• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit I remember that guy. Good to see him getting involved with stuff like this. He's been preaching flick stick for years now.

Red

Oct 26, 2017

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
The hell?! This might solve the pretty bad aiming issue altogether. Just sucks I need to download the whole game again. Only deleted it last week.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Finally it's time to check out what all this flick stick shit is all about.

What was the first game to have it on playstation BTW?
Fortnite
www.resetera.com

Fortnite has added official Gyro & Flick Stick Support (Switch, PS4|5, Android, & PC) [Made in Collab with Jibb Smart] Epic

FAQ: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/gyro-aiming-and-flick-stick-come-to-fortnite-in-v19-30-more-controller-options?sessionInvalidated=true BRING IN FLICK STICK! FORTNITE GYRO TIPS NOTE CAN I STILL USE AIM ASSIST WHILE USING GYRO? Having Gyro Aiming on disables aim assist...

Last edited:

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Hoping Xbox revises their controller to add gyro the option for people who want it. It's pretty great, and they're the only console manufacturer who doesn't have it. I feel like when the day comes that they do, a lot more games will support it, considering all player bases would have the option, versus almost all minus one.

Devil

Oct 25, 2017
Wow great. I already put Deathloop in my download queue on PS5 today but I didn't expect to play it soon because of how many games I'm already juggling and are still coming out in the coming months. But this certainly makes me much more excited to try it. Might play it sooner now.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fortnite
www.resetera.com

Fortnite has added official Gyro & Flick Stick Support (Switch, PS4|5, Android, & PC) [Made in Collab with Jibb Smart] Epic

FAQ: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/gyro-aiming-and-flick-stick-come-to-fortnite-in-v19-30-more-controller-options?sessionInvalidated=true BRING IN FLICK STICK! FORTNITE GYRO TIPS NOTE CAN I STILL USE AIM ASSIST WHILE USING GYRO? Having Gyro Aiming on disables aim assist...
Explains why I never heard about it then. There's like a glitch with my eyes where they delete any Fortnite thread before it gets to my brain. Like it took me forever to find out no-build matches are a permanent thing now.

Chamon

Feb 26, 2019
This is great, but in the other hand, since I tried gyro in TLOU2, I find myself trying to aim with the controller in games that don't support it… 😅

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Even though I won't be playing Deathloop, I am SO happy that this is happening. We need these aiming options more and the only way to do it is to get bigger games to adopt it.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Awesome and great timing.
Always wanted to try Deathloop.
Ego shooters are one of my most favourite genres.
But since I have problems with my right thumb I have to avoid them.
Now I should be able to play it without too many problems.

To all devs:
Please add gyro aiming as a standard control scheme to all games with a free moveable camera.
Some people have disabilities and this would be a great help.

JibbSmart

Sep 28, 2019
Australia
I saw Neoxon liked the news, so I waited a few minutes and logged on here figuring there'd be a thread <3

I'm over the moon to see this update go live, as you'd probably guess. Awesome game, excellent devs, absolute joy to work with them!

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Out of curiosity, this update fixes the camera movement aligned with the unstable FPS output?

Without a proper locked FPS (meaning that VRR is useless) aiming and camera movement feels pretty bad.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
HEY YO FUCK YES

This right here is the thing that gets me on PSPlus Extra -today-

Never thought I'd see the day ;u;

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Yo this is the first time I've heard about flick stick. I absolutely need this in Splatoon 3.

And Microsoft needs to put a gyro in their controller so this can become industry standard.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I saw Neoxon liked the news, so I waited a few minutes and logged on here figuring there'd be a thread <3

I'm over the moon to see this update go live, as you'd probably guess. Awesome game, excellent devs, absolute joy to work with them!
Like I said on Twitter, you've been putting in the work regarding gyro & flick stick lately. I & a number of others appreciate what you do.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019

Haven' tried it yet but, I am really grateful for your work and wanted to thank you and all people involved.
This one thing makes a real difference for people like me, who otherwise won't be able to play the game.

By the way - how hard is it to implement gyro aiming?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yo this is the first time I've heard about flick stick. I absolutely need this in Splatoon 3.

And Microsoft needs to put a gyro in their controller so this can become industry standard.
Yep I've been hype about playing this on Gamepass with some friends (already beat it on PC) but this news means I will probably never touch the game on Xbox, since on PS5 I won't feel constrained by playing an FPS on controller the way I would on Xbox. That's how important gyro is to me, it's almost as good as mouse and keyboard and a huge jump over dual sticks alone.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Out of curiosity, this update fixes the camera movement aligned with the unstable FPS output?

Without a proper locked FPS (meaning that VRR is useless) aiming and camera movement feels pretty bad.
The Xbox version immediately feels smoother than my experience with Ps5. I'm not sure if that's because I didn't have VRR when I last played it on Ps5 or if other fixes have been made too. Or both

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
I'm trying to think here:

A PS5 game made by an Xbox owned studio is adding gyro for PS5, yet this functionality is not built into on Xbox.

I know Xbox doesn't have gyro(long overdue) but I find this a bit funny.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm trying to think here:

A PS5 game made by an Xbox owned studio is adding gyro for PS5, yet this functionality is not built into on Xbox.

I know Xbox doesn't have gyro(long overdue) but I find this a bit funny.
At this point, Microsoft really needs to add a gyroscope to future revisions of the Xbox Series controller. As you said, Microsoft's own developers are adding gyro aiming for everyone except Xbox.

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I was going to sell my PS5 copy and play on GamePass, but this will flip me right back to my PS5 copy.

MS need to implement gyro into their next gamepad and xinput.

JibbSmart

Sep 28, 2019
Australia
Haven' tried it yet but, I am really grateful for your work and wanted to thank you and all people involved.
This one thing makes a real difference for people like me, who otherwise won't be able to play the game.

By the way - how hard is it to implement gyro aiming?
Thanks for the kind words!
And to answer your question: super easy; barely an inconvenience!

But there are some common mistakes and hidden knowledge. Devs try to figure this stuff out for themselves and fall into the common traps and miss the hidden knowledge. But with a little advice, the implementation isn't hard at all.

I'm giving a talk at GCAP in two weeks on how to implement gyro aiming well. Still have a lot of prep to do, but hoping to make it a one-stop-shop for everything a dev needs to know.