• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
I didn't see in the op but does the article have the concrete hardware numbers for the year for each console/has anyone calculated that?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But Octopath isn't on there. Other titles I expected included: Diablo 3, Crash Bandicoot, Monster Hunter,

DxjX-IaVYAAOxb0.jpg:large

Why did you expect them? Any of those games being there is the unlikely scenario, so expecting it seems counterintuitive.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
But Octopath isn't on there. Other titles I expected included: Diablo 3, Crash Bandicoot, Monster Hunter,

Yes, and all the third party titles you talked about (not Octopath) were late or really late ports that already sold lots on other consoles.
I don't even want to talk about Capcom's shitty strategy for MonHun on Switch (which is a late 3DS port).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch will be no.1 in 2019 and 2020 too I think. Nintendo should have a nice run here as the no.1 selling game platform.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
The greatest videogame publisher of all time takes the year.

I honestly don't think they can keep the momentum but that depends on software they haven't showcased or even announced.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

All those games (Octopath, Diablo, etc.) probably did see a nice increase for December though. It's just the Nintendo staples are what they are. Also Pokemon effectively eats up two spots even though it's really just one game.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo: Doomed since 1889.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Anyway, congrats to the Switch, I picked it up from Facebook Marketplace in December and I have been having a shit-ton of fun playing games like Smash and Hollow Knight. It's a fantastic device and I cannot WAIT for 2019 Ultimate Alliance 3, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime Trilogy (hopefully), new Zelda?, LET'S GO
Smash's performance is also crazy, outgaining Spider-Man and God of War in dollar sales for the YEAR on its way to becoming the best-selling first month exclusive in NPD history
Speaking of Spidey and God of War, crazy that they are #3 and #4 best selling on PS4 ahead of giants like NBA2K and Madden, hope they go on to sell millions of millions of units

Glad that Spidey>Bats in the US, he is the better superhero of course :)
Capgod killing it and Queen Cassandra slaying is a great way to close out the Top 10

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is already one of he most embarrassing NPD threads I've ever read.

It had the highest unit sales of any platform since 2010. I'll let you into a secret PS4 wasn't out then. It has nothing to do with console lifecycle, it's a product that people like and enjoy playing games on.

It's great for the industry that Nintendo is doing well. 2018 sales are hitting a high for the last decade, this is also great for Sony and Microsoft who are gearing up to announce their next gen consoles.

We should all be celebrating instead of this embarrassing downplaying of the numbers.

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
"Nintendo Switch generated the highest December-month hardware dollar sales for a single platform since the Nintendo Wii in December 2009," NPD analyst Mat Piscatella said.

Wow, that's really impressive. What a December

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch basically sold even to the PS4 in its 2nd full year in the US, so the whole "well it's only selling better than the PS4 because its old" ... well, its also matching PS4 sales at the same point in the PS4's life cycle as well.

So if you're "not impressed" by this, then I guess you weren't impressed by the PS4 at that same point in its life cycle either.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Smash outsold both GoW and Spiderman without digital in a single month?

I said damn

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah he go to crapped on on Twitter because Switch didn't sell 2 million, that was the straw that broke the camel's back seemingly. Thankfully no one here was directly to blame but really hand on heart we are no better as a community and I don't begrudge his decision for a second as a result, especially as he cited his health as reason for leaving, none of this is worth that obviously.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine a world where Rare keep doing games for Nintendo.

We would have Banjo, Conker, Killer Instinct, Battletoads and Perfect Dark characters for Smash.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A few thoughts:

• Mario Kart 8 is now the 2nd best selling racing game of all time, after having famously been predicted to be the lowest selling game in the series.
  • Donkey Kong above Kirby, and know Kirby Star Allies was the best selling game in the series in the US, makes me REALLY happy that Tropical Freeze got its second life on the Switch.
  • Regarding Smash, I say DAAAAAAMMMMMNNNN
  • Super Mario Party was the secret Dark Horse of 2018.
  • Surprised no Octopath given it was July's best selling game.
  • Keep on climbing, Link.

