• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
1. Do we want to collapse the Male and Female WWE Superstar of the Year into WWE Superstar of the Year?
2. Should we cut out Best Gimmick, "What a Maneuver," or Best Theme Music? I like that we acknowledge these other pieces of the wrestling world, but I don't know if anyone's passionate about keeping them.
3. Are "Carny Motherfucker" and "WWE Promotes Murderous Dictatorships" redundant categories?

- No
- No
- No

I don't think you should worry about too many categories. It's a fun dumb thing and more categories makes it more fun and more dumb.

And I think we definitely need a delineation between "best fun carny" and "most scummy carny"

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about graves and Cornette is that no one liked them in the first place. Seth actively turned his fans against him

The Kid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we add a best social media account to the Carnies? I need to push Austin Theory somewhere.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't have that many people that'll go to bat for WWE to get their own special treatment anymore, so I would collapse all of those. My categories would be:

Male Wrestler of the Year
Female Wrestler of the Year
Best Tag Team of the Year
Worker of the Year
Worst Wrestler of the Year
Most Underrated Wrestler
Most Overrated Wrestler
Most Improved
Best Gimmick
Worst Gimmick
Rookie of the Year
Match of the Year
Feud of the Year
Coolest Move/Dive
Worst Fucking Match
Worst Feud
Promotion of the Year
Worst Promotion
Show of the Year
Best Weekly Show
Best Angle
The "WWE Promotes Murderous Dictatorships" Award for Angle That Made You Ashamed To Be A Wrestling Fan
Gif of the Year
WrassleERA Community MVP Award
The "I'm Marking Out, Bro" Legit Shook Moment of the Year
Carny of the Year
Fun 'n' Playful Carnyism of the Year

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Since its the end of the decade should we also do a few other categories like "Wrestler of the Decade" and more importantly "Carny of the Decade."
We don't have that many people that'll go to bat for WWE to get their own special treatment anymore, so I would collapse all of those.
Also I agree with this.

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Since its the end of the decade should we also do a few other categories like "Wrestler of the Decade" and more importantly "Carny of the Decade."

Also I agree with this.

I was thinking about doing a wrestler of the decade award, but for another occasion. Like set some rules on who can participate. Like being active at least 7 if the 10 years of a decade and so on

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Hunter trying to buy Stardom with a Hall of Fame ring has to be high on the carny of the year list.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
IeGtNzG.png

6rS75dz.jpg

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
Just watched the Chris Brookes Ichigaya match, great stuff. Want a full Brookes/Suruga singles match soon pls. Also, unless I'm misreading her, Yuna seems like the wee hoss type I'm fond of

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was thinking about doing a wrestler of the decade award, but for another occasion. Like set some rules on who can participate. Like being active at least 7 if the 10 years of a decade and so on
Seperate from the year awards is fine.

Not sure I agree with the condition of being active 7/10 years though. Wrestlers who were active most of the decade will naturally have an advantage anyway as they had more oppurtunuiity to do something noteworthy. If someone who only wrestled a few years has been note worthy enough to qualify they'd deserve it. Also lets not kid ourselves it will probably be Okada or someone like him anyway so that rule wouldn't matter.

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix

Teddy Hart is a fucking Freemason? How the fuck did that guy get voted into a lodge? Whoever was assigned to be his catechism coach must have had one of the most thankless jobs in all of human history. Holy shit. I can't even picture trying to get Teddy Hart to sober enough and interested enough to memorize the Master Mason's catechism.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
wdms.gif

cm-punk.gif

It's December, which means it's time for the annual Carny Awards, our community's recognition of all of the carny bullshit that the conflict play industry provides over the course of the calendar year.

The goal is to have the Carnies decided by January 2020 and posted in the January OT. To do that, we'll need to spend this week on determining categories, next two weeks on nominations, and the last two weeks on voting. Voting will be done via Google Form, as we've done in the past.

