• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheAquaticApe

Oct 25, 2017
The game is great, but I was also surprised as how easy it has been so far (about 5 hours in and on PC). I always go loud and it's never been an issue - I've taken down 4 visionaries solo and Julianna every time she's invaded. The nail gun makes clearing out enemies trivial from a distance. I also have a purple shotgun that chews through people.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tougher AI would destroy the flow of this game.
Having to restart the loop without making any progress a lot of the time because the AI wrecked you would suck.

I agree. People think they know what they want until they're bombarded with AI like in Aleksi's mansion. They were spotting me even while I was cloaked. It was crazy.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Isnt that one of the positives with Arkane games? Stealth or guns blazing is always both a viable approach.

Is it? In Dishonored that brings chaos, which brigns the "bad ending".

Here, I don't know if it's viable, I haven't played a lot. So far I was able to just shoot my way out, however, I'm not sure if this will continue to be viable later.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Nov 19, 2019
The tutorial is killing me.

I started to try and engage with the wider world and realized I should just be hitting the main objectives at this point of the game. I really hate that feeling. I'll stick with it.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Don't want to read too much of the thread, I'll be getting the LPP from my apartment (in the morning) and feel like I'm still the tutorial.

Enjoying it so far, but waiting for everything to click. Still dying super easily, and am ready to feel endgame BioShock powerful.

Correct, you are! Getting the LPP and escaping concludes the "tutorial"

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
When invading, having to kill Colt three times just to win is insane. So many times where I've killed him twice and just fall short.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Does infusing stuff let you keep the item permanently on subsequent runs or is it just the NEXT run you get the item again?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
It makes no sense, it's super frustrating that the game is so linear… the game ends up feeling super tedious because of it.

Its less "master puppeteer of 8 visionaries", and more "your princess is in another castle".
Theres literally a portion of the game that has you go to a location to get an item informing you of a location, then you go to that location find the door is locked - but wait there's an item that tells you where the passcode is - in another location! Then you get to that location, open a safe and it tells you how to decipher the passcode in another location!

Super tedious and not actually doing anything cool with time manipulation aspect. I imagine the game was a lot more ambitious at some point.
I don't think the game feels linear at all. Where I'm at there's so much bandwidth in what plot threads I advance, which slab upgrades/gear I go for, how I explore a map in a given loop.

The time manipulation aspect feels way better to me than it does in actual Groundhog Day games because instead of having to repeat the same tedious shit again and again, I'm getting all the cool parts (knowing the world well, exploring how things impact each other, 'speedrunning') without the bad parts. The 'loop' is effectively an economic constraint.

repeated visionary kills for slabs have felt especially satisfying, knowing what i'm getting into and being able to blast in and practice routes

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
But then... you lose a huge part of the game. I think you are really undercutting the experience if you turn off online, Hixx.

I turned the online off last night and it does suck not having the threat of invasion. The AI is less of a threat than traversal is which is a shame so it is missing a bit of... spice.

But it hasn't crashed at all since. I'm getting tempted to turn it back on though.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I jinxed myself. First crash in multiplayer. Had a cool flank to slit Colt's throat and the crash. Welp. I hope Arkane continues to nurture the PvP. It's got a good concept it just needs more.

Yoshi88

Oct 26, 2017
I do hate the "search battery, load battery, put battery in" for any machine thing, though. Especially since the batteries don't really look that different from ammo boxes or other uninteractable stuff lying around at first glance. I already wasn't a fan of the whale oil tank fetching in Dishonored.

Seems to be an Arkane-staple now, but i feel it's as trivial as it is tedious :/

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
AI is so bad that it seems easier to kill everyone in the map and then proceed with exploration / objectives.... that's a bit of a shame :/

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Is it? In Dishonored that brings chaos, which brigns the "bad ending".

Here, I don't know if it's viable, I haven't played a lot. So far I was able to just shoot my way out, however, I'm not sure if this will continue to be viable later.

in dishonored i always played non lethal stealth. here i figure none of it matters because of the loop so i'm just gunning down everyone and it's a blast

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
in dishonored i always played non lethal stealth. here i figure none of it matters because of the loop so i'm just gunning down everyone and it's a blast

So, the game doesn't become too hard or anything if you just run in and start shooting? Is stealth just an option or something developers expect you to use?

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Don't want to read too much of the thread, I'll be getting the LPP from my apartment (in the morning) and feel like I'm still the tutorial.
Getting the LPP and escaping concludes the "tutorial"
Actually this is incorrect. When you get the LPP, key aspects of the progression system are still not unlocked yet, and I believe neither is the option to play as Julianna and invade other peoples' games. Those don't unlock until you finish the the mission after getting the LPP. That mission, where you return to The Complex, is the final mission of the tutorial.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Had time to really start with the game and having a lot of fun with it, though it's crashed twice now at the end of Updaam before moving to Control and uh, I'd like to actually progress please. I know the irony in the complaint when it's a loop based game but reloading at the start of Updaam with the same objective is a little too meta for my taste right now lol

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
So I can't collect any residuum, I've gone by all these glowing items because it doesn't give me any prompt to pick it up and i thought maybe after I complete the first full day the game will start letting me collect them but in Updaam again I can't do anything with these. Is my game just bugged out? Or does it just take longer to start grabbing those?

benj

Oct 27, 2017
So I can't collect any residuum, I've gone by all these glowing items because it doesn't give me any prompt to pick it up and i thought maybe after I complete the first full day the game will start letting me collect them but in Updaam again I can't do anything with these. Is my game just bugged out? Or does it just take longer to start grabbing those?
just keep playing

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
Gunplay is very very good, a big improvement over Dishonored and Prey (tho the main reason is probably the Dualsense implementation)

There's a ton of stuff to do in each map, when you really start exploring you could stay there for 2-3 hours straight and still not be able to see/find averything.
I'm also in love with Julianna, great character and lots of fun to use, multiplayer is GOOD

Amazing game so far

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I turned the online off last night and it does suck not having the threat of invasion. The AI is less of a threat than traversal is which is a shame so it is missing a bit of... spice.

