• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
2017 WrassleERA Community MVP Award: @Sephzilla
giphy.gif

foggy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't vote just because I know it's a wasted vote based off of who I'm inclined to vote for. Still enjoy the spectacle though.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, excelsiorlef, regarding Darby Allin.

I probably hold Allin in such high regard because I've been watching him develop since what was basically the start of his career at Evolve 59 during the 2016 WrestleMania weekend. I remember getting up, thinking that it was another boring Ethan Page squash match because he was working a bully against trainees gimmick, and going to concession at Eddie Deen's Ranch to get a BBQ brisket sandwich because I was very hungry. It was a good sandwich; I didn't really pay attention to the match.

He gained his initial notoriety from ridiculous bumps (the bump over the top rope from Chris Dickinson at Evolve 64, the bump over the top rope to the stage from Brian Cage at Evolve 74, that ridiculous shot from Page with the shovel at Evolve 82 that cost Allin 2 months due to a broken elbow), but I've been lucky to see in person his growth from a bump machine to a compelling underdog babyface to someone who I could have seen unseating Zack Sabre Jr. as Evolve Champion during Sabre's lengthy reign. His series against Catch Point members like Drew Gulak and Timothy Thatcher showed that he was solid enough on the mat to challenge Sabre. His match against Keith Lee at Evolve 95 showed that he was compelling on offense even against larger wrestlers. It also featured another set of ridiculous bumps.

So, when Allin finally had a shot at the Evolve championship, at Evolve 99, almost two years after his debut, he was a believable challenger who had built up a fan base organically, who was now believable enough as a wrestler to have some really hot nearfalls against a dominant champion like Sabre, and who I was convinced would the title from Sabre to complete his storyline. I was genuinely shocked that Sapolsky didn't pull the trigger since the show was at La Boom, Evolve's home venue, and Sabre, even by that point, was rumored to be leaving for New Japan anyway.

And then there was the WALTER match Evolve 106. It was the match that made me travel to the Most Precious Blood Youth Center in the far end of Brooklyn during a sweltering summer. That match still stands up as a MOTYC for me. When even the maniacs on the Pro Wrestling Only message board a match, you know it was good. It was a great speed/agility vs. power style battle (!). Yeah, it played into the WALTER match cycle (WALTER beats the shit out of his opponent, gets his taken away so his opponent can work a comeback, and then WALTER WALTERs up and finishes the opponent), but it subverted the trope by letting Allin actually surprise WALTER win a pin to upset the match. I love that the match allowed WALTER to be puzzled by Allin's resilience and forcing WALTER to hesitate because he had already used all of the offense that would normally put down an opponent. Allin deserves the credit for making that part of the match work because his movement is smooth. It's not smooth the way that a Dragon Gate wrestler is smooth; he'll never be that athletic. Instead, Allin seems like he's running on instinct that makes a viewer buy into what he's doing; it's natural and chaotic enough to work, even when Allin busts out a ridiculous Coffin Drop bump because you can understand why Allin would take the risk.

The conundrum of Darby Allin is what you do with his character. At some point, the underdog has to win. Otherwise, there's no point in rooting for him. He beat WALTER, which is an accomplishment. He even beat Matt Riddle on Riddle's way out of Evolve. He has a brewing feud with Austin Theory that Sapolsky will need to pay off at some point. There's time for Allin to unseat JD Drake or Fabian Aichner for either championship. They could follow the Danielson script with him and have him win some compelling defenses before turning him heel; all of Sapolsky's champions turn heel at some point anyway. For now, however, he is one of Evolve's bright spots and one of the reasons I'll continue to think hard about supporting the company. After all, Ohno vs. Allin should be a hell of a fight this weekend.

I see. That makes sense. None of that is there when he does rando tour stops.

That's the issue for me is, the touring Allin is 100% still just a bump machine. He's great at it, but it's kinda seen it once, seen it enough. This will be my third.

Oct 25, 2017
Give it all to me. I'd love to put together a historical record of the Carnies over the years. I'm a sucker for looking at who won what over time.
I'm a pretty smart fellow, I only have responses, not my writeups on who won what. So you'd have to re-tally.

I'm sure there's an easy way to look them up at The Olde Playce based on a keyword in there. Probably "Most Underutilized Performer" would I imagine bring up only a handful of posts, some of them being results.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Fun Fact - this year's Carnies Awards is the SIXTH ANNUAL edition! We started it in 2012. Way back when.

More fun facts:

AJ Lee was the women's wrestler of the year in 2012 :|
Hell No best Tag Team

But the real good stuff is the Ashamed Moment...
Jerry Lawler having a heart attack on live TV and them continuing on
Daniel Bryan losing in 18 seconds (really motherfuckers?)
AJ Styles Custody angle (I don't remember this)

2012, my first year of ever watching wrestling. What a year.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ, rebooted ResetERA's search function is so badly broken that I couldn't find the 2017 Carny Award results through search. I had to Google "2017 Carny Awards," find the AJ Styles gif, and then dive back into ResetERA to find the 2017 Carny Award posts.

I can pass feedback to the other staff/site admins if you've got any specific problems with it. Definitely had a few problems with the search myself.

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a pretty smart fellow, I only have responses, not my writeups on who won what. So you'd have to re-tally.

I'm sure there's an easy way to look them up at The Olde Playce based on a keyword in there. Probably "Most Underutilized Performer" would I imagine bring up only a handful of posts, some of them being results.
The Old Place uses the same forum software as this place, which makes me think that the search is going to be just as broken.

Edit: Yup, I tried searching for "WrassleGAF Community MVP," "Carnies," "Carny Award," and "Most Underutilized Performer," and none of those searches pulled up the results pages. This software's search function is fucked.

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can pass feedback to the other staff/site admins if you've got any specific problems with it. Definitely had a few problems with the search myself.
In this particular instance, my search results only go back a month or so, even when searching for posts that I made. Searching for posts in one forum or sub-forum doesn't seem to work; I tried search "Carny Awards" in off-topic community, and I would get results from other fora.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
In this particular instance, my search results only go back a month or so, even when searching for posts that I made. Searching for posts in one forum or sub-forum doesn't seem to work; I tried search "Carny Awards" in off-topic community, and I would get results from other fora.

Ok, thanks. I'll raise it. I'm sure it's been mentioned before. There's still work being done I think.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
it's going to be hard to pick between Hiromu and Shibata for "comeback of the year" in the 2019 carnies

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Lol shit

Because my store is closed New Years Day I think I work the night of WrestleKingdom, normally I have Fridays off

mattsdl

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just saw that Mio Momone's going to be out for a while with a knee injury. Everything's terrible including Sunny's opinion on Die Hard.
At least we have Konami brightening our day.

It is probably going to be like those old EVE vs Ice Ribbon shows (I recommend watching them). So all the matches are going to have talent from EVE vs talent from Stardom.
Oh, yeah, that would make sense. I'll have to watch them soon-ish.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
looks like it's time to put together my carnies post on the second greatest year in wrestling history

whew

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we should change Overrated to Overpushed. Though they're not the same thing, we seem to interpret Overrated to mean Overpushed when it comes to the Carnies.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if we should change Overrated to Overpushed. Though they're not the same thing, we seem to interpret Overrated to mean Overpushed when it comes to the Carnies.
split them

overrated just means "this guy gets a lot of hype but ain't all that" or "this guy is supposed to be great but sure isn't showing it lately"

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
Man, more categories though. And Overpushed covers some of what you're talking about as well. It's always been a weird category.
I guess to me its a difference between shitting on company's view of a wrestler vs. fans' view of a wrestler

I know you don't want to add any more categories but what if we stole "PLEASE STOP" from giant bomb

Flammable D

Oct 30, 2017
I guess to me its a difference between shitting on company's view of a wrestler vs. fans' view of a wrestler

I know you don't want to add any more categories but what if we stole "PLEASE STOP" from giant bomb
Oh yeah, ditch them both and take that. Maybe with the caveat that it applies only to active wrestlers, to avoid Carny motherfucker overlap

OP
OP
Avengers23

Avengers23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, ditch them both and take that. Maybe with the caveat that it applies only to active wrestlers, to avoid Carny motherfucker overlap
If we change it to PLEASE STOP Pushing This Wrestler, it gets to some overlap with Please Retire and Carny Motherfucker.

I think I'm leaning to just changing it to The Hot Take Award for Most Overrated Wrestler, and it's up to the nominators to figure out if they want to push (ha!) wrestlers who are overrated by fans or overrated by companies.

Brian_FETO

The Million Post Man
Oct 25, 2017
ROH not using Chris Brooke's is baffling
They're apparently bringing in Haskins next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them at least start using him on shows overseas like they have been with Havoc and Haskins

Don't think he wants to sign a contract just yet though.

He's probably in the best position of a lot of his peers because his merch is like a clothing line at this point

Slightconfuse

Oct 25, 2017
They're apparently bringing in Haskins next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them at least start using him on shows overseas like they have been with Havoc and Haskins

Don't think he wants to sign a contract just yet though.

He's probably in the best position of a lot of his peers because his merch is like a clothing line at this point
AEW will probably run bucks vs CCK at ALL IN 2: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO