• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
I'm confused why people seem so doom and gloom about Switch. Isn't that one of the highest months of the generation?

Also, we have have any idea yet of Smash numbers?
Probably not reaching 20 million shipments Nintendo projected for the year. It's become a sign of "if it can't reach that it's a failed system".

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
PS4 2015 November + December (Peak holiday this gen): 3.12M

Switch 2018 November + December: 3.13M

We have a new peak holiday this gen!

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused why people seem so doom and gloom about Switch. Isn't that one of the highest months of the generation?

It's the highest December this gen. Amazing result

People started getting themselves over hyped and projecting stuff way over 2 million. Theres a reason I kept trying to bring that number down to 2 (and even then I was a tad high)

It's hard for a $299 console to break that 2+ barrier

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
PS4 sold poorly due to the lack of deals. I don't think 2019 will be that bad for the system.

Xbox One in the other hand needs desperately of a price drop.

You are pretty much right. The Xbox One has been available at $249 may times throughout the last couple of years while the PS4 has hit that price outside the holidays nowhere near as much. If Sony drops the PS4 $50 it should have a healthy impact, not sure if it will have much impact at all for Xbox.

Im just saying the selling power between the two is noticeably different. If you guys think the PS4´s 2019 will be a trainwreck due to it selling less this year, then the Xbox One´s sales this year will look like a plane crashing into a train wreck.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
It's the highest December this gen. Amazing result

People started getting themselves over hyped and projecting stuff way over 2 million. Theres a reason I kept trying to bring that number down to 2 (and even then I was a tad high)

It's hard for a $299 console to break that 2+ barrier

Awesome, good to know.

I appreciate your insight in these threads, by the way!

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are pretty much right. The Xbox One has been available at $249 may times throughout the last couple of years while the PS4 has hit that price outside the holidays nowhere near as much. If Sony drops the PS4 $50 it should have a healthy impact, not sure if it will have much impact at all for Xbox.

Im just saying the selling power between the two is noticeably different. If you guys think the PS4´s 2019 will be a trainwreck due to it selling less this year, then the Xbox One´s sales this year will look like a plane crashing into a train wreck.

I think both Xbox One and PS4 are gonna have a relatively strong collapse this year yeah

November / December were really telling

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Where do you see doom and gloom for Switch in this thread? Unless there are posts I am not seeing... (from people on my ignore list, surprise surprise)

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Do we have any indication that Smash didn't perform as well as expected, or is that still looking strong?

Oct 25, 2017
This-Is-Where-Id-Put-My-Trophy-If-I-Had-One.jpg

This is where I put my ERA Meltdown.

IF I HAD ONE.

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
Where do you see doom and gloom for Switch in this thread? Unless there are posts I am not seeing... (from people on my ignore list, surprise surprise)
Investors are captivated or gloomy about Nintendo shipping 20 million consoles this fiscal year end. Selling less than 2 million in December in the US makes that 20m look much harder to reach.

Not that it actually matters. Nintendo already confirmed that they cancelled the Switch and the next Animal Crossing is Amiibo Festival 2 for iOS. It'll make Nintendo money and that's what's important after all.

Deader2818

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Nov having cyber Monday and call of duty releasing in Oct skewed numbers out of December this year most likely for xb1 and ps4.

A game like RDR2 releasing in Oct likely helped that as well.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

Maybe "doom and gloom" was too strong of a phrase. Just general disappointment for Switch sales. Most people do still tend to acknowledge that Switch had a very good month.

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to know. I wasn't sure if it was something actually attainable or a pipe dream from the outset. Thanks for the info!

It was at start, but sales in the first half of the fiscal year made more difficult to happen. Only a huge Q3 could put Switch on track to 20m again and apparently sales weren't good enough.

Despite that will be a great year for the system, but Nintendo is responsible for creating a negative headline when they revise the forecast or didn't achieve the target.

