• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I feel the emotion on a deeply spiritual level lol. Couple tips for the future though:
1.) You can set task manager to always show on top.
2.) You can use Windows key + arrow keys to move/snap the active window across multiple monitors.

With those 2 things combined, you'll pretty much always be able to force close an application.

Dictator Any chance you'd be willing to share some optimized settings that take RT into account, if you have them already? I understand if you want to save the good stuff for the video of course. I'm on a RTX 2080 on a 4k monitor and need every saving I can get to have acceptable image quality. I'm currently using the settings you posted earlier, with whatever the lowest RT setting is and DRS is able to drop down as low as 50%.

Side note, very upset that DLSS isn't in here. Would make playing with RT a no brainer.
If you're willing, I'd setup 1800p as a custom resolution, it's what I've done on my 2080

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
If you're willing, I'd setup 1800p as a custom resolution, it's what I've done on my 2080
Yeah but since it's not really reconstruction in this game, I don't think that would benefit with this title? That is what I do to get acceptable image quality and performance in Cyberpunk though. DLSS at 1800p is a lot faster than DLSS at 4k.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but since it's not really reconstruction in this game, I don't think that would benefit with this title? That is what I do to get acceptable image quality and performance in Cyberpunk though. DLSS at 1800p is a lot faster than DLSS at 4k.
It helped me go from the low to mid 50s to 60

Used sunbrodaves settings posted earlier too

tripleg

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 30, 2020
Skimming through this thread, it's looking like a no-buy on PC due to various issues, do I have that right?

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Was really expecting a day one patch. I guess it's tough luck for those of us that can't even get the game to launch.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if anybody is getting the same stutter as me, every few seconds, but I've figured out that it starts every time you load a new level. For me at least. For example, I cleared morning without any stuttering so I moved on to afternoon and then the stuttering started. So this time instead of grin & bearing it, when it loaded I quit to desktop. Booted the game back up again and voila, zero stuttering. Made my way through the afternoon. Moved on to evening. Stutter came back again. Restarted. Stutter gone. The game is messed up but at least there's temporary a fix for me, even if it's a massive pain in the arse. The game being installed on an SSD and removing the intro videos makes it quick to get back in.

FYI I'm running it on a Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb ram and a RTX 2060 Super at 1080p with everything on very high using the in-game vsync. Even sticks to 60fps with raytracing on using FSR.

Here's the stutter before and after a reboot. Both taken in the exact same place at the beginning of the level.

Xll0Y4i.gif
oys0dnT.gif

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
anyone else getting screen tearing on a gsync monitor? vsync fixes it but i have a gsync monitor damn it!

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Skimming through this thread, it's looking like a no-buy on PC due to various issues, do I have that right?
If you're targeting 60 fps and plan on using a controller, you're good for the most part. There's stuttering when use a mouse to pan the camera, so if you were expecting to play with kb+m, probably best to wait.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

i'm probably more positive on the game than most here, and even I would say don't get it. Microstutters and weird fps drops that aren't actual fps drops when turning.

Even Kotaku has an article about it

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
anyone else getting screen tearing on a gsync monitor? vsync fixes it but i have a gsync monitor damn it!
Not sure you realize this but enabling G-Sync without vsync does not actually remove tearing. They work in conjunction.

I'm just speaking generally though. This game is busted and it doesn't work properly with G-Sync (unless something changed in the last day). You should disable it and instead focus on getting a steady 60 or 120 FPS.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
anyone else getting stutters walking around in the first real mission? seems to be stuttering all over the place. im just about ready to refund this and get it on ps5.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
i'm probably more positive on the game than most here, and even I would say don't get it. Microstutters and weird fps drops that aren't actual fps drops when turning.

Even Kotaku has an article about it

Kotaku has an article about almost everything. :P
I have seen some German streamers having issues too.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
anyone else getting stutters walking around in the first real mission? seems to be stuttering all over the place. im just about ready to refund this and get it on ps5.
Try turning off v-synch and limiting the fps to 60 (or whatever your PC can handle. I did 60 cause it worked first try, haven't tried anything higher, personally).

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Try turning off v-synch and limiting the fps to 60 (or whatever your PC can handle. I did 60 cause it worked first try, haven't tried anything higher, personally).

ive done all of this. still stutters after a bit. im pretty much done and just going to get it on ps5 so its a more consistent experience. df says it runs perfectly fine in performance mode. 60fps locked all the time. id rather have that then these stutters and shit.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Man it's really sad and frustrating seeing all the PC issues. The game is fun as heck but I don't blame people backing out if they can't even properly play it
It's also really odd to read about so many issues when I'm playing on an 8 year old potato rig at 60 fps and no stuttering at all. Even with everything turned to low it looks fantastic.
I can't help but wonder if the stuttering is somehow related to more modern hardware? Otherwise have you guys considered just turning the settings down in the meantime until a patch is released? Does that even help those that are having issues?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
Man it's really sad and frustrating seeing all the PC issues. The game is fun as heck but I don't blame people backing out if they can't even properly play it
It's also really odd to read about so many issues when I'm playing on an 8 year old potato rig at 60 fps and no stuttering at all. Even with everything turned to low it looks fantastic.
I can't help but wonder if the stuttering is somehow related to more modern hardware? Otherwise have you guys considered just turning the settings down in the meantime until a patch is released? Does that even help those that are having issues?