Zelda1-800x400.jpg

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But the list from Matt is Best Selling Games of 2018 on Switch, not just December.

To be expected then. Octopath would be the only one I'd expect in the top 10, and it might be 11, which basically is no.10 because Pokemon eats up two spots. Diablo III is like 5 years old too, it's nice they ported it but lets be somewhat realistic on that. I suspect that game is selling pretty well though.

Octopath likely also got pushed out by DKC and Kirby because DKC and Kirby simply had more time to sell as both launched earlier.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017

I would imagine Kirby is somewhere well north of 500k considering it had the series best launch ever and it came out in March.

Diablo 3 came out in November and is an old port, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy came out in June and is an old port of a remaster that came out at a reduced price... that chart is by $ value, and Monster Hunter is a port of a 3DS game that came out after Monster Hunter World. Why would any of those chart above Kirby?

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
2009 was a crazy magical year. The Wii had New Super Mario Bros Wii, Wii Sports Resort, and Wii Fit Plus released that year, and evergreen titles like Mario Kart Wii and Super Mario Galaxy were still around. The PS3 and 360 did well too, with hits like COD Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, Uncharted 2, and Halo 3 ODST driving sales.

Will the U.S. videogame market ever surpass the highs of 2009? Eventually, I guess, but if 2018 couldn't get it done, we'll probably have to wait another generation.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Spectacular result for Nintendo and the industry overall.

As was the case last year, my continued hope for 2019 is that Nintendo does not rests on its laurels and dollars. Rather, it strives to keep building on the great success of the Switch with focus and investment towards the consumers that either have embraced or are willing to embrace the platform.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a shrewd example of this initiative that surprised many, myself included. Hopefully they push even further in their efforts going forward, as securing as much software as possible is clearly the most important key for the Switch platform at this point. Thankfully the tremendous support by and for great indie developers is an incredible boon thus far.

Oct 27, 2017
No one claimed it, I asked around, no one was volunteering so I chipped in lol. I already reported the title to request a change however!

I updated the title, but you're going to want to make your OP a bit less hyperbolic and Nintendo-focused (Nintendo Switch IS on the charts, for instance, that is the subject of the thread, sales being charted!) When creating threads like this we have quite a bit of responsibility to the community.

You will also want to collect industry PR quotes from the proper sources at Nintendo, Playstation, and Xbox and place them in as they become available. I'm sure people will be willing to help round out the OP as more info comes in.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine Kirby is somewhere well north of 500k considering it had the series best launch ever and it came out in March.

Diablo 3 came out in November and is an old port, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy came out in June and is an old port of a remaster that came out at a reduced price... that chart is by $ value, and Monster Hunter is a port of a 3DS game that came out after Monster Hunter World. Why would any of those chart above Kirby?
Kirby is definitely closer to a million than to 500k

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I updated the title, but you're going to want to make your OP a bit less hyperbolic and Nintendo-focused (Nintendo Switch IS on the charts, for instance, that is the subject of the thread, sales being charted!) When creating threads like this we have quite a bit of responsibility to the community.

You will also want to collect industry PR quotes from the proper sources at Nintendo, Playstation, and Xbox and place them in as they become available. I'm sure people will be willing to help round out the OP as more info comes in.

It's a copy-paste from venturebeat's article. He should probably have made that clear.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR

That's not the first NPD thread that PT creates, I'm sure he's aware of that.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Do we know roughly the ratio of physical/digital sales for Nintendo platforms? It should be relatively simple to figure out by comparing physical sales to Nintendo's own sales figures, but I don't know where to find that data.

It'd be good for estimating the true sales figures for a lot of these games.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
Great December for Nintendo. Nintendo games taking a lot of the pie too. Hopefully third parties have mobilized a bit more for 2019, late ports can not even begin to compete.