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017

PS4: 2.74M
XB1: 2.73M

PS4: 2.28M (-17%)
XB1: 2.26M (-17%)

January to October 2017

PS4: 2.72M
XB1: 1.56M

January to October 2018

PS4: 3.05M (+12%)
XB1: 2.08M (+33%)

YTD 2017

PS4: 5.46M
XB1: 4.29M

YTD 2018

PS4: 5.33M (-2%)
XB1: 4.34M (+1%)

Last edited:

Deadpixel1229

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 17, 2019
It was at start, but sales in the first half of the fiscal year made more difficult to happen. Only a huge Q3 could put Switch on track to 20m again and apparently sales weren't good enough.

Despite that, will be a great year for the system, but Nintendo is responsible for creating a negative headline when they revise the forecast or didn't achieve the target.

You're really jumping the gun there chief. We'll see what the shipped numbers are World Wide later. In the meantime chill out.

Kodama4

Oct 25, 2017
PS4 sold poorly due to the lack of deals. I don't think 2019 will be that bad for the system.

Xbox One in the other hand needs desperately of a price drop.

Pretty much how I see it also

NSW - biggest game release managed a modest increase in sales

XB1 - had strong deals and offers,natural decline in sales due to entering 6th year

This concern for a 6 year console is misplaced, it's naturally going to decline in sales. This year will be no different using words like 'dire' I feel are a bit much

allan-bh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're really jumping the gun there chief. We'll see what the shipped numbers are World Wide later. In the meantime chill out.

I'm calling since Q1 that Nintendo would miss the target.

Unless it really overpeformed in Europe and others, it's just common sense. Japan and US numbers didn't indicate enough sales for such a big target.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe "doom and gloom" was too strong of a phrase. Just general disappointment for Switch sales. Most people do still tend to acknowledge that Switch had a very good month.
Ah ok, it's just that some people overhyped themselves for Switch numbers, expecting 2 million as a bare minimum. So when someone expects certain numbers and they are not reached, they are disappointed, even though objectively Switch numbers are still the best December numbers this generation, and even though this number made Switch the best selling console in 2018...

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I think both Xbox One and PS4 are gonna have a relatively strong collapse this year yeah

November / December were really telling

Between the PS4 and Xbox One, the only one that will hit a decline that can be called a ¨collapse¨ is Xbox.

What December showed is that Sony sold about 800k PS4s at standard MSRP, while the Xbox One family of consoles sold not much more with reduced prices all month. Its a pretty telling sign really.

Sony can just drop the price $50 and do some bundles for Days Gone and Dreams and it should save the decline from being too big. Not sure what Xbox can do since Xbox is nearly always on sale for $50 less and I doubt we´ll be seeing a $100 price drop for it before Q4 this year

klanar

Jun 9, 2018
Looks like a 33% increase for Q3 compared to last year for switch?

2017 Q3: ~2550k ???
2018 Q3: ~ 3400k ???

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between the PS4 and Xbox One, the only one that will hit a decline that can be called a ¨collapse¨ is Xbox.

What December showed is that Sony sold about 800k PS4s at standard MSRP, while the Xbox One family of consoles sold not much more with reduced prices all month. Its a pretty telling sign really.

Sony can just drop the price $50 and do some bundles for Days Gone and Dreams and it should save the decline from being too big. Not sure what Xbox can do since Xbox is nearly always on sale for $50 less and I doubt we´ll be seeing a $100 price drop for it before Q4 this year

You are really over estimating how well PS4 and Xbox One are going to be selling in January - October

It will be double digit declines for both

Welfare

Oct 26, 2017
I think the 2M Switch expectation shows it has legitimate interest, and that was only at $299 and still almost hit it. Probably would be a different story if this were a 52 week year.

Next year is probably when we see it happen. I fully expect it to be at $249 by then, like I was expecting to happen this holiday.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much how I see it also

NSW - biggest game release managed a modest increase in sales

XB1 - had strong deals and offers,natural decline in sales due to entering 6th year

This concern for a 6 year console is misplaced, it's naturally going to decline in sales. This year will be no different using words like 'dire' I feel are a bit much
I love how the biggest December this generation is played down into "a modest increase in sales", especially given that Cyber Monday which is huge for Nintendo was not part of this December (but was part of last one...).