• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like something like The Titan Games cross pro-wrestling is the answer. I really enjoyed all of the pro-wrestling earmarks in The Titan Games. Everyone got chances to cut promos and most of them were good, compelling video packages and a general story structure that felt a lot like King of the Ring. I felt like if people had been in a ring instead of shimmying about on some giant ass playground gym it would have been untouchable. One touch I really liked was that no one seemed like a dickhead. Lots of the promos were "I'm going to do my best!" or "I'm going to try hard to make my family proud!"

Executive Producer The Rock seemed to recognize that 2019 is generally awful enough a lot of us don't have the energy for more heels in our life.

Side note: One of the contestants totally seemed to be the total package for wrestling and, sure enough, WWE gave her a tryout shortly after the show. They didn't pick her up.

Something like that could be interesting. One of the issues AEW has (and wrestling as a tv show in general) is that you either book for the live audience or to create a compelling tv-show. AEW seems to be doing the first, with all the rematches to try to draw a bigger live crowd. LU went for the second, and it went fine at the beginning, but eventually the promotion had other issues (like their booking starting the second half of S2 and many more) that limited their grow. And at its core, AEW does not changes the fundamentals of US tv wrestling. It feels like what many people imagine it would be WWE (or WCW) with "good booking" (minus for the womens division). And it is not surprising with the inspiration the show has and the people at the top. Nostalgia for old wrestling is not that big and the people that stopped watching wrestling in the past decades are not going to return.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017

EK5HNASW4AEJMzs

giphy.gif

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe Triple H has a point every time he says that the WWE competes not just against other wrestling, but sports, video games, other tv shows. There are just more easily accessible forms of entertainment now besides TV, which is probably why all TV including wrestling is declining. I don't think there is ever going to be another boom period for wrestling. The WWE will just slowly die and we will revert to just smaller products for hardcore fans.
I read NBA ratings were dow . I don't know if that's from cord cutting. But WWE is now OTA and not exactly doing super awesome.

I have one hour free at home a day and I play videogames. Wrestling I sorta watch in the background. It's not like back in the day when it would get my FULL attention.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
the pure strength of the WrestleCon brand will drive sales
I mean that's not entirely untrue, like they have a rep, but in this year of all years not announcing stuff is not going to work well given people know everyone is gone. I get not announcing stuff you then have to cancel due to *gestures at Wednesday nights* all this, but, as Brian succinctly summed up in a gif, yikes

DarkstarIV

Feb 21, 2018
Is it too early or late to put Rhea on the "Always Bad" list? I guess last week on WWE Backstage, Paige revealed that Rhea looks up to Ronnie Radke as an inspiration.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
remember when Cedric Alexander said he wasn't getting buried because of losing all his matches to AJ Styles.

Apparently he's moved on to losing matches to Mojo before Raw even airs

Seriously though what the fuck. Like I saw Buddy Murphy lose a match to Apollo Crews live before a SmackDown taping so nothing matters.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
just watched effy vs gage,

the only thing about that venue, Is they can't use light tubes. And also, we will have steve corino's kid and Joe Gacy matches.
Yeah I don't love their Philly cards most of the time. Halloween Fuckfest had some good stuff though, would've been better if Deppen could've made it

Status
Not open for further replies.