I would be surprised if it has anything to do with HW, but all to do with Arkane having not released smooth PC port... ever? They seem to always release PC ports in rough technical state and then patch it up over next year.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
what are the odds steam gives me the refund after 2.1 hours? I thought i was below the 2 hour mark cause last time i checked it said 90 mins but when i put in the refund it said 2.1 hours. now i have to actually wait for them to process it and cant play the game until then lol.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
That is not unexpected. VRR is not a guarantee things won't tear, like V-Sync is.
That's why the general recommendation is to combine the two, but use a frame rate limiter to prevent the game fully switching over to v-sync behavior, to keep latency low.

Ironically, I used the original Dishonored for this, but here's an example of tearing (bottom 1/5) at 80 FPS on a 100Hz G-Sync monitor when V-Sync is disabled:
tearing-34qkqs.jpg

In the worst-case scenario, I've seen screen tearing as much as 25% below the maximum refresh rate with VRR when v-sync is disabled.
The only reason I'm comfortable not using v-sync at all with Deathloop is because it speeds up loading significantly, and 60 FPS at 120Hz is a large enough gap that it should never tear.
Otherwise, I would be forcing v-sync on via the NVIDIA Control Panel.

what are the odds steam gives me the refund after 2.1 hours? I thought i was below the 2 hour mark cause last time i checked it said 90 mins but when i put in the refund it said 2.1 hours. now i have to actually wait for them to process it and cant play the game until then lol.
It might have to go through a manual check, but I don't see why they would deny it for that.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure you realize this but enabling G-Sync without vsync does not actually remove tearing. They work in conjunction.

I'm just speaking generally though. This game is busted and it doesn't work properly with G-Sync (unless something changed in the last day). You should disable it and instead focus on getting a steady 60 or 120 FPS.

the whole purpose of gsync is to replace vsync and prevent screen tearing. The frame rate doesn't match the screen refresh rate causes tearing.

Unless this game has frame syncing issues that makes vrr mute???

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017

I've gotten refunds on games long past the two hour mark if I complained about something technical.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I would be surprised if it has anything to do with HW, but all to do with Arkane having not released smooth PC port... ever? They seem to always release PC ports in rough technical state and then patch it up over next year.
yeah seems so! I feel very fortunate to be able to play so far with no issues, definitely one of the lucky ones even if I technically don't even meet minimum reqs. Hope it gets sorted ASAP because people deserve to play this game as bug free as possible. It's so good.

Technosteve

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That is not unexpected. VRR is not a guarantee things won't tear, like V-Sync is.
That's why the general recommendation is to combine the two, but use a frame rate limiter to prevent the game fully switching over to v-sync behavior, to keep latency low.

Ironically, I used the original Dishonored for this, but here's an example of tearing (bottom 1/5) at 80 FPS on a 100Hz G-Sync monitor when V-Sync is disabled:
tearing-34qkqs.jpg

In the worst-case scenario, I've seen screen tearing as much as 25% below the maximum refresh rate with VRR when v-sync is disabled.
The only reason I'm comfortable not using v-sync at all with Deathloop is because it speeds up loading significantly, and 60 FPS at 120Hz is a large enough gap that it should never tear.
Otherwise, I would be forcing v-sync on via the NVIDIA Control Panel.

It might have to go through a manual check, but I don't see why they would deny it for that.

so i'm stuck at vsync and setting frame limiter to 59 frames? Because i can't hit 119 frames per second. Thats a bummer? Does the reflex stuff negate the input delay?

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
3 hours of playtime 2.6 of which have been troubleshooting :(

May have finally found a working solution that may help some YMMV, to at least make it run like the PlayStation version…no stutters anymore!

-Set monitor to 60hz (was using 120hz default)
-NVCP cap framerate to 60, vsync on

then in game

-off for Nvidia reflex, low latency, vsync, all off
-upscaling: fidelity fx
-AMD FSR mode: adaptive resolution
-adaptive resolution mode: performance
-FPS limiter 60

then in advanced settings, YMMV based in your GPU, use what dictator said in the threadmark.

Turn OFF raytracing even if u have a fancy GPU

Hope this helps.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
the whole purpose of gsync is to replace vsync and prevent screen tearing. The frame rate doesn't match the screen refresh rate causes tearing.
Unless this game has frame syncing issues that makes vrr mute???
The point of VRR is smoothness and low-latency. The removal of tearing is ancillary, and not a guarantee unless it is combined with v-sync.
I won't go into all the details here, but G-Sync originally required the use of V-Sync. When you enabled G-Sync, you couldn't disable V-Sync. So don't think that G-Sync replaces the need for V-Sync.

so i'm stuck at vsync and setting frame limiter to 59 frames? Because i can't hit 119 frames per second. Thats a bummer? Does the reflex stuff negate the input delay?
It's difficult to say, without details about your monitor.
If it's anything more than a 60Hz display, you shouldn't have to worry about latency if the game is being limited to 60 FPS.

