• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Thanks to threads like this one to guide on the task to make this more enjoyable on PC. Seems like I´ll give up high framerates for a more constant 60fps experience. Shame 60fps doesn´t feel that good on my 144hz screen. Yesterday I played with this slightly annoying judder at around 100fps with my 2080 / 5900x system, then I crashed with an error similar to the one another user posted before.

I also get constant warnings that I´m running out of VRAM (Always thought 8gb was too little for the 2080, oh well), a bit annoying and forced me to lower stuff further. We´ll see with these settings how it runs.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like I´ll give up high framerates for a more constant 60fps experience. Shame 60fps doesn´t feel that good on my 144hz screen.
If it's a fixed-refresh display, try setting it to 120Hz and use the game's half-refresh v-sync option.
If it's VRR display, disable v-sync and set the limit to 60.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
So I donno what happened, but it suddenly started to feel a LOT better with mouse the moment I switched to exclusive fullscreen mode along with the setup that everyone here is using (though I now have Gsync on). Like I still notice the judder a bit, but it's nothing like it was before where it made the game just unfun with mouse controls.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
So I donno what happened, but it suddenly started to feel a LOT better with mouse the moment I switched to exclusive fullscreen mode along with the setup that everyone here is using (though I now have Gsync on). Like I still notice the judder a bit, but it's nothing like it was before where it made the game just unfun with mouse controls.

Sounds like your setup might be similar to mine (fps cap and gsync on). Notice any input lag?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like your setup might be similar to mine (fps cap and gsync on). Notice any input lag?
Yea FPS capped to 141 and Gsync on.
I actually disabled the low latency stuff, don't really notice the lag really. I even turned off adaptive resolution because I wasn't using Vsync anymore, and apparently vsync based adaptive resolution is what was recommended here.

I'm not gonna play with settings anymore as I'm happy with this at the moment.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Are there no drivers for this for a 2080?

I checked for updates but nothing

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
The game just froze up on me. I alt+tabbed out and was messing with my web browser for a minute, when suddenly the game unfroze itself randomly. Wait...just froze back up a few seconds later.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else had an issue where entering a new level started with loads of hitching and then afterwards it would create a sharp stutter spike every 5 seconds regularly, even with the camera still on a flat wall? Only solution for me so far is restarting the game which fixes it, but nothing beyond that.

Regarding the camera motion, the mouse definitely isn't right and seems to pan in a "stepped" manner unlike the gamepad. Like it's emulating button presses for its movement instead of tracking the mouse smoothly.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I turned off the in-game vsync and turned it on in Nvidia Profiler instead and the game seems a lot smoother now.

Feels like it takes forever to load now tho? It was already kinda slow last night but I think it's worse now?

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Anyone else experiencing performance issues only during the evening sequences? Just played through noon and afternoon without so much as a hitch, but now back into evening and the game is dropping frames again,

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
So a byproduct of using this Dualsense on the PC version hooked up to a TV - these haptics feel so fucking neat. The rhythms for gun firing, the alternating foot steps, the hacking vibration - some really cool implementations. Wish I could aim better but I'm having a ton of fun!

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
anyway to use dualsense wireless and get the features still...only worked when I plugged it in

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
So a byproduct of using this Dualsense on the PC version hooked up to a TV - these haptics feel so fucking neat. The rhythms for gun firing, the alternating foot steps, the hacking vibration - some really cool implementations. Wish I could aim better but I'm having a ton of fun!

The second game that uses it, hope this trend continues. Also hope that Sony releases an official wireless adapter so these features don't require a wired connection but I'm not holding my breath.

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
In my 144hz monitor the in-game vsync in half-refresh set's to 72 and is a stutter fest... How can I make the game set the maximum refresh to 120?

Honestly, sometimes is easier to have a monitor with just 30hz intervals...

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
So, let me get this straight. On my ROG Swift PG278Q monitor (144 hz Gsync), my best bet would be to set the refresh rate to 120 hz using Nvidia control panel, disable Gsync and then use a half rate refresh to lock it to 60 for minimum stutter?

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
Are the servers just down, or is there something that's making me fail out of logging into bnet every time I start the game up?

