• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
In a new article published on their website discuss the game Bethesda included a small snippet at the bottom confirming the console exclusivity window to be one year:

https://bethesda.net/en/article/6pCqqknel0LziM3WSIAYQO/taking-out-targets-in-deathloop

DEATHLOOP will launch on console exclusively for PlayStation 5 in Q2, 2021, and will run at 4K/60FPS at launch. DEATHLOOP will also be launching on PC at the same time. (Console exclusivity is for a limited time. Not available on other consoles until one year after release date.)

This will presumably be true of Ghostwire: Tokyo as well which was part of the same deal with PlayStation. So are you going to pick up the game? Wait? Not buy it at all?

If you ask me it is a really shitty thing to do in the first place but a year window makes it seem all the worse a decision. I can only imagine this hurts Arkane more than it helps. Who knows though.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Companies paying money to pubs so that other gamers can't have a game will never not be hilarious to me. So poopy. So competitive. So exclusive. So unique.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I thought this was known already. 1 year seems to be the standard for timed exclusivity now.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Only thing I see from these kind of deals is a better version for me when it's over since it'll have any improvements/fixes already in.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
As a primary PC gamer, I refuse to buy a console for just one game. Waiting a whole year for an Arkane game is going to be real tough though.

madgorillaz

Oct 28, 2017
This obviously sucks for Xbox and Switch, but I also find this interesting because their is no historic precedent for this type of relationship to ensue between Sony and Bethesda. I honestly wonder if it really was just a lot of money.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This obviously sucks for Xbox and Switch, but I also find this interesting because their is no historic precedent for this type of relationship to ensue between Sony and Bethesda. I honestly wonder if it really was just a lot of money.
It's Bethesda trying to do something about their trend of single player non-RPG games failing to sell.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Given the sales for the last couple of Arkane games I'm not surprised Bethesda cut a deal with Sony.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Sony sure made a lot of them tomb raider deals no one liked. Maybe they all will launch on game pass a year later.

BobsReset

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
So this is actually kind of great, I didnt think deathloop was coming to xbox at all. Am very pleased its only timed exclusivity as it gives me even more ammunition to wait until GoW or a mid gen refresh for the PS5

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about GAAS timed exclusives is they are always way better when they come to other platforms later on, and severely lack content at launch.
The platform is essential moneyhatting a MTX farm for its players to beta test.

Nov 2, 2017
Sucks for Xbox and Switch owners. Thank god for,

tvFxujd.gif

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Notice how it isn't actually a Bethesda Game Studios game. I think that relationship is still with Microsoft.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I was not aware of that but that's good to know since at the moment I'm leaning more toward an Xbox

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
But, I was told that Epic Games was bad and when consoles had exclusives it was only first party games and it was nowhere near the same! Now I don't know who to trust!!!

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope this doesn't hurt the game. I saw a LOT of Twitch/YouTube comments that were confused about the concept or thought the game sucked.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Companies paying money to pubs so that other gamers can't have a game will never not be hilarious to me. So poopy. So competitive. So exclusive. So unique.
The only time it doesn't upset me is if it's a small dev or an indie dev as it's mutually beneficial. "Hey we will give you some money to help get the game done well, for exclusivity for a bit". When it's big companies it's complete nonsense.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
But, I was told that Epic Games was bad and when consoles had exclusives it was only first party games and it was nowhere near the same! Now I don't know who to trust!!!
One thing that is (was) attractive about PC gaming is the openness of the platform for obtaining and playing games how & where your want. Third-party exclusives suck on consoles. They also suck on PC and are being a moneyhatted experience thanks to Epic. So yeah, what you were told still holds true.