• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Some additional information from the IGN FanFest stream
  • AEON Trinkets imbued with the anomoly can be used to change the properties of your weapons and yourself (jump higher, run faster, lifesteal)
  • Slabs can be acquired by killing visionaires which provide you with new abilities
  • Powers from the Dishonored series were brought back to help with that feeling of familiarity
  • While each visionary can be killed in various ways, killing all eight of them in a single day can only be done in one way, challenge comes in figuring out the puzzle
  • Districts and their narrative vignettes change depending on the time of day
A post I made summing things up from all the info released so far if you're out of the loop:
  • May 21, 2021 for PS5 and PC (Steam)
  • Set on Blackreef (inspired by Faroe Islands), former military base and the site of experiments which puts the island under a time loop, a never ending party hosted by AEON takes place who want to maintain the loop
  • AEON is a group of rich, opportunistic 20-somethings who call themselves visionaries and want to live forever
  • Once the clock hits midnight, everything resets
  • Days are split into morning, noon, afternoon and night
  • Colt has to kill all eight targets (visionaries) in one day to break the loop
  • As long as one visionary is alive, the loop can be reset
  • You can tackle the targets in whatever order you want
  • No timer as you explore, clock will move when you move between districts, completing an in-game objective will cause the clock to move forward more
  • Julianna hunts you throughout the game, can disguise herself as any NPC, can be controlled by either an AI or human player (remnants of Arkane's cancelled game The Crossing)
  • Multiplayer is optional and can be disabled at any time
  • One big map split into four districts which you can explore at will to gain knowledge, in pursuit of that perfect loop
  • Can't do every single thing in a single day so use your time wisely
  • No non-lethal runs, stealth plays a part but isn't the main focus like in Dishonored
  • No weapon or power wheels like dishonored, have to choose a specific loadout instead
  • 4K 60fps on PS5 with support for the DualSense's adaptive triggers

Last edited:

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
killing all eight targets in a single day can only be in a single way, challenge comes in figuring out the puzzle
This feels kinda of disappointing. I think there is a lot to be said about letting people get creative

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
This game has so much potential! If you guys want a taste of Arkane Rogue-like action then check out Prey Mooncrash, it was a blast

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
This game seems so unique in concept, I love it. It truly challenges the player to step outside their comfort zone with all the changing dynamics.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Looks good but is it online only because that is where I can see the potential where the game keeps changing.

Remachinate

Oct 27, 2017
Not every game needs to be built for replaying. Sometimes, a difficult puzzle is fun to solve once, and you move on with life having had that experience.

It just seems incongruous with Arkane's design philosophy of handing you a bunch of interesting tools in an open-ended, reactive environment and letting you find your own fun.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
This sounds more interesting to me now, honestly. I rarely replay games and I'm not a huge fan of roguelikes so the fact that there's one way to complete it in the end makes it more appealing for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Like that this is more action focused than Dishonored which I always felt compelled to play stealth. Will wait for reviews concept seems like it could be hit or miss.

Space Gomez

Oct 28, 2017
Not too worried about the "solve in one way" idea. There's only one way to beat Outer Wilds, but trying to find that solution made for one of the best games I've ever played.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Sounds exciting. I'm just afraid to be spoiled, or to be spend lots of time and then say "screw it" and look up the solution to the game. High spoiler potential.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
This feels kinda of disappointing. I think there is a lot to be said about letting people get creative
Yeah, thats strange, maybe its for story purposes? Seems like its structured like a Hitman/Rouge-lite hybrid, where you kill targets and try again until you figure out the story and beat the game.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
While each visionary can be killed in various ways, killing all eight targets in a single day can only be in a single way, challenge comes in figuring out the puzzle

I might be overreacting since we still don't know how exactly it will work, but this sounds disappointing.

I was expecting to be able to do this in different ways, like the example they gave previously in another trailer, where if you ruin a scientific experience from one of your targets he'll attend a party instead where you can kill him and another target at the same place.

I assumed stuff like this was optional but now I'm not so sure. Maybe it is THE way.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I don't get where people are saying this is a roguelike? You keep your weapons and abilities with each reset, and the whole point of the game is to figure out the singular way you're supposed to eliminate these targets in one go, which implies to me that the world doesn't change with each reset, or at least not to the point of a typical roguelike

Am I missing some info? Because it sounds like the exact opposite of a roguelike/rogue lite to me

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Excited for this. Loved Prey, haven't played Dishonored. How is the Prey Moon Crash DLC?

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I don't get where people are saying this is a roguelike? You keep your weapons and abilities with each reset, and the whole point of the game is to figure out the singular way you're supposed to eliminate these targets in one go, which implies to me that the world doesn't change with each reset, or at least not to the point of a typical roguelike

Am I missing some info? Because it sounds like the exact opposite of a roguelike/rogue lite to me

Yeah I don't understand where that came from either, if anything this is the exact opposite since the world doesn't change with your deaths, the objective is learning your targets routes so you can plan ahead.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
This Game looks soo freaking good, might end up being the best Arkane Game for me, because it feels like it's inspired by all the things you could do in Dishonored but without any restrictions like multipile endings based on your playstyle.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017

I think it's just a case of people using a limited vocabulary to describe games.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I know the targets have routines, but I'm curious whether the other miscellaneous NPCs also have routines, they seem to be standing around waiting to be shot in the footage we've seen.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico

Roguelike it's the next word to lose all meaning in Era lol

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
People really calling this a roguelike :D

I don't get it... and i thought i did...
If visionaries can be played by people, how the heck do you guarantee there is only one way to kill them all in a day...
The only visionary that can be controlled by a human is Julianna, she's most likely the first to die as she'll be after you

Dec 14, 2017
I don't think the 'single way to win' means what we think exactly. There's probably a special item or ability that needs to be applied to each target to fully complete the kill. Otherwise, once you learn the map you can just dash in blast each one and dash to the next target. It's definitely being setup more like Outer Wilds where there are many things to do and ways to do everything, but it comes back to a single method still.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
The visionaries can't be controlled by players. There's one separate character to those 8, who is hunting you down and can be either AI or player-controlled.

Yeah, i am lacking sleep so i missed the OP Julianna line :P
Hitmajora with a mole

Julianna is referenced as a visionary in this video, so she's one of the 8
It's possible we have to telefrag to end the loop, suicide disintegration... so... that would mean only one way to last kill