• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yea, from these numbers and what Benji is saying, we're at the end of the gen. Next gen in 2020 (maybe this year?) can't come soon enough,.

Anyone have numbers from the PS3's and 360's fifth December to compare?

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Xbox One had a pretty great year

2019 though is gonna be really bad if you comp to this year for both PS4 and Xbox One

Welcome to the beginning of the end

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Will we see the Xbox and PS4 dropped in price permanently soon ? Could we see $150 for the Xbox ? It's the only way I see them keep up some decent sales this year.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Remember Switch had the best December this generation without a single price drop.

We expected over 2M but also remember a traditional December week in Cyber Monday was in November's tracking because this was a 53 week year. The 5th December week this month was basically January week 1 any other year.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
Not really good numbers. 2019 will be worse tho for sure. Things wont get better until the new line of consoles are announced and released

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea, from these numbers and what Benji is saying, we're at the end of the gen. Next gen in 2020 (maybe this year?) can't come soon enough,.

Anyone have numbers from the PS3's and 360's fifth December to compare?

It's actually the sixth december considering launch year was 2013.

The sixth december of Xbox 360 was in 2010 and was huge due to Kinect, sold more than 1.8m. PS3 in december 2011 sold more than Xbox One now, but less than 1 million too.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 and Xbox One permanent price drops need to happen

And really soon.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Eh why are you overreacting to PS4 numbers? There were no deals for it, while the Xbox One had quite a few deals. With what you shared, it looks like the Xbox One had much more selling power over the PS4 last holiday.

I mean you even said PS4 sales could be as low as 700k IIRC, so I dont understand the shock

Also let's not forget that the PS4 is about to reach 100 millions.
It's not going to keep selling forever...

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
It's actually the sixth december considering launch year was 2013.

The 6th december of Xbox 360 was in 2010 and was huge due to Kinect, sold more than 1.8m. PS3 in december 2011 sold more than Xbox One now, but less than 1 million too.

Thanks. The consoles being a year apart threw me a bit; didn't know quite how to phrase that.

Also, wow at the Xbox number. I forget Kinect sold fairly well.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Because it's still terrible?

I expected it to be terrible, and that's what happened. I'm not shocked at all, more just it's crazy to see

But it wasn't as bad as Xbox given its msrp.

The thing is there were no deals for the PS4, just PSVR. And the MSRP of the PS4 hasnt changed in years so there was going to be a decline in a month like December its sixth holiday. The Xbox One´s performance should be a much bigger shocker
Yeah Xbox being so low at its price is pretty bad. I doubt PS4 would be under 1.5M if it was $199 all month.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox One was up YOY, unfortunately it falls behind 2014's 4370K

PS4 down an impressive -2% YOY. All thanks to the January - October period.

These 2 are in for dire 2019 sales. Just be prepared for that.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One was up YOY, unfortunately it falls behind 2014's 4370K

PS4 down an impressive -2% YOY. All thanks to the January - October period.

These 2 are in for dire 2019 sales. Just be prepared for that.

Yeah this is important

The overall year of 2018 was outstanding (thanks Fortnite)

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
PS4 and Xbox One permanent price drops need to happen

And really soon.
How do you feel the current H1 lineup is going to affect their sales?

Anthem, Sekiro, Kingdom Hearts 3, RE2R, DMCV, Crackdown 3, Metro, Days Gone

They all serve an audience that already has existed on those platforms for years. I don't believe they will have that much of an impact these days

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
Like a shot in the arm. Nice to know the sales.

But oh boy this will be a good thread to read tomorrow concerning the switch.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Not really surprised by the number other than switch being that strong. Going into the holiday season added a bunch of coal to the Nintendo engine.
Microsoft usually does well during the holidays since their deals go from black Friday to January where as Sony blows its wad with one super deal during black Friday. Other than Spiderman the bundles were mediocre anyway. With game pass Microsoft is in a hard spot to create appetizing bundles. They've also done a poor job advertising the service to the general public. It's a good deal and should be a big selling point but most people have no idea what it is.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They all serve an audience that already has existed on those platforms for years. I don't believe they will have that much of an impact these days

I don't see any of those pushing hardware. We are too late in the generation

We have no "Fortnite effect" for 2019. People still dont get how much hardware that pushed this year.

Without permanent price drops I think double digit % drops are gonna happen for PS4 and Xbox One nearly every month of the year

Rowsdower

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Well that answered my question as well. Thanks for all you do Benji.

Thanks as well NateDrake.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

Benji

Do you see RE2 or KH3 providing an uptick for this Jan? Or things looking bad?
Only release I can see having some impact on hardware (in a minor way) will be Kingdom Hearts 3. The rest caters to the existing base.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only game on the horizon I think has real legit console selling power is The Last of Us 2

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's too hopeful for a $100 price drop on the PS4. I can see Sony doing a $50 drop to get interest up without breaking the bank, but the PS4 is nowhere near impulse buy price atm. With the PS5 so close you would think it would be a good idea to keep momentum up until release.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
As always thanks to Magicpork and Benji for their insight on this thread. It's always appreciated.

I am personally super curious to see Sony strategy for this year. The PS4 is finally reaching it's twilight years, so I dunno what Sony is gonna do about it. Obviously, a price drop this year seems imminent, but if the PS5 is 2020, would that be enough to keep the PS4 competitive for another whole year? and the Switch is probably about to hit it's best year.

Or do they go ahead and launch the PS5 this year?

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 sold poorly due to the lack of deals. I don't think 2019 will be that bad for the system.

Xbox One in the other hand needs desperately of a price drop.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
Q4 Comparison

PS4: 2.95M
XB1: 2.86M

PS4: 2.62M (-11%)
XB1: 2.47M (-14%)

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm confused why people seem so doom and gloom about Switch. Isn't that one of the highest months of the generation?

Also, we have have any idea yet of Smash numbers?