resembled this classic, however:

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
So here's something I can't figure out. If Amelie is Bridgett's soul stuck on the beach, how does Higgs kidnap her and trap her in that gaint BT in the real world?

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So here's something I can't figure out. If Amelie is Bridgett's soul stuck on the beach, how does Higgs kidnap her and trap her in that gaint BT in the real world?

I don't believe that she was in any real danger and played along to motivate Sam to finish the network. To save her he has to finish making america whole again and that's exactly what she wanted out of him.

Higgs was just a pawn to give Bridges and Sam an enemy to fight against as nobody was allowed to know she's behind it all.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Oh, right, she DOES appear in the real world at that point. Did she ever touch Sam during that scene? Maybe she was just a (magic) hologram

...How is she even able to communicate with Sam and the rest of the characters using holograms if she is just a soul, anyway? All their interactions until that point become pretty funny when you realize that they were talking with some kind of ghost the entire time

I guess "using the beach's powers" is somehow the answer, but it's approaching dangerously to nanomachines levels of plot device

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they mention that nobody really saw her in real life?
Isn't that die-hardman last message in case he doesn't come back? telling that the team with amellie was wipped out, so nobody really interact with her in person.

eko

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Don't they mention that nobody really saw her in real life?
Isn't that die-hardman last message in case he doesn't come back? telling that the team with amellie was wipped out, so nobody really interact with her in person.

They were never together on the same room, but there were plenty of times when they met using holograms. The tricky thing is how is she even able to use the telehologram machine from her beach.

I mean, I guess she could hack the chiral network and spoof the signal, but I think is never explained how she did it

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Oh, right, she DOES appear in the real world at that point. Did she ever touch Sam during that scene? Maybe she was just a (magic) hologram

...How is she even able to communicate with Sam and the rest of the characters using holograms if she is just a soul, anyway? All their interactions until that point become pretty funny when you realize that they were talking with some kind of ghost the entire time

I guess "using the beach's powers" is somehow the answer, but it's approaching dangerously to nanomachines levels of plot device

They established she's pretty much a god. She stitches baby Sam up with beach magic. My problem is that they establish that she's stuck on the beach and the only reason we see her in real life is holograms, so it feels like they're breaking their own rules. Of course we only see her after Sam brings the facility online so maybe they're just hologramming around that facility. Either way, kinda dumb.

Jan 10, 2018
They established she's pretty much a god. She stitches baby Sam up with beach magic. My problem is that they establish that she's stuck on the beach and the only reason we see her in real life is holograms, so it feels like they're breaking their own rules. Of course we only see her after Sam brings the facility online so maybe they're just hologramming around that facility. Either way, kinda dumb.

Chirilium strengthens the connection between the afterlife and reality and when they hook up to the chiral network she gets full access. At least that's how I understood it.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I`ve finished the game some days ago and now I´m watching the cutscenes again, to get a better understanding of the story. There`s one thing early in the game that I find weird: Why is Deadman acting like the president is still alive, after Sam brought her body to the incinerator?

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I`ve finished the game some days ago and now I´m watching the cutscenes again, to get a better understanding of the story. There`s one thing early in the game that I find weird: Why is Deadman acting like the president is still alive, after Sam brought her body to the incinerator?

Because the president is now "Samantha America Strand," not Bridget.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Because the president is now "Samantha America Strand," not Bridget.
But Deadman acts as if he would think that Sam already knew that.
Deadman tells Sam he might want to take a shower before he`ll meat the president (not the "new president" or something like that), Sam is confused ("What the hell are you talking about? She`s dead.") and Deadman says: "You`re upset. Is it about BB?". Doesn`t make sense imo or am I missing something? Did Deadman think, Sam knew about their plan to replace the president?

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just finished the game last night. Overall, I thought the game was good. Not extraordinary or my personal game of the year, but i'm glad i did play it and had a great time with it. I think if the game was trimmed down a bit in some segments, it would've been much better. The General gameplay loop was fun especially since the game is such a visual delight to behold. I found myself being distracted by how stellar the environments are. But the BT's really started getting real old 30ish hours in. Every time you get the cutscene alerting you of them being in the area I rolled my eyes so damn hard. MULEs were fun to fight and kinda reminded you of classic metal gear gameplay. I wished there was more creativity with easter eggs and bosses like the metal gear series but maybe that's asking for too much.The story kept me going and had a satisfying ending. I suspected that he was somehow the baby or tied to some extent. Loved the higgs beach fight. It was probably the strongest point of the game. Much respect to Tommie Earl Jenkins and Mads Mikkelsen. They had stellar performances in this. Loved the message this game was trying to send overall. I highly respect Kojima for trying to do something different with this.

