• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018
Anyone else has super long load times? Unusually long for a modern game in a NMVE PC that is. Wonder if it's linked to some graphic setting, like it was to vsync in Fallout 4.

The monsieur from Digital Foundry mentioned that if you forced V-Sync from the nVidia Control Panel, it made the load times extremely long.

In my case it was that. Now it's not the fastest game in town, but it's way more reasonable. Maybe try that!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else has super long load times? Unusually long for a modern game in a NMVE PC that is. Wonder if it's linked to some graphic setting, like it was to vsync in Fallout 4.
NV control panel Vsync will increase load time, use the ingame one if you want.
The game has long loading regardless cause it does that connect to Bethesda.net, and all the animations everytime.

He is right about developers not listening to bug reports unless you have 'clout'.
I honestly believe RE8 only got fixed because Digital Foundry reported on it.
I'm thankful of course. But its a pretty crqp situation.
I think one of the issues in situation like this is that the devs could themselves find the problem if they just use a KB/M to test the game on PC.
Like surely you'd either notice it and go "that's not a problem" or you just never find out about it, which I'm not sure how it happens.

The issue isn't even toxic vocal groups, they don't need to be involved in forums and reporting process to know about it because websites end up covering it in news anyway. Infact we know for a fact that they were aware of Dishonored 2 issues as they have acknowledged it in the past, so you'd think they'd have it tested for their next game seeing as how you are suppose to learn from previous project and implement it in next.

I simply think it's a matter of not prioritising it, despite being aware of it. Which doesn't make sense because now they are prioritising it enough to make a hotfix.

Last edited:

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to wait till Gsync, VRR and the stuttering bugs are all fixed.
Plenty of other games to play.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
The issue isn't even toxic vocal groups, they don't need to be involved in forums and reporting process to know about it because websites end up covering it in news anyway. Infact we know for a fact that they were aware of Dishonored 2 issues as they have acknowledged it in the past, so you'd think they'd have it tested for their next game seeing as how you are suppose to learn from previous project and implement it in next.
It's more that it's a big issue to the consumer, but for the people making the game it's probably not a priority (which you said, I just want to try to paint a picture). I'd imagine the greatest concern for them is minimizing crashes, validating all the ways a user could complete an objective, and ensuring that save corruption never occurs. When that's the focus, then the developer probably goes "this feels weird, but it runs fine. We'll look into it later". But when a consumer gets the game, they care about how it feels right away. They probably didn't expect it to be such a priority issue for the end user because of their perspective, which is to ship a working product.

As a programmer myself, I'm familiar with how one's own priorities can shift pretty significantly from the end user. Those that don't code really have no way of knowing just how...pedantic of an experience it is. Some of the smallest things can feel like the biggest accomplishments, and that skews perspective heavily in favor of the largely invisible work that goes into this stuff. It makes it really easy to ignore the faults that are super obvious to others.

That's not to say that this issue is acceptable to me, it's just a means of explaining how it might have happened.

Saty

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe on top of giving Preview access to every damned journalist, they should get the build into the hands of prominent PC tech writers.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
God damn mid invasion crashes are the worst when it's a great match! I had all these beautiful turrets set up, killed Colt twice and was so close and BAM! That crash notice just comes up whenever it damn well pleases!

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
What are your specs??

10900KF on rog maximus XII, 32GB DDR4 4000 (4x8, not the best timings, 19-23-23-45) , 3090FE stock with ReBAR enabled and GPU Scheduling disabled.
Using a DS4 controller in bluetooth, wired keyboard, wired mouse (i alternate KB+M and controller).
I am running Windows 10 pro up to date, i tried both with my june nvidia drivers (before) and the latest ones since i wanted to correct the Ancel graphical glitch upon initial loading (the logo becomes a green barcode) but to no avail, it is a very dedicated machine, only the antivirus runs at the same time as the game.

I play single player, not network connected, no bethesda account.
I forgot, important, my gsync screen is 1440p.

Last edited:

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary honestly. The game loads fast for me.

Unless you're running everything on Ultra then I don't know if it affects loading because I haven't tested that yet

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god that video, even played small, makes me want to throw up.
Oh, sorry about that. Dishonored 2 was in a really bad state at launch, and I got bad motion sickness from playing it, too.

Yeah it's z-fighting same as Dishonored 2 on Nvidia that never got fixed
Huh. It's only a problem with NVIDIA?
Dishonored 2 was mostly fine until they patched the game to improve its performance.
I thought it was a result of them cutting back the draw distance. It's lower now than it was at launch, and there's no option to change that back.

It's supposed to be set to "Low" globally. Setting it to anything else globally will lead to compatibility issues with injection.
Sure, setting it to low globally should also work. I just meant that I'm using a profile for the game itself rather than enabling it globally.