The optimal setup for a VRR display in Deathloop is to:
  1. Disable in-game v-sync.
  2. Set the in-game frame rate limiter to 60 FPS (turning off v-sync is what enables the limiter).
  3. If you get screen tearing because your monitor's maximum refresh rate is not much higher than 60Hz, enable v-sync for the game via the NVIDIA Control Panel. This may mean longer load times, but guarantees no tearing.
Having V-Sync enabled with G-Sync will not add latency when the frame rate is below the maximum refresh rate of the display.

-Set monitor to 60hz (was using 120hz default)
-NVCP cap framerate to 60, vsync on
-FPS limiter 60
If it's working for you, stick with it I suppose, but these settings don't seem optimal.
  • If it's a 120Hz VRR (G-Sync) display, I recommend using the settings posted above.
  • If it's a fixed-refresh 120Hz display, enabling half-refresh v-sync in the game should be enough for smooth performance. It treats the display like 60Hz, without the hassle of actually switching it to 60Hz.
Combining multiple frame rate limiters - epecially 60 FPS limiters at 60Hz - seems like a recipe for introducing stuttering.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
The point of VRR is smoothness and low-latency. The removal of tearing is ancillary, and not a guarantee unless it is combined with v-sync.
I won't go into all the details here, but G-Sync originally required the use of V-Sync. When you enabled G-Sync, you couldn't disable V-Sync. So don't think that G-Sync replaces the need for V-Sync.

It's difficult to say, without details about your monitor.
If it's anything more than a 60Hz display, you shouldn't have to worry about latency if the game is being limited to 60 FPS.

The optimal setup for a VRR display in Deathloop is to:
  1. Disable in-game v-sync.
  2. Set the in-game frame rate limiter to 60 FPS (turning off v-sync is what enables the limiter).
  3. If you get screen tearing because your monitor's maximum refresh rate is not much higher than 60Hz, enable v-sync for the game via the NVIDIA Control Panel. This may mean longer load times, but guarantees no tearing.
Having V-Sync enabled with G-Sync will not add latency when the frame rate is below the maximum refresh rate of the display.

If it's working for you, stick with it I suppose, but these settings don't seem optimal.
  • If it's a 120Hz VRR (G-Sync) display, I recommend using the settings posted above.
  • If it's a fixed-refresh 120Hz display, enabling half-refresh v-sync in the game should be enough for smooth performance. It treats the display like 60Hz, without the hassle of actually switching it to 60Hz.
Combining multiple frame rate limiters - epecially 60 FPS limiters at 60Hz - seems like a recipe for introducing stuttering.

thanks for the tip about the half refresh rate, didn't know that. (it's a TV with no VRR). Weirdly though I was getting screen tearing when I had it set at 120 Hz but but the game's frame limiter to 60fps.

I have no idea why it's working but it is. You're right, going to stick with this setting!

Edit: forgot to mention, the in game vsync seems completely busted for me. If I turn it on it's a mess. Thankfully NVCP vsync works.

Edit 2: nope, NVCP half refresh doesnt work here, screen tearing, gonna go back to 60hz and fps cap.

Last edited:

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Got my refund and downloading it on ps5 right now. I'm done with arcane games on pc.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Got my refund and downloading it on ps5 right now. I'm done with arcane games on pc.

that was a good move. I wish I could get back the nearly 3 hours I wasted trying to optimize the PC settings. At least now it's near perfect.

I should've just paid the extra eight dollars for the PlayStation version. It's like paying someone to optimize it before purchase, that's well worth it.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Is AMD's FSR necessary for optimal performance? Can you run the game without it or is it recommended?

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

It's working really well on my six year old PC (No crashes, 60fps, though using resolution scaling and quite a few settings on low). I do play with a controller and some are talking about stuttering when using mouse/keyboard.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
Okay new problem that's consistent - anytime I open the trinkets section, to examine something it crashes without fail. Finally getting some residuum, making some real progress! But how do I fix this trinket crash...
Happened to me every time, steam discussions are full of this issue. I got my refund, waiting for a few patches before I try again…

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone getting weird shimmering vertical lines on everything that's dark? It's super ugly. No settings gets rid of them. It's like the film grain is messing up in dark areas. Hard to show because they don't show up in screenshots or video.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Only in performance mode which is capping the resolution to 1440p and is noticeably worse than native. If you turn it to quality mode, there are fps drops to 40 in the game.

I'm literally just looking for 1080p when I want 60fps or more.

Every.

Fucking.

Time.

Fuck this idea that 60fps needs to be native 4k. Or even 1440p which is just a PC monitor thing.

Developers, support discrete 1080p modes with all your sauce including some types of ray tracing when you can. Ignore the resolution maniacs. Thanks.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Only in performance mode which is capping the resolution to 1440p and is noticeably worse than native. If you turn it to quality mode, there are fps drops to 40 in the game.

Have you played it on PS5? .It's dynamic 4K but averages 1440p, and from my time with it the image quality and resolution is fine. In fact I wouldn't even know it was running at under 4K.

AA is looks flawless. Very clean looking game.
I have zero complaints and very happy how it runs.