Advocacy is strongly encouraged! Since we have a pretty good set of representatives for joshi, lucha, EuroGraps, and ULTRAVIOLENCE, I think our Carny Award lists could look fairly different from, say, the Post Wrestling end of year awards.

It all depends on the nomination process. Want to advocate that Nick Gage is the male wrestler of the year or that Tokyo Joshi Pro is the promotion of the year? Nominate and post your reasons why!

Speaking of Tokyo Joshi Pro, last year, I broke Tokyo Joshi Pro out from DDT but kept NXT in with main roster WWE. Given how much more NXT has been integrated into WWE programming this year, I think that the same distinction should apply. If you feel strongly, post in this thread and tag me. Work is busy this year, but I'll try to read everything that I can.

So, by Sunday, December 8, we need to have final categories for the 2019 Carny Awards. Here were last year's categories. I always feel like there are too many categories, but I don't know where to cut. Some questions to consider:

1. Do we want to collapse the Male and Female WWE Superstar of the Year into WWE Superstar of the Year?
2. Should we cut out Best Gimmick, "What a Maneuver," or Best Theme Music? I like that we acknowledge these other pieces of the wrestling world, but I don't know if anyone's passionate about keeping them.
3. Are "Carny Motherfucker" and "WWE Promotes Murderous Dictatorships" redundant categories?

If there are no changes, then these are the categories that we'll roll with for the 2019 Carny Awards.

Male WWE Superstar of the Year
Female WWE Superstar of the Year
Best Male Non-WWE Wrestler of the Year
Best Female Non-WWE Wrestler of the Year
Best Tag Team of the Year
"The Drizzling Shits" Award for Worst On-Screen Performer
"The Rusev" Award for Most Underutilized Performer
"The Hot Take" Most Overrated Wrestler of the Year
Comeback of the Year
"The King Kong Bundy WrestleMania 2 to 3" Fall from Grace Award
Most Improved Wrestler
"The Big Show" Award for Please Retire
Best Gimmick
"The Bray Wyatt Is Sister Abigail" Award for Worst Gimmick
"What a Maneuver!" Award for Coolest Move/Dive
Best Theme Music of the Year
WWE Match of the Year
Non-WWE Match of the Year
"The Jenna Morasco vs. Sharmell" Award for Worst Fucking Match
Promotion of the Year
Show of the Year
Best Angle
The "WWE Promotes Murderous Dictatorships" Award for Angle That Made You Ashamed To Be A Wrestling Fan
Gif of the Year
WrassleERA Community MVP Award
The "I'm Marking Out, Bro" Legit Shook Moment of the Year
"Carny Motherfucker" of the Year
Fun 'n' Playful Carnyism of the Year

No to all your questions.

We need the Geek of the Year category.

Oct 8, 2019
If the list that Violet posted is anything to go by, Cody.

I will just say the son of a billionaire getting one of the best tag team in the worlds, and a guy who last year was considered one of if not the greatest wrestler in the world, then having Cody Rhodes as the number 1 babyface makes Cody Rhodes a strong contender for Carny of the Year

As Cody Rhodes himself says "Daddy Eats First"

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best dive is Tanahashi betraying his beliefs and jumping to the outside but missing and going through the table.

Oct 8, 2019
Kenny Omega took a step back and has just come off as another wrestler, the Young Bucks likewise have tried to give the other tag teams more shine. In comparison Cody has consistently put himself and people his friends with in the spotlight. Maybe Cody will eventually payback Kenny for all of the things Kenny has done to help Cody, but I wouldn't trust the son of a wrestler.

Oct 8, 2019
Bray Wyatt.

True shit wrestlers come and go and lose their place. Bray has been consistently getting work and top billing despite being shite and never having a noteworthy match for the right reasons.

Bray Wyatt is basically the second coming of the Ultimate Warrior in the "then the Bell rung" department, although Vince shoulders some of the blame for his horrendous ideas like that blinding red light that makes it impossible to see what's happening, and makes the audience want to change the channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.