I think one of the issues in situation like this is that the devs could themselves find the problem if they just use a KB/M to test the game on PC.
Like surely you'd either notice it and go "that's not a problem" or you just never find out about it, which I'm not sure how it happens.
I do agree that sometimes it feels like a developer hasn't even tested their keyboard & mouse implementation (which I'm sure is not true) or that they just don't know what the best-practices are when implementing it.
I could see the mouse issue in this game being overlooked by the kind of player that is either used to low-resolution mice (players that actually choose to set their mouse to 400 CPI) or players that use high sensitivity and snap their view around rather than turning smoothly.
It's only that third type of player that would be affected by this in a major way - which is why I believe there were many reports of "it's fine here."

I believe it's the same reason that many people don't see a problem with high frame rates in-between 60–120 FPS.
If you just aren't used to the kind of smoothness that provides under ideal conditions, maybe you don't notice it here.
You do still get better motion clarity and responsiveness at higher frame rates in Deathloop and Dishonored 2; it just doesn't look as smooth as it should (and is unplayable to me, due to motion sickness).

Loading times are linked to frame rate.
And the post-launch patch/beta patches have also been forcing v-sync on during loading screens, rather than disabling it like the launch version of the game did.
In the public beta, I'm seeing:
  • V-Sync ON at 60Hz: 60 FPS during loading - 90 seconds
  • V-Sync ON at 120Hz: 120 FPS during loading - 60 seconds
  • V-Sync OFF at any Hz: 400+ FPS during loading - 40 seconds
Even in the best-case, it's still relatively slow to get into the game, and those times will vary depending on the map and your hardware specs, but I am curious to see how they compare to PS5.
I expect this is one area that Denuvo actually does play a role - at least when the frame rate is unlocked.
And I wish there was a way to skip the intros/Bethesda.net prompts every time the game starts (I know you can delete the intro movies though).

He is right about developers not listening to bug reports unless you have 'clout'.
I honestly believe RE8 only got fixed because Digital Foundry reported on it.
I'm thankful of course. But its a pretty crqp situation.
Absolutely.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm now getting massive pausing/hitching when loading the game to the main menu. It keeps pausing every 2 seconds or so while loading into the menus. Even after loading the main menu I can't move my mouse due to the constant pausing every 2 seconds.

anyone else experiencing this?

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
So this game is supposed to have HDR but I have not found the setting in the menus. Or is it one of those shitty I have to turn on windows HDR and then launch the game things?

Game runs an average okay with my 3090, I get around 80-100 fps on ultra/very high 4K. Guess I need to mess around more with the settings.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
So this game is supposed to have HDR but I have not found the setting in the menus. Or is it one of those shitty I have to turn on windows HDR and then launch the game things?

Game runs an average okay with my 3090, I get around 80-100 fps on ultra/very high 4K. Guess I need to mess around more with the settings.

u have to turn on hdr in windows

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I really want to get this game but this whole thread doesn't fill me with confidence...

Last edited:

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
5800x
3060Ti
64gb
Installed on we sn850

I have had zero of the problems in this thread. Basically no loading, no crashes and no stuttering. My first new game purchase on my new PC, so I guess I got lucky.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The monsieur from Digital Foundry mentioned that if you forced V-Sync from the nVidia Control Panel, it made the load times extremely long.

In my case it was that. Now it's not the fastest game in town, but it's way more reasonable. Maybe try that!
I read that this doesn't help the load times if you're using the beta hotfix.

The reason this works in the first place is because load times are directly tied to the game's framerate. If vsync is controlled by the game, the developers are able to disable vsync during loading screens which allows the game to load as fast as possible. If you're forcing vsync at the driver level, there's no way for the game to disable vsync, and the load times are longer as a result.

I saw a few people in this thread mention that the hotfix no longer disables vsync during load screens. Haven't tested it myself yet.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017

The reason this works in the first place is because load times are directly tied to the game's framerate. If vsync is controlled by the game, the developers are able to disable vsync during loading screens which allows the game to load as fast as possible. If you're forcing vsync at the driver level, there's no way for the game to disable vsync, and the load times are longer as a result.

I saw a few people in this thread mention that the hotfix no longer disables vsync during load screens. Haven't tested it myself yet.
mmmmm, haven't found a difference in loading speed with the hotfix and I cap my fps to 60.
I have to check if the framerate changes during the loading screens or not.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
Thanks for all the answers, I'll try vsync off.

I experienced freezes of several seconds during gameplay when entering districts, but these were gone the moment I switched to Full screen mode. It may be a coincidence, but between that and the beta patch, the game is much more enjoyable and stable.

To those with crashes, I had the same until I closed MSI afterburner and resetting my GPU clocks to default. Not a single crash after that.