But it hasn't crashed at all since. I'm getting tempted to turn it back on though.
Tengaar and Ripley would want you to turn the online back on. Do it for them, Hixx.
(Though I understand that if the online is making your game run awfully it is probably not worth it, but that is really unfortunate. Hopefully they can patch this issue and get things running smoother for people.)

Only got the evening left and if it goes well, I will have broken the loop! Nervous lmao
Looks like someone needs an invasion... COLT MUST DIE!!! PROTECT THE LOOP!!!

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
When did the game start to "click" for people?

I believe I just did my first full day and woke back up on the beach, my first day was really disorienting, filled with a massive amount of overwhelming quests and information being thrown at me, and felt a little aimless and confusing.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
When did the game start to "click" for people?

I believe I just did my first full day and woke back up on the beach, my first day was really disorienting, filled with a massive amount of overwhelming quests and information being thrown at me, and felt a little aimless and confusing.
When you finish the tutorial, i.e. when you've completed the 7th "mission", which asks you to return to The Complex during (I believe) "Noon" after your first full day.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People who don't even advance anywhere as Colt are laaaame. Why even keep your thing online if you're not going to actively play?

Don't worry, I can play the waiting game too.

Edit: After 30 minutes I found the dude just kept cloaking in the corner and killed him. He wasn't expecting me to follow the trail of guns and open doors. So dumb. Lmao.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
About 7 loops in and I'm having fun and the world is nicely dense but,

everything just seems like chaos. There are a million things going on at once and I'm basically overwhelmed by the whole thing. I'm still playing because it's good, but it's all just madness for me so far lol

Mar 19, 2021
Tengaar and Ripley would want you to turn the online back on. Do it for them, Hixx.
(Though I understand that if the online is making your game run awfully it is probably not worth it, but that is really unfortunate. Hopefully they can patch this issue and get things running smoother for people.)

Looks like someone needs an invasion... COLT MUST DIE!!! PROTECT THE LOOP!!!

I actually did get invaded and barely made it out, but I FINISHED IT!!!! What a game, might come close to my GOTY Returnal for me, easy 9.5/10 and I've never enjoyed Arkane's games before.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Got a chance to play more last night and was ready digging it until I finished the "tutorial" and then fought the first suggested boss and now I love everything about this game.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
Only played a couple of hours but I'm not having a great time. Someone compared to Outer Wilds which I love; wish I could explore more without fighting every 30 seconds. Graphics especially enemy agents are pretty basic and sound mix is awful. Menu is gaudy and hard to focus. I'll persevere but this is my least favourite Arkane game by a country mile so far.

ArchAngel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That tutorial left me more confused and annoyed than in the beginning. Man, to much explanations on every menu makes me feel like it's unnessesary confusing and could done better.
At least I'm learning more about it as I play right now and after 4 hours, I think I know how it works. But I definitely won't read any texts in this game anymore.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
My copy got delayed and being anxious for it, I tried to see if I could buy a temp copy and just return the one that is arriving late. I was surprised to see how it's completely sold out at all the Targets and Best Buys in the area and there are a lot of them here. Not a single copy in the region. Hopefully that's a sign that it's selling massively well and not just from being under shipped.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! Tutorial just seems extra long in this I was worried lol
yeah, it is extra long, and they keep their cards close to their chest about when it 'ends'. i like the format structurally but it does feel like they could use some "DON'T WORRY, JUST KEEP PLAYING" messaging in there or something

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
It makes no sense, it's super frustrating that the game is so linear… the game ends up feeling super tedious because of it.

Its less "master puppeteer of 8 visionaries", and more "your princess is in another castle".
Theres literally a portion of the game that has you go to a location to get an item informing you of a location, then you go to that location find the door is locked - but wait there's an item that tells you where the passcode is - in another location! Then you get to that location, open a safe and it tells you how to decipher the passcode in another location!

Super tedious and not actually doing anything cool with time manipulation aspect. I imagine the game was a lot more ambitious at some point.

Sounds like you are still in the tutorial. That changes once you get out of that. My problem isn't that. My problem is that I can basically just run past every enemy and kill the visionary I am hunting then run away. No stealth, no powers, no planning needed.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
My friend was super confused when he died goofing around in Updaam the first time (after he'd completed the objective to get to the apartment), and instead of resetting, the game apparently just pushed him into the next zone at noon, lol.

He also pointed out that some/often times Colt's VA feels like he's....almost underwater? Or in a different recording room with different acoustics compared to everyone else?

Whatever it is, something is definitely 'off' compared to most other lines and now I can't not hear it, lol.

benj

Oct 27, 2017
there might've been latency issues but he missed a lot, I don't think ttk is so low that that'd necessarily be a kill. maybe go for the machete next time