Also you never "complete" Episode 15 right? It's just an excuse to complete remaining orders since it jumps back 2 weeks and those events already happened?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The amount of misunderstandings in this game that could be solved with a letter or something

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
But Deadman acts as if he would think that Sam already knew that.
Deadman tells Sam he might want to take a shower before he`ll meat the president (not the "new president" or something like that), Sam is confused ("What the hell are you talking about? She`s dead.") and Deadman says: "You`re upset. Is it about BB?". Doesn`t make sense imo or am I missing something? Did Deadman think, Sam knew about their plan to replace the president?

The acting on Deadman is to shock players and Sam, Sam didn't know but it was about Amelie all the time, that's why Deadman says that, he does it naturally to fuck our minds and Sam's lol.

If you're watching scenes, watch Amelie say "my body is on the beach" and try to figure it out why Sam agrees to the task knowing that information. So far is a question without answer imo.

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I just finished the game... god... fuck. Seriously. Fuck. I'm done for a few days. With life. I'm just going to sit with the lights off in my living room.

Deleted member 49179

Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Chirilium strengthens the connection between the afterlife and reality and when they hook up to the chiral network she gets full access. At least that's how I understood it.

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. That huge boss fight with her and Higgs happened after the whole network has been connected from coast to coast. Propagating the network everywhere increased the chiralium level so much that Amelie could begin to influence the real world, and not just the chiral network like before.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the game... god... fuck. Seriously. Fuck. I'm done for a few days. With life. I'm just going to sit with the lights off in my living room.
I realized with horror that I had stumbled into the spoiler thread (I've posted here previously, but prior to launch), but thankfully your post was all I saw, and it's intriguing, suffice it to say, lol.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mads is running through halls with BB how is this game not over yet

Twenty minutes later, the credits are finally rolling. God. Amazing game but I really would have loved an actual stop point or something because dear god.

Last edited:

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished.

wow.

kojima did it again.
I was thinking about Bridget at the end and how she changed appearance and attitude a couple of times. When she was helping Sam she was using the red dress and when she talked about the end of it all she was dressed in black. Also, when she was meeting with John and Cliff she was her older self and didn't seem sympathetic at all.

Was this to show that she had inner conflicts about her purpose? She said to Sam that, and I quote: "you were supposed to stop me", which implies that a part of her wanted to give the world of the living more time. And this might also be why she helped Sam escape when he was spying on her older self?
Yes, her natural instinct is to cause the extinction, but she's also human and that gave her emotions that made her want to connect everyone. That's how I took it.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I thought i finished the thing but got greeted by a "Chapter 15" and i have to wait for an event...
Is that real or is it just a placeholder for DLC and there's nothing to wait ?

I loved the game story and was not bored by the missions except perhaps 2 of them (it helped having built the roads).. but if there's nothing to wait i shall not distribute old game systems and pizzas anymore xD

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
London
I thought i finished the thing but got greeted by a "Chapter 15" and i have to wait for an event...
Is that real or is it just a placeholder for DLC and there's nothing to wait ?

I loved the game story and was not bored by the missions except perhaps 2 of them (it helped having built the roads).. but if there's nothing to wait i shall not distribute old game systems and pizzas anymore xD

That's simply the end-game. You can now do all the sidequests you didn't finish and aim for 100%.
The event they talk about is what you see in the ending. Chapter 15 is after you come back from the Beach and before you see the ending starting with the Die-Hardman's speech going all the way to the credits. That's why Lou is still there in the pod.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
That's simply the end-game. You can now do all the sidequests you didn't finish and aim for 100%.
The event they talk about is what you see in the ending. Chapter 15 is after you come back from the Beach and before you see the ending starting with the Die-Hardman's speech going all the way to the credits. That's why Lou is still there in the pod.

Oookay... i didn't start playing chapter 15 (getting there was long enough ;) ) i stopped right after the title card.
I thought chapter 15 would have Sam without a BB like during the mountain segment (god i missed her lil giggles and bubbles... and BT detection ).

Thanks for the heads up, i'll definitely replay in a year, it was a fine piece.
I have grabbed 1072 screenshots in the game... damn...

edit:
... these decima cutscenes are as nice on screenshots as they are when you live them live

Last edited: