• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Anything worthwhile on today's Dragon Gate besides the PAC/Eita vs. Flamita/Bandido match?

Still dipping my toes into the water at this point

The one positive to Bandido signing is maybe he can stop changing his entrance theme for once

They did "Tequila" last time in AAW too......not a fan. Bandido was coming out to Lindsey Stirling or whatever in PWG, do that duuude

EDIT: Ohhhh it's PAC/Daga, dope

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE DIVES

SPRINGBOARD BACKSPRING SASUKE SPECIAL OR SOME SHIT I DONT EVEN KNOW

and then flamita is dropped on his neck ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I forgot to nominate this gif :/

Los Ingobernables vs L.A. Park was really FnP.

Shuji Kondo vs Mochizuki at the January Korakuen!! First time Kondo's been in a DG ring since he left in 2004, crazy!

Also, Flamita & Bandido vs PAC & DAGA was, as expected, pretty damn FnP. Check it out when you get the time, friends, and are done ranting about RAW :p

How is Daga doing in DG?

He is one of the luchadors that is just one amazing match away to become one of the lucha breakout stars of 2019. Someone needs to book him for WM weekend.

I think that makes 3 new towns for Rev Pro in 2019 already, interesting.

RevPro is totally going to book PAC vs Ishii for the British HW Championship and it is going to be amazing!

NOAH looking like potentially the best promotion next year

yknow until WWE buys them

Yeah, for what I have seen of NOAH this year, I have enjoyed it more than NJPW. Good booking, making new stars, great and hard hitting matches.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
god damn this tag is fucking wild

it doesn't have the drama of that NJPW tag but these dudes are doing a bunch of shit I've never seen before

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
If someone could post the links to the extended PCO vs. WALTER and the Bandido rebound German suplex gifs, it would be helpful.

giphy.gif

Deleted member 8583

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's true, though I think Will and ZSJ are looked at differently from native Japanese talent. Unless they're gonna play the "time limit draw" game

Ishii has lost in the past to indie talent. Like his match against Hero some years ago in RevPro. Heck, Ishii lost to fucking Punishment Martinez in RoH. So he is not seen as valuable or untouchable as the top NJPW stars.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Ishii has lost in the past to indie talent. Like his match against Hero some years ago in RevPro. Heck, Ishii lost to fucking Punishment Martinez in RoH. So he is not seen as valuable or untouchable as the top NJPW stars.
Suzuki got squashed by Cody apparently in his first US appearance in like 20 years lol

I think everyone's accustomed to NJPW talent pretty much always beating whoever else is on RevPro cards at this point. Adding in politics from other Japanese companies only complicates it. Would be awesome if they gave RevPro some leeway with the guys they're using

Obviously NJPW is doing fuck all with Ishii (and even Suzuki at this point), letting RevPro use them as main eventers is rad (especially considering they'll probably end up having better matches than some of the other dudes they could send to have house show matches)

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is clearly the time at which they should take Becky off the show for 2 months so she can go film The Marine 7: Becky's Not Bad Anymore For Some Reason

Stall_19

Oct 27, 2017
How is Ricochet doing a perfect front flip over the top rope, with a smooth as hell landing in front of an aroused Velveteen Dream not in the running for gif of the year?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nominations for the 2018 Carny Awards close tomorrow, so here is one more snapshot of who has been nominated so far for each category. These lists are in no particular order. As always, if there's someone/something that you would want to vote for in the 2018 Carny Awards, the person/move/show/match/gif/whatever needs to be nominated through the Google Form.

To narrow down the nominations to 5, I'll go with a combination of how many times it has been nominated and how compelling the poster's case was. The lists are now ordered in the likelihood that they will be included in the final poll. For your convenience, I've italicized the ones who are leading the way to be nominated in each category. I generally keep to 5, but I'm willing to go to 6 for some categories. If you truly believe that a nomination, especially in the really crowded categories, should be considered for the award, post it in the thread to my attention.

I would argue that, considering how adamant you were that WWE and NXT are inseparably tied together, it's kind of strange that you separate DDT and TJPW.

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would argue that, considering how adamant you were that WWE and NXT are inseparably tied together, it's kind of strange that you separate DDT and TJPW.
TJPW should 100% be a part of DDT

From my perspective, DDT : TJPW :: Evolve : Shine.

I wouldn't lump Shine in with Evolve, even though Shine matches have taken place at Evolve shows in the past. There is a lot of shared overhead between Shine and Evolve, but they're mostly distinct companies.

Similarly, DDT and Tokyo Joshi Pro are mostly distinct companies without a lot of movement between the two. TJPW wrestlers might compete on DDT shows, but there isn't the expectation that Tokyo Joshi Pro wrestlers are being developed to work in DDT some day.

On the other hand, NXT wrestlers are being developed to work on WWE main roster shows. Wrestlers sign with NXT in order to advance to WWE main roster, regardless of whether they're male or female wrestlers.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017

I wouldn't lump Shine in with Evolve, even though Shine matches have taken place at Evolve shows in the past. There is a lot of shared overhead between Shine and Evolve, but they're mostly distinct companies.

Similarly, DDT and Tokyo Joshi Pro are mostly distinct companies without a lot of movement between the two. TJPW wrestlers might compete on DDT shows, but there isn't the expectation that Tokyo Joshi Pro wrestlers are being developed to work in DDT some day.

On the other hand, NXT wrestlers are being developed to work on WWE main roster shows. Wrestlers sign with NXT in order to advance to WWE main roster, regardless of whether they're male or female wrestlers.
Hmm. Ok that's fair

I guess it is essentially "DDT's women's division" which could be argued either way

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I disagree specifically because of the purpose of this evaluation. None of those things go into what determines "Best Promotion" in a given year. It's an arbitrary set of definitions that don't fit the category.

I would also argue that WWE ignores a vast majority of the story beats from NXT so regularly that the movement isn't significant between the two other than the body.

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I disagree specifically because of the purpose of this evaluation. None of those things go into what determines "Best Promotion" in a given year. It's an arbitrary set of definitions that don't fit the category.

I would also argue that WWE ignores a vast majority of the story beats from NXT so regularly that the movement isn't significant between the two other than the body.
Story and character development notwithstanding, wrestlers don't sign with NXT with the goal of staying in NXT for their whole career. They sign with WWE, report to the Performance Center, work in NXT, and work to advance eventually to the WWE main roster.

There's also the muddying water about talent sharing. Does Tyler Breeze's appearance in NXT count toward an evaluation of NXT or WWE as a promotion? Does how Andrade "Cien" Almas is treated on the main roster count toward evaluating NXT or WWE as a promotion? It's all one roster with fluidity going both ways. That's why NXT and WWE are a singular entity in a way that Shine and Evolve or Tokyo Joshi Pro and DDT are not.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I had maybe a quarter of a second where I thought during the open challenge "maybe things are going to change and Tyler is going to win" before I realized nah, he's there to job.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing a stint in WWE for more than a few years basically sets you up for life. Even then, a bunch of people like Kevin Owens seem to just actually like working there.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you were watching anyways, but it already happened so Merry Christmas!

I had a stream going last night, saw the opening segment and realized absolutely nothing had changed... but I walked away thinking "Oh, their solution is no more Baron Corbin, more McMahons. That's fucking dumb."

As it turns out, their actual solution is just "More McMahons", and keep the dude who is responsible for the all time low viewership IN THE MAIN EVENT

it's fucking crazy

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had a stream going last night, saw the opening segment and realized absolutely nothing had changed... but I walked away thinking "Oh, their solution is no more Baron Corbin, more McMahons. That's fucking dumb."

As it turns out, their actual solution is just "More McMahons", and keep the dude who is responsible for the all time low viewership IN THE MAIN EVENT

it's fucking crazy
Honestly, I don't care that nothing happened since it's the least important Raw in the entire year and actually wasting Becky Lynch or Charlotte Flair on this would have been a massive waste of time.

It just gives you pause that they have any clue because they're watering down Vince, HHH and Shane's brands when they announce them to make a speech and it turns out to be nothing. They at least HAVE brands where if they're showing up people seem to care for some reason.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Story and character development notwithstanding, wrestlers don't sign with NXT with the goal of staying in NXT for their whole career. They sign with WWE, report to the Performance Center, work in NXT, and work to advance eventually to the WWE main roster.

There's also the muddying water about talent sharing. Does Tyler Breeze's appearance in NXT count toward an evaluation of NXT or WWE as a promotion? Does how Andrade "Cien" Almas is treated on the main roster count toward evaluating NXT or WWE as a promotion? It's all one roster with fluidity going both ways. That's why NXT and WWE are a singular entity in a way that Shine and Evolve or Tokyo Joshi Pro and DDT are not.

As to your first point, I don't think that has anything to do with the category at hand.

As to your second, things that happen on NXT programming matter when judging NXT, and things that happen on main WWE programming matter when judging WWE. It's not that complicated.

I mean, Maki wrestled Takeshita just a few weeks ago and TJP wrestlers have held the Heavy Metal Title. So saying DDT and TJPW never have that roster fluidity is just untrue.

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017

tbf don't TJPW people work DDT shows?

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully Bex has a backup career in mind because "killing yourself for the business" isn't the way she should spend her youth given her angle is carrying the company and is largely built on increasingly dangerous bullshit.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I think TJPW should be included in DDT, but I don't really care if it isn't. I think most people who dig TJPW probably enjoy the DDT product too and combining them gives it a better chance in the race than splitting them off

I think the argument is just happening because people want to pretend NXT is its own company

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think TJPW should be included in DDT, but I don't really care if it isn't. I think most people who dig TJPW probably enjoy the DDT product too and combining them gives it a better chance in the race than splitting them off

I think the argument is just happening because people want to pretend NXT is its own company

I'm fine either way as I'm not voting any direction other than NJPW regardless.

I just think it's an inconsistency.

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not going to support splitting NXT from WWE specifically because of the roster movement.

tbf don't TJPW people work DDT shows?

Sure, just like Shine wrestlers work on Evolve shows. But TJPW's mission statement isn't to develop wrestlers for DDT. Shine's mission statement isn't to develop wrestlers for Evolve. You can't say that about NXT's relationship with WWE. And when the movement is built into the company's mission statement, then you can't say that they aren't part of the same company.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like NXT still, it just feels like it's totally full of dudes who will port badly to the main roster.

Every single dude they pushed yesterday as a call-up is someone I could see not winning Christmas Eve gauntlet matches.