I'm finally in a state where I can enjoy the game without big technical issues and... It's great.

Ryszard

Apr 7, 2018

Didn't know that. Thank you, quite useful to understand the loading issue.

tandeciarz

Apr 21, 2020
Oh, sorry about that. Dishonored 2 was in a really bad state at launch, and I got bad motion sickness from playing it, too.

Huh. It's only a problem with NVIDIA?
Dishonored 2 was mostly fine until they patched the game to improve its performance.
I thought it was a result of them cutting back the draw distance. It's lower now than it was at launch, and there's no option to change that back.

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
The beta branch did not change the stuttering on my end. Samsung G9 5120x1440@240 hz. Playing the game at 2560x1440 with an i7-9700k and an RTX 2080 Super at 80 to 100 fps.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
After grabbing the beta patch, I got settings I think I'm pretty happy with on a 2080, i7 8700K, 32GB RAM at 1440p:

(Nvidia CP set to 16AF and V-sync on since I have G-Sync)

- Fullscreen
- Nvidia Reflex on
- Low latency on
- In-game V-sync off
- Upscaling on
- Adaptive resolution enabled
- Manual fps target at 60
- Adaptive resolution set to balanced
- Fps limited to 60

- Very high graphics preset
- All raytracing off
Alternatively, the high preset then textures and water on very high

I can't keep RT on, the performance hit is too much even with FSR set to performance mode.
I'm still in the tutorial so I've been testing in the second zone. Mainly the open area full of NPCs you come across right after leaving the safe room as that is where I'm seeing the biggest drops right now. This game will still "stutter" for me if it's not locked to 60, otherwise it runs perfectly fine.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The beta branch did not change the stuttering on my end. Samsung G9 5120x1440@240 hz. Playing the game at 2560x1440 with an i7-9700k and an RTX 2080 Super at 80 to 100 fps.
It only addresses the mouse input. It doesn't change the fact that the game needs to run at a locked 60 or 120 FPS to be smooth.
Either cap it to 60 using the internal limiter, or use 1/4 refresh v-sync via NVIDIA Profile Inspector if that is not smooth on your display.

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, and vsync is disabled for the waking up on the beach cutscene and all of the animated visionary ones too. I was using external vsync but I went back to using the ingame one because of the added 30+ seconds of loading each time.

Kattlauv

Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Eh, what the fuck. The beta fixed everything for me. Or, just played through one level at afternoon. Not playing with mouse and keyboard either, so that's not it for me.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
I'm not going to lie, I've been playing this on a 3080/5800x with a controller and have run into ZERO issues. No crashes, no stuttering, no problems whatsoever. Wish more were experiencing the game like this because once it gets its hooks in you, it becomes an extremely addictive game.

Me too. I'm starting to feel extremely lucky or something. Every game that has a thread of people complaining about problems, and I'm all, what problems??

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Does anyone actually know where to submit bug reports for the game. Bethesda shut their forums down, and I couldn't find an option in the game itself to submit a report.

The game crashing when trying to change weapon trinkets is a strange bug to let through. It's such a common action that you'd think the QA testers would've encountered it, but to ship the game knowing it's there would be even more damning. Swapping trinkets is not some obscure thing that a minority of players would happen to do, so if Arkane knew of this particular crash, they released the game knowing it was going to crash for a huge number of people. They really should've delayed the game for another two weeks or something.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Put 6 hours into the game so far, such a fun time going through and finding all these new paths, despite the levels being the same general design throughout all 4 time periods it feels like a new level each time.
Feels more like prey than dishonored and I'm so glad cause I enjoyed prey a lot more than dishonored lol.
Have only crashed once but the framerate is unstable, running with a 3080/5800x and sometimes it goes down to the 50s then shoots up to 110. Not unplayable thanks to VRR mind but definitely noticeable thanks to the mouse polling rate bug.

Oct 28, 2017
After grabbing the beta patch, I got settings I think I'm pretty happy with on a 2080, i7 8700K, 32GB RAM at 1440p:

(Nvidia CP set to 16AF and V-sync on since I have G-Sync)

- Fullscreen
- Nvidia Reflex on
- Low latency on
- In-game V-sync off
- Upscaling on
- Adaptive resolution enabled
- Manual fps target at 60
- Adaptive resolution set to balanced
- Fps limited to 60

- Very high graphics preset
- All raytracing off
Alternatively, the high preset then textures and water on very high

I can't keep RT on, the performance hit is too much even with FSR set to performance mode.
I'm still in the tutorial so I've been testing in the second zone. Mainly the open area full of NPCs you come across right after leaving the safe room as that is where I'm seeing the biggest drops right now. This game will still "stutter" for me if it's not locked to 60, otherwise it runs perfectly fine.
Same settings that worked for me. I was so frustrated with the game until I got a steady image. Can't stop playing now! Love it.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone else keep running into problems where loading a new level frequently runs like crap?
Sometimes, doing things like toggling v-sync will fix it, but other times I have to completely quit and restart the game.

Same location, before a restart:
bad-performance_ackn8.jpg

And after a restart:
after-restarting_mfjsc.jpg

It still looks absolutely terrible even when it's working "correctly" and running at 60, though.
That's with everything set to low, except for texture resolution, and RTAO rather than CACAO Performance.
Disabling RTAO doesn't seem to make much difference to performance in most locations anyway (but does look a lot better).

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Me too. I'm starting to feel extremely lucky or something. Every game that has a thread of people complaining about problems, and I'm all, what problems??

Story of my life. I haven't tried Deathloop though since there are lots of other games to play at the moment and in the very near future. I'm hoping they'll have ironed out the VRR issue by the time I want to play it.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Hm, game runs ok at times then randomly gets some pretty wild drops. I would think my machine would be just fine. Using a 3070, 3900X, 32GB RAM, and it's installed on an NVMe drive, and I'm only playing at 1080p with it locked to 60fps over Nvidia Control Panel too.. Trying the settings Alex from DF posted as well. Kind of odd?

Game runs fine then it'll just dip. I was going through the urban area with Colt's apartment and it dropped to 15fps at one point while I was moving quickly.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I think I know what their fix is, for this patch.
The mouse movement now feels perfect, however for some reason the objects in the game world still feel like they judder while I'm panning the camera even if I'm running at 80FPS or so....just as they did before, except now the controls feel smooth.

Given that I think their fix has basically been somehow making the mouse input decoupled from the framerate/refresh rate of the game (sort of like how asynchronous reprojection works in VR where despite what framerate your game is running at, your head movement is always the native refresh rate). It certainly makes the game feel immensely more playable, but that's only one half of the issue. The other half is the visual discomfort from the judder that you may have, that said if you are used to playing at 60FPS and lock the game at that then now you should basically have no issues.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
Anyone else finding stutter at frame rates above 60fps+?

Even if it can hold anywhere between 80-100 at lower res and combined with Gsync, the stutter is always there. At 60, it's smooth.

Peaty Condor

Banned
Nov 13, 2020
Does anyone else keep running into problems where loading a new level frequently runs like crap?
Sometimes, doing things like toggling v-sync will fix it, but other times I have to completely quit and restart the game.

And after a restart:

It still looks absolutely terrible even when it's working "correctly" and running at 60, though.
That's with everything set to low, except for texture resolution, and RTAO rather than CACAO Performance.
Disabling RTAO doesn't seem to make much difference to performance in most locations anyway (but does look a lot better).

Yes. Doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time but definitely after some of the transfers (the first time going from Updaam to the Complex, and on the first return to Updaam as well). Haven't been playing with Afterburner on but I watched my montior's FPS counter and could see the frametime spikes happening and the framerate dropping 15-25 FPS every few seconds as I was just standing there not moving, staring at walls.

I've just been quitting the game after each level to avoid it. This port is shit.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
I really want to get this game but this whole thread doesn't feel me with confidence...
This is an incredible typo and it gave me a hearty laugh.

As of this last hotfix, if you're okay with capping to 60 it's fine on PC now.
I have to disagree here :) Our teams absolutely look at bug reports and actively work on them
To clarify, I was mostly referring to AAA. Indie/AA devs by and large take user feedback way more seriously in my experience (which makes sense with a smaller user base).

As an example, I filed a bug report for the Kingdoms of Amalur remaster and they actually responded over email a month later saying that they were working on a fix and actually did fix it (if anyone cares, it was about, what I suspected to be, broken occlusion culling causing insane CPU bottlenecking. You could choke the framerate hard by entering a dungeon and staring at a wall where, if no walls were there, the rest of the dungeon would be in view).

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018

And after a restart:

Thats what i said. Every new level u start it stutters. First run is smooth. I noticed that one of my CPU Cores gets a 100% usage after this (while the rest is below 40%). I have to restart after every new level starts.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else finding stutter at frame rates above 60fps+?

Even if it can hold anywhere between 80-100 at lower res and combined with Gsync, the stutter is always there. At 60, it's smooth.
The whole thread has been about this issue heh.
Along with a mouse input issue making the stuttering feel worse (this has been fixed in the beta patch).

Currently the most optimal way to play this is by locking the game to 60 using ingame frame limiter, vsync off in game and in control panel (or set to "use 3D application settings"), and having the beta patch installed. Or if you have a powerful rig then turn off both RT settings, and turn down some of the other settings to target 120FPS and play at that.