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Played two missions and it feels weird. Its rough when aiming left right quick
I locked it 120 in-game and I'm not going to bother with workarounds to make my experience smooth

Hopefully Arkane releases the patch soon since they acknowledged the issue

Gumbie

Oct 28, 2017
Played two missions and it feels weird. Its rough when aiming left right quick
I locked it 120 in-game and I'm not going to bother with workarounds to make my experience smooth

Hopefully Arkane releases the patch soon since they acknowledged the issue

Oh I missed that, was it on twitter? If so I'll hold out a little while for a mouse jitter fix.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Already tried, the mouse is still juddery af.
There are two separate issues:
  1. The game judders at specific frame rates, no matter what.
  2. The mouse input is not smooth.
There is no fix for #2 right now.
But the game can run smooth if you're using a gamepad, at the right frame rate.
There is no tolerance though. Even if you're using VRR, the frame rate must be constant. Framerate instability will stutter just like you'd see on a fixed-refresh display.

I just got some testing done, as the migraine I got from the game earlier was starting to pass (and I now regret it).

Frame RateSyncResultLoading Time
25 FPSV-Sync (100Hz, 1/4 Refresh)Judder02:30
33 FPSV-Sync (100Hz, 1/3 Refresh)Judder02:05
50 FPSV-Sync (100Hz, 1/2 Refresh)Judder01:35
100 FPSV-Sync (100Hz, NVIDIA)Judder01:05
30 FPSV-Sync (120Hz, 1/4 Refresh)Smooth
40 FPSV-Sync (120Hz, 1/3 Refresh)Smooth01:55
60 FPSV-Sync (120Hz, 1/2 Refresh)Smooth
120 FPSV-Sync (120Hz, NVIDIA)Smooth
30 FPSG-SyncJudder00:35
45 FPSG-SyncJudder00:35
60 FPSG-SyncSmooth00:35
75 FPSG-SyncJudder00:35
90 FPSG-SyncJudder00:35
105 FPSG-SyncJudder00:35
120 FPSG-SyncSmooth00:35

Note: V-Sync was not forced via the NVIDIA Control Panel when using G-Sync, since that would slow down the loading.
Though it goes against typical recommendations, 60 FPS at 120Hz is never going to tear on a VRR display - even with V-Sync completely disabled.
Normally though, if you're disabling V-Sync in the game, you should be forcing it via the NVCP.

I recommend using the in-game option for V-Sync if you are using regular or half-refresh.
That should also cut down the loading times to match the "G-Sync" times.

The game does not include options for 1/3 or 1/4 refresh, though. They had to be set via NVIDIA Profile Inspector.
I'm not sure why it is that 30/40 FPS via 1/3 or 1/4 refresh are judder-free. They seem like outliers.

In my 144hz monitor the in-game vsync in half-refresh set's to 72 and is a stutter fest... How can I make the game set the maximum refresh to 120?
Honestly, sometimes is easier to have a monitor with just 30hz intervals...
Set it to 120Hz in the NVIDIA Control Panel. The game doesn't have an option for refresh rate.

So, let me get this straight. On my ROG Swift PG278Q monitor (144 hz Gsync), my best bet would be to set the refresh rate to 120 hz using Nvidia control panel, disable Gsync and then use a half rate refresh to lock it to 60 for minimum stutter?
If you have a VRR display, disable the in-game V-Sync and set the limiter to 60 FPS.
Visually, the output should be the same, but it will be lower latency.

Anyone else had an issue where entering a new level started with loads of hitching and then afterwards it would create a sharp stutter spike every 5 seconds regularly, even with the camera still on a flat wall? Only solution for me so far is restarting the game which fixes it, but nothing beyond that.
I've had this happen once, when I first enabled ray tracing. I wasn't sure if it was related to that or not.

Last edited:

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Oh I missed that, was it on twitter? If so I'll hold out a little while for a mouse jitter fix.
The game's discussion page on Steam

Screenshot-2021-09-14-at-23-31-07.png

starblue

Oct 28, 2017
I need help with my 2070 Super. It keeps saying that my VRAM is too high (6900Mb) but I can't lower more than that (shadows in low makes the VRAM go to 6500Mb but I prefer to lower other settings/thing and not compromise the shadows too much). Is there any optimal settings for the 2070 Super out there ?

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
It's already set. The game detects that 144hz is available, and even setting the application controlled, the games forces 144 T_T
Huh, when I set my TV to 100Hz it stays at that.
In the NVIDIA Control Panel there is also a "Preferred Refresh Rate" option which can force your display to the highest supported rate in games.
That's generally a good thing, but you may wish to set the game's profile to "Application-Controlled".

EDIT: I just realized that the game still says "On (120Hz)" and "Half (60Hz)" even when my display is set to 100Hz.
It does actually limit the game to 50/100 FPS, though. That text seems to be based on the maximum refresh rate, not the current refresh rate.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Man all this talk about judder is making me nervous. I have an i7 7700k 2080 super. Should I get this on PC or just say fuck it and get it on ps5 for a smooth experience.

pulsemyne

Oct 30, 2017
I need help with my 2070 Super. It keeps saying that my VRAM is too high (6900Mb) but I can't lower more than that (shadows in low makes the VRAM go to 6500Mb but I prefer to lower other settings/thing and not compromise the shadows too much). Is there any optimal settings for the 2070 Super out there ?
Ignore it. Just put the game on a mix of medium to high. The VRAM warning is not correct.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
So I played for about a half hour and in the first main area, I had it freeze on me several times. Hell, one of the freezes lasted about 10 seconds where the game even came up as unresponsive in Task Manager. It eventually kept going but fuck me does the game shit itself in the main area for me.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Don't give it any attention its rubbish. Crank it up

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Man all this talk about judder is making me nervous. I have an i7 7700k 2080 super. Should I get this on PC or just say fuck it and get it on ps5 for a smooth experience.
If you plan on using a controller, and don't mind 60 FPS, it is mostly fine on PC right now.
But I recommend buying it directly on Steam rather than getting a key, so that you can refund it if you have problems.
If you want to use a mouse, or are only on PC because you want >60 FPS, wait and see if they fix it.

So I played for about a half hour and in the first main area, I had it freeze on me several times. Hell, one of the freezes lasted about 10 seconds where the game even came up as unresponsive in Task Manager. It eventually kept going but fuck me does the game shit itself in the main area for me.
Make sure that you're running the latest Game Ready driver for the game (471.96).
There were severe performance issues like you describe, when using the latest Studio driver (471.68) which is three weeks older.
Beta drivers (5xx.xx) may not display a warning when you launch the game, but may not include the profile for it yet.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Well, I'm done looking at this for now.
It's triggered a migraine so I'm probably going to be spending the better part of the evening lying down in a dark room.
Hopefully they fix the mouse input soon, as I think that was the cause.

I need to stop buying keys.
The lack of a refund option ends up costing me more in the end now, with the state of PC games these days.

RE: Village, Life is Strange: True Colors, and now Deathloop are the only 2021 releases I've bought and they've all had issues.
Outer Wilds is the other main game I've played this year, and it was also bad; but thankfully fixable with Special K.
I've gotten absolutely fed up with feeling like a chump for wanting to support studios and/or games early on. I'm really close to making it a general rule to only buy games once they're half off. I don't think there's a game I've bought in the last year that I didn't end up waiting for patches to play. To some extent, that's where my extreme intolerance for this issue is coming from. Just wish games would be released when they are fucking ready.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like Gsync is working now as well for me. I'm playing at 70-100FPS and it feels smooth like not 100% but it's smooth enough that I don't see an issue anymore and can use a mouse.

So I don't think the issue is with variable refresh rate or FPS between 60-120 or frametime. But rather the mouse input itself.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
If you plan on using a controller, and don't mind 60 FPS, it is mostly fine on PC right now.
But I recommend buying it directly on Steam rather than getting a key, so that you can refund it if you have problems.
If you want to use a mouse, or are only on PC because you want >60 FPS, wait and see if they fix it.

I saw that 120hz is fine too. Do you HAVE to hit 120 fps to get a smooth experience or is just setting it at 120hz good enough?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If anyone can give me a heads up how this runs on a 970 with an i7-4790k that'd be swell.
Reporting in on myself, the game seems to run pretty well on Low settings with 60fps though I haven't gotten to any of the intense parts of the game yet so I imagine there'll be some drops. Goddamn is my computer fan going wild though.

EDIT: small update, I had to downgrade the graphics to Very Low because I was getting some really severe freezes/stutters during my first real alert sequence.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who isn't having mouse issues? Locked the game to 60 fps with vsync and it's smooth as butter.

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I saw that 120hz is fine too. Do you HAVE to hit 120 fps to get a smooth experience or is just setting it at 120hz good enough?

If you want it totally smooth you have to hit 120 fps.

My subjective experience is that it is still reasonably smooth (although not perfect) at framerates close to 120, but that could just be imagining things